Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I installed the game and per the rules made a video of me starting the engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yXXv2_-3U
I had more trouble getting the stupid OBS software to record than getting the engine to start...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

DSauer posted:

Holyshit the TrackIR is Expensive!

I just want to point out that one of the big limiting factors to a head tracking setup like you describe is the viewing angle on LEDs can be fairly limited unless you get some pretty specialized ones. It would be better to just attach the LEDs to your camera so that they face you, and then make a couple targets with retroreflective tape on them.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

GoldenNugget posted:

I read you can also scratch up the flat surface and it'll also work quite well.

This doesn't actually work all that well, I tried it with extremely fine grit sand paper and it was just worse overall than a regular LED. What I found is that with domed LEDs You can get about an 80 degree viewing angle from your run of the mill 5-10 degree by grinding off the dome and then polishing it until it is clear again. Another thing that helps is to put a chamfer on the outer edge, albeit a very small one. Though even then I still had issues with the camera being able to pick up the LED over the background (bear in mind I don't yet have a good visible light filter yet) so it was losing track of them at about 30 degrees.

People have apparently had really good results with the Fimo clay though.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Nomenclature posted:

After playing with the free DCS Su-25T for a few weeks, I just bought Flaming Cliffs. I flew the A-10A for the first time today, and holy poo poo, this thing is ground-attack easy mode compared to the Su-25T! Now I'm thinking about getting the A-10C. Do you guys think it adds enough to the A-10A to make it worth the $16 it's on sale for?

The only thing the SU-25 is worth is being a faster missile cart then the A-10. Otherwise it is a total pig.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

DSauer posted:

"JDAMs at high speed"

Something just randomly came to mind with the talk of JDAMs and those B61s. There was a tactic employed by SAC medium bombers carrying those things to basically lob them into a target zone by pulling an Immelmann and releasing the bomb at 45 degrees. They did that partly because the high speed of the bomber carrying it allowed it to throw it a fair distance to avoid the blast. It then occurred to me that you could probably do the same thing with some JDAMs at mach 2 and keep clear of areas with heavy AA. Anyone ever tried this?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Dandywalken posted:

Downed 2 23's and a 29A. Man I'm rusty as gently caress after just a week out of play.

Sorry I had to duck out guys, cleaning etc called. Good luck on the 2nd BARCAP!

Got 2 23s and damaged another 2 aircraft on my first session in BMS. Only got shot down twice!

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

I highly recommend using OpenTrack over Freetrack now. It uses the same point tracker plugin as Freetrack but the Accela Filter MK4 included in OpenTrack is a significant improvement over the Accela Filter MK2 in Freetrack. The author recently pushed a version that greatly improves the responsiveness as well.

Here a link to my profile if you want something to get you started. My Accela Filter settings are very sporty though. The default settings would offer a softer feel.

Digging this up from way back because reasons.
Where is the installation file for opentrack in that github mess?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

MrOnBicycle posted:

Scroll down past the file list and there a link to binaries.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/544fbhsokdpy3n7/AAAKwl6BluqwT9Xn2slyp0dCa

Ok, I came across that page but I have no idea what a tar.xz file is. How do I open this?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
How do I get head tracking set up in BMS? I have opentrack with a point model that works fine in the config screen for opentrack but I can't get it working in BMS. What protocol/whatever options do I need to have set?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

Ordered some electronic bits to make some more head tracking rigs for some buddies and UPS helpfully shipped them to the wrong side of the continent and wrong country; if you live in Georgia give me back my LEDs, they don't even emit visible light. They're predicting only a single day's delay getting it to me. Airplanes rule.

When you make your tracking reference models do you use 3 point hat or 3 point side clip style? Do you have a preference?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

Every now and then I like to load 12 MK-20 Rockeyes, set them to a very high burst altitude and dive toss them into a fixed SA-2 site all at once. Horribly inaccurate but quite a show. Dive Toss would supposedly work rather well with JDAMs.

I wonder just how far you could divetoss a bomb... Get something like an F-15 up really high and fast and toss it from up there, maybe that could be useful. Can you tell how far weapons traveled in the replay program?

Also, does the game properly simulate stealth for the B-2 and other aircraft like the F-117?

