Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
2nd mission! As Cowboy5-2 I took hit 2 sam sites with HARM and scored one hit on a runway with a BLU-107!

Then I got shot down :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Damnit, I'm trying t practice landings but it keeps resetting the buttons on my joystick. :argh: AND resetting my key-binding save?!

Ok, restarting the game after fixing my controls seems to have ensured permanence. Anyways, I think I've got basic take offs and landings down.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 3, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
To streamline the campaign I added to a Falcon OP these as requirements. Not to be too spergy, but we can't herd cats when we are starting the campaign for everybody. Making others to wait for some to get their basic bearings is wasteful. Anyone needing help show up early or ask some other day. If these skills are not in basic grasp, then it is better to skip.

With the options and tutorials, these are learned in 30 minutes. We'll worth it.
My intention is not to be bossy or spergy, but the amount of goons is exploding and something needs to be done to streamline actual game days.
Like said, anyone needing help should ask and help will be given.

quote:

b]You need to know these buttons:[/b]

It is hard to not only help people use correct buttons, but to have to help them setup the shortcuts or know the kinks of their joysticks. To hop in on the campaign, you have to know where these buttons are mapped on your stick or keyboard.

Directional four keys
-DMS
-TMS
-CMS
-Slew

Single keys

-gear, default g
-jammer, default j

Skills needed:

-Takeoff from runway start (systems aligned, stores loaded, engines running, you are read from get go. Just taxi to runway and give some throttle)
-Landing
-Basic air-to-air weapons targeting and release. How to slew and how to lock. And to use master arm.
-Following a friendly, both with visual or using datalink
-Changing steerpoints

Planning, loadouts and all that can be done by people who know it as flight leaders. The way the game is made, other people can force plans and loadouts for people, thus making it much easier for others.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Is there an easier way to change steerpoints other than manually jamming the number in on the UFC STRP menu?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
S
Shift-S

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So for someone who is time conscious in the evenings, how long does an average mission run in Falcon? Doing goon flights sounds like fun, but if it's like a 2.5 hour chunk of time after 9PM CST I wouldn't be able to play and don't want to waste another goon's time teaching me what's what in the game.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Now that we have some minor rulee re: basic knowledge, each goon sortie is approx. 40 mins to an hour long. Note that you can leave earlier if you need to, and the AI will take over your plane and get you back safely.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

Now that we have some minor rulee re: basic knowledge, each goon sortie is approx. 40 mins to an hour long. Note that you can leave earlier if you need to, and the AI will take over your plane and get you back safely.

Because of the campaign limits on planes, I'm probably going to try and get landings down first because I'm utter poo poo at managing a decent glide path. Is the singleplayer BMS good for training? I installed late last night and haven't set it up yet.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Baloogan posted:

S
Shift-S

Thanks!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Because of the campaign limits on planes, I'm probably going to try and get landings down first because I'm utter poo poo at managing a decent glide path. Is the singleplayer BMS good for training? I installed late last night and haven't set it up yet.

Yeah, its decent, and the "Tactical Engagement" training missions are pretty good (make sure to check the Training Script button before you press commit.)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ooops.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They don't call them lawn darts for nothin

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:allears: Tell me about more goofy damage you can do to your plane.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Vahakyla posted:

You need to know these buttons:

It is hard to not only help people use correct buttons, but to have to help them setup the shortcuts or know the kinks of their joysticks. To hop in on the campaign, you have to know where these buttons are mapped on your stick or keyboard.

Directional four keys
-DMS
-TMS
-CMS
-Slew

Single keys

-gear, default g
-jammer, default j

Skills needed:

-Takeoff from runway start (systems aligned, stores loaded, engines running, you are read from get go. Just taxi to runway and give some throttle)
-Landing
-Basic air-to-air weapons targeting and release. How to slew and how to lock. And to use master arm.
-Following a friendly, both with visual or using datalink
-Changing steerpoints

Well, looks like I need to figure out how to shoot missiles tonight after work.

Also, using the "Keystrokes" setting as a base, I can't find an entry for the CMS directional keys. What exactly do they do? They're used to select which countermeasure program you want and then fire them, yeah?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 3, 2014

alr
May 14, 2009
They're a few lines from the top in controls, under HOTAS - etc.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, looks like I need to figure out how to shoot missiles tonight after work.

Falcon 4 BMS Tutorials: FCR, AIM-120, AIM-9, HMCS…: http://youtu.be/LiUYrtpW7ww

This video owns and you should watch it to learn how to kill bads

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

alr posted:

They're a few lines from the top in controls, under HOTAS - etc.

Not when you load "Keystrokes" as a default instead of "BMS", which assumes you have a HOTAS. The list of keybindings is completely different and/or in a different order.

alr
May 14, 2009
My bad sorry, that's what I get for skimming your post, just checked then and yeah I can't find it either, the HOTAS controls are down near the bottom but there's only the TMS and DMS hats.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No problem. There are just keybinds to fire chaff, flares, and run countermeasures program, but I can't find a bind to select which program to use, which is what I assume CMS does.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No problem. There are just keybinds to fire chaff, flares, and run countermeasures program, but I can't find a bind to select which program to use, which is what I assume CMS does.

There is a program dial in the cockpit to select countermeasure programs 1-4. Unlike the A-10C where the CMS controls the program, in the F-16 it controls the ECM, run program 1-4 (preselected on dial), or program 8.

There are some good diagrams of the HOTAS functions in the BMS manuals folder, which resides in a manuals subfolder of the BMS install directory.

