Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is normal for a Delta IV; where did my impatient start-up procedure go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Artless Meat posted:

Was your throttle forward at all before engine startup?

The air temp was a little cold. I know when it is cold, the John Deere doesn't like to start. Couldn't find the choke, so I just gave it a little extra throttle.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Started getting the data files. Not sure if I will be awake yet at the planned start time.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Didn't some guy use general mic activity to trigger his guns?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
After getting distracted with Il-2, and that developing crash to desktop issues, I fired up DCS, fat fingered into F-18 in-flight start, landed but couldn't find the brakes and crashed off the end of the runway. Then loaded up Case I, came in a bit high and on my go-around it crashed to desktop.

This is really discouraging.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Game Crash note: a windows update that required me to make a PIN (I have a password, why do I also need a PIN?), appears to have changed the power setting of my display to turn off after 15 minutes (likely also locking the system with the PIN). After returning my monitor to never turn off, I was able to run two missions in IL-2 without the game crashing to desktop, although I mainly experienced crashes in quick mission and career and also used time acceleration which I did not in the aforementioned missions.

Maybe this cause my crash in DCS because it seems like it was around the 15 minute mark.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I got my new computer settled and installed DCS over the night, or at least I thought I did. When I came back I had the text file on my screen of the items retrieved etc., and when I clicked the icon it started to patch again (40GB at 10.5MB/s, roughly the max for my internet). Had to cancel because I need to ensure bandwidth availability during work-from-home.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
What's your favorite F-35 feature copied by the J-20? There must be a lot, since there is this recent article:

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/27131/After_Copying_F_35_s_Stealth__China_s_J_20_Duplicating_its_Non_Stealth_Features#.XtmlthiRVSs

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The iconic F-35 canards.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
F-35 twin engine performance

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Got my new system stable, tweaking the graphics now for VR. Any tips?

Test flight in the frogfoot, put guns on a maneuvering Mig taking out an engine, followed it back to base. Cockpit resolution seemed fine, but the Mig seemed waay too blocky even at 20 meters. Its colored smoke looked ok though.

Took me a while to find the P-51 flaps. Actuating them is a whole nother issue. What planes don't require core flexibility necessary for auto-fellatio?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vahakyla posted:

Next saturday's mission has the free frogfoots in it for people to fly, along with F-5, MiG-29, MiG-21, and MiG-19.

It's a Iran-themed eighties attack mission, with four goons on Iraqi side as PvP interceptors, trying to ruin our plans.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

The briefing link might be for last week's? Maybe I just don't know how to read. I'll try to get up at 5am for this.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

PenisMonkey posted:

I have a Rift CV1 and can read stuff in the 14 just fine.

Maybe the problem is a lot of small text. I was struggling to figure out wing modes, it wasn't clear in the training mission, and after looking around for 5 minutes I found a cluster of millimeter sized status lights. Maybe a cockpit model without 90,000 flight cycles of wear and fade would be more beginner friendly. Markedly different from most F-18 switch and dial text size. Maybe it is fine in the F-14, but experience is biased by initial frustration.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The USS Phlegmatic

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can confirm. Good fun. Wingmen didn't seem pissed off walking me through turning on the F-18 data link and IFF, confirming I was targeting correctly with HARMs. If they were upset, everyone besides Dandy hid it well.

Just have the basics down and try to win.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
DCS shop gives you store points, too. So if you plan on getting two items, you can save a bit more. You'd have to split the purchase into two orders, accruing points on the first, spending points on the second.

It looks like you get no points on an order you use any points on, so always apply the discount to the cheaper item (ideally paying completely for it with points).

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Many planes have a radar altimeter with a small knob that adjusts the warning altitude.

E: vvv--- sounds like a forced charm point; fighting falcon is weird

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 7, 2020

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
If it does, it wasn't on by default; seen fighting falcons faceplant several times

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why'd the f-15 violate iranian airspace?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The F10 map has a waypoint button on the top bar. Looks like zig zag line with circles at the end of each line segment. I don't know how it works. Keep clicking on your unit and the waypoint button, eventually you should see some lines and circles appear, maybe.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
DCS is running a sale through November 8th on their website. The standalone client works with your Steam purchases (but not the other way around, iirc). Now is a good chance to get Flaming Cliffs 3 if you are new and want several non-click planes (F-15, A-10A, Su-33, Mig-27, Mig-29), or if you want to commit to an emersive experience in a clickable cockpit there are many to choose from. Hot choices that are presently 50% off include the Harrier and the Mig-21. F-16 and F-18 have a smaller discount, but are feature rich.

It might seem a bit daunting to get into, but our community has knowledgeable and friendly people to help dampen the learning curve.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
This was fun (for me) last time, sounds like it should be fun for everyone this time. It is the free map, and there is a flight of the free Su-25 Frogfoot, so it is a great opportunity if you are interested trying DCS or a goon mission.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

That way no one can mess with their precious AMRAAMs being top dog.

that is a missile though

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know about Steam for certain, but in the main menu upper left has a couple of icons. One icon is like a 3x3 of squares, which is where modules are shown/managed. Click on that, you should be able to see all the locations and planes are "owned" by you and you can choose which to download. You can go back there after the free2play ends and remove the content you haven't purchased.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 1, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Standalone, but i think it should work similarly. I think I did it once on Steam like that, but that is how it is done on Standalone. Open Beta.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hornet was easier for me to learn, tbh. F-16 and A-10C seem to make the best out of a bad control system, whereas the F-18 has controls that were designed to be used for their intended purpose.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
They added another label variant, right? I think there is another option to check for using this setting in all modes or something. Try picking a different label from the drop down. I'm going through a different campaign that I don't think was updated, but i can see labels.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

Man I'm really itching to get an upgraded PC with a HOTAS rig again so I can tool around in goon multiplayer.

