Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Someone sell me on the UH-1H Huey module

Are there "heli taxi" missions where I play crazy taxi in a helicopter? I have enough trouble staying in the air for 10 minutes straight, let alone learn the weapons system.

It looks pretty straight forward, dumb fire(?) rocket pods and point and shoot guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Host first and last in 3D world clears a lot of issues.

We are going to do the campaign on more of a 2-ship pair basis so that more experienced players can teach someone else.

Besides this, to play on campaign day, one HAS to know the data cartridge, how to set it and how to use weapons.

If someone does get shot down, tough luck, that is it. No scheduling of flights before the other flights have returned home.
We of course try to prevent suicide tasking and always have ample backup but sometimes you just get shot down.
Also, the take offs will be scheduled inside a ten minute window, which means that you might have to wait ten minutes before spawning in.

Ask here in this thread before Sunday about things you need help with and we shall take on those issues in the mumble.

People to ask:

Burno
Vahakyla
DSauer
Mederlock
Makrond
Wonkotron

Being able to remember your flight name and number is also important. After getting a plane, write them down.
Same thing with your radio frequencies.

Anyone who has never played falcon BMS, next Sunday is not for you. This is not to be rude, but to streamline the startup.

This game can be really confusing and capitalizing on the interest people are showing is important. I am trying my best to help everybody but to also ensure that certain game days progress smoothly. I am also a bit unsure about the direction. Falcon needs study and dedication and it can't be done completely casually. But neither do I want to scare anyone away.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 5, 2014

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Got BMS stuff installed. I'd like to run through a setup/training session before I possibly participate in anything though, as this is quite complex. I'll keep my eye out for mention of another newbie session.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

For tomorrow I may have accidentally become a SEAD expert

You too can wipe out an entire SA-2 site with minimal :effort:

If you are on mumble tomorrow I will show you the way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's always funny to see those "RoK f16s engaged DPRK mig19s".

I'd imagine in real just for a moment the mig pilot realizes that Koreas are not equal.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Someone sell me on the UH-1H Huey module

Are there "heli taxi" missions where I play crazy taxi in a helicopter? I have enough trouble staying in the air for 10 minutes straight, let alone learn the weapons system.

It looks pretty straight forward, dumb fire(?) rocket pods and point and shoot guns.

Guns and rockets are super easy to use in this. The problem is the sensitivity/finesse required for controls. If you've got rudder pedals, then gently caress yeah grab this poo poo. There's zero excuse not to. If you dont, then it depends. You'll be fighting the rudder alot, but the rest of the helo is a joy to fly. The M134's shred anything without armor. Frankly, they kill trucks etc TOO easily but I'll be damned if I complain :P

Biggest shock was learning "Hey, the collective isnt a throttle fucker. Stop using it like one you jerk." You increase it, and you'll need to apply rudder to counter it along with side-slip that the increased tail-rotor creates. You decrease it, you need to account for the drop in engine RPM and adjust the cyclic to make sure you dont drop too fast. If you're at below 20 knots, and drop above 100 feet/minute, then you're probably going to enter a vortex-ring state and plummet uncontrollably to the ground. The key to the Huey is anticipating how its going to react to your actions. You need to think ahead, but it does become more and more natural as you fly.

I still bob around alot in flight, but can land with almost certainty (but slowly :( No combat landings for me yet, and I'm not particularly accurate in hitting an exact spot). Not bad for one day though, I think!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 5, 2014

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Host first and last in 3D world clears a lot of issues.

We are going to do the campaign on more of a 2-ship pair basis so that more experienced players can teach someone else.

Besides this, to play on campaign day, one HAS to know the data cartridge, how to set it and how to use weapons.

If someone does get shot down, tough luck, that is it. No scheduling of flights before the other flights have returned home.
We of course try to prevent suicide tasking and always have ample backup but sometimes you just get shot down.
Also, the take offs will be scheduled inside a ten minute window, which means that you might have to wait ten minutes before spawning in.

Ask here in this thread before Sunday about things you need help with and we shall take on those issues in the mumble.

People to ask:

Burno
Vahakyla
DSauer
Mederlock
Makrond

Being able to remember your flight name and number is also important. After getting a plane, write them down.
Same thing with your radio frequencies.

Anyone who has never played falcon BMS, next Sunday is not for you. This is not to be rude, but to streamline the startup.

