Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just saw about the DCS sale from someone posting about it in the Star Citizen thread. I played a fair bit of DCS: A-10C back before DCS World existed and touched it a little bit after that. I also dabbled in goon games around that time, though eventually fell off.

I have an X52 Pro and a TrackIR. I own DCS: A-10C and some of the modules from around that time (Black Shark 2, Combined Arms 1.5, P-51D), though I haven't really touched them.

I'm planning on getting back into A-10C again soon and am curious if there are any other modules I should pick up while they're on sale. In A-10C, I really liked the feeling of being a big rear end flying tank. I liked the routine of the start up procedure, plotting a course of action, the setting up of weapons systems and such in the MFCD and then taking off and ruining some pixel man's day. I guess I liked the idea of being someone's close air support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Thanks for the suggestions. The viggens, harrier, and f-14 seem the most appealing. Of those three do any of them have a campaign, if so how about one that's worth playing? I mentioned that I mostly played before DCS World. How easy is it to get fan made missions and stuff? I feel like I'd have heard of it if it did, but World doesnt have any kind of dynamic campaign stuff, does it?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Are the maps, asset packs, supercarrier etc purely just extra stuff for people to make missions or campaigns with? The flight sim equivalent of getting a cool new train station model for your train set.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 28, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Tippis posted:

Sort of? It's not just for the mission-maker — the person playing the mission also have to own all that junk (supposedly with one special exception: the supercarrier in MP) in order for the mission to be available to them. It's not like in IL2 where you have everything installed, and your purchases just dictate what you, personally, can select to use out of all of that.

Planes in multiplayer maps are a bit of an exception: you'll still be able to join a server running such a mission even if you don't have any of the aircraft, but you obviously won't have access to any of those non-owned aircraft slots.

Oh, right. I figured you had to own them to play that stuff too but thanks for clarifying about the planes. That's good to know.

The maps definitely do look nice and stuff, too. That Supercarrier also just seems rad as hell in general.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I think I saw something on steam about them needing to split their sale in half? first two weeks are planes, second two weeks are choppers, maps and missions

Probably just some weird limitation with how much dlc they have

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

So I'm back doing the DCS A-10C tutorials. In my mind start up was a lot more complicated than it actually is. I was also surprised at how much I remembered. That said, I've since gotten to the flying part of the training and no matter what I do the A-10 wants to pull up. Is this normal behavior that I'm supposed to trim to account for or is it on my end? My stick appears to be calibrated correctly and everything. To clarify, the plane seems to want to go at about a 20 degree angle of attack (or more) if I leave the stick centered.

My stick is a Saitek X52 Pro.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

MrYenko posted:

The A-10 has pitch, roll, and yaw stabilization, but is not fly-by-wire like the F-16 or F-18. Trim is your friend.

Okay. Thanks. Phew. I was worried my stick's calibration broken or something.

Though I think it still is broken, just not as bad as I thought. Does anyone in here have the X52 Pro by chance? Google is no help on this issue. The mouse wheel on the throttle only seems to register "mouse wheel down" and the button press. Even if I go up it registers as a down. It is very frustrating and I don't know if it's actually hardware or another weird, hidden option like the clutch. DCS World, in general, also seems to like to lose my stick's configuration in the lovely logitech program. Why can't any controller of any sort ever have good loving software?

Edit: You know, I don't think I've ever had anything but trouble with this drat thing over the years. I'd get something new and better if only the world wasn't on fire.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 31, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

This current issue with the mouse wheel on the throttle is such a small thing but it's still driving me nuts. I'm halfway tempted to take the thing apart and see if I can't fix it somehow. I'd almost certainly make it worse though.

I thought upgrading software/drivers might help since the software I had on this PC was still from before before MadCatz sold Saitek but the new software is just the old software but slower and in a Logitech branded application.

Edit: That Gladiator II looks really nice. Though if I'm gonna buy a new stick it'll probably need to be a whole new hotas setup for the above reasons.

Edit: I'm probably blaming the stick a bit more than it deserves. Saitek stuff past and present hasn't ever been made extremely well but I think I got this in like 2012 or 13. Maybe longer.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 31, 2020

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I've seen some phone and tablet apps that tie into DCS World in some way but they seem to cost a lot or are woefully outdated. Is there a list of these anywhere? Anything free or not, like, $30? Are they even worth it if I don't have some Warthog cockpit setup that needs working screens? It seems like it'd be neat to have the MFCDs on my phone or something.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Is that a standard DCS thing or a third party?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Built in. You have to edit some LUA files but that's it.

That's super cool. I think I have an old monitor around here somewhere. Maybe I'll dig it out for that sometime.

Does anyone have an issue where alt-tabbing out of DCS World causes it to forget your joystick buttons? I'm using the logitech software for my X52 Pro and it is super annoying.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

How do you not just license Danger Zone for everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

$10 is suspiciously fair of them. What's the catch? Is it for a limited time?