Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I got loving hammered last night and bought the DCS Huey module. I don't even own a joystick, what's the best one for $150 or lower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

Talk about a hell of a downward spiral...

Sometimes you just want to learn to fly a helicopter ok?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm gonna ask for the CH pedals for Christmas and probably pick up the CH combatstick in the meantime. Unless the fighterstick is worth the extra $30?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
CH flightstick+throttle isn't much more than the warthog deal, is it worth it?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Amazon actually has it for $314.99 right now. I picked one up since I got paid Thursday. Probably should have just gotten the used one but new is always nice!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
My Warthog showed up today and you guys weren't kidding about being able to beat someone to death with it. Pretty impressive piece of hardware!

Also holy gently caress does the Huey have a shitload of switches goddamn why are there so many radios. I finally started the thing after like 45 minutes of loving with it (had a power switch on wrong I guess). I got it off the ground and realized I don't have pedals yet and flew around until I crashed.

A+ would do again.

How the heck do I zoom in so I can read the text on the control panel and such? It's pretty hard to follow the training instructions when I can barely make out half of the switch settings.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 9, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

McDeth posted:

Bind the friction control axis to zoom view. It's seriously a game changer.

I'm retarded, could you draw me a map or something?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sagebrush posted:

:ssh: You can already fly the F-35 in Prepar3D, and since it's made by Lockheed, I assume it's fairly accurate (within reason).

I suspect the performance of the aircraft (and the F-22) may have been boosted, though. It flies like an X-Wing.

For how much they cost they better loving fly like an X-Wing!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
So my new Warthog is really great but it has one issue, the pinky switch on the throttle is really wonky. Like it's all loose and doesn't stick in position like it's supposed to. I can get it to stick on one side sometimes but when I flip it then it gets all loose again and I have to mess with it before it finally stays on one side or the other. It never stays in the center position. Is there a way to fix this or replace it without just returning it for a replacement? It's totally fine otherwise so it's really not worth returning.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Is the Mi-8 worth getting if you already have the Huey?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Games very rarely if ever let you exceed your native resolution unless you're using Nvidia DSR or something.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm trying to understand the TARGET software for the Warthog stick and good god why, just why

edit: WHO WOULD CREATE THIS??

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 31, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Flying a Mig-21 is hard. I did succeed in pulling off the hardest non-fatal landing in history though. I think the gear were down when I started but they definitely weren't there when the plane stopped.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm interested although I'm Extremely Bad.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of the Mig-21 though, I've got a pretty good control setup and I figured out how to work the weapon systems pretty well tonight. Most of the missiles suck rear end but I did hit an F-16 with a Kh-66 :hellyeah:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
gently caress the lovely engine on that thing cutting out whenever you point it down for more than 3 seconds though. Ridiculous.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Forums Terrorist posted:

Pull out of burner, then it's 15 seconds.

Yeah I was running emergency afterburner too, that's probably my problem. The manual says 3 seconds of fuel is available when running EAB while inverted.

edit: gotta go fast

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 7, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I got a 15cm extension for my Warthog so my wrist doesn't die after trying to fly helicopters. It's much nicer now. Do you guys set your joystick axis on a curve for helicopters and if so what's a good setting?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm down, I will have to practice cold starting all day tomorrow but I shoot missile real good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Dandywalken posted:

Dont have the MiG :( Anybody up for streaming the mission, or is that a bandwith hog?

I'm going to try to but I'll probably be the first person to die horribly!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm going to try to but I'll probably be the first person to die horribly!

Got the stream working and smooth. Gonna convert my trackir to be wireless tomorrow and do some takeoff and landing practice :toot:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Thrustmaster customer support is staffed by literal retards. I emailed them to see if they could send me a replacement pinky switch for my Warthog throttle and four days later they reply and ask me for a picture of the sticker on the bottom of the joystick, not the throttle, and a picture of my "proof of purchase". Kind of odd but ok whatever, here's a picture of the quality control sticker on the thing that's not broken and a picture of a generic barcode on the side of the box. A couple days later they reply back that by "proof of purchase" they were referring to the receipt or invoice and not the thing that's literally called the proof of purchase. They also want me to look at a PDF of the joystick (not the throttle) so I can tell them specifically which button is broken.

