Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
As soon as you lose your visual reference you can't rely on your senses at all. 1G feels like 1G if you're flying straight and level or upside down in the middle of an inadvertent split S about to become a very large divot.

Basically, with no visual reference trust your instruments and only your instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

I really like the GTA music you put over it. Some San Andreas poo poo rigfht there.
Also no worries, that happened to me as well.

Trip report with the A10 so far. I learned to use every weapon system, buddylase, sending SPIs, everything JTAC, emergency procedures, in-air engine restarts, weapon config with DSMS, reprogramming weapons after failures, creating steerpoints with the CDU, markpoints. Currently learning how to in-air refuel, but that is more of a problem with handling and not the technical ascept. Am I missing anything else important?

Congratulations, you now know the A-10C better than most goons.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot of sims suffer from that. Of course, if you try to suggest that something be done about that because IRL it's easier to see poo poo than it is on even a really really good LCD panel a million nerds crawl out of the woodwork to call you a child and tell you to go back to playing COD.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I suck so much at BMS but I'm getting better, slowly!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

Vaha said I should write a review of the X55 since I am appearently the first goon who used it extensivly with all sorts of flight sims. His words, not mine.

Stick:
You have a pinky switch, a rocker switch in front of your pinkie

The biggest complain here is that the trigger is not 2-stag

If I'm reading this right, this means you have 3 pinky buttons?

That means one for actual pinky, one for 1st stage trigger so you can still do nice, accurate A-10 gun runs and one left over to do something else, like another countermeasure button.

EDIT: just looked for myself. Ya, it's only 2 pinkie buttons and a single CMS button instead of 5.

Still, I'm sure you'll be able to make it work.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 11, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any chance Sunday BMS can be late in the evening. I'm readily available at 8:30 CST.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

Device ID stuff.

I did some digging on this when I was having similar problems with IL2. Lemme look in to it, there may be a very easy solution.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
DCS has a lot going for it but the BMS dynamic campaign is a dream come true. I'd be thrilled if any other game made coop play as good as this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna wrangle people for IL2 once multiplayer is sorted out. Until then I (or Vaha if he's around) am going to be hosting BMS on Sundays unless someone finds some good DCS A10 missions.

This Sunday I'm game at 1:40 PM CST.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

RangerKarl posted:

How do you guys deal with Windows randomly deciding controller orders for you. I figured I'd go in and try a bout but apparently the game/Windows thinks my joystick is my throttle, my throttle is my pedal, and my pedal is my joystick. Of course the DX bindings go haywire as well...

:siren: It's time to pass on my knowlege of the lovely ways games can assign ID's to joysticks :siren:

Method 1, Actual Device Name - The Good Way I know that DCS does this, so does ARMA. A GUID is generated but the game uses the actual device name.

No need to explain because if the game does it this way it doesn't matter how your controllers are plugged in it'll just loving work.

Method 2, the base VID and PID's of your sticks. I know at least the IL-2 games and Rise of Flight use this poo poo rear end method:

VID_044F&PID_0402 - Thrustmaster Warthog Stick
VID_044F&PID_0404 - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle
VID_046D&PID_C215 - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
VID_046D&PID_C216 - Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
VID_068E&PID_C0F2 - CH Pro Pedals USB
VID_068E&PID_00FA - CH Throttle Quadrant USB
VID_045E&PID_028E - Xbox 360 Wired Controller

These are hard coded and can't be changed. Your game will enumerate them alphabetically (Hexadecimal, so 0-9,A-F). This is why some games seem to gently caress with your controls when you leave a game controller plugged in like a gamepad.

The only way to deal with this is to find out the VID and PID of each controller by checking the properties in the device manager. Look for the Device ID in the details tab. Once you make a list, always keep in mind what controllers are in what order when you set up your controls and keep the poo poo you had plugged in connected and vice versa.

Method 3, the slightly more unpredictable yet not quite terribly difficult to deal with way Some old games like I think BMS (havent checked yet) and I know the FSUIPC plugin for FSX use this method.

The device is assigned ID's in order of when they were plugged in. That's literally it. Once a Device has that ID, it keeps it. If you unplug the device, the rest of them keep their ID.

