Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Anyone tried landing the F-15 in a heavy crosswind with a full load? (in DCS)

I had several runs at it tonight and couldn't stick any without damaging something. 3 full fuel tanks and every rail loaded makes for quite a handful. Most commonly damaged the windward landing gear - I think I struggle at countering the rudder with opposite roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Haha, Maverick RP, "Permission to buzz the tower."

I know it comes in over weight, but wanted to try it regardless. You have to come in way too hot to keep enough lift and just about run out of strip if you can get it on the ground without busting the gear.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm really hanging out for 1.5 to go full release. I have a few fast paced mission templates that I've created and can modify to suit a particular groups' desires. If anyone else is handy with the mission editor I could use a few pointers on triggers and such.

The F15 flight systems are something I need to learn a little better - I can't navigate or find airfields like I can with the Su27. How to centerline?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Ahhh, you are referring to the drop tanks. I thought centerline was something to do with landing guidance. :derp: I did, however, figure out how to use the ILSN nav mode last night which is helping me find the right glide slope. Still breaking the windward gear in crosswind, though.

I know that you can drop the tanks in flight using the default "Left Alt + R" but I've also heard that you can drop individual tanks or maybe the centerline and wing pylon tanks separately. Do you know how to do this?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Currently working on a new mission for DCS World where you race to save an Su-24 from being shot down by F-16s :v:

Thinking I'll add in both the Flanker and Fulcrum. On second thought, I guess I should make it playable as either side where you can also race to shoot down the Su-24 as an F-15 and as a soldier so you can shoot the pilots as they parachute to safety.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Yeah, lots of games are using up crap loads of video memory these days. Seems like 4Gb or so is the new norm. Anti-aliasing increases memory usage a fair bit, so lowering that might help you in the mean time, if you have it turned up.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
The 1.5.2 update has gone public for DCS World. Hurray. It feels like there is a lot more depth in the visuals, which will hopefully be polished with the extra 2.0 changes, getting rid of cartoon clouds. The frame rate is drastically higher - like wow, I can turn on 3 screens and it still runs. The main menu has a lot of input lag, which could be due to it rendering that dopey cloud scene, but the GUI is definitely better and it loads way faster into simulation. It might be worth picking a static module wallpaper to alleviate this.

There are a few more options in the system settings screen, like depth of field - which tank the frame rate and really only look good in 3rd person camera modes for movie effect. Anti-aliasing seem as though it isn't working to well - particularly noticeable with cockpit shadows. The main thing I was looking forward to was the dynamic scaling of far off models so that you can actually see them when they are within what should be visible range - but that doesn't seem to be working or maybe I have some bad configurations. Is it the "Model Enlargement" option on the gameplay settings screen? How does field of view effect it? I still can't see a B52 at 20-30km but I can spot a passenger jet landing at the airport which is 30km away.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Did some testing of the scaling and found that field of view does effect it. I noticed that if I zoomed all the way in on some con-trails I couldn't even see a black dot for planes at 50km, but if I zoomed all the way out (which hurts your eyes because argh 330' fov) I could see the imposter models, albeit distorted.

Now that frame rate is way better I played around with triplehead and trying to fix bezels. There is a simple viewDx change that can be made in the MonitorSetup/3Cameras.lua file. It's handy if you don't want to run in eyefinity/surround mode all the time or have to change to it when you want to play jets. It only works as a way of bezel correction if you select 3Cameras in the settings, not for 1Camera - that way requires configuring bezel correction in your video drivers. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99931

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm in to mission 5 or (apparently the 1.5 update erased my campaign data)...was up to 5 or 6 in the Flanker campaign, I think the one where we have to chase down the American AWACS. It seems fun, but I haven't really done much else to compare. Time consuming flying so far all the time. I really like the Flanker, but yeah, BVR is pretty hard, there is a lot going on in that thing and hard to watch all of it since the panel layout separates the essentials.