Side note. All the trouble I was having with the mavericks as I found out was because the game decided that I did not need cage/uncage weapon bound to a key at some point in time.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I had to switch back to mouselook becuase the head tracking setup I have was giving me none stop trouble. But now I have another problem! Mouse look is not working! I turned off all the settings in the advanced page to get it back to normal and it does not work, even setting the view key mappings doesn't work anymore.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Das Butterbrot posted:

Try pressing alt+c while in a plane/heli. That's the shortcut to enable/disable clickable cockpit/freeview iirc. Other than that, go to the "General" tab in control options, click "axis assign" and make sure mouse x/y are set to control view.

Sorry I forgot to mention its for BMS. Alt-c is mouselook in DCS right?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

bobthethurd posted:

Haven't booted it in a few weeks. Ran into the issue of all my GPS guided bombs not dropping even though I had lovingly created the perfect scenario for them to drop, then found out it was because I wasn't booting up the navigation system in the CDU.

I have been having non-stop issues with JDAMs as well. How do you do this? The simplest fix I could come up with was to just turn off CCRP mode and put it in manual which seems to work, but I no longer get an indexer telling me when I am in range.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Vahakyla posted:

So for the coming sunday, the option is to fly a USAF Block 50, Israeli Block 50s and 52s and then there is the Sufa (Storm Falcon). A fat, two seater that is specific to Israeli Air Force. And it is pretty badass.

So not much will change. Sauer posted the guide for the campaign here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post432618183

This also includes the guide for downloading and installing the campaign. Spoiler alert: it is loving easy.

Did Israel survive the first wave of Syrian aircraft after the first strike? Cause sometimes I hear the ai is too stupid to leave a couple barcap flights up in the air and gets obliterated.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
As some of you know I recently purchased a Saitek X-55, and Burno suggested I write a trip report.

Trip report: poo poo's busted. The two hat switches on the throttle do not register any input when pressed upwards... Currently talking to a service rep to get a replacement hopefully.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

This is the modified campaign save file. Unzip it into the same folder indicated above, "<Falcon 4 BMS Folder>/Add-On Israel/Campaign/Israel". Vaha will be using it this weekend and the rest of you can use it as well for your own single-player campaign if you like. Its just a saved game with the clock stopped at zero hour and the squadron above added. The 77th has AI ATO tasking disabled by default so that we can frag our own flights.

I picked this up and put it in the directory but I can't connect.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

EpicPhoton posted:

What's the keybind that opens the canopy and kicks the bombs off your plane when they won't release?

What kind of bomb are you trying to drop?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
How do I stop the campaign AI from fragging flights in a particular squad in BMS?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I thought so, I had unchecked the "set by HQ" box when I started the campaign I am playing but it kept fragging flights for whatever reason. I then tried just setting the priority sliders all to zero after it kept doing it though not sure if that did anything yet.

Also noticed this last night.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I don't know why this is but every time I join multiplayer lately any A-G ordinance I am carrying just decides that it doesn't want to do anything that day. Had some mavericks that decided they would turn back off after I turn them on... Then won't uncage when they finally stay on. I never have problems like this on my own. This game is so drat frustrating sometimes!

*Fragged a different flight and the problem went away. Still not sure what was wrong.

Lee Outrageous fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 10, 2014

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Propagandist posted:

That was fun today. I think a few of us new guys are starting to get more of the hang of things. The Cowboy1 first flight didn't have many targets, but we got them all and hosed up an airfield pretty good. I fragged a solo flight and went hunting, found a shitload of ground targets south of Damascus. One SA-something decided to take a shot at me, but missed. Next time we go hunting I think we should focus on central Beirut or Damascus. Everything in between has gotten proper hosed.

Also I think I figured out markpoint designation and sharing, so next time if I'm flight lead hopefully we'll be more efficient. "THAT'N DOWN THERE, BY THE SAND" wasn't very descriptive. But hey, marking a target with black smoke works p. ok too.

Ya, it's really tough to give a descriptive position when the terrain is all brown and slightly different brown.

Creating markpoints and sharing them is pretty easy it looks like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWyvJ99L2k4

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
Anyone know how to get weapons added to a squad in a campaign save? Mission commander doesn't want to let me do it for some stupid reason.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
I am trying to change the supply quantity of weapons like the B61, nothing silly like trying to put a Moskit on it or anything. I tried opening the page in MC that shows the supply quantity for individual squads and changing the availability of the B61 to a none zero number but it does not save.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Propagandist posted:

I wonder if I can put AIM-54s on an F-16.

