Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is it a good idea to just focus on learning one plane to start? Like if I get really good at the F15C will that translate to flying a MIG or SU?

I'm guessing of the FC3 bundle the F15C is probably the best to start with as it has the advanced flight model and other fancy stuff. But I'm also interested in jumping into some cool Russian fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Shine posted:

Anybody have tips to make this game run better without killing all the graphics settings, or is this a case of "old engine just runs lovely now, welp"?

If you've got a reasonably modern card it seems to be mostly CPU bound.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Shanakin posted:

If you've got a reasonably modern card it seems to be mostly CPU bound.

Gotcha. I'll see if there are physics things I can turn down, then.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Shine posted:

Anybody have tips to make this game run better without killing all the graphics settings, or is this a case of "old engine just runs lovely now, welp"?

go to your game directory/Bazar/Effects/PFX/high/ and rename or delete ground1 and ground2.

This helped me alot with framedrops in ground attack planes and helos when there are a lot of explosions and smoke on screen. If it doesnt help enough you can also try renaming/deleting ground1 and ground2 in .../PFX/medium.

Visual impact seems minimal.

Mike-o posted:

Speaking of graphics, I always see people play with the mirrors off. Do they do that to increase performance or what?

Yes. PiP is a performance hog in this game. I also never encountered a situation where mirrors would have helped/saved me, but that might just be me being a bad pilot :)

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of graphics, I always see people play with the mirrors off. Do they do that to increase performance or what?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Yeah, Picture in picture is one thing I forgot about. So mirrors and targetting screens like the shkval and TGP will drop your frames when in use. You can reduce the resolution of these in your settings if you want but I prefer to keep them high for the extra clarity in the targeting screens.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Popete posted:

Is it a good idea to just focus on learning one plane to start? Like if I get really good at the F15C will that translate to flying a MIG or SU?

I'm guessing of the FC3 bundle the F15C is probably the best to start with as it has the advanced flight model and other fancy stuff. But I'm also interested in jumping into some cool Russian fighters.

Su27 is also pretty far in development. MIG has the least amount of love in it, but is still workable.

F15C radar functions differently than the Su27. In addition the Su27 relies on a thermal seeker for ninja attacks and can fire much farther away without being detected than the F15C. They are planes of roughly equal size and characteristics, but their systems operate quite differently.

We are going to fly DCS tonight and most likely some F15Cs, if you are looking to hop in with us.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Going to download DCS Huey tonight, could somebody tell me what I need to know to get started?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Su27 is also pretty far in development. MIG has the least amount of love in it, but is still workable.

F15C radar functions differently than the Su27. In addition the Su27 relies on a thermal seeker for ninja attacks and can fire much farther away without being detected than the F15C. They are planes of roughly equal size and characteristics, but their systems operate quite differently.

We are going to fly DCS tonight and most likely some F15Cs, if you are looking to hop in with us.

Cool I'll try and jump on later. I've taken off and landed the F15C so I can at least fly around, I have no idea about the weapons systems yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Daimo posted:

Going to download DCS Huey tonight, could somebody tell me what I need to know to get started?

gently caress helicopters.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Do you guys use imperial when you're flying, or metric? I switched it to the latter because I'm used to War Thunder, but I'll switch back to imperial if that's what everybody else uses, so I'm not doing terrible math in my head when people tell me how far away poo poo is, and such.

I'll probably snag Black Shark 2 tonight because helicopters own.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I will beat the poo poo out your rear end, Charles.

Does the multiplayer support co-op in a single aircraft? Like, for attack choppers and such with both pilot and gunner, can you do that together? I think Longbow 2 had that decades ago and I always wanted to try it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm only sorry its not DCS: Chinook.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Daimo posted:

Record video of first flight. Post here.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

deck posted:

Hello new unofficial thread rule!

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Popete posted:

When I started off with fighters, I picked the F-15 and spent some time on it before moving on to other planes. Many skills do carry over, but each plane has its unique tactics and to get good it's worth sticking to one plane for a while. Definitely check out the Russian birds though. Since they will be your primary opposition in the F-15, it's good to be familiar with their weapons, sensors, and capabilities, even if you're primarily an Eagle driver.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So more serious Huey tips: turn on rudder trim (er, whatever it's really called). Remember that after you set the trim your joystick will not respond until it goes back to neutral.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Shine posted:

I will beat the poo poo out your rear end, Charles.