I took a picture of it and drew a circle around it in MS paint so they wouldn't get confused. Hopefully they can find it in their hearts to reply before the weekend.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Comrades assemble!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
http://www.twitch.tv/bringguns

Stream is up, sorry if the quality is poo poo or whatever. My first time really doing it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
gently caress

I did it!!

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 16, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
A smooth landing if there ever was one!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Hope someone was watching that stream in the past 15 minutes because I just killed 4 dudes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

edit: Thanks Bonkers and also everyone else!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Oh also you guys were talking about how some of the cockpit wasn't translated in English mode:

Install this mod http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1249329/ (and still switch to "English cockpit" in the menu settings) and like 98% of the cockpit will be translated.

edit: updated version! http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1712433/

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 19, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

BMan posted:

Mission 3: In which I teamkill Snax and then everyone but me crashes into the ground due to horrific weather.

That was a pretty incredible landing :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Recoome posted:

if you think you are going too fast to land in the MiG-21 then you are going about the right speed.

Clearly you have not seen me try to land :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Here's an updated version of that Mig-21bis cockpit mod that I posted a couple days ago http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1712433/

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I'm down! Saturday at the same time works for me, I gotta work Sunday unfortunately.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

jadebullet posted:

I would but with this snow storm about to hit I will probably lose power just like with every snowstorm. I am pretty poo poo at it anyway and haven't flown my Fishbed in months.

Did any of you guys take any video of last weekends fight? I want to get better at not just being a missile catcher so I figured watching your guys flight tactic would help.

I streamed it last week but I didn't have archiving turned on. I turned it on and plan on streaming it again. I think I've mastered taxiing finally so hopefully it's less of a shitshow this time! Maybe I'll even land it properly!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
IIRC the tool tips were all working fine for me. I haven't played with today's patch yet though and I've always had that cockpit mod running.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The 15 seconds is at 100% no afterburner, the afterburner reduces it to like 5-7 seconds and the 2nd afterburner to only 3 seconds in 0g/inverted. Throttle back a little when nosing down and you'll never have a problem. Or just roll and nose up everywhere.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Recoome posted:

is it so difficult to not pull neg G in a MiG-21. I can only recall flaming out once and I did it on purpose :\

If you're used to flying stuff that doesn't have that problem it's kind of hard to break the habit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Recoome posted:

Honestly I would've thought the risk of red-out would be more dangerous in the newer poo poo

I've only ever seen red out once in the Mig-21 and it was when I was flying really weirdly, didn't seem to affect my pilot afterward. The problem is more that even a very slight nose down like you'd do when trying to enter a shallow dive is enough to cause a flameout very quickly if you're using the afterburner. I kinda had to train myself to fly differently because maneuvers that I thought were quite gradual and easy were enough to cause a flameout.

Really the secret is just to ease off the throttle whenever you nose down and the problem goes away.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Snaxx posted:

This Saturday at 1PM EST we will resume purging fascist aggressors from the Caucasus in everyone's favorite Soviet death rocket- the Mig-21bis!

The mission is is the famed Mig21 dynamic campaign by MBot. Mudspike raves about it here. Seven slots available; six Russian rocket-coffins and a player AWACs (in spectator).

We will start off right where we left.

Mig-21 #1: Comrade Snaxx
Mig-21 #2: <Open>
Mig-21 #3: Comrade Mirage
Mig-21 #4: Comrade BMan
Mig-21 #5: Comrade Deutsch Nozzle
Mig-21 #6: Comrade Ghetto Wormhole
AWACs/GCI: Comrade Bonkers

One open slot! Who wants it?

Also if nobody takes that open slot I've got a friend who'll probably join us if that's ok!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
http://www.twitch.tv/bringguns

archive: http://www.twitch.tv/bringguns/v/37194289

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Here's a 3 hour video of me being bad at airplanes: http://www.twitch.tv/bringguns/v/37194289

2:31:20 :stonk:

edit: wrong time

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 24, 2016