This game can be really confusing and capitalizing on the interest people are showing is important. I am trying my best to help everybody but to also ensure that certain game days progress smoothly. I am also a bit unsure about the direction. Falcon needs study and dedication and it can't be done completely casually. But neither do I want to scare anyone away.

Honestly dude I think you're doing a great job. The key is to make sure that we're making sure everyone is still having fun while keeping it organized. IVC is definitely a godsend, and I think that 2-3 man flights definitely seem like the ideal place for us to be, especially with the ease of our global UHF radio and flight only VHF. If you're getting stressed/burnt-out, feel free to ask some of the more experienced guys, I know personally I am more then happy to assist with organization/planning if it's needed.

IceLicker posted:

I was only able to make it in time for the last sortie but it was still a lot of fun and going from "how the gently caress do I turn this thing on" last week to flying missions and scoring 2 A-A kills is pretty awesome. Unfortunately, there is a level of "sperginess" required because it's 100% a SIMULATOR and not an arcade game. Although we do spawn on the runways or taxiways, everything else beyond that is probably the most complex part of the game. Also, I'd totally be down if someone could hold a "flight school" tomorrow whether it be extremely basic for anyone very new or something more advanced like COMMS (uplinking) and also actual radio communications. The more people we have the more obvious it's becoming that order and proper protocol on the radios will be imperative. Also, I'd like to learn how to drop large explosives on people's heads. Peppering an office building with my 20mm cannon just isn't an effective way to get at the enemy...

I'd be willing to do a take-off/landing/general flight pointers/dogfighting basics that I learnt the other day/anything you might have questions for tomorrow. I definitely think we should throw dogfights in once in a while because they are so much fun for so little input time and effort wise.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

When you call out a Sukhoi out loud, do you say it as one syllable ("sue") or two ("ess you")?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

When you call out a Sukhoi out loud, do you say it as one syllable ("sue") or two ("ess you")?

"ess you", but alternatively you can call the Su-27 a Flanker and a Mig-29 a Fulcrum (NATO reporting names)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I call it "Sue" since it's just a shortening of Sukhoi. Technically Mig should be "M.I.G." since it's an acronym but who cares really.

alr
May 14, 2009
Speaking of pronunciation, how do you pronounce "Shkval" for the Black Sharks systems?

deck
Jul 13, 2006

It means "squall" and it's pronounced very similarly to the English squall, but replace the "squ" with "shkv". My usual mistake is to forget it's one syllable because it's an unnatural string of consonants in English, so it comes out shick-val.

deck fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 5, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've always said Shiv-all, but sort of squish it together like it was one syllable.

In Falcon 4 if you see an SU-27 on your RWR you're probably better off asking your wingman to tell your wife you love her rather than call it out because there's likely already an R-77 flying towards you and in a moment you'll here the pip, pip, pip sound of its active seeker, then there will be fire. The R-77 is the Russian AMRAAM. Only it has better range and speed. Like the AMRAAM it gives no fucks for chaff, it homes in on your jammer and it attacks from a top down direction that makes it nearly impossible to dodge. Its the Vladimir Putin of missile.

In the campaign SU-27s came into the fight when China throws in with the DPRK. I hope they've fixed the issue with SU-27s and Mig-29s having the same RADAR and hence the same RWR symbol. A Mig-29 is manageable, an SU-27 is the end of your flight.

Edit: Looking at the game's weapon database, the R-77 and AIM-120 use nearly identical stats. The game thankfully doesn't model the IR version of the R-77 which does everything the radar version does except give you a ten second warning that you're about to be an explosion.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 5, 2014

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Personally I think "Archer Inbound!" is the worst feeling in F4. Might as well get voice command software to recognize it and just punch out as soon as it plays.

If DCS is going to have a sale they should add some keys to steam beforehand, FC3 still won't activate :mad:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Program 5 on my EWS is usually set to dump 5 flares in half a second and repeat that another second later specifically for IR A-A missiles. Never seems to work, but sure makes my death look pretty. Flares are generally effective against MANPADs at least.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DSauer posted:

Program 5 on my EWS is usually set to dump 5 flares in half a second and repeat that another second later specifically for IR A-A missiles. Never seems to work, but sure makes my death look pretty. Flares are generally effective against MANPADs at least.

Works for me if I see the launch, pull a split s as fast as I can, followed by whatever jinks and stuff thrown in. Defeats them maybe 25-50 percent of the time if they're fired in a high g turning engagement

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A sale! :rms:

Does fc3 come with the new F15? Is CA worth it at that price?

