Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Comma Chameleon posted:

As someone who doesn't own FC3 or ever flown in a fast mover I was able to understand quit a bit of that so well done i'd say. If anyone has questions on the ka-50 I can try and field those and might even try my hand at a cool tutorial post like Leo's.
I'm gonna ask an annoyingly big one: Where to start? :v:

There's a giant manual, there's all sorts of tutorials online (and in-game?), but what's the best way to get started? I know my way around flying a plane and some of the systems are familiar to me from the Su-25T but I've never really flown choppers before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mederlock posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...tmaster+t16000m This is hands down one of the *best* non-HOTAS joysticks you can find. It uses Hall effect sensors that are set up much better than the ones in the X52, it's still cheap, it's very sturdy and reliable, and has a decent twist axis for yaw. It's muuuchhh better then the Logitech Extreme Pro, in any case.
It does have its downsides. It's less comfortable to use than the Logitech unless you have huge hands and there's less buttons on the stick. There's also a fuckoff bright green light whenever it's off-center that's supposed to demonstrate how accurately it centers (I already bought you, stick, why are you advertising your features to me?) but in my case it no longer centers accurately enough after a week or so of use to reliably turn the light off. There's also no dust cover protecting the innards.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Thanks for the advice on the Ka-50. The thing is surprisingly easy to fly; I've never played a real chopper sim before but after reading up on the trim and autopilot a little it's a breeze. I have an easier time with landings than I do with the choppers in Arma.

Now I just gotta figure out the weapons. :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have a couple of questions about the Ka-50's autopilot, particularly how the channels interact with each other. How does heading hold work with bank hold? If I'm holding a bank I'm likely not holding my heading. Does the autopilot fight itself then or does one channel override the other? How does it work with yaw, which the autopilot doesn't have a channel for?

Also, altitude hold. Not clear on what that does at all. It doesn't seem to touch the collective, not even in hover mode, (where I suppose it would be useful) so I'm not sure what it does do.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

deck posted:

useful words
Thanks for the clarification.

I've run into a bit of an annoyance: With Shkval on, the HUD no longer displays airspeed. I have no idea why it would do that because nothing takes its place. Whenever I'm in combat I have to be constantly peeking down to the airspeed indicator despite the HUD being right there! Is there any way to get the airspeed display back on with Shkval active?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

deck posted:

The Ka-50 HUD never displays airspeed -- only GPS computed ground speed, which is why it doesn't appear on the hud for about 1 minute after starting up. (It's still getting a GPS/GLONASS lock)

As for your question: (the shkval always shows airspeed)
Ok, yeah, ground speed is what I really want anyway. :v:
It's a bitch that the HUD doesn't show speed with Shkval on. I really don't see why, but I suppose that's something you'd have to ask the designers.

imperialparadox posted:

I did discover that I can "zoom in" my cockpit view, and that helps with reading things, but is there an easier way to do this? Perhaps make the default zoom level a bit higher or something?

...or is this something where TrackIR would be good to have (I'm assuming it works with this game). If I had it, could I just lean forward to read things?
A TrackIR is great for DCS but this isn't really a problem caused by a lack of it. I do find it helps in quickly zooming in on the Shkval but the instruments should be clear regardless. There is indeed an instrument resolution setting, mine is on 512 which seems to be fine, haven't really fiddled with it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Anyone got a good tutorial on using the Black Shark data link in multiplayer?

e: Well, actually, more importantly, anyone got coop missions for it? Not much use if there's nothing to play. Most of the missions on the official site are either not in English or have missing textures and a warning not to edit them without some ancient mod.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 19, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The trim and autopilot are there so you don't have to babysit it when you're flipping switches and pressing buttons! Do what cormac said, learn how it works and it really isn't too difficult. I went into it expecting it to be way hard, having never flown a chopper in a real sim before, but I found the learning process very similar to my experience with the Su-25T: Took me a session to learn how to fly and another to learn how to blow things up and from there I could attempt actual missions.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Sanguine posted:

