Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Is the game's performance still abysmal regardless of how much hardware you throw at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I stopped playing this a few years ago because the game performed like poo poo no matter how much computer I threw at it, but you folks are making it so tempting. Going to see how it runs and if I still remember how to make a Blackshark dance. I assume the DCS World distributed by Steam is identical to the one available directly from ED? Can never know for sure with this company.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 20, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Fredrik1 posted:

THIS, holy poo poo this, I think everyone who ever played BS probably played for a long time not knowing about this.

If you have a decent joystick you should do what I have done and just map the 'f' key to the axis of your throttle, I have a Hotas Cougar (if anyone want the script) but it should work with any other joystick worth it's name I think.

I would also like to get into falcon, I've played it a little a long time ago but not enough to be even remotely competent.

I've always kept the altitude channel turned off.

Falcon 4's major selling point is the dynamic campaign engine. Nothing has ever compared to it. You're not Cpt. Hulk "America!" Hugechin taking on the entire DPRK on your own, you're just another pilot in the middle of a huge war doing his job. BMS is a great mod that has done amazing things with the game.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Mederlock posted:

Is the F-16 a hog on fuel with a small tank to boot like the MiG-29?

Yep. You'll hardly ever find an F-16 flying a real mission without a pair of tanks under the wings and they still need to refuel constantly. In Falcon 4 BMS they overhauled the fuel system to more accurately simulate real life and you'll get a nervous tick from constantly checking the fuel gauge. Pretty much all the non-Korean campaigns will require aerial refueling to and from the target due to how large the map is, so get real good at it.

Finally got around to reinstalling DCS. Now I get to configure my controls and sort out my ghetto TrackIR setup again. Not going to buy the Flaming Cliffs pack until it goes on sale but still have the A-10C, Shark and SU-25 to play around in.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 31, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
From the BMS forums themselves. There's a whole bunch of them in varying states of development. Just be careful on their forums, its a very insular, spergy community.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 31, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
In Falcon 4 the Mig-29 is one of the most lethal threats you'll go up against if you're flying Vipers. They carry missiles that are comparable to your own and can turn with you if it becomes a dogfight. When you see a <29> appear on your RWR forget whatever you're doing and kill them... with AMRAAMs. If you don't have any left run away and call for fighter backup from AWACS. Mig-29s are only ever tasked with the Fighter Sweep mission so their goal is to go after anything that can fire a missile and Vipers are near the top of the list. The DPRK only has a single squadron of them and you won't see anymore until a certain even happens in the campaign.

Also when doing SEAD taking out the radar will knock out a SAM site for a few hours at best. The campaign simulates replenishment and SAM sites are assumed to have multiple radars available in hardened bunkers as back up. Wiping the whole site out can knock it out of the fight for the duration of the campaign.

BARCAPs are worthless for the most part. The DMZ is blanketed in Patriot sites and those things are airplane murdering machines. The only limitation to a Patriot killing everything Red in the sky is ammo. In the original campaign there were no Patriots and the Nike sites were hilariously inept. It does look cool to see the Patriots doing there thing though. Once the DPRK starts sending strike missions at you, everytime you fly by a Patriot you'll see long streamers of rocket gas flying out of them at all angles as they kill with impunity. At the start of the campaign you're going to lose most of your assets that are near the DMZ simply because they're in range of the massive number of D-30 Howitzer sites that the DPRK has dotted all along the DMZ. If you fly at night, all those flashes and fires you see along the border are the work of those guys. Dropping a CBU-87 on to a D-30 is a hilarious way to pad your score.

Edit: Looks like the rudder pot on my X-52 is finally dead. Can't get it to stop spiking no matter what I do and it doesn't want to register left twists. Probably a good reason to finally get pedals.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 31, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Ask to have the thread renamed to "Modern Flight Sims: They're called Missiles, not Hittles".

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I had forgotten how ridiculous the install process for BMS was. Never understood why they don't make a single installer for each version, broadband is a thing that exists now. And installing the updates over the existing installer is just odd.