Such as these:

A-A MASTER MODE:
Side stick:

Throttle:

A-G MASTER MODE:
Side stick:

Throttle:

I also came across this which may help keyboard players and should probably go in the Falcon BMS post near OP:
They should all be known by anyone playing the game either on the KB or bound to joystick...

code:
    Function				Default (from BMS.key)

Trigger				“/” on english keyboards, “-” on most other european keyboards.

Pickle				Space

TMS Up				Ctrl+Up

TMS Down				Ctrl+Down

DMS Down				Ctrl+Alt+Down

Cursor slew				Arrow keys

Run countermeasure program		Z or X

Comm 1 and 2 transmit		Alt+1 and Alt+2

Wheel brakes			K

Nose wheel steering			Shift+/ or Shift+- (same difference as Trigger)

Gear up/down			G

Speed brakes out/in			B

Dogfight mode enable/cancel		D and C

Antenna tilt down/up		F5 and F7. F6 centers.
Edited to clear up readability because posting big posts from a phone is a bad idea.

Burno fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 3, 2014

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
This game is addictively fun in multiplayer, campaign mode. I was half temped to buy the CH fighterstick and pro throttle but $200 for a modded game from 1998 is not worth that kind of investment :(

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I was looking at getting trackir... but yeah 200$ ....

Anyone know how to slave the targetting pod to the FCR in air to ground mode? It by default is slaved to the radar but sometimes I can break the link and I can't get it back.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Falcon 4 BMS Tutorials: FCR, AIM-120, AIM-9, HMCS…: http://youtu.be/LiUYrtpW7ww

This video owns and you should watch it to learn how to kill bads

I do recommend this for everyone in figuring out how to use radar and how to fire missiles effectively.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Two more buttons that have to be mapped somewhere as a requirement for the goon campaign.

Either map em to joystick or two readily available buttons on the game.
HOTAS VHF
HOTAS UHF

Tomorrow campaign continues. Read falcon OP for info.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 4, 2014

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Vahakyla posted:

Two more buttons that have to be mapped somewhere as a requirement for the goon campaign.

Either map em to joystick or two readily available buttons on the game.
HOTAS VHF
HOTAS UHF

That's the same as Comm 1 and 2 transmit (Alt+1 and Alt+2), right? Burno mentioned them a few posts up.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Zuh? Are you going to be using Teamspeak and the Teamspeak BMS server magic thing they did to give real in game radio comms?

^^ Yeah. COMM1 is UHF and COMM2 is VHF I believe. The nice thing about having the wrong radio frequencies tuned is not having to listen to that annoying guy in the tower admonishing you for landing seconds ahead of a C-7.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 4, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If we are going to use that teamspeak thing I think we should try it out first, get everyone set up and installed with it. I have a feeling it going to take hours to get right hhaha

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That and it needs Teamspeak which is pretty poo poo compared to mumble.

Finally got everything sorted out on my end so I'll likely be able to join you bros tomorrow night. Went with the X52 config located here which works brilliantly. Still need to work on a post showing poor goons how to get head tracking for next to nothing... if you're handy.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
hey do I upload the end of my first combat flight?

Things you will see:

Dead co-pilot

BEEEEEEEEP RPM LIMIT
BEEEEEEEEP HOLY gently caress INSURGENTS
BEEEEEEEEP THEY'RE ALL DEAD JOHNNY

Wishing Well came on Pandora and I couldn't shut it off

My joystick having a seizure.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

We have been trial running it right now, if anyone wants to come try it out on my server.

Everything you need is already with BMS just a matter of binding some keys and enabling it when you connect to the server.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
what channels are you guys talking on?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Burno posted:

Everything you need is already with BMS just a matter of binding some keys and enabling it when you connect to the server.

Oh right, I'd forgotten the BMS team somehow managed to get the Teamspeak guys to give them a "no questions asked" license to embed teamspeak into the game and create their IVC Client/Server.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Baloogan posted:

what channels are you guys talking on?

In Mumble? There is a DCS/Falcon channel in the middle of the War Thunder master channel.

I'm not sure on that one myself, close enough I guess.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

In Mumble? There is a DCS/Falcon channel in the middle of the War Thunder master channel.

I'm not sure on that one myself, close enough I guess.

oh I realized I had my UHF radio set up wrong.

That IVC stuff was amazingly easy to set up, I thought it was going to be terrible, but it was simple.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:allears: Tell me about more goofy damage you can do to your plane.

one of my very first flights in A10 i managed to do this;

with the throttle maxed the plane pretty much stayed in the air until i got bored

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Baloogan posted:

Anyone know how to slave the targetting pod to the FCR in air to ground mode? It by default is slaved to the radar but sometimes I can break the link and I can't get it back.

Set the TGP as sensor of interest by pressing DMS down until the MFD has a white border, then press TMS down. I think this also works with Mavericks.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

maxe posted:

one of my very first flights in A10 i managed to do this;

with the throttle maxed the plane pretty much stayed in the air until i got bored

But did you land it back at base and end up on CNN?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Remember everyvody, Falcon BMS campaign continues in four hours and thirty minutes. Read OP for info and if you have issues or questions, show up early to Mumble.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stream BMS tonight, please :( I've been streaming DCS privately for friends but Im so lovely that I dont think it'd have an audience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Stream BMS tonight, please :( I've been streaming DCS privately for friends but Im so lovely that I dont think it'd have an audience!

I'll start the stream before we start.