Would it even function beyond 20 miles if you could?

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Propagandist posted:

No idea.

It might just be modeled the same as an AMRAAM but with a larger effective range. It might not get a lock at all. It might break the game. I'll find out.

Not that I really know much about modifying the game but it would appear that simply adding the missile to the squad inventory is not going to cut it. Also I wanted to test to see if the Phoenix could even hit something past 20 miles but there is no cockpit I think, unless it only has a 3d cockpit and the view bug I am stuck with is preventing me from looking around... You should set up a custom tactical engagement with an F-14 to see if it will even work at long range.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

Spent almost the entire day fixing a single CNC program that arrived at my machine in really horrible shape. No man should ever have to tweak raw G-Code.

Weeny man! G-code is simple and easy. :colbert:

I kid though, I have done a good deal of tweaking G-code at the machine console, even rewriting parts of tool paths and making simple programs for various tasks. But I also was using a machine with a kick rear end user interface (Haas). If I had to do that on a Fanuc system I think my head would have exploded.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

Its a Biesse Arrow FT wood machining station for MDF and Particle Board. Routing contours and nested panels and such; significantly more forgiving than metals. The controller is probably the best I've ever used in a late 1990s machine; nice, fast DOS interface. We're required to use the programs we get exported from MasterCam by our engineer and he doesn't really know to do more than press the "Make DXF into G-Codes please!" button. Most of the tweaking is just moving bore holes around because tool offsets in MasterCam are really hard it seems and when you scale your drawings down you totally don't need to put the screw holes back where they belong. Our costumers don't actually want furniture that can be assembled.

That's hilarious because scaling drawings in CAD software is literally just drag a selection box on it and click the "scale" command whatever it be named for that software suite. All reference geometry should not be changed, this also applies to Mastercam. It's just a CAD suite to generate G-code... Tool offsets in Mastercam are also dead simple, you tell it to do a certain type of cut on a geometry and define an offset if needed. Which if you are doing tool offsets it sounds to me like it's an end mill of some kind doing a stepped bore, I forget the actual name for that. You engineer sounds hilariously bad at his job. Reminds me of my old job.

We want to hold 0.003" tolerances on our parts from machines we retool to different operations daily with aluminum fixtures. :laffo:

Or. We keep getting steps on this radius cut on this particular part, what are these machines doing wrong? This one I figured out when I saw the G-code flashing by for that radius being THOUSANDS of linear cut commands that were ~0.01" intervals. What caused it? Some idiot had his line draw resolution too low in his CAD software. So what was supposed to be a spline Mastercam interpreted as a large collection of tiny strait lines.

But yeah, I reached that point of editing and saving the production programs we had stored on the computer all the G-code files were kept on. Supervisors were in on it as well, they trusted me more than the engineers to fix poo poo because I could find and solve the issue in a fraction of the time they took.

*Oh and I forgot the best part, the machines we had were rated to a max red-line RPM of 12,000 which they were run at 24/7 almost. So we were replacing spindle motors and transmission belts every 3 months per machine. These parts are meant to last the lifetime of the mill...

Lee Outrageous fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 15, 2014

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Artless Meat posted:

So I'm farting around in BMS, and is it even possible to ramp-start a non F-16? No matter what buttons I press, I can't seem to start the engines. Is there some arcane ritual I'm missing to do this?

Try searching youtube for people ramp starting other aircraft, if you can then there should be videos of it.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Gibfender posted:

That's strange, have you updated your DeviceDefaults.txt?

Anyway, maybe this will help http://bit.ly/x55rhino give me a shout if you can spot any potential improvements

Mapping diagram (Click for huge)

Here's some things that I think might improve on this.

Hat-4: (up,down,forward,back) move the radar cursor to the nipple mouse, replace with UHF, VHF, IFF out, IFF in.

rocker switch: speed brake

Button 3: that nosewheel steering button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Sauer posted:

AMRAAM shots taken in RWS mode? Why don't you just tell them on the radio that you've fired a missile at them?

Care to go into a little more detail on that?