And the BMS installer only needs to find the executable for a game that was released 16 years ago and can no longer be purchased anywhere... *cough*

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 1, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Turn your lights off when pushing on your CAP waypoints. It increased your chances of being tallied by fighters and ground defenses.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The Dynamic campaign is what makes it. You're not playing around in a static mission area, you're in the middle of a full scale war happening all the time.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
There's nothing stopping you from using other airframes in BMS. The only problem is that they'll use the F-16 cockpit if they don't have one available even the cockpit makes no sense. All planes end up using the F-16's avionics to a certain degree (Every aircraft has the F-16's radar and RWR, even if they don't have radars and RWRs). On top of that most aircraft use simplified flight models that look pretty convincing when you're dog fighting them but feel like poo poo when you're in the pit. The F-18, for example, feels really floaty and will turn way better than it normally should at all speeds rather than just low speeds. The aircraft carriers do work though; no carrier ops but you can take off with the catapult and land with a wire trap.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oddly enough he banked away, I decided to turn after him (nevermind I don't really know how to do much more than lock a dude) and suddenly BANG, BANG. I panic a bit and resume running away. After a bit, I realize I can't engage the autopilot to go to Vahakyla's steer point. He tells me where to check the caution panel and I have an FLCS Fault.

Assuming you didn't get shot at, you may have over-G'd your airframe. If you pull to many Gs with heavier (anything that isn't an A-A missile) ordinance under your wings you're limited to a max of 5Gs. Normally the Flight Control System will try to restrict you from going over that but it can be overridden if you flip the CATI/III switch or hit the FLCS OVRD button. The FLCS also understands that sometimes you need to friggen turn, right the hell now, and won't be able to compensate for overly aggressive turning, so stuff on your airplane gets broken.

Its actually a good idea to figure out where the CATI/III switch is because you're going to want to flip it after you've dropped your bombs or jettisoned ordinance in order to get your Viper's full performance back and start making your pilot black out.

CAT-I = AA Missiles or a naked bird. Dogfighting, aerobatics and pissing off your F-16 because it has a shaved monkey in it restricting it to merely 9Gs.
CAT-III = Anything heavier than AA Missiles. Restricted to 5.5G so your don't break the wings off while carrying GBU-24s.

The campaign engine doesn't seem to be aware of the effects of over-G so if you do it by mistake it won't leave your squadron with a bent bird in the hangar but it can make it more interesting to fly for the duration of your mission.

I've got my ghetto FaceTrackNoIR with point lights setup working again and its slick. I'll make a post about it later. Unfortunately Madcats/Saitek has changed their x52 drivers again and my old profiles no longer work so I'll have to rebuild those. Also can't seem to turn off the annoying LEDs and MFD blue lights.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Vahakyla posted:

Use windows control panel to adjust lights.

You only need the profiler, the drivers are automatic.

Yeah the control panel settings for the lights outright aren't working. The sliders have no effect.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Stick a slammer up those MIG-23s' asses. There's nothing stopping you from using an AMRAAM at point blank range against relatively pokey targets like those Mig-23s. The AMRAAM will go active right off the rail and can turn like a bat out of hell when its rocket motor is still burning.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Try doing a Durandal run at night. You can't see most of the stuff being shot at you during the day. At night you'll notice you're not really flying through air so much as bullets with some air in between.

Usually in Falcon 4 its really not a great idea to ever go below 18k feet unless you want to have some suicidal fun on purpose. North Korea's long range air defenses are crap with the SA-2 being the bulk of their SAMs, but they have an unbelievable amount of AAA systems in every range category. There's also an ton of MANPADs. On top of that below 4k feet or so you've also got every starving conscript firing their AK-47 at you. Taking down an F-16 with their "Tool of the Revolution" is a sure way to get a medal and a real meal.

Once the campaign gets in to the night time things will get very real.

Edit: Ooh a night mission.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I think BMS lets you load a targeting pod even if you have no GBUs loaded. It has an Air to Air mode that you can