Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Hey Guys, I,ve got a problem with the MIG 21 that I hope you can help me with.

I recently started flying on multiplayer servers and the radar IFF thing doesn't seem to work. When I press the button the blips don't change at all, they just stay in the inverted 'T' shape. As you can surely imagine this makes it a bit of a pain to identify potential targets. I suspect that there is some switch that I'm missing on startup, but I couldn't find anything double checking the manual.

Vivick fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks, I'll check the SOD-57 transponder.

Its definitely not a target lock or the jamming filters that cause my problem.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Shanakin posted:

I suppose double check RV2 "СОД" is on. it's your SOD-57 transponder. I don't think RV4 actually does anything but it's labelled as being to do with IFF so it might need to be on too.

Got the Radar IFF working yesterday, it actually was the RV4 switch. Thanks for the help!

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Woah, looks like I picked a pretty good time to get back into this.

Have ther been any news on what Leatherneck Simulations is planning to release? I can't find anything on their Website. Last time I checked they had the F14 in development, a secret WWII fighter and possibly another secret thing.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

How does the DCS P51D compare to the two German WWII Birds in terms of simulation quality and content? I was thinking about buying it while the sale is on and just noticed that it is 20 Bucks cheaper than the BF109 and FW190.

Edit:

Vahakyla posted:

Let's pretend that I'll have free time. Does BMS or DCS support 2560x1080?

I just checked and the highest available resolution in DCS is 1920x1080, so unless there is some config file wizardry that lets you set higher resolutions I don't think it is supported.

Vivick fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 28, 2015

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

immelman posted:

The Good:
From reading around the Mustang seems to be pretty accurate according to actual pilots who fly it for real. It is really fun to fly and has made my stall recovery a lot better...
The 109 especially is a terror to dogfight against, so much so that there are a number of complaints about its rate of climb. The cannon will really mess you up. I find landing the thing a hell of a challenge and it is very nimble.
I've checked out the Dogs of War server which specialize in the WWII aircraft, but I fly poo poo compared to most of them so gave up on multiplayer.

The training missions that come with the planes are a great way to while away a few evenings, BUT...

The Bad:
All the WWII fighters in DCS suffer from the lack of things to do with them, there are not a lot of fan made missions to fly. Ground attack in the P51 for example is very frustrating against anything other than soft skinned trucks set up using the mission editor, even BTR's will make minced meat of you. Though I do enjoy diving down on A10's and loving up their engines using the Mustang when messing about.

I still fly around in the Mustang a lot, it really feels like you are flying a legend, but since getting IL-2 1946 I play that more. It may be not as pretty, but there is a lot more fun to be had as a game.

Ok thanks alot, I'll propably get it tomorrow then :)

I'm aware that there isn't much content for any of the WWII Planes, I was just worried that its a simplified simulation or something because of the price difference to other modules, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I'm running DCS at 1920x1200. :confused:

No Idea then, I just checked again and it tops out at 1920x1080 for me (DCS 1.5) v:confused:v. May be it doesn't let you go higher than the native resolution of your Monitor?

immelman posted:

If you want to fly around sometime, let me know. Practicing with another pilot could be a lot of fun.

Thanks! I will propably fly alone at first, I'm a fairly bad pilot and you propably don't want to watch me crash on takeoff 10 times in a row :downs:. But as soon as I got the basics down I'm definitely down for some multiplayer fun. Are you guys still hanging out in Mumble channel postet in the OP?

Edit: vvv Ok, that makes sense then, sorry for the confusion :)

Vivick fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 29, 2015

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Maybe there is some truth to what I heard about the quality of the Warthog fluctuating pretty wildly, I had mine for two years now and never had any problems with it. (Then again its my first stick that cost more than 80 bucks, so maybe I'm just lacking perspective v:confused:v)

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Hey guys,

I'm considering purchasing one of the jet trainers for DCS, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the differences between the three, especially regarding the quality of the flightmodel and fidelity of the avionics etc?

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

I prefered the L-39 anyway for aesthetic reasons, so thats some good news, thanks!

The F-5 will propably be next on the list, once the is a sale again :homebrew:

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

MiG-21Bis :rice:

The flight model is great and the avionics have robust vacuum tube technology.

Recoome posted:

please don't fly/buy trainer aircraft in a ~video game~

actually buy a good aircraft like the MiG-21, M-2000, or the A-10C

I already got all of those planes! The Mig 21 is my most favorite thing ever. I haven't done anything in DCS for a while, does the Mig work properly in 2.0?

PenisMonkey posted:

Eh, it depends on what you do. I got the 39 so I could scout and call in bombers on blueflag and it's p dang fun.

Yeah this, + some light ground attack stuff is what I want to try out. If I can be arsed I'll propably create some COIN missions for me and my Buddy, too.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

TheFluff posted:

They finally announced the AJS 37 for real, but not really much new information.

I'm curious how Leatherneck will do the air to ground radar, since thats not officially supported by ED and I doubt its has a very high priority for them.
Also programmable cruise missiles sound rad as hell.

Vivick fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 1, 2016

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

McDeth posted:

Isn't Eagle Dynamics working on the F-18 module in conjunction with the dev and developing the ground radar portion with them?

Ah yeah, thats possible. I kinda forgot about the F 18 since it isn't a plane I'm really all that hyped for.
Btw. Leatherneck posted some Gameplay footage of the Viggen earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKBe5P-Mfw

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Razbam wanted to do a full fidelity MIG 23, which I was super stoked about, but it got rejected by ED for some reason :(. I still really would like to know why, maybe it is already in development by somebody else?

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Kinda sad that the Mig 23 got pulled, I was really looking forward to that one. Tho the fact that they are so secretive about the reasons behind it makes me hope that it was actually because a different Studio was already working on it.

EDIT: The forums are garbage, IMO a good rule of thumb is to only read official announcements. A couple of month ago, when WW2 OP Blueflag was starting up, I made the horrible mistake of asking how well the Mustang and Spitfire are balanced against the FW190 and BF109, since the latter ones are pretty late war in comparsion, and also because I heard that the .50 cals of the Mustang are rather ineffective in DCS. I immediately got multiple people telling me that real life isn't balanced and therefore I shouldn't ask such questions :smuggo:

Vivick fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

Would love to be there and crash a bunch of planes, but im out of town :( Hopefully Ill be able to make it next time.