I just picked a PS3 eye camera, does anyone know how to set those up well with the FaceTrackNoIR software? Bonkers told me on airgoons mumble today that there is a driver I need and that it's a pretty poo poo get up, but I just wanted something to get basic head tracking. Sorry I couldn't kill anything in the Frogfoot.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Am I right in understanding that Opentrack currently doesn't do facetracking? Any suggestion for a previous version?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm going to need a step-by-step guide or something, because many posts out there say "I got it working" or "install the thing, enjoy head tracking" but it doesn't go like that at all.

I installed opentrack 2.3 prior to the disconnecting of the face tracking api - it seems to work on the point tracker, but that's no good right, because it picks up a million points in the room and the octopus has a seizure? The facetrack crashed the program.
Next up I installed FaceTrackNoIR - no raw input data is displayed, it added a bunch of devices to DCS controls including virtual joysticks and the TrackIR column, upon loading a flight it just locks the view forward without tracking and the mouse just causes flicking.
I then copied in the the ED headtracking api folder to the /bin directory of the game, but no change.

Can someone walk me through from the start? No doubt I'm missing some steps here.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I noticed the paper marker tracking option in opentrack and thought that might be a decent way to go. I'll probably switch over to opentrack when the dude gets the face tracking sussed. In the mean time, the golden rule of restarting after installing drivers and/or software made things happen.

It's a bit shaky but I just need to fine tune it. Looking in to the idea of creating a curve shaped like steps instead to prevent shake and make it work more like snap view locations. For low effort and :10bux::10bux: I'm pretty happy with it. Certainly wouldn't not have head tracking just because it doesn't work as professionally as TrackIR.

Steps for FaceTrackNoIR are:
    1. Buy camera - PS3 eye recommended
    2. Buy the driver
    3. Install the driver
    4. Plug in camera
    5. Restart computer
    6. Download FaceTrackNoIR v170, the v170 hotfix and the ED API interface .dll (64bit).
    7. Extract the ED .dll as per readme .txt in zip file
    8. Install FTNoIR and the hotfix
    9. Run FTNoIR and load the dcs .ini profile from the location you extracted to in step 7, clicking 'start' starts the tracking and you should see your face in the video box with a yellow mask
    10. Run DCS and check that the TrackIR column as been added to the control list, head tracking should be mapped to the absolute camera things
    11. Adjust the curves and other settings using the manual as a guide, for DCS you want FaceAPI, Accela and FreeTrack.

Slim Mat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Having spent the last week or so playing with the new tracking and trying different things to see what works best (and making individual profiles for all the jets on the orbweaver) I thought I had it pretty well set up for one monitor. As a final test I bumped up the number of screens to three to see if it would fly. Expecting the frame rate to take a dive, since there is some processor overhead for the face tracking, I wasn't expecting it to be smooth enough or even render properly. However, it was completely mind bending.

The only way I could think to really show off how well it looks and functions, even with the sub-par FaceTrackNoIR+PS3Eye poverty pack, was to strap my GoPro to my head so that you could see it exactly as I do and how smooth it moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLFtEwtfVAk

The triplehead monitor arrangement allows for a 1:1 face tracking yaw curve without any deadzone. The pitch up is set at 3:1, down at 2:1 and with roll, X, Y & Z set at 1:1.

edit: more technical info

I have a slightly older high-end quad core CPU with HT (it's a sandybridge-e 3820) and a pair of GTX770 GPUs with sli. You could probably get reasonably similar performance from a single 980 or maybe a 970. I'm hoping to pick up a mid-range card when a new series hits. Frame rate sits between 35-60 currently.
The room was well lit for filming but it doesn't seem to have any trouble tracking until the light gets real dim. I have a small beard too, again, no trouble there. It works with a back lit face, even with the sun coming through the window late in the afternoon.
The screens are configured as 3 viewports in game, which is why you get that awful bending at the intersection, but using a single wide-res viewport screws the vertical fov. Also the frame rate. And the edge-of-screen image. In order to get the bezel correction without using a spanned surround/eyefinity monitor arrangement (which is kind of rubbish for anything else once you stop playing jets and requires plug position changes every time you want to use it) I modified the 3 screens LUA that I have to just "turn out" the outer viewports by adjusting the viewDx value.
code:
Viewports = 
{
     Left = 
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = screen.width / 3;
          height = screen.height;
          viewDx = -1.05;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = screen.aspect / 3;
     },