I just hope they fix easy radio in the campaign soon . I was having so much fun and it's ruined now :smith:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The RWR has difficulty between Su27 and mig 29 due to the profile being really similar, only size being different.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Situation is kind of flipped in DCS where only the Mig-29S can carry R-77s. Of course the missile modeling now is so weak that a <M> on your RWR is more like "Hey FYI, there seems to be a missile out there. You might want to do something about it sooner or later, if you're not too busy and have some free time. Otherwise no biggie. Just thought you'd like to know."

Edit: DCS models the Su-27S, and I'm guessing Falcon has the Su-27SM. Different avionics packages.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Vahakyla posted:

People to ask:

Burno
Vahakyla
DSauer
Mederlock
Makrond
wonkotron

I know the basics of flight, autopilot, comms, and A-A combat (minus habitually declaring targets) so if noobs want to learn how to splash bandits friendlies I added myself to the list.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Situation is kind of flipped in DCS where only the Mig-29S can carry R-77s. Of course the missile modeling now is so weak that a <M> on your RWR is more like "Hey FYI, there seems to be a missile out there. You might want to do something about it sooner or later, if you're not too busy and have some free time. Otherwise no biggie. Just thought you'd like to know."

Edit: DCS models the Su-27S, and I'm guessing Falcon has the Su-27SM. Different avionics packages.

The missiles in DCS also seem to fly only direct profiles, unlike BMS where the BVR missiles will climb to like double the launch altitude and enter terminal stage with a lot of kinetic energy

This also has the added effect of really lovely ranges in DCS if you want to actually get a kill

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Burno posted:

The missiles in DCS also seem to fly only direct profiles, unlike BMS where the BVR missiles will climb to like double the launch altitude and enter terminal stage with a lot of kinetic energy

This also has the added effect of really lovely ranges in DCS if you want to actually get a kill

Yeah, the DCS Radar missiles (despite the protests from the devs otherwise) are hosed IMO. Watching an AMRAAM get its energy bled while fired FIVE MILES from the target is a bit bizarre to say the lease!

EDIT: Also sry for bailing on the stream, I know I hassle you all alot to stream the sessions. Its just that my Huey had downloaded, so... I'm sure you understand :P

http://i.imgur.com/osNMDBS.jpg <--- click because tables

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 5, 2014

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Here is the Falcon BMS 4.32 Flight Manual for spergs who care:
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/BMS432_dash1.pdf

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

concise posted:

Here is the Falcon BMS 4.32 Flight Manual for spergs who care:
http://www.candyparty.com/ST/Download/Checklists/BMS/Document/BMS432_dash1.pdf

There is a manual folder in the BMS install directory with this and a ton of other manuals/guides. I recommend reviewing at least the BMS specific ones, but there are also threat guides and others from previous falcon 'mods' like FreeFalcon and Open Falcon.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm running a falcon bms server for a friend; if anyone else would like to jump in that would be cool too. Just doing AI planned campaign missions and having fun.

Edit: Server down! Awesome! Check out Vaha's recording here: http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla/b/535730724

I've got IVC running too. Please set bandwidth to 200.
UHF 1 is for global comms.

Flying with the 120th FS.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
:siren:
My Flamin Cliff key works on Steam now.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Wooper posted:

:siren:
My Flamin Cliff key works on Steam now.

Cool, mine too. Thanks for the heads up.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

DSauer posted:

Holyshit the TrackIR is Expensive!

I just want to point out that one of the big limiting factors to a head tracking setup like you describe is the viewing angle on LEDs can be fairly limited unless you get some pretty specialized ones. It would be better to just attach the LEDs to your camera so that they face you, and then make a couple targets with retroreflective tape on them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.twitch.tv/kalleerikvahakyla/

Streaming some Falcon with a couple of other people.

I am Shark 4-2.
BARCAP Over the DMZ.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Lee Outrageous posted:

I just want to point out that one of the big limiting factors to a head tracking setup like you describe is the viewing angle on LEDs can be fairly limited unless you get some pretty specialized ones. It would be better to just attach the LEDs to your camera so that they face you, and then make a couple targets with retroreflective tape on them.