Anyone tried the headphone clip thing for the TrackIR? I don't really like wearing a hat, it makes me look dorky :v:
It's a must-have for me because I really don't want to wear a hat but it's a flimsy, overpriced piece of poo poo. It works fine, it's just a ludicrous price for a piece of plastic with three LEDs on it. It's held together by little plastic clips that are liable to break over time. I put up with it because I have no real options, other than wearing a hat. Mine's currently held together by tape.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It looks extremely ghetto but if my clip breaks irreparably I'd feel way less dumb wearing that than paying 45€ for another one.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This is sort of off-topic but how is Falcon BMS and how does it compare to DCS? In particular, how's the availability of playable co-op content? I mainly wanna fly planes and shoot things with a friend or two and my eternal problem with DCS is it's a bitch to actually find stuff to play and I don't particularly feel like making my own.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'd be in but me being in Europe is probably gonna result in the same time zone trouble that prevents me from doing DCS with goons.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Fredrik1 posted:

... existing missions tend to break due to patches ...
This is the worst drat thing. There's already a very limited amount of missions available, they can't afford to be losing half of them to lack of backwards compatibility. One of the dumbest (though usually easy to fix) things is how they change aircraft skin names around so old missions will refer to skins that no longer exist and you'll get bright orange MISSING TEXTURES.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Seems fine to me. The control settings are a bit rear end since there's no categories but everything works fine and the cockpit is clickable.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Michaellaneous posted:

So, I really want to get into DCS - to be more specific the :spergin: A-10.
Plainly speaking - is a joystick enough? Or do I need a HOTAS system, do I need trackIR?
It's enough. A HOTAS is no doubt good, a TrackIR is great, but neither is a necessity. Start out with what you have, buy more stuff if you get sufficiently into it to feel the need. I'd recommend a TrackIR first over a better stick assuming your current one is good enough. (a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro or a Thrustmaster T16000m is fine)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I've been going along with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3pmXvnc0k.
It takes a cursory look at most everything which is good to me because it gives me a starting point on looking up more specialized tutorials is I need them.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Falcon BMS: Difficulty and confusion, fun found anyway. I didn't get to kill anything though. :saddowns:

What did I miss with regards to HARMs? I powered them up on the SMS page, locked a target on the HAD page, but I was unable to fire despite being well in range. In the training mission I can fire fine. Cycling the hardpoints switched between CCRP (the cluster bombs I had I assume) and I believe HTS, and I don't think I was able to select the HARMs.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Is there any input wrapper or whatever that works with Falcon? I've tried Joy2Key and something called Durazno and while they both bind my controller keys to keyboard keys fine they still don't do a thing in Falcon.

When I was pondering how I'm going to bind an extra hat switch or two and the DMS and TMS keys I took a look down on my Xbox 360 controller, which of course is made up of two analog sticks... and two sets of four keys. Perfect! Almost. It's sitting there on the left side of my keyboard for my left hand and I've got the right analog stick on the cursor slew and the X/Y/B/A keys for TMS. Falcon can't bind the d-pad, though, and those wrapper programs don't work. I'd also like more dead zone for the analog sticks than "large" which they'd let me do.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I've had nothing but silky smooth performance at all times. And yeah, all those flights exist in the game world - on a mission today I had what must have been 30 friendlies on my radar.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

DSauer posted:

Falcon uses a concept of bubbles. AI within your bubble get fully simulated and those outside of it use a simplified mathematical probability simulation. You can easily interact with flights within your own package and you can use the AWACS to call for help if one is available. The AI also does this. Getting into a fight with a flight of hostile aircraft is a good way to get more of them coming your way. Ground forces also work this way. The campaign also simulates supply levels; taking out supply centers and factories and such will reduce the rate that units replenish. Air Defense systems also simulate an Integrated Air Defense System (IADS). SAMS, AAA and CAP talk to each other and work together to kill you. Taking out sensors in that network make the AI less effective and you can destroy command and control centers to make them even less effective.

BMS should run flawlessly on any modern system. If you can run DCS without issues you've got way more horsepower than you need.
Thanks for this, is there some sort of documentation for the campaign? I'd love to know more about how it works.

e: Also why is this game from 1998 far more sophisticated than any similar implementation since

Elukka fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 6, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think it's the opposite of that. It's the hardcore simspergs who care only about the number and accuracy of available switches and scoff at the word 'game'. Providing a good campaign, a large set of missions, or something to actually play seems like it would be something most other people would care about. The main problem of sims that are not Falcon, to me, is lack of good or indeed any gameplay.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm having weird problems locking things up in BMS. Air-to-air locks on the FCR work absolutely fine. HMCS locks work almost never; I've been able to get the circle by holding TMS up once or twice, but the vast majority of the time it does nothing. The same goes for Maverick seeker locks and TGP locks. Most of the time TMS up does nothing. What's up with this?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Crescendo posted:

