Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Daimo posted:

As not promised: An airplane is born into the world with no idea how to exist. I was expecting 'instant action' to take me to the pad for startup checks.

Also surprising was roll left mapped to rudder left, but pretty much my only thoughts were "make the bad noises stop".

Yeah you really have to play with your stick axis and deadzones, the joystick is not your weiner so you don't have to jerk it furiously to fly. If I could record my own flights I'd show you what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

Alright, let's get some hot goon-on-goon action going on in DCS.
YOU NEED A JOYSTICK but that is pretty much everything.

WHAT: DCS Goon get-together with Mustangs, flying in formation and taking off and helping DCS newbies with whatever they want.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Snaxx posted:

There is a separate option for cockpit resolution. It may have defaulted to low.

Yeah you're right, it was set to low. :shobon:

I upped the resolution - the default view is still farther back then I like but it's much easier to read now.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Does anyone have a good X52 profile for the P51?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Leo Showers posted:

Yeah you really have to play with your stick axis and deadzones, the joystick is not your weiner so you don't have to jerk it furiously to fly. If I could record my own flights I'd show you what I mean.

No worries, ive been playing flight sims since FS4.

But dumb question, how do you engage the huey autopilot? The default win+A does nothing and neither does remapping it :iiam:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Daimo posted:

No worries, ive been playing flight sims since FS4.

But dumb question, how do you engage the huey autopilot? The default win+A does nothing and neither does remapping it :iiam:

Sorry I only wanted to type my witty comment because I crack me up, your flying better than I did.

I'm not actually too sure with the Huey, I don't own the module so I can't tell you.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

It's possible to disable the huey autopilot in the game options, so check that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I made a training mission to get used to flying and using the F-15C radar. Apparently the MIG I had flying around for target practice still had it's guns and this was the result of going head on.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Remember to drop your tanks next time too

Yep I finally figured out that key.

Here is me after taking off engaging and destroying a "friendly" C130 (I don't know the Russian equivalent transport to use) RTBing and succesfully shutting down the plane.

I used the BVR setting with an AIM-120 even though I was well within FLOOD range. It was exciting seeing the missile actually track and engage, I still need a ton of practice but it's cool to start getting an idea on how to use the radar targeting.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 18, 2014

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Remember to drop your tanks next time too

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is the minimum range for the AIM-120B less than 10 miles? The minimum missile range bar on the HUD seems to be around that distance. That seems pretty close to me. Am I just using the wrong missile for long range engagements?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popete posted:

Is the minimum range for the AIM-120B less than 10 miles? The minimum missile range bar on the HUD seems to be around that distance. That seems pretty close to me. Am I just using the wrong missile for long range engagements?

Its a dynamic launch zone. That means that it'll grow/shrink as the target changes direction. If the target is moving away from you at a high relative speed the range of the missile will be quite short. If you're at FL400 at about mach 1 and the target is down at FL200 and flying towards you then you might get the range on the advertisement.

edit: I'm a little confused by saying long/short there. The minimum is driven more by the missile's manuverability. An AIM-9X can keep up with maneuvering targets when close, an AMRAAM with its huge booster isn't going to be able to do as well up close.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The AIM-120 is still pretty good in close. Not crazy close, but if you're moderately close, it will lock on from your wing (pitbull), and then you can get easy kills.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The AIM-120 is still pretty good in close. Not crazy close, but if you're moderately close, it will lock on from your wing (pitbull), and then you can get easy kills.

Sure, it just can't pull nearly as many G's as an AIM-9X or anything russian.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone want a coupon for 60% off a DCS module? This is for the ones purchased directly from the DCS site. First to PM me gets it.

ECIT: Claimed!

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 18, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is the AMRAAMs range also effected by your radar scan on launch? I had a wide scan range (120 degrees and probably a tall vertical scan), so I'm wondering if information being passed to the AIM-120 was limited due to my huge radar sweep and thus reducing it's range.

Actually maybe this is because I'm using the AIM-120 against a "friendly" aircraft in the mission I created so it will only work within fire and forget range where it requires no launching aircraft input and only uses it's internal radar for tracking after launch.

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 18, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone want a coupon for 60% off a DCS module? This is for the ones purchased directly from the DCS site. First to PM me gets it.

ECIT: Claimed!

Whoever got it, remember that after a couple of days, you can put this code into Steam and it will recocnize it.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 18, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure, it just can't pull nearly as many G's as an AIM-9X or anything russian.

Sure, but the AIM-9X doesn't exist in game, sooo..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Sure, but the AIM-9X doesn't exist in game, sooo..

I guess I'm playing too much falcon BMS.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Popete posted:

Is the AMRAAMs range also effected by your radar scan on launch? I had a wide scan range (120 degrees and probably a tall vertical scan), so I'm wondering if information being passed to the AIM-120 was limited due to my huge radar sweep and thus reducing it's range

Nope because when you launch you'll be in TWS or STT mode anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Popete posted:

Here is me after taking off engaging and destroying a "friendly" C130 (I don't know the Russian equivalent transport to use) RTBing and succesfully shutting down the plane.

The Il-76 is a Russian transport you can use.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I need to break open the F-15 manual and figure out how to do things other than re-create 9/11 with it. Radar is hard.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxF2z0CudM
First flight with full P-51 controls on the tarmac. Went pretty well all things considered.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We did some Goonstangin with Shine and Artless.

As pictures show, it was a complete success. The first time for both of them and went smooth as butter.

