Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Propagandist posted:

For some reason TMS right wasn't jumping over to the next target after sending off my first AMRAAM.

Was your radar in TWS mode? I think that's required to get that behavior, and to be able to launch multiple AMRAAMs at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
If you are having any trouble with binding your HOTAS, make sure to read this article:
http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

Falcon BMS has some custom code in it about how it recognizes buttons from multiple devices. I haven't had good luck in using the Falcon UI, so I usually just hand edit the text file as described in the article.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lee Outrageous posted:

How do I stop the campaign AI from fragging flights in a particular squad in BMS?

Don't have it in front of me at the moment but when you select a squadron there is a "HQ controlled" checkbox you can uncheck.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Yod posted:

Please, I'm about out of patience trying to get BMS to figure out what this thing is. It'll see the stick or the throttle but not both at the same time, and I can't seem to get it to forget the automatically-defined buttons for some reason.

Have you read this article? http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

BMS has a funky way of aggregating all your DirectInput controllers into one big one. I recommend following their advice and setting everything up via editing a text file, instead of using the Falcon UI.

Also, this thread has an X-55 profile: http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showthread.php?19304-x55

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Black Shark 2 is standalone in the sense that you only need DCS World to run it, right? No Flaming Cliffs or standalone Black Shark 1 required??

I'm thinking of picking it up on Steam since its on sale for the next 19 hours. Since I got A-10C a long time ago from ED directly, I would use the method above to get the CD key from Steam and unlock the module downloaded from ED.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I have the CH combo as well and heartily recommend it. Good quality for (relatively) cheap. I also recommend starting with something cheap like a Logitech 3D Pro as well until you know you are ready to commit. You will know after awhile if you will make use of the more expensive stuff and you can upgrade then (piecemeal, if need be).

Rudder pedals are fun but for modern aircraft they aren't used much. Especially for BMS - with an F-16 the rudder is controlled by the flight computer, you are almost never supposed to actually use it directly. Prop aircraft or helicopters are different.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Yod posted:

Just got this in my email:

Thanks for this! I just picked up Blackshark 2. Looking forward to figuring out the trim system.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Comma Chameleon posted:

I think the biggest offender is the pylon selector switch, a simple "rotate pylon selector left" and "rotate pylon selector right" option would make more sense than a key binding for all 10+ options.

You filthy casual.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

What was it about the early 1990s that made flight simulators so hugely popular anyway? All of the big game companies of the time had a simulation division, and a lot of companies made a profit selling nothing but sims. Now people barely touch them and the devs have to resort to kickstarters and pay-per-plane models to make it work.

What was different in 1993? All the footage of combat jets in Desert Storm people had gotten used to seeing all over the news?

The cost to develop games with cutting-edge graphics has increased exponentially from back then. All the art assets you see in DCS, Call of Duty, etc., have to be hand generated by an ever growing army of artists. As budgets get progressively bigger, companies that can afford to produce expensive games focus more and more on the biggest-selling genres, much like Hollywood only makes safe focus-grouped movies compared to Indie studios. Keep in mind too that the learning curve for flight sims has grown significantly, further thinning the pool of people willing to make the commitment.

As to why so many games back then were flight sims, my guess would be:
1) Due to PCs still being somewhat new and nerdy, a larger percentage of the 90s PC gamer audience was of the personality type likely to be into flight sims.
2) The early success of Microsoft Flight Simulator in the eighties had a long residual effect.
3) Many current popular gaming genres had yet to be invented.
4) I agree with you about Desert Storm - it put modern fighter jets back in the forefront of the nation's mind.

The market thrived until it could no longer make a profit and the brutal hand of capitalism stepped in.

You and a few friends could theoretically create a modern flight sim at the fidelity of F-18 Korea for cheap, but who these days will pay $49.99 for it? If you want AAA graphics (and complex flight models and engines supporting populated combat spaces), you need to charge a lot more than $60 a pop to make your development costs back.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The most recent DCS newsletter indicates that the NTTR, aka the long-time-in-coming Nevada map, is planned to be released in late December.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Sauer posted:

I just noticed that there's a debug symbols database in the Falcon 4 BMS bin folder. I wonder if they're compiling BMS with a debugging profile in Visual Studio. Usually the debugging profile has no optimizations turned on. Going to check.

Edit: No they didn't. Probably just include the debug symbols to make it easier for people with Visual Studio to submit more detailed bug reports.

I believe this is why they released Update 7 - they realized they were releasing Falcon before that built with the non-optimize compiler switch.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Sauer posted:

Hey nerds, what are the two doohickies in this image labelled, "Zuh?"?