:siren: The EASY WAY TO DEAL WITH METHOD 3 :siren:

Download this program that used to be on wingmanteam.com (Logitech) before it got shut down. I also included DXTweak2.exe, which also owns. IIRC the changes you make in DXTweak2 don't stay between reboots in Win7 but you can make a profile, save it and load it up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5inuhmnn9rpqpro/JoyIDs.zip?dl=0

The registry keys that keep track of all this nonesense can be found here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\Joystick\DINPUT.DLL\CurrentJoystickSettings

There another corresponding entry, HKCU\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\[DEVICE VID AND PID]\Calibration\0\Joystick Id

Keep in mind that the stuff in CurrentJoystickSettings go from 1-n but the ones in the second key are numbered 0-n

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 22, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tomorrow at 2 CST but it'll be Falcon. IL-2 starts as soon as you can host in BoS.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

So its an unfinished $70 product?

Welcome to modern PC gaming :sigh:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Arcade is basically arcade, realistic is the simulator physics, but with the camera views. Simulator locks you to the cockpit, or virtual cockpit.

Nobody plays simulator

Last I heard, in 'realistic' gunnery is still easier with a mouse than a stick, or is this not true due to using the simulator physics?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
As soon as this hits steam and gets multiplayer I want to be shooting you goons with a fighter shaped like a cock.

http://www.simpleplanes.com/

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's amazing how once he gets a proper HOTAS for it he realizes that the A-10 is truely the best plane to sperg on, because it's low and slow and the chillest of all the killy planes.

Until you want to go so low you're dodging pine cones.

You guys just been running Bacteria or are there any other good dynamic missions that haven't been broken by yet another update?

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to do some flying this :siren:Sunday November 30th at 12:30 CST:siren:, I'll be either running old IL-2, DCS or maybe Falcon.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 27, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

There are a small number of decent missions. Generally mission makers have either hosed off to other things because ED breaks all our missions every patch, or they're waiting for DCS World 2 or Edge or whatever its called these days.

This is why I haven't bought any modules since the Christmas sale. It's all and good to have a neat plane with clicky cockpits but it's proven to be loving impossible to get people to play when the missions are poo poo tier. Operation Bacteria really is the only thing I like that still (somewhat) works.

Game devs need to realize that writing a sandbox and then leaving the rest of it to 'the community' is a bullshit co-out and hampering peoples ability to actually make missions is loving retarded.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZekeNY posted:

Looks like I managed to screw up my DCS install, it dropped from a silky ~60 fps to maybe 1fps if I'm lucky. I did two things to the machine: installed BMS, and updated the graphics driver (GTX 780) to the latest revision. (Reverting to the previous driver version didn't help.)

Any ideas on what I could have done to screw this up? Should I just delete the whole thing and re-install it?

Delete the DCS folder in your user profile that holds all your settings. Sometimes the settings files are incompatible between versions.

My condolences for the loss of your control binds.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I just say gently caress it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Longtiem posted:

i like how you have the extreme 3d pro still out there, as a memorial to how this sick addiction started

I still use it for Arma and now Kerbal Space Program. Little buddy still has his uses :3:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can wait till February for 2.0. The fact that they as a company admitted their code was poo poo and are actually fixing puts it well above a lot of other game devs.

Still not buying any more planes until it's out on Steam, though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

Falcon at 3pm EST on saturday and 3pm EST on sunday.
This is the last weekend for Israel and we have added a SEAD-squadron with HARMs in stock.

Cant make it at 3 dude.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
As much as I begrudge to admit it vaha is right the falcon 4 dynamic campaign is a gift from the sperg gods and makes it better than any other sim. If lowengrin would flesh out the MDS campaign stuff so join in progress AND meaningful campaign progression were a thing it'd come close but its not gonna happen.

If any Sim had a third party campaign as good as falcon 4 it'd be worth as much as much as the game itself to me. I'd pay a hundred bux for a campaign as good as falcon 4s in either the new IL2 or DCS.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress this thread moves fast can you put links to the poo poo I'm gonna need to download for tomorrow in the OP?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

I'm currently installing Windows XP on a spare partition to see if I can get Jane's F-18 to work since it really doesn't like modern 64-bit operating systems. It took a surprising amount of work to get it to install off a USB key, because who has an optical drive anymore, find SATA drivers that worked, fool it into installing on to a GPT partitioned drive and now its installing so slowly I'm sure its running the USB port in 1x mode because old OS.

The things I do for carrier ops.