Sometimes the runway was hard to land on, what with all the debris.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Good times flying the free Mustang with Artless Meat and Vahakyla. Coordinated take-offs and flying in formation, including a conga line through some race pylons. Also Artless saying "damnit" a lot and I only rammed Vahakyla once.

Everybody should join us tomorrow at 4PM Pacific. Simply flying this old fart plane around feels hella nice, even though we're not shooting things.

I picked up Black Shark 2, so if anybody out there can help me remember how to fly this goddamn thing, holler.

e: Vahakyla's pictures above are much more honest :laffo:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Artless Meat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxF2z0CudM
First flight with full P-51 controls on the tarmac. Went pretty well all things considered.

Out of this video, the best highlight is this: http://youtu.be/hKxF2z0CudM?t=1m24s

I'd like to remind everyone of the thread rule. "Film first takeoff, post here".
Artless is the honorary goon for being the first one to do it.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 18, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Out of this video, the best highlight is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxF2z0CudM

Ahahahahahahaha

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Briefing footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmhGrJJjI7E

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

deck posted:

It's possible to disable the huey autopilot in the game options, so check that.

That was it, how strange.

-

Now how the hell do you take off in the P51? No matter how gently I do it I roll left and crash.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The key to all types of taildragger flying is judicious use of rudder. Pulling back gently on the stick to lock the tail wheel also helps. Advance the throttle more slowly so the prop wash doesn't beat your tail up before you get enough forward motion for rudder effectiveness.

You absolutely have to dominate the rudder though. That tailwheel wants you backwards and dead.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I need to break open the F-15 manual and figure out how to do things other than re-create 9/11 with it. Radar is hard.

I've been following this guys videos, they are really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWeVETFPN0

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Just had my first serious flight and it was mega:

Picked up a downed goon and a call came over the net to provide troop reinforcement

Made the pickup and flew NOE

Spotted flare from troops and circled to approach to the rear

Made the drop

Flew over enemy position to provide CAS but took heavy ground fire

Dave got hit

Took some AAA fire causing transmission damage

Limped back in slowtime for a safe shutdown

I'm changing jobs irl but when that's done and you guys need pickup, I'll be there.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess I'm playing too much falcon BMS.

Oddly, it does exist in the game files.

Same with the Longbow Hellfire. They just arent used by default :\

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 18, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

WHERE: Air Goon Mumble, Dedicated server will be posted later.

TrackIR is warmed, woman has been told, headset calibrated; just missing this information, unless we're planning on WoL mumble or CTS mumble; I have both of those in my spying capacity.

Anyone point me to the auth thread in PGS for the airgoons mumble?

KA50 update - turns out that the BS2 *upgrade* version is not compatible with the Steam version of DCS according to various threads and FAQs, and it runs in anti-pirate mode without a valid key. Activates fine on the standalone DCS world, but not the steam version.

Apparently the full standalone (not *upgrade*) keys work fine.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mumble: AirGoons.mumble.cc:31148

Game Server: LAME Goon DCS
Game password: lljk

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 18, 2014

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Phone posting because a tree just fell and took out several cars and the power lines, hence my sudden exit from Mumble. Gonna have to miss this one, unfortunately. Have fun, bitches!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Red Goon Air Race is over.
At the high point, we had 20 goons on the server screwing around with Mustangs.

After merrily learning to fly together, we air raced. Forming up on race leader, Viking, me that is, we gathered into a formation and from that on people had to fly to the north pylons, circling back to south pylons and one more lap, after which a succesful landing on Batumi had to be done and no matter how your plane looked like, you had to be able to step out of the cockpit alive and walk on the runway.

First race was won by Bear. Next race was won by Hadlock, third one by Bear and fourth one by Mike, if I recall correctly.

Any player who fell out of the game could airspawn and act as a blue shell, trying to ram race leader. At one point, Bear flew with five mustangs in hot pursuit, avoiding rammers to the best of his extent.

This was great fun, people.

One of the races was streamed here. Sorry for the streamed second monitor. http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla/b/530097068

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Fun stuff, highlight for me was "successfully" landing on the dirt track next to the airfield because of all the craters on the runway, escaping my wreckage, and promptly being slammed with several goon kamikaze.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I had a good time, I'll definitely play whenever next time is. The best part is midair collisions out of nowhere :getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you love mid air collisions from supposedly allied aircraft you should try War Thunder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
No video, but here's another newbie's DCS World Day 1 Report:

My previous sim experience was only about a month of FSX and Prepar3d, which I just bought.

I started out with the Mustang, and takeoff and flying was fine. When I was landing, I figured 100 knots would be a good full flaps, no munitions approach speed. However, it turned out that the airspeed indicator was actually in MPH, so I had to get on the power hard right as I was about to level off for landing. The torque dipped my wing into the ground and tore off the tip (and somehow made my wing full of bullet holes), but the plane survived the landing. I then did 6-7 uneventful take-off and landings before I got bored.

So I switched to the SU-25 and took off fully loaded. Once in the air, I realized that I probably should have looked up KPH-to-knots conversion before I took off. But, I figured out a good approach speed and the first take-off/landing was uneventful. On the second take-off I brought the landing gear up too early and a light tap on the runway as they were folding disabled my rear gear. The following landing was a nicely executed nose-gear-only belly landing that I kept on the runway and slid to a stop shortly before the fence at the end.

Now, to try out the weapons!