Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've started playing again recently and god drat am I stupid for never bothering to mess with axes curves. I've got a Logitech g940 and it defaulted to 0 dead zone. Tweaked it a bit and now I'm flying the F-15 like a loving madman. Still getting blown the gently caress up because I'm not very good at out maneuvering missiles, knowing when to dump countermeasures, or knowing when the gently caress an IR missile is about to plow into my butthole. At least I learned that circles means friendlies after killing goons multiple times last year :milk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

There is no way to tell when an IR Missile is coming at you, besides eyballing for it.

Oh I know, I've just been trying to find the best tutorial on missile (especially IR) avoidance during dogfights.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of graphics, I always see people play with the mirrors off. Do they do that to increase performance or what?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm down for flying almost whenever, mostly in the evening Pacific time though.

I love the 6dof cockpits and all but it's there any way to switch between that and the old cockpits?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I had a good time, I'll definitely play whenever next time is. The best part is midair collisions out of nowhere :getin:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I really hope they do allow use of the upgrade key in the future, I know it's not important since I can just fire up standalone but it would be nice to have all my stuff in steam too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I love you, holy poo poo that's what I've needed for a while as an explanation of dodging missiles.

Edit: I think I did try last week but no luck on steam taking my key.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No, because you're moving away from the launcher as you do the reversals.

I found a good video I saw a long time ago but had forgotten about until recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6EgzDwiGs

Mike-o fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 22, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

JacksLibido posted:

That video is awful unless it's showing him trying to push on the SA8. The first threat rx if he had stopped the turn with it aft it would have self destructed just the same and he would have been even further away, the second time if he had turned with it on his aft if wouldn't have gotten anywhere near him. The second video, he did a split S straight vertical and almost ate the missile, had he turned out he could have possibly overflown it. If you're trying to push on the sam that's one thing, if you're just trying to avoid just run away.

Welp, shows what I know :shrug:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've babied the poo poo out of mine, haven't damaged it once and yet the plastic siding from the two hinges covering the wiring has completely fallen off. I can pop it back in but it eventually just falls right back out.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
On that note, not sure how many people know but some (all? can't remember) modules have an arcade mode so you can just gently caress around without learning all the buttons etc.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I know, I'm just throwing it out there so people know, if they want to mess with it :v:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've been sperging out and reading way too much, but the F-15 does have some rudimentary A-G capability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle

quote:

Later in 1985, during Operation Wooden Leg, IAF Eagles bombed the PLO headquarters in Tunisia. This was one of the few times air superiority F-15s (A/B/C/D models) were used in tactical strike missions. The air to ground role for the air superiority variants became more frequently used in Israeli service from the early 2000s with the integration of GPS guided bombs.

Hopefully next time I'm not busy and I can hop in and fly some Eagles with you guys.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I suck and I haven't had time to play recently, sorry Vaha I shoot you down every time you ask :(
Hopefully somehow I won't be busy tomorrow and I'll jump in and shoot some blues tomorrow.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The eject button makes you jump out of the command connex to get a to-go plate from the chow hall.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've never really browsed flight sim forums, that's really loving sad and depressing that there are grognards out there like that. You'd think that they would realize how relatively small the flight sim community is and be welcoming of newcomers, instead of being massive shitlords.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I tried to register for falcon-online.org. Rejected, no reason given. Suck my dick, spergs.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No clue if it's true, but I've always heard that it's the best color for eye strain relief or something to that effect. Supposedly the Soviets did some research or some junk.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Would totally make motorcycle vroom vroom sounds if I was flying that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Just checked, do did I.