Center = 
     {
          x = screen.width / 3;
          y = 0;
          height = screen.height;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
     },

Right = 
     {
          x = screen.width * 2 / 3;
          y = 0;
          height = screen.height;
          viewDx = 1.05;
          viewDy = 0;
     }
}
A value of +/-1 means the viewports butt up against each other, higher values induce separation between them. Assumably lower values will induce overlap. Or reverse the polarity of the flux capacitor and they didn't cover what happens in Back to the Future when you do that.
I used the crummy GoPro studio app to make the video which is nigh insufferable to use but managed to make the audio levels some what ok and the music sync with footage. What is the youtube video editor like?

Yes, that is Iron Man in the video. Yes, that is a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro from nearly 20 years ago.

Slim Mat fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 22, 2016

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

Vahakyla posted:

What GPU?
Twin GTX770s with Sli. Updated previous post with more technical stuff.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Note that if you were using the sprite resolution fix for DCS each patch will restore the original files (like the one the other day did to me and I forgot and spent a whole day blind). Use something like JSGME to manage modifications or manually re-do them.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

uwaeve posted:

Would this be servicable to play multiplayer with you guys assuming I can come up to speed on the mechanics?
Yep. I don't think any of the fancy sticks twist though so I'm not sure what you are going to do about rudder control without some pedals. That said, if you stick to flying FC3 jets you only need the rudder on the ground for taxiing.

uwaeve posted:

A lot is coming back just reading the thread and listening to videos, especially how getting the loving peripherals set up is like the worst part.
Maybe just start with DCS until you get real excited about it all again - it's easier to configure.

uwaeve posted:

e: uh I guess actually one more question: I'm only on p109 of the thread, and it will probably take a re-read to see what's where with respect to the hardware stuff, but is the ghetto headtracking still going to be 3 LEDs, an unfiltered PS3 camera, and some free software? Or am I best served trying to order that MEMS DIY one for $65 or whatever pounds from England?
I did a write-up a couple pages back about sub $20 face tracking. Check out the video, too.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Round Five of Blue Flag is on.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160525

Apparently it's an always on dynamic campaign for DCS that has slots for all plane types. We should make a squad and :getin:

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Going on past results you are already above the required standard.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
The next series of video cards from Nvidia have started to be released. The GTX1080 sounds amazingly powerful but right now the price tags on all models are stupid high. Definitely worth a look in a couple of months, though. The thing that has me excited the most is the announced "Simultaneous Multi-projection" which should enable scenes to be rendered correctly for multi-monitor arrangements. Check out this video where Jen-Hsun Huang explains "wicky-wonky."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NbyEmPalA

Hopefully this is something that developers pick up quick and DCS really has a user base for it.

edit: the key part starts around 8:50

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
VR is great, but you need to have the equivalent of "500 video games" of power to get a consistently high enough frame rate. Do the release models of the Oculus and Vive have enough resolution to read instruments? Any day now the 1070 cards will come down in price and I will get one to drive these three monitors.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

Forums Terrorist posted:

if you know how to attack helicopter sniping him with atgms would be a pro move
Is this something you can do in the Gazelle? Or is it a Black Shark thing? Do you just camp the airfield and snipe them off the deck or can you actually honk them out of the sky?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
That's hilarious :supaslick:

Also; what up eve buddy?

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Stumbling around the other day I found these three great threads about combat aircraft design by a seemingly knowledgeable person:
http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/188-a-quick-explanation-of-relaxed-stability/
http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/690-a-quick-explanation-of-combat-aircraft-air-intakes/
http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/225-a-quick-explanation-of-forward-swept-wings/
I found them really interesting and the old videos on trans-sonic flight in the third link were worth the watch as well. Never figured that sound wave compression had such an impact.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
The Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X is a cheap option. Saitek's X55 Rhino is very similar to the Warthog in all but quality and price. I think they have the X56 out now which is supposedly better quality and bit more expensive but not Warthog levels.

