Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Hav posted:

Yet. They're being upgraded as time allows, but FC3 is still the best route to go now you don't have to source a copy of 'Lock On'.

I had been looking to buy FC3 for years but every time it would go on sale I would remember I'd need to find a copy of the original Lock On for some dumb reason.

Now that you don't need it I've missed every sale that FC3 has been on.

Also thanks for that Ka-50 trimmer stuff, I kind of had the hang of it but I still didn't know explicitly how to handle it. Killing tanks while spinning is not easy :saddowns:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^^^^^ Yes those are all just planes from FC3. I wouldn't buy any of the individual FC3 planes, just wait for FC3 to go on sale.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

In the original Lock-on, those FMVs were actual interactive missions. Some time in between its release and the release of Flaming Cliffs 2 they got replaced with those FMVs of someone playing the mission. For the life of me I can't figure out why, unless the triggers got broken or something like that.

Some of the training missions do work, but they tend to be the very simple training missions, so I guess they just decided they'd make most of it into videos and have a few interactive missions where people could learn the basics.

Sadly none of the Ka-50's training missions work though, I wish I had a 2nd monitor so I could have the training video up and fly at the same time rather than constantly alt-tabbing.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 15, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Apache's shooting you with Hellfires is one of the worst things they've never fixed.

Also how come my Vikhr's auto lock on to targets sometimes, then other times won't?

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 20, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The thing I don't like about the Ka-50 trim is that you need to be in the position you want to trim to, but with no application of controls. So say you want to hold a particular heading, you have to get the helicopter turned to that position then release controls and quickly press the trim button before it turns away. My solution has been just to remove any trim then set it to what I want every time I'm trimming, but that leads to bad things like the helicopter suddenly nosing up meaning you can hit your rotors together.

This is just how I've learnt to use the trim though, I could be doing it completely wrong.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Turning on that control visualiser is really useful for working out how it affects the controls.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll figure out how to fly this thing properly eventually :pilot:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Bought FC3 because I like planes that go fast.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Flaming Cliffs first flights:

MiG-29 - easy to fly and use all the systems, got a guns kill on an F-16 and shot down a couple of A-10's with IR missiles.
Su-27 - seems similar to the MiG-29 except I can't get anything working on it, should probably do the tutorials.
F-15 - visual mode stuff is pretty simple except MiG-29's are nasty and will mess you up, BVR is a mystery, can't get HOJ mode to work and I don't get how BVR is supposed to work if they just jam me forever.

Jets that go fast are pretty fun.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
How should I be effectively using IR missiles? Maybe its because I'm just flying against AI meaning they always know when to flare but they seem kind of useless.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slyof2b_CNg

May have been cheating since it was only a MiG-23. Also the shoot lady was very persuasive so I fired the AIM-9M at a stupid point.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^ Thanks for saving my ears.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'll get you next time :argh:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I guess I win in 20 years then :smug:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Vahakyla posted:

Hide your wives, invite your boyfriends!
We are playing DCS tomorrow.

Bit late for me :(

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^ Its purpose is to make people you should be able to see normally with no labels visible, whilst making the unrealistic stuff like look through your cockpit at planes more difficult.

(unless that's what you were pointing out :doh:)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
A weekend event at 9pm GMT or GMT+1 could possibly accommodate everyone across Europe and NA.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I wonder if it would be possible to implement a dynamic campaign like in BMS in DCS, there aren't always goons to fly with so I've mostly been flying sp missions, it would be cool if there were a "war" dynamic mode where you could just do random sorties in the various aircraft available.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Everything I thought I knew doesn't work in proper fights, :rip:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I've been flying everything with a very old Microsoft Sidewinder just fine, so you're probably fine without a full HOTAS setup - although I'm sure it would make it cooler since its quite :spergin: game.

That said I would really prefer to not have to use the keyboard constantly.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'm fairly sure if you buy stuff on Steam you're fine since it all has to be activated on their site anyway, and you can download the files from the ED site.

I don't know how an offline install works though.

Really there's no reason you have to have your stuff activated on Steam other than it being more convenient to download the packs than off their crappy FTP server.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
If you already have it all on steam why download the non steam version? Or just to test it?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I've noticed the AWACS always says BRA, what does that mean? Bullseye-something?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Wait for the summer sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
How frequently do modules go on sale? I got back into DCS at the perfect time to miss this one, can still brrrrttt in the warthog though.