I did get it running in a VM but none of the surfaces in the 3D world had textures. Worked okay with the DirectX reference device being forced on but flight sims are hard to play at 1/10 of a frame per second.

Might try running it in Wine on my laptop while this takes a year to install.

Reminds me of the time I tried to build the ultimate Windows 98 gaming PC to support some old games I wanted to play during the weirdness of early Windows 9x when sound cards were still accessed directly. I got as far as getting it ready for the OS install when the Voodoo 3 I had inside melted.

Welp :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

Nah it doesn't. I'm messing around with the registry to see if device ID orders can be easily changed or not.

3 things:

1) The Warthog profile creates a virtual controller that combines the 2 actual controllers. The order of the actual sticks doesnt matter as they won't be detected by the game, only the combined controller.

2) Use the JoyID tool I posted in this post to make sure that the virtual controller gets the first slot. It usually does but sometimes might get messed up. The control issues I had last Sunday were due to this getting messed up.

3) The order you see in the Game Controllers window isn't the old school ID order, it's the 'Sort by VID&PID' order. JoyID's will show you the old school method:

Picture's worth a thousand words:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 16, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The program I posted will work fine, but there's a little trick when you want to swap devices around:

Click on the stick in slot 1 and put it in an empty slot.
Click the stick in slot 2 and put it in slot 1.
Click the stick in the random empty slot in slot 2.

EDIT: Wait what the gently caress your stuff is backwards in the game controller window, I completely missed that.

I don't think that poo poo matters as long as it's in the right order in JoyIDs

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 16, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
DCS sounds good, so does IL-2.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya if I do IL-2 its gonna be the old one that's currently 4 bux on Steam.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Steam version is now fully patched including the TD patches that were unofficial until recently.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ohsh and ease were having so much fun chasing me in the A-10 that I caved and bought it. Holy poo poo is it ever a ton of fun.

It also made me remember how fun combat as can be when its less system management and more seat of your pants flying.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A rough field in modern times means either freshly graded and compacted gravel or a stretch of Soviet / Canadian highway that hasn't seen a road crew in the past 5 years.

:siren: I'm going to host a flight sim thing today at 5 PM EST :siren:

To be honest I'm not 100% sure what we'll do, it's a toss up between FSX bush planes in northern Canada (enjoy navigating using stop watches and maps, we'll be doing this 1940s style, no fuckin GPS) DCS or dogpiling an IL-2 BoS server.

For FSX It's best you guys get your VATSIM accounts set up. It's seriously easy, especially with the vpilot client. With that client it's actually about as easy to get on VATSIM as it is downloading Mumble and getting connected to a server.

I'm open to suggestions to narrow down what we do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Smithsonian channel.

The Smithsonian channel.

An organization that oversees one of the most impressive and broadest collections of historically significant items on the planet who have tons of resources to draw on in order to discuss pretty much any subject matter.

And they do some lovely 'cater to the retards' era Discovery channel bullshit about a helicopter fighting a dragon.

Neat.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
And by neat I mean man that was retarded.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It could also be that the DCS devs have a little inside knowledge about the fact that air to air missiles are a lot more lovely than the MIC suits trying to justify paying up to a half a million bux a pop are letting on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"This heat seeking missile performs admirably!' *tests missile on a target literally covered in hot plates*

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Watch 'The Pentagon Wars' it's a movie about the development of the Bradley IFV and it's hilarious.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wh1plash posted:

gently caress dcs needs to get to falcons campaign level . cant get settings to save, cant loving get keybinds to work right... loving irritated at rehashed antiquated poo poo.

edit: sorry, bit frustrated setting up binds/keys for 3 hrs to get it launched and half the poo poo doesnt work, throttle isnt responding, etc

No kidding. The only thing BMS has going for it is the campaign.

I'd pay a hundred bucks for a campaign engine module for DCS that offered something close to that level.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
In Vietnam people bitched about how the more guns people mounted on the support gunships, the more vulnerable the squads they were supporting got because suddenly the relatively clean transport helos had to slow down so the fat as gently caress gunships could keep pace.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 15, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Would I play a game based on fictional stuff with system fidelity like DCS with clickable cockpits and stuff?

Hell no.

Would I play something like Crimson Skies but with a level of realism akin to Battle of Stalingrad?

gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo a P-38 for DCS would own bones.