The SA342 looks fun as all get out - fast and agile turbine powered scout helo with tv guided missiles for the co-pilot (the multi-crew aspect).

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Recoome, are you the other Aussie dude who loves the Frogfoot? Let's fly. Add me on Steam or something.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I would love a channel on the SA discord for jets. I guess another server works the same but seems like an unnecessary extra thing when we already have a major one. It would be great to have a channel to have a real-time conversation with people when the moment arises or get in touch with others to set up a game - a place to post, "I'm flying," without making GBS threads up the thread.

I'll join jb7's discord server for now.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I hear DCS 2.5 is a pretty good pack :v:

Here's the link for it: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170914

Disclaimer: product may/may not be available at time of posting and/or reading.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
On ECM
The reason those "dumb" F-15C pilots burn around with ECM on is that it completely prevents the Russian fighter radars from using Track While Scan (TWS) which allows you to fire on multiple targets and see new contacts appear on the screen at the same time. Along with confusing new/uneducated pilots about the range to the thing they have locked and getting them to waste missiles at them well outside the range.

This doesn't hold true for the F-15C, though, as its TWS is amazing. You should tend to have your ECM off in the Russian fighters, as it gives you away on the radar easily. Selectively use it to mask your range once something locks you or to help counter incoming missiles.

The main problem you are encountering is the easy-aim-120s. Any fool can shoot you down and people tend to things that are easier. This might slightly stack the teams and coupled with the fact that F-15Cs are easy to get kills with often causes the target zone to become even more so stacked in their favor. Russian-side players often don't work together and run in one at a time to the spamraam killbox.

On Engaging
Shorthand tips and tricks:
- get a wingman and work together to build a battlespace picture and track targets using both the RWR and radar
- if TWS is unavailable due to jamming use STT without locking on to anything to monitor target ranges
- don't radar lock targets until you are ready to FOX 1, this requires learning missile ranges and best guess based on limited atitude info
- avoid ECM use to stay off the scopes and make them work to find you
- use the Electro-optical boresight (IRST) to stay off the RWR while tracking targets (InfraRed Search and Track, not to be confused with Intel Rapid Storage Technology)
- use terrain masking to avoid radar detection and flank bandits
- learn how to kinetically defeat AIM-120s as many players fire at max range
- the Flanker radar is bad and a lot of work, practice with it
- the Flanker radar is good and has wider scan angles than the Eagle - do what its namesake suggests
- the Flanker radar is more reliable than IRST which can lose lock as target aspect changes or it feels like it - also applies to R-27ETs
- the Flanker radar is less reliable than Trump's campaign platform which can lose lock as a target approaches the ground or it feels like it - also applies to R-27ERs
- R-73s are 180' DK masters and never miss (the apex), use the Head Mounted Sight (HMS) to snapshot baddies
- R-27ETs have a great surprise element and often lead to kills due to target inaction
- R-27ERs should be considered rockets and only reliably hit targets at the same altitude or higher, ground clutter messes with them greatly
- attack from high or low angles to avoid setting off target RWR
- don't fly so high that you leave contrails, this altitude varies based on weather
- learn about optimum cornering speed, it varies based on at-moment loadout but will be ~800km/hr full fuel and rails and ~650 half fuel and rails

expansion to follow...

