Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
TrackIR really benefits from taking some time to make sure your camera placement and response curves are set up correctly. I sit pretty close to the sensor and don't normally have trouble, but I still need to refine some of my response curves because I'm not totally happy with them.

Having any source of light behind you can really tweak out the sensor. I've had to block a few windows in my office for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And it completely frees up a hat switch, very useful for modern combat sims.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The X-65 got discontinued pretty quickly for a good reason. I'd wait for reviews of the X-55.

Alternatively you could just do what I do and use a cheap Logitech joystick for my left hand and a better one (like a FLY 5 or that thrustmaster one that everyone likes) for the right. It works surprisingly well, especially for flying helicopters and for space-sims, where you can use one joystick to control pitch and the other to control directional thrust. The only disadvantage is that you're stuck with whatever cheap sliders for your throttle.

A centering axis like a joystick seems weird for helicopter collective. I guess you just get used to it? Seems like a neat idea otherwise.

The X55 looks pretty cool, but I'm finally getting rid of the last of my Saitek peripherals and I'll never look at them again. Too much heartache.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Those profile programs are necessary to utilize the different "modes" on those devices that have them, but I've never bothered actually setting up a profile across various modes. I just make everything fit on one and use a keyboard for the rest.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The key to all types of taildragger flying is judicious use of rudder. Pulling back gently on the stick to lock the tail wheel also helps. Advance the throttle more slowly so the prop wash doesn't beat your tail up before you get enough forward motion for rudder effectiveness.

You absolutely have to dominate the rudder though. That tailwheel wants you backwards and dead.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

cormac posted:

http://www.delanengineering.com/delanclip/

This is what I use, it's cheaper than the naturalpoint one and made of metal so it's nice and rugged, and very well put together. It's not exactly pretty though.

Wow this looks great. I've got some spare TrackClip Pros that I'll work through before I get one of these, but it looks like a pretty permanent solution.

Sanguine posted:

The Track IR is amazing. Doing visual approaches while having to manually control your view is a bloody nightmare, and being able to look around the pillars on the SU-25T is a must.

Anyone tried the headphone clip thing for the TrackIR? I don't really like wearing a hat, it makes me look dorky :v:

As others have said, the TrackClip Pro is fragile. You need to be careful with it, and eventually over time the plastic fasteners and seams will begin to break apart. You can extend the life of it by quite a bit with some clever gluing and taping. I eventually had to replace mine after several years of use and repairs.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I've had my TrackClip Pro for almost 6 years now and it's working fine. It's cheap plastic sure, but it's not a load bearing component so why the big deal? I'm not sure why everyone else's is breaking, maybe don't sit on it like a fat clumsy goon?

That's probably exactly it, great job.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, the last replacement one I ordered had to be immediately replaced again because I noticed some poor molding/fitting and I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot with this new clip.

I leave mine attached to my headset, and I wrap the cord carefully after use and hook it around one of my PC speakers for storage. It's usually a good plan, but I have to remember to be careful with the clip because it's not that sturdy, and the breakdown of the last one was caused by accidental headset drops or having a cord snag on something when trying to put it away/take it out. Also I may accidentally bump it when reaching for things on my desk, or a cat may come by and rub on it.

The things don't normally spontaneously explode, the damage IS caused by physical contact, be it light or hard. My point was that I find the overall arrangement to be a bit fragile, especially considering the cost. I still like it, though.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 22, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Function over form.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Leo Showers posted:

So at 0100 UTC on Friday the 23rd I am going to join some random e-squadrons server as a SAM operator and shoot them down. If anyone else has Combined Arms and would like to kill pubbies for fun then I'll be on steam and IRC tomorrow and we'll figure out what's going on.

I've never played with these dudes before but they could be pretty hardcore simmers so I think it could be fun.

Sounds fun but I'll be occupied. Also, to get technical it'd be the 24th of May, 0100UTC (0100 UTC on May 23rd was 6 hours ago). I've goofed up so many events trying to convert to UTC.

Which IRC do you hang out on?

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 23, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Burno posted:

JJ Jonas wears hats too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dktiXszNTU

Do you want to be like JJ Jonas?

I am a proud track clip pro owner.

fake edit: did you guys ever think of just using a rubber band to hold your broken track clip pros to the headset?

I repaired mine several times before finally replacing it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For any enthusiast that sticks with simming for years and years, I think TrackIR is a wonderful peripheral that completely changes the way you fly. However, I also flew sims for many many years without one and did just fine. Necessary? No way. But I definitely recommend it to anyone with the means and the continued interest in flight sims (or driving sims, or infantry games).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Does the BMS Falcon normally accelerate on the ground at idle? I have to ride the brakes to keep it at a reasonable taxi speed, and I've calibrated my throttle.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I know the CTS mumble is the official hangout for BMS folks, but if anyone else out there is like me and doesn't idle in mumble, Vahakyla and a few other BMS goons hang out in #flightsim in IRC. Also since search is broken here are some other threads you guys might be interested in for bookmarking, so you don't have to stumble on them in the Games forum accidentally..

Flight Sim
IL-2
Warthunder
Rise of Flight

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 18, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is there any other?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ok that's fair, given this website's history (but man, that's ancient history).

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Wh1plash posted:

And is there going to be another dcs world freebie fun night? I got a shitbag sidewinder with broken buttons, but can still manage to fly, barely lol.

DCS pick up games happen weekly or so. There was talk in IRC tonight about getting a game going, but I'm not sure if they actually went through with it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A goon is selling a set of Saitek Rudder Pedals, thought someone in here might be interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647826

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sauer posted:

In the Israeli theatre those are the same thing. Orphanages are Hezbollah training facilities. All hospitals are military facilities. Blow up a Hamas commander's home in a crowded neighbourhood. Make sure you use multiple MK-84s.

And so help them if any of those violent Palestinians throw rocks at you as you pass by. Defend yourself appropriately.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Nah you probably messed up.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well, if nothing else you were committed to the approach.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This guy had some trouble with it too, I'm assuming something was configured incorrectly (about 18min in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFRtvwEVxo

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
CH makes really good stuff.

CH makes really ugly stuff.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Goetta posted:

Hi I want to try BMS out and got everything installed and whatnot but can't register for the Falcon Online site because I don't know the answer to the "What is the acronym (abbreviation) for Falcon Online?" question. It isn't BMS or FOL and I feel like a huge idiot because I have been trying to find the answer for like 20 minutes now.

Sorry, if you're a bot you can't register.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

BadOptics posted:

Is there a new mumble server? I tried adding the one in the OP so I can fly with goons and hopefully get some tips as I'm brand new to BMS/DCS, but it won't connect.

It appears to be online for me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Runway 56?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Ah, yeah. Because runway 56 would by 560degrees. I thought it was a typo, I get it now. It's probably runway 06 or 05.

EDIT: Ah there was a pic. Yeah, Runway 06.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

pthighs posted:

This looks awesome and is something that could get me into ClOD. Everything I've read about it is that it is now great, but the thing that has always held me back is that I have little to no WWII flight sim experience, and I don''t really want to get shredded by some dude who has done nothing but boom and zoom in his 109 for the last 15 years.

I buy mil sims for the button clicking. I hate playing against other people for precisely the reason you stated.