Does the multiplayer support co-op in a single aircraft? Like, for attack choppers and such with both pilot and gunner, can you do that together? I think Longbow 2 had that decades ago and I always wanted to try it.

Last I heard there were plans to make this possible in the Huey, but I'm not sure if there have been any updates on that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Last rumor/info on dual cockpits comes from the development of F15E Strike Eagle module as a quote of "We are under strict NDA in the case of discussing dual control development in regards to DCS F15E and other DCS modules".

Whatever that means.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Das Butterbrot posted:

go to your game directory/Bazar/Effects/PFX/high/ and rename or delete ground1 and ground2.

This helped me alot with framedrops in ground attack planes and helos when there are a lot of explosions and smoke on screen. If it doesnt help enough you can also try renaming/deleting ground1 and ground2 in .../PFX/medium.

Visual impact seems minimal.

You can also delete/rename DCS\Bazar\Effects\PFX\high\smokecloud.pfx to disable the cloud of smoke that comes up when you fly too close to the ground in the KA-50. That dumb cloud kills my FPS.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Vahakyla posted:

Last rumor/info on dual cockpits comes from the development of F15E Strike Eagle module as a quote of "We are under strict NDA in the case of discussing dual control development in regards to DCS F15E and other DCS modules".

Whatever that means.

I would love to just fly an press the fire button while some nerd does the boring stuff like helmet tracking lock-ons and navigation.

Haha if this happeneed, this game would turn into that one Battlefield 3 level so fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_MmOgBw1Q

You know all I'm gonna do is bust Cobras across the map when they update the Su-27 just like in that video except get shot down BVR.

deck posted:

Shine posted:

Hello new unofficial thread rule!

Vaha, can you put this in the OP please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr94DmuzsLo

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

The tutorial for the Huey is actually pretty good, I'd recommend at least going through the start-up to landing parts of it.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
I like the Huey because I can bind its controls without losing my mind.

Has anybody tried the X-65? I want to see if the X-55 is any good but who knows maybe they are both the worst.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Tatrakrad posted:

Has anybody tried the X-65? I want to see if the X-55 is any good but who knows maybe they are both the worst.

The X-65 got discontinued pretty quickly for a good reason. I'd wait for reviews of the X-55.

Alternatively you could just do what I do and use a cheap Logitech joystick for my left hand and a better one (like a FLY 5 or that thrustmaster one that everyone likes) for the right. It works surprisingly well, especially for flying helicopters and for space-sims, where you can use one joystick to control pitch and the other to control directional thrust. The only disadvantage is that you're stuck with whatever cheap sliders for your throttle.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Did they ever make interactive tutorials for the Frogfoot like they have for the paid modules or is it all 30 minute FMVs still?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tatrakrad posted:

I like the Huey because I can bind its controls without losing my mind.

We have someone that suggested that the X-55 blows the other Saitek/Mad Catz sticks out of the water. I'm waiting for stocks to pick up, then I'll probably buy one.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The X-65 got discontinued pretty quickly for a good reason. I'd wait for reviews of the X-55.

Alternatively you could just do what I do and use a cheap Logitech joystick for my left hand and a better one (like a FLY 5 or that thrustmaster one that everyone likes) for the right. It works surprisingly well, especially for flying helicopters and for space-sims, where you can use one joystick to control pitch and the other to control directional thrust. The only disadvantage is that you're stuck with whatever cheap sliders for your throttle.

A centering axis like a joystick seems weird for helicopter collective. I guess you just get used to it? Seems like a neat idea otherwise.

The X55 looks pretty cool, but I'm finally getting rid of the last of my Saitek peripherals and I'll never look at them again. Too much heartache.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

DeathSandwich posted:

Did they ever make interactive tutorials for the Frogfoot like they have for the paid modules or is it all 30 minute FMVs still?

In the original Lock-on, those FMVs were actual interactive missions. Some time in between its release and the release of Flaming Cliffs 2 they got replaced with those FMVs of someone playing the mission. For the life of me I can't figure out why, unless the triggers got broken or something like that.

Either way, the best way to learn the frogfoot is to make a mission with a couple of trucks sitting around and practicing with using the TV pod (assuming you're talking about the 25T and not the original) to find them. All you really need to do is know how to cage and uncage the TV screen, turn on the targeting laser, and fire. That gets you laser guided missiles and the like. Bombs and rockets are pretty easy in CCIP (CCRP is wonky on most of the FC3 planes).