The 02R is the aspect ratio of the target your have bugged (20 degrees right).

I think the cross is bullseye, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Edit: Looking at the picture, I don't think it's bullseye. My other vague memory is that it's the currently selected waypoint.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 20, 2014

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Sauer posted:

... Instead you need to reference the byte in the wch file where your word is along with its length ...

:stare:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Elukka posted:

So I got one of those ludicrously cheap Warthog sticks. I have no throttle or pedals but I couldn't pass on a 100€ Warthog.

What's the best way to deal with the throttle & pedal situation? I figure I'm gonna have to get CH's stuff but it's pricy as hell. I'd have to get them piecemeal. Does it matter if I get the throttle or pedals first, or is there no good way I could get partial use of either of them?

If you are flying BMS, don't worry about rudder pedals initially, you only use them to steer on the ground. You generally aren't supposed to use the rudder pedals in flight, even during a crosswind landing, due to the FLCS.

For other planes a rudder solution is much more necessary.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Does this mean I should stop using gentle rudder in turns to compensate for slip ala prop sims?

Also I figured out how to use my CH manager to set the shifted function of all four CMS directions to be the same output for use as a slap switch, but when I load the phenix key file (from the wiki) it crashes the key editor and I can't find the slap switch binding in the game either.

Spent the morning going through the wiki and watching krause videos, I still have like zero stick time but I think I at least understand how stuff works (or supposed to work anyway). I'll be joining late after the football game is over.

Yes, don't use the rudder in flight like a normal plane - the flight computer handles it all for you. You aren't even supposed to use rudder when landing in a strong crosswind.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

gently caress the balkans. gently caress all. All campaign days canceled until further notice, Falcon goes on a winter break and when we resume, it's gonna either be Korea or a better working Balkans. gently caress all. gently caress all. gently caress everybody. gently caress.

I take it things went well?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Dantares posted:

I'm using Sauer's keyfile and my pedals are the first device in windows. I really don't know how to change that other than removing the pedals in the control panel and then re-plugging them to force them to the bottom of the list. The problem is that when I restart my computer, the pedals are right back at the top of the list so I have to do this each time I restart my PC. Does anyone know of a less annoying way to permanently rearrange the order of devices in windows 8.1?

Have you tried switching the USB ports they are plugged into?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

EpicPhoton posted:

Are there any good flight sims that have big military planes or big bombers?

There's this: http://www.gog.com/game/b_17_flying_fortress_the_mighty_8th

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lord Yod posted:

You definitely can do this, if you google BMS shift states you'll get pointed in the right direction. I'm on my phone or I'd link it. Also, generally when setting up this way you prioritize tms/DMS on the hat, fcr on the keyboard, view however you can (like numpad for example).

Here's the full article on shift states:
http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

Important notes:
1. Make sure to map the shift button twice, once as normal and once with the shifted-by-256 offset. Otherwise you can turn it on but can't turn it off.
2. Any mapping for a shifted value has to be done in Notepad. The Falcon setup UI is limited and won't understand how to map a shifted value. Frankly, I would just set the whole thing up in Notepad anyways so you know what the hell is going on.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

EpicPhoton posted:

Unofficial Poll: Would you play a study-sim, based on a fictional plane(s)?

Say if a game presented a near-future fighter, with a "realistic" flight profile and capabilities, but not strictly locked to a plane that currently exists, and a level of detail rivaling BMS or DCS, with study-sim systems complexity (i.e., not "push button to kill bad guy"), would you play it?

No, for the same reasons as above. The fact that this stuff is real is a major part of the draw.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Geisladisk posted:

Playing the Korean campaign to get a feel for the Falcon.

Why do I keep getting SEAD missions to kill SAM sites right next to the Chinese border? Why not, oh I don't know, the fifteen loving SAM sites you expect me to fly over to get there? :saddowns:

Related: How do I stop getting totally loving wrecked by SAMs? :(

The AI will plan crackhead missions. You can override them yourself, or set your whole squadron to human control.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Drunk Badger posted:

Is there a good way to create a control map file outside of the game? I added a CH throttle to my Logitech stick, which is something I doubt anyone has a file for

I usually create mine in notepad. Read this article if you haven't already: http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility. There are things you can't do in the UI since they
changed the lower level implementation without changing the original UI.

There is a spreadsheet as well that lets you generate this file included in the install, but I always found that more confusing than anything. If you only map what you actually need to use on your HOTAS
and keep key bindings the same it's not that big a text file.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Goetta posted:

I am trying to play BMS with the cheapo Logitech 3D Pro and downloaded the config file from the wiki. The config maps the hat to the cursor slew in the displays. This seems to work fine when I press up and down/left and right but (I think) when I push the hat to go diagonal the game goes completely apeshit and locks my view to some unhelpful direction that I have to exit the game to fix. Is there any way to disable whatever it is doing?