You can either up the amperage or use wax paper or something to cause the IR light to scatter more. I read you can also scratch up the flat surface and it'll also work quite well.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Lee Outrageous posted:

Yep that's why I recommend the OSRAM SFH485P. Its several times more expensive than a typical LED but has a wide view angle and are ridiculously bright, so even if you go out of view angle you'll still likely be able to track off the IR light bleed. Using IR LEDs and filtering out the visible spectrum also helps tremendously.

GoldenNugget posted:

You can either up the amperage or use wax paper or something to cause the IR light to scatter more. I read you can also scratch up the flat surface and it'll also work quite well.

Turns out that baked Fimo is a really good IR refractor and you can stick tiny balls of it to the end of a bright IR LED to act as a glow orb.

Read up on datalink usage and it turns out I was accidentally using it correctly last night. Bug a target and hit IFF OUT/CommSwitchLeft and it transmits the bugged target position and altitude to everyone on the DLink net. Pressing the numbers 1-4 on the right side of the FCR let's you assign targets to individual flight members as well as indicating the target that you're taking yourself.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

GoldenNugget posted:

I read you can also scratch up the flat surface and it'll also work quite well.

This doesn't actually work all that well, I tried it with extremely fine grit sand paper and it was just worse overall than a regular LED. What I found is that with domed LEDs You can get about an 80 degree viewing angle from your run of the mill 5-10 degree by grinding off the dome and then polishing it until it is clear again. Another thing that helps is to put a chamfer on the outer edge, albeit a very small one. Though even then I still had issues with the camera being able to pick up the LED over the background (bear in mind I don't yet have a good visible light filter yet) so it was losing track of them at about 30 degrees.

People have apparently had really good results with the Fimo clay though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Scoring a gun kill on a DPRK Mig21.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

But did you shout "GUNS GUNS GUNS" while doing it?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Doing air to air refueling is the most frustrating thing in the Viper. The plane is so responsive you need to handle the stick with a feather or you're going to PIO all over the place. I've had to discipline the tanker three times now with my guns over its inability to stay still in my HUD.

(It spoofed two of my sidewiders somehow...)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Lee Outrageous posted:

This doesn't actually work all that well, I tried it with extremely fine grit sand paper and it was just worse overall than a regular LED. What I found is that with domed LEDs You can get about an 80 degree viewing angle from your run of the mill 5-10 degree by grinding off the dome and then polishing it until it is clear again. Another thing that helps is to put a chamfer on the outer edge, albeit a very small one. Though even then I still had issues with the camera being able to pick up the LED over the background (bear in mind I don't yet have a good visible light filter yet) so it was losing track of them at about 30 degrees.

People have apparently had really good results with the Fimo clay though.

Or just use the OSFRAM IR LEDs that already have flat chamfered surfaces and a wide view angle to begin with.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How is BMS in terms of performance? My PC can run DCS on mostly high settings. I know the graphics aren't as fancy with Falcon but how does the dynamic campaign and all those AI flights affect performance? Does Falcon actually simulate all the flights in real time? Or just generate them within a certain radius of your plane? Are you able to interact with allied AI flights, i.e. call for help from friendly CAP?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I've had nothing but silky smooth performance at all times. And yeah, all those flights exist in the game world - on a mission today I had what must have been 30 friendlies on my radar.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How is BMS in terms of performance? My PC can run DCS on mostly high settings. I know the graphics aren't as fancy with Falcon but how does the dynamic campaign and all those AI flights affect performance? Does Falcon actually simulate all the flights in real time? Or just generate them within a certain radius of your plane? Are you able to interact with allied AI flights, i.e. call for help from friendly CAP?

Falcon uses a concept of bubbles. AI within your bubble get fully simulated and those outside of it use a simplified mathematical probability simulation. You can easily interact with flights within your own package and you can use the AWACS to call for help if one is available. The AI also does this. Getting into a fight with a flight of hostile aircraft is a good way to get more of them coming your way. Ground forces also work this way. The campaign also simulates supply levels; taking out supply centers and factories and such will reduce the rate that units replenish. Air Defense systems also simulate an Integrated Air Defense System (IADS). SAMS, AAA and CAP talk to each other and work together to kill you. Taking out sensors in that network make the AI less effective and you can destroy command and control centers to make them even less effective.

BMS should run flawlessly on any modern system. If you can run DCS without issues you've got way more horsepower than you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

I'm sorry Aeroflot :(

E: I turned up my settings, drat that screen shot is pretty