Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

ZekeNY posted:

I really love that they’re doing this. I also really love that ED is finally going to fix the gun dispersion problem.

:reddit: posted:

[..]most software engineers are just human and don’t like their ‘babies’ to be criticized.
wtf

:reddit: posted:

Furthermore most of them are highly educated and it’s not always easy to get them to verify their stuff in great depth.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztrv_ZML8w

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sankis posted:

Are the maps, asset packs, supercarrier etc purely just extra stuff for people to make missions or campaigns with? The flight sim equivalent of getting a cool new train station model for your train set.

For the F-14 at least, it has developer made missions on the other maps, which you can only play if you own them.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

Expect another goon DCS mission tonight on Persian Gulf.

Start time 2100 UTC.

Four slots for each:

F-14
F-18
F-16
AV-8

Sign up sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoTRHMDocq0-nHkySz0b3TUopqUU415Mdi-4VSdhmY4/edit

Take off from land airfield. Ingress under 4000 feet to Havadarya Air Base to perform an Offensive Counter Air. Destroy parked planes, and bomb the runway in an early morning raid on Iran. Destroy intercepts, and gently caress off. Harriers once again will lead the strike package and prioritise parked planes, with F-18s and F-16s assisting. F-14s are pure CAP. Total length of waypoints is a bit shorter than yesterday, combining about 85 nm of travel to target with avoiding detection.

Sounds cool, I hope to join another time. Is this on a US or EU server?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tippis posted:

It's usually EU.

Nice

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Stringent posted:

Yeah, that's what I was gathering, I just didn't know if there were any hard preferences for AMD versus Intel or whatever, but it looks like that's kind of hair splitting on the top end as I haven't found any consensus. It looks like I can get a decent deal on a used system with a i7 8700K and a 1080ti.

Honestly, that might be one of the better ones you could get. DCS is AFAIK very much dependent on single thread performance.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

isn't the only difference between the F-14A and B that the -A has engines that are weak and suck and flame out all the time

It also has an older RWR that's borderline useless, and only visible to the RIO. (This is where the "navy bought commercial police-radar warning sets" story comes in.)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

Some screenshots from today.

Looks great

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I like that the Mirages role is "Mirage".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Discord link appears to be expired

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

my kinda ape posted:

Speaking of which...I got my plaguebux today and I'm thinking about getting a VR headset for DCS/IL-2, what's the best one? Valve Index or is there something else better for flight sims? I'm not super interested in playing other VR games besides flight sims.

Just for flight sims? HP Reverb.

mashed_penguin posted:

Apparently HP has a new headset coming out soon that is some sort of colaboration with MS and Valve so it might end up being good :shrug:

Or wait for this.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

VR resolutions:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

mashed_penguin posted:

The rona has disrupted most of the tech supply chains it seems. Rifts have been out of stock for the last month or so.

Those resoultion charts are a bit misleading though in that the type of panel matters a lot. The rift s has a lower density than the quest for example but looks much sharper as it is LCD vs OLED. Same with the index vs other sets. Did the gen 1 reverb ever solve their QC issues? They were pretty bad at launch from memory.

Afaik they did, I have a late series one.

Resolution still matters though, in the total amount of information you can resolve, which is especially important in flightsims, spotting small objects or reading dials.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tippis posted:

The external factor being the limited resolution available on current VR headsets, which fails to properly convey the necessary detail on many, if not most, instruments. In the props or the F-5, then yeah, VR is still nice. For anything more advanced, not quite as much.

I went back to monitor because I fly planes filled with funky sensors, and I rather enjoy being able to actually use them…

I went from OG Vive to HP reverb, and can now read all dials and TID in the tomcat without moving my head. It is great, I haven't been back to 2d since. Still have trouble with the annunciator panel and radio/tacan labels though.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

mashed_penguin posted:

It definately didn't help that last mission a good chunk the jets didn't have working radars or nav systems and we were pretty much visually following the flight in front of us :shepface:

If it's good enough for the bomber stream, it's good enough for you! Follow the pathfinder aircraft, stay in your box!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Don't use curves on. On any plane.

Unless your joystick is literally not up to the task I guess.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

You don't need it, it's a crutch.

It's the same thing with fpv quad fliers, spending to much time fiddling with stick curves, which mucks up their muscle memory. Instead you could use that time to git gud.

Recoome posted:

IIRC the MiG-21 should have a curve.

Then the MiG-21 flight model should have one.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

power crystals posted:

I have also done this in the F-14 by seeing a hostile and panicking into trying to pitch sharply at very high speeds, immediately snapping both wings off and then spiraling into the ground/water while permanently blacked out. I assume the moving wings make it far easier to do that in the tomcat than in a traditional aircraft.

AFAIK, they were not really a weak point. It's just that you have a high performance jet with no fbw to save you.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

DCS World: Do you have a licence to land on this carrier

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

mashed_penguin posted:

DCS World : Helooooooo and welcome to Airgoons.

:v:

Cursed

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

DCS World: Multiple Stennii

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

Caved in and bought the Tomcat. It feels super sophisticated compared to the Mig 21 that's for sure. Good thing Jester can checklist the start up because there's no way in hell I'd remember all of that.

Curiously I managed to stuff it quite badly while landing on the ground for the first time but I landed on the carrier (barely) fine on the first go. First ever carrier landing in any plane too. They didn't give me an actual trap score though so I guess it wasn't that great. Its a really weird plane to land compared to the Mig. You just sort of slap it down on the runway and it feels really strange.

Fun though. Might finally have a new favorite plane

Now to use it exclusively in ill conceived ground attack applications. :pilot:

If you do a "video game" startup, it's quite simple. (By that I mean skip all tests).