Yes you can disable it. I don't have time to look it up right now, but if you read the article on input devices at the bms website, there is a SimDoNothing command you can assign to the button presses that map to the diagonal directions, so it won't do anything if you accidentally do that.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Their thing about changing gas composition is this: if the pilot is breathing 100% oxygen, then the lung is great at getting all that oxygen into the blood, so there's nothing else in the alveoli. If there's now 30% nitrogen in the gas mix, then the alveoli only collapse down to 30% volume, since they're not that great at getting nitrogen into the blood.

Then the obvious answer is to breathe 100% nitrogen.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I don't think people care that much about progression, they just want to see persistent effects of the missions they fly, like when they blow something up it shouldn't be there next time. Or if their wingman gets killed he is not on the next mission. You don't need a deep narrative or anything. If you just have that along with some end point (a date, some kind of victory condition for your side), that's most of it.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Yep! And this time a team of amateurs can't fix their fuckups and make a halfway decent flightsim.

Actually, I think the CLoD people involved in that were not able to "meet their obligations," so they left and ED took over.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
It's not listed as payware, he just has a paypal link if you want to donate.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

darth cookie posted:

Thanks for the info about the airspeed indicator. I didn't know this and it'll probably help (as well modifying mission leg times so the speed makes sense).

I recall reading about it in this thread a while back but how hard would it be to modify the campaign to put more Mirages at a given airbase so I've always got some to fly (I'm expecting to die a lot).

It would be easier to play with invincibility on. Once you get the hang of it turn it off.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
When attacking stationary targets, you should put your target steerpoint right on it. You can do that in the mission planning UI, IIRC you select "Set target steerpoint" when viewing the object. Then use JDAMS and you can precision bomb it from high altitude without ever seeing it.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
FWIW the DCS Nevada alpha map is available for pre-purchase. It's $39.99 if you pre-purchase prior to October 1st.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/nttr_terrain/

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Just think of it in terms of dollars per day of development time. Then it seems cheap!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
This has what you want: http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

It can be kind of confusing depending on your level of experience with DirectX, Windows, or grognards bolting an input system on top of software written two decades ago. If you haven't seen this yet, give it a look and feel free to post again if parts are confusing, which they probably are.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

immelman posted:

There does not seem to be much love for Cliffs of Dover, even after the ATAG patch efforts. But I was wondering if anyone is planning to try out the "Storm of War" dynamic campaign? http://www.stormofwar.org/
It does look amazing and the kid in me is totally up for recreating this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHx3lWQjNWM

This looks awesome and is something that could get me into ClOD. Everything I've read about it is that it is now great, but the thing that has always held me back is that I have little to no WWII flight sim experience, and I don''t really want to get shredded by some dude who has done nothing but boom and zoom in his 109 for the last 15 years.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
That's a good point - now that there are paid missions will they try not to break them? Or will they break them and release update versions just for those ones?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Eagle Dynamics posted:

Changed M-109 reload time to be less insane. Was 7000 seconds, now 3600 seconds.

This implies it is still somewhat insane.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Wh1plash posted:

Try living in Alaska if you think caps are bad. $180 bucks for 600 gigs with a 10Mb Up 500Mb down(usually stagnates at 150-180). the next one down is $140 for half that. Then there is others that have unlimited, but youre 3 up/ 20 down for 150/mo

But you get free money from oil!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
What about cluster bombs framerate?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Sauer posted:

Wait this isn't the ED forums?

Serious problem though. The JTAC is giving me MGRS coords hundreds of KM away from what it wants me to blow up. Datalinked attack point is working fine though. This is what happens when you give marines a GPS set and a rangefinder.

From memory I think there is a "highest order bit" in the MGRS coordinates that you have to have set correctly to one of two values based on what half map you are in. If that is wrong and you type in just the lower order coordinates they send you over the radio then you end up with a point hundreds of KM away.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

OhsH posted:

so uh, where did the stand alone download link go?

i had the old beta, updated it to the 1.5 from the old beta, had to uninstall to see if it would fix a few issues, can't find a download link to 1.5? i don't have it on steam so it's kinda confusing me.

edit: got it

Where did you get it? This link says it's currently not available for download: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

A legal pad and a box of crayons.

My first software job was literally that (Well, it was actually one of those black & white checkered pads and a pen). But there were only 4 programmers.