How do I shot BVR
I'm guessing this is what you are having the most trouble running up against and unfortunately there is no easy answer of "The one neat trick capitalists don't want you to know." The R-27ER does have a longer range than the AIM-120 but there are many factors that determine the maximum range at which you can launch comparative to when they can launch, such as your stance, their stance, altitude and speed. Better to explain it to you on mumble or something than spend all night writing SOP.
You can do things like:
- direct approach until FOX 1 and then immediately break and put target 45' off nose
- 45' approach, launch, hold for 10-15 seconds after they launch turn in and put them 45' off other side
- override launch auth and fire early to bork them
- if they max range launch just focus on defeating the AIM-120 (more on that later)
- if multiple bandits, just bug out
- learn wingman tactics like pincer maneuver, bait and kite, radar masking and contact stacking
- they may fire and go defensive (most don't, listen for continuing radar warning tone), defeat AIM-120 and go aggressive
- if they Rmax launch send one back to encourage them to go defensive, defeat AIM-120 and go aggressive
- if multiple launches, they remain aggressive, run...fast
- if you can't find and lock them before they fire just go defensive, even if you defeat initial incoming they are tracking and watching you and maneuvering to counter your moves making it super hard to spot the follow up AIM-9s which don't give a warning tone

Kinetically Defeating AIM-120s
It's all about that positive energy, man :rznv: This is best employed when you think you might be between those two bars on the range-to-target column that indicate max range and sure-hit range. If you do nothing, the missile will hit you. If you maneuver, you might evade it. Comparatively, missiles have very little energy in relation to your jet - the rocket motor burns for 5-10 seconds and then during all flight afterwards it is losing energy really quickly due to friction and maneuvering friction, it'll shoot up to 4500km/hr but then rapidly drop in speed after the motor burns out. It also has potential energy in altitude. Missiles fly along intercept vectors to reduce time to target and increase range, but this is easily exploitable. These are the maneuvers you want to perform to maintain or increase your energy while depleting the energy of the incoming missile to the point where it can no longer reach you or catch up:
- dive from high altitude, the missile will come off the rail and head straight for the dirt on an intercept path using up all of its potential energy and slam into the dirt while you pull out of the dive and moonwalk back to base, as you dive your speed will increase further causing the missile to lead for the intercept
- put the missile at 90' and accelerate hard with AB causing it to lead more, turn back in and try to find target at 45' off your nose while you travel in the other direction and return fire (pros do this at 45' both steps, allowing first shot or immediate return fire in order to force opponent defensive)
- AB shallow dive to steep climb, best used at right angles to missile, maintains your potential energy for follow up shots or going aggressive
- turn tail and AB away, less optimal but great at defeating lots of incoming or follow up shoots, shallow dive to increase your speed quickly and reduce missile potential energy or slight climb to reduce missile kinetic energy sooner to the point where it can no longer catch up.

Slim Mat fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 29, 2016

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
If you are looking for some training missions in the Flanker at BVR, try some of these Dissimilar Air Combat Training missions.

The old FC2 F-15C DACT missions were removed in 1.5 but have been uploaded by Kunz from this thread:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159040
There may be some errors with them due to changes since they were made but you should be able to open them in the mission editor and re-save them to correct minor faults or modify them to suit which ever jet you want to train in - just find the player jet and switch it to the module you want (with correct nation so that the opponents remain hostile) and check/change your load out using the second tab labeled PAYLOAD in the lower panel.

Alternatively, JRA has uploaded a modified version of the DACT set to use Su-27 at LockOnFiles:
http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/2540-dcs-fc3-su-27-dact-campaign/

For some more light study material head over to the FlankerTraining.com Youtube channel for a few decent videos about Flanker stuff and F-15C radar. Bonus: Ironhand is the guy who did the cornering speed video, available there.
Some other good videos illustrating angled approach, evasion and turn in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihkvt0k2ThA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-PmT6DujOE <--- good link in description to radar and ecm explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOnV8XiGx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbOnV8XiGx0 <--- flanker evading 120s, note RWR use
Some where around there is a really good video explaining how to use the cockpit timer to time incoming missiles and when to perform maneuvers. Search around and watch more videos to pick up more examples of things I mentioned or find new ones.
Don't forget that Eagle Dynamics have uploaded all the old bundled training videos to save you from downloading them and installing them to the game folders, which saves a stack of space:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?eagledynamicstv?playlists
Check out this thread for a great PDF guide on how to use the Flanker as it operates in DCS World:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=150315
It's written as a guide to playing the Flanker as a game rather than trying to bullshit about with grognard real world nonsense.