Naval aircraft landings are controlled crashes into the runway, you're quite right. And it works very well as a ground attack aircraft.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

RangerKarl posted:

I swear it's like they have that front HUD port angled downwards or something

:hmmyes:

Hmm, yes, "like"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

power crystals posted:

Well at least now I feel justified in always using dot labels. I did have the "brilliant" idea of binding view zoom in the RIO cockpit to my rudder pedals' rudder axis so now I can easily snap-zoom in the cases where that's useful (rudder axis and not toe brakes because it auto-centers instead of returning to 0 and 0% zoom is pretty much never desirable).

You can tune axis in DCS, so that 0-100 on your controller is for instance 50-100%.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

power crystals posted:

Yeah, if you do that it just sets the "0" value to be at one end and then one value from that it snaps to your desired value, like so:

This is not useful.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think it allows an offset like that. You can tune it so that 0-100% is actually 25%-75%, for instance, but I haven't found a way to remap the range to not be centered.

What you want is "saturation". I literally used this on a virpil AP disconnect lever, to avoid zoom reverting all the way to 0.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tippis posted:

e: Also, if you ever transition to the F/A-18, you will feel right at home with the Northrop pedals and a throttle response that is best measured in weeks. :cheeky:

Famous Northrop bird F/A-18?

Or are you saying McD had the same pedal design?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MrYenko posted:

The F-18’s heritage is... Complicated. Short version, Northrop designed the YF-17 for the LWF program, and partnered with McD to bring the F-18A to production for the VFAX program instead. Northrop was planning on offering the F-18L separately as a land-based low-cost export light fighter. McD started offering the F-18A for foreign sale, Northrop sued, McD countersued, and Northrop ended up becoming a subcontractor on their own airplane.

Legal departments are important, ya’ll.

Tippis posted:

Same design with the logo front and centre. Also, I have a distinct recollection that the first release reused a bunch of old art including actual Northrop pedals, but that might have been fixed by now. :D

Fascinating, thanks

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

Question for those who know better (and fly better). I've been doing case 3 carrier landings off the supercarrier in the F14. I've gotten the hang of auto throttle (what a useful little tool) and using AWL/PCD mode to get the needles where I need (heh) them so I can make a carrier landing. According to the chuck's guide, the LNDING CHK light should come on at 6 miles. It doesn't, and a controller comes on the radio to ask about my needle position. He usually say "concur - mode 2" or something similar. At 4 miles the "ACL Ready" light is supposed to come on to let me know I can activate auto land. It does not.

Is it simply something up with the supercarrier or am I loving up somewhere? I SUSPECT that I'm not adequately lined up at the 6 mile mark and the guy on the radio is politely telling me to get hosed and do it manually, but I'm not sure.

Any advice?

"Fixed datalink connections with supercarrier. (Note: ACLS is currently off glideslope, we will fix it asap. ICLS is working as intended)"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=235973&page=2

Seems like ACLS doesn't work properly. Did you remember to flip autopilot to "on" though? And both HUD and VDI switches were on "ACL"?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

Also I dispute their claim that ICLS is working as intended because if you follow that vertical needle you will come in at a surpisingly shallow angle.

Is this with needles on ILS or ACL?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

ACL as far as I can tell.

Switch to ILS, see if those work better

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Dark Off posted:

the visibility was much worse than that, for hornet flight It was all white fog with no indication for up or down other than hud and instruments. I would say the biggest cause for those crashes were higher than normal descent rate (20 degrees),
I avoided the mountain because i saw black wall closing and was thinking that dcs was acting up.

here is longer version of that furball.
https://youtu.be/HC0I7xjg4Uc

Dude, that's below the clouds, in the valley. Seems like you never dropped low enough

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

Starting to feel pretty good about the AV8 and the F14.

Had a couple of missions out and about and I successfully managed to launch the F14, kill a few things, not get shot down (a first!) and land back on the carrier. I need to refresh my memory on the case 2/3 radio calls though since they wouldn't grade my trap since I didn't do the comms properly beforehand. Also have to get better at getting jester to lock up stuff at proper ranges so I can use the AIM 54s at much longer ranges than I'm currently doing. Mig 23/21s can't shoot from that far away but 29s sure can.

As soon as you get "Hot Trigger" light with phoenix selected, you can launch (but shouldn't, depending on range). It will go towards the first launch priority, which is the target with a number 1 to the right of it. You can then follow up immediately by launching on the five next targets, one by one, should they exist. No input required.

If you need to specify target, that's a bit more tricky with jester. There is currently no way to make him change launch priority, so you will need to use Single Target Lock. Tell him to lock target based on distance, launch priority number, etc.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

Seems pretty likely that ED offices also have couple code monkeys who can't all work

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1295769244894785538

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Uncommonly many tomcat slots open, I wish I was back at my pc on saturday :(

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

concise posted:

Lol. You guys had hot starts for the first revision of the map and you were getting enemy position info from the F10 map the whole time that game. That mission was a waste of an afternoon.

PVP maps suck rear end unless it’s air quake because scenarios are incredibly difficult to balance so that both sides have fun.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

"Hard choices were made, mr. President. Yes, it's regrettable, but we could not let their knowledge fall into enemy hands."

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I said come in! posted:

When creating custom missions, is there a way during the mission to visually see the waypoint markers you place for the plane you're flying, or are those only for the benefit of AI?

Depends on whether the aircraft can load waypoints into it's navigation system, but generally yes.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ED posted:

6. ED is going to "take away" all bombs and rockets from the 3rd party devs (weapons will be developed internally).

Lol, fuuuuuck yoooooou

Saul Kain posted:

Any word on VR in BMS?

Also, tomcats and carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

that is a missile though

Could that be a translation error? Why would ED care about how some 3rd party Zuni performs.