In terms of the real world, I'm no expert, but it's hard to see how either airplane is survivable in a battle between two similar opponents. With modern SAMs and fighters being the way they are, the Su-25 and A-10 are effectively cannon fodder. I doubt they would even be fielded without intense protection from fighters, suppression of air defense, and electronic warfare, and even then there would be losses.
I can't find the article for some reason but IIRC during the Cold War they expected to lose all 700 of them in a couple weeks if they came up against the Soviets. Not before killing a whole bunch of armor though!

Now it's just crazy talk to put them anywhere near enemy air defenses. I think the acceptable attrition rates then and now are a little different.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Appropriate music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzU1sYPjzo&t=60s

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Do you mean it actually doesn't work or that it just doesn't show up in the key binds list? My joystick keys don't show up in the list after binding either but they still work in game.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

That, uh, that sure is a package.

The last one to get near Pyongyang got met with 8 MiG-29s.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
So, the bullshit DCS pulled with Steam.

I got the impression earlier in the thread that you can add ED-bought keys to your Steam install, if not Steam itself. Does that mean I can buy things from both Steam and ED? How do updates work?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The real problem are there are no hotkey categories for "stuff you absolutely need to bind", "stuff you use once in a blue moon and click in the cockpit" and "poo poo that you never ever use".

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Mine's currently held together by packing tape. :effort:

Does NaturalPoint send you a new one during some particular warranty period or is it a general 'we're sorry this thing is so flimsy' sort of thing?

Dandywalken posted:

EDIT: Campaign update: China joined the war :( We had the Russians totally repelled, and were inflicting 80% casualties on their sorties... but now our defenses have to spread a bit thinner to account for China.
How does this happen? My campaign is on day 4, North Korea is pretty thoroughly beaten in the air, they have no fully operable airbases and very few planes. No China or Russia so there's very little to do.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Falconmusic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335GdTqtyLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQAmvKMGUko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYLPoTNnKAk

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How does your Falcon look so good? Is that the TomsKorea mod that's in the Dropbox? I looked at some screenshots and it just looked really grey and drab and I decided not to download it. Maybe the guy just took all the screenshots in lovely weather. :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The Rift is really cool on paper but the annoyance of holding a large thing on my head and flailing about blind to find my controls makes me wonder about its practicality.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Something that helps before doing what DSauer said is just getting the hell out if it's a long range missile launch. Jink a bit left and right every few seconds to make it waste energy. There's a good chance just flying away will defeat the missile unless it was fired very close and at the very least it'll have wasted a lot of energy. If it's still coming afterwards, do what DSauer said.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
What I did was follow along with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3pmXvnc0k Then if I still needed more information on something I'd look up more specific stuff since I knew what I needed.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's not been my experience that HARMs always hit. The majority of the time I've fired at an active emitter that's then gone inactive has been a miss.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't think so, I'm regularly missing HARMs that I've locked into emitters that were active at launch.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

EpicPhoton posted:

One thing I like about the Iron Fortress campaign in BMS is the lack of SAM sites. NK is still rolling in, and doesn't set them up right away, so as long as you keep an eye on them, you can conduct quite a few missions without having to worry about SAM sites too much. Makes for a much more enjoyable campaign when you don't have to worry about being blown out of the sky by an SA-10.
And here I am ruing the lack of SAM sites in my campaign. AI SEAD flights must have disabled them all since like day 2 there's been no SAMs flying. SEAD is fun!

Which reminds me, my campaign is on day 3 or 4. NK has practically no planes or air defense left. The only thing to do is to bomb helpless ground troops which are being steadily pushed back. I keep fast forwarding and nothing continues to happen. When can I expect China or Russia?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If they switch their silly Vietnam Cobra to a modern one my interest level will jump from nil to 'holy poo poo a co-op gunship'.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 13, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
You should however have this:
http://open.spotify.com/track/5acbyE1C4lCpa7LbN301KQ

Or the classic:
http://open.spotify.com/track/3BBkO1ty8zLIw88VW1e4Ry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Those are Israeli F-16s with extra conformal fuel tanks.