For labels - is there a way you can use selective labels that turn on with certain objectives met? Something like "run a helicopter extraction of an intelligence asset to get the locations of XYZ objective", "Forward observers are hemmed in by artillery positions or CAS and cannot operate, destroy the hostiles and they can operate, getting access to them laser designating objectives" seems like decent ways to integrate those sorts of labels.

For the first one, the mission designer could spawn the units when the objective is met. Labels would technically always be on, but no danger to the player from unlabeled units.

For the second, playing with no labels and using targeting pod laser search feature to find the JTAC laser spotting the targets for you.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bubbacub posted:

Does the offset gunsight in the Bf-109 and FW-190 work like it does in real life if you use VR?

You mean the refraction from the thick bulletproof glass?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the info!

I'll try out Georgian War and I think I'll go for the Rising Squall campaign too, even though it's $20. It looks like it's been done up to be cheesy and Ace Combat-styled with dramatic music and horrific voice acting, which sounds fun.

Rising Squall was pretty fun. It doesn't directly teach you, but it does make use of less frequently used systems/weapons. There are some cutscenes you need to access through your desktop file explorer, not 100% necessary but fill in some character and plot.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
For TTI, you might be better served joining a multiplayer server like "Even Lamer Goons". It runs Through The Inferno that has been modified by Tippis to fix some issues and make it better. You can even play with other goons if you want, no one will force you to chat with them on voice, but it could be helpful if you are troubleshooting some aircraft function.

The default TTI, once installed, can be run from your main menu "MISSIONS" button.

If you are looking for a persistent campaign, you can do Liberation. I think it is called that. It uses an external software to do essentially a turned based strategy game where you select your mission (and task AI missions), and then it generates the mission file for you which you play in DCS, then the external software gets the results and prepares the next turn.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
They are talking about the environmental control system intake between the engine intakes and fuselage. Looks like there should be one on each side. From another angle it looks like there is a mesh on the bottom surface to reject FOD while on the ground, and oncoming air pushes it open in flight.

I just so happened to be up in the F-14A and thought it might be airspeed dependent as well, but it appeared closed even over Mach 1 from 10~20k feet.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

I don't think I've ever flown in DCS when fuel was actually a factor. I'm either dead or out of weapons long before that happens.

Well, since then they have added the f-16.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Doesn't look like a blue sky either, for what it's worth.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wolfy posted:

The Royal Goon Air Force just got dismantled by an Iranian MiG. I can't wait for the next mission.

2/3rds of the deaths were team kills

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Plug one, and only one, Virpil device in. Open the Virpil software, setup and flash the firmware. This software shows raw output, so you will see funny things that don't actually represent how Windows/DCS see inputs.

This process will probably reboot the Virpil device 3 or so times.

Unplug this device, then repeat with the other. Doing this with more than one device plug in can brick your stick/throttle.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Some dude said he couldn't fix his Virpil device and had to send it back to. Perhaps not all instances result in a bricked device, but some might. Is this worth the inconvenience of unplugging/toggling a USB port switch on your USB hub?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
good gear is good

You might want to make your flaps lever a 3 position switch, and your constellation alpha analog stick to be a 4 way hat. Helps in DCS for aircraft that just have a 3-position flap lever, and if you need another hat on your stick. Though it could trigger some unwanted binding behavior in IL-2 and the like. This doesn't prevent them from being analog axis, just adds additional button presses. You can also make it so T1, T2, T3, T4 provide a button press in the up position.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
E: postponed

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Free, no purchase necessary. Just grab the DCS open beta client and the A-4 mod and you are ready for carrier ops. Landing is not a requirement for this mission, just need to get in the air from the carrier deck and point your plane northish.

A-Mission 19-JUN 20:00UTC

"A" for Effort

The year is 196X. Last week, the US Navy entered the Black Sea to assist Turkey in natural disaster relief following flooding and landslides. While departing, US forces skirt the Soviet coastline; the Cool War may be hotting up.

Intelligence revealed a Soviet plan to imperil America and her NATO ally's food security through genetically engineered invasive species. They plan to release their destructive seed and insects imminently. Your mission is to bomb their research facility to styme production. Our source believes they are dispatching these materials by train this very morning. You are authorized to destroy said train if you can visually identify it.

Of course we don't want to show too much of our hand, so we must give the appearance of an alternate main objective. Warehouses at Maykop store the latest Russian avionics, and there is a semiconductor fabrication facility near the aforementioned research facility. Take them out, but don't get too carried away.

A-4 download: https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/releases/tag/v2.0.0-beta-5.1
Drop the A-4 folder into your "C:\Users\CoolDude\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\mods\aircraft" folder.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 16, 2021