Slim Mat fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
The F10 map in DCS displays on my left monitor but I have to use the center monitor to interact with it. Please help.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
For those that have been playing Open Conflict recently, these are the LatLong coordinates of all the NPC objectives on the Red Team.
Undefended Ground Targets:
[LIS1] Listening Post (Valley) - 44°03'17" N, 39°42'10" E
[LIS2] Listening Post (Mountain) - 44°01'30" N, 39°56'46" E
[OIL] Tuapse Offshore Oilfield - 43°52'35" N, 38°50'02" E
[VAL] Valley Artillery Base - 43°22'25" N, 40°27'26" E
[OSF] Blue Open Sea Fleet - 43°47'52" N, 37°44'29" E

Defended Ground Targets:
[CHE] Chermigovskoe Drone Base - 44°14'34" N, 39°45'05" E
[INC] Spec Ops Incursion - 44°12'03" N, 39°26'26" E
[DAC] Deep Assault Convoy - 44°19'14" N, 39°21'36" E --- mobile target, initial starting position.
[TUB] Tuapse North Base - 44°09'30" N, 39°00'07" E
[MIH] Tagrskiy Oil Field - 43°13'11" N, 40°16'37" E
[DZH] Dzhubga SAM Base - 44°18'31" N, 38°43'25" E

I've been flying the SA342 Gazelle with HOT3 TOWs, and 20mm Cannon and 68mm Rockets to take out these objectives. It can be done in pairs if one brings the "M" for the AAA and SAMs, the other the "L" for soft targets, both helos can carry 2 explosive packs which can be picked up at base using the F10 radio menu (you'll need them for radio towers and easily clearing clustered soft targets). The coordinates of each base can be manually input to the NADIR so that you can fly straight to each one without having to request it over the radio all day (you'll still need to get updates on the convoy).

Later on I'm going to get the coordinates for the nearby Blue Team NPC objectives and FARP so that we can sneak over there and shoot them down.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

Helter Skelter posted:

They just need to get them shipped to people first.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-16000M-FCS-HOTAS-Controller/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477937243&sr=8-2&keywords=t16000m

vOv

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
https://youtu.be/v1od68Cf92A
Gazelle antics

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I Falcon BMSed for the first time today.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
http://imgur.com/a/CUeZj

I made an album of the Spergchair build complete with a photo of my old man flying the Gazelle.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
https://youtu.be/x1hgp6qMUww

Made a video of the new X56 mod. Purpose was to remove the centering spring, provide some resistance feedback and stop it from falling over. I designed the bracket and collar from scratch using CAD and then had it laser cut. Picked up some stainless steel fasteners and cheap 1:10 RC car shocks to put it together. The shocks can be oil filled but for now I'm leaving them with air only as it works nicely. Perhaps once I do the stick extension it'll need oil to counter the extra lever length.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
The RC car shocks are coilovers that I disassembled and removed the springs from, so yeah for sure. Even with the OEM spring under the stick the motion is nicer because it dampens the spring wobble. There are two kinds of shock around: compressed gas spring type and oil-filled dampers with coil springs, so I had to make sure of which one to get.

Working on rev.B tonight.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Hah. If you think planes are hard to fly wait until you hear about HELICOPTERS. :slick:

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekv6H5ro2rg

I'm looking forward to the Hornet. It will be the must have jet for DCS. A-A and A-G. Fast, agile and carrier-based.

Or I could make BMS work :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
For what it's worth I learned to fly the Gazelle without learning Frenchenesian or installing a translated cockpit skin. I also learned how to fly the Flanker without Russian and choose to leave it set to Russian symbology in the settings.

But I agree that there should be translated cockpits and that it isn't unreasonable to expect it to come from the people who you pay money to, just like all other games...and movies and books and.

At least they produce flight manuals in English.