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I'm trying to figure out the DLC options on steam right now. Is the F-15C that is included in Flaming Cliffs 3 the same as the $25 F-15C that you can buy separately?

Took the Frogfoot for a spin today for the first time, and somehow managed to take off, fly around, and land without any issue. I guess everything I learned from FSX years ago stuck around.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to program my X52. I've had it for a while but never got around to trying to set up a profile. Anyone have any tips for doing that (or an .pr0 file they can link to?)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^^^^^ Yes those are all just planes from FC3. I wouldn't buy any of the individual FC3 planes, just wait for FC3 to go on sale.

In the original Lock-on, those FMVs were actual interactive missions. Some time in between its release and the release of Flaming Cliffs 2 they got replaced with those FMVs of someone playing the mission. For the life of me I can't figure out why, unless the triggers got broken or something like that.

Some of the training missions do work, but they tend to be the very simple training missions, so I guess they just decided they'd make most of it into videos and have a few interactive missions where people could learn the basics.

Sadly none of the Ka-50's training missions work though, I wish I had a 2nd monitor so I could have the training video up and fly at the same time rather than constantly alt-tabbing.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 15, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pkells posted:

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to program my X52. I've had it for a while but never got around to trying to set up a profile. Anyone have any tips for doing that (or an .pr0 file they can link to?)

I tend to map in the game itself rather than mess with the profile designer. Given my levels of experience, I wouldn't take that as any suggestion of the 'correct' way to do things.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Those profile programs are necessary to utilize the different "modes" on those devices that have them, but I've never bothered actually setting up a profile across various modes. I just make everything fit on one and use a keyboard for the rest.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Still dont know why they're doing the AH-1G :( Vietnam-era model that cant even use TOW's IIRC.

Why not the E or later? I wanna get funky with the M197...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The conflict and systems are focused on earlyish 1990's.
I can't understand either why Sabres and early planes are in the production queue for something where they are obsolete by design.

Mig21 will be great but for what?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Vahakyla posted:

The conflict and systems are focused on earlyish 1990's.
I can't understand either why Sabres and early planes are in the production queue for something where they are obsolete by design.

Mig21 will be great but for what?

Being my pimp mobile.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vahakyla posted:

Flaming Cliffs 3

has lower simulation, softcore, representations of the F-15C Eagle, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29 and Su-25. It is the collection of aircraft from the past games.
These do not have clickable cockpits, instead relying on keyboard shortcuts to function.
These planes are all promised to get more attention and upgrades in the future, but these are most likely lies and optimistic talks. The F15C is currently farthest, having recently received a Professional Flight Model, some minor systems upgrades and a 6DOF cockpit for better immersion.
FYI both the A-10A and Su-25 have 6DOF cockpits and advanced flight models and in fact they've had them for a while, the F-15C is just the latest one to be updated (the way you have it written there implies the F-15C is the only one to have these features).

Well they weren't really "interactive tutorials" per say. The missions would play out by themselves and you'd watch as the instructor explained everything to you. At any time you could jump in and take control... which would turn off the instructor and tutorial prompts. :cripes:

deck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYkF-PV9v0s
:v:

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

Sadly none of the Ka-50's training missions work though, I wish I had a 2nd monitor so I could have the training video up and fly at the same time rather than constantly alt-tabbing.

Try these ones, they work pretty well.

Dandywalken posted:

Still dont know why they're doing the AH-1G :( Vietnam-era model that cant even use TOW's IIRC.

Why not the E or later? I wanna get funky with the M197...

I'm guessing it's because it's so similar to the huey, it must be easier than adding in a whole new class of guided weapon system.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The training pages for the Su25T is a mix between videos and actual mission. The missions are actually decent, and I learned the plane(before the latest patch) using these.
The description is very vague regarding if it's a video or not, but I think videos are described as "missions" and interactive mission describes as "lessons" or some such thing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Leo Showers posted:

Being my pimp mobile.

I see you are in it, but who's the pimp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

pkells posted:

I'm trying to figure out the DLC options on steam right now. Is the F-15C that is included in Flaming Cliffs 3 the same as the $25 F-15C that you can buy separately?

Took the Frogfoot for a spin today for the first time, and somehow managed to take off, fly around, and land without any issue. I guess everything I learned from FSX years ago stuck around.

For the A-10C, BS2, Huey, and P-51, I would just go onto ED's website and go into their user downloads section and look there. The A-10C and Huey have some especially good saitek SST profiles with good pictures that illustrate the controls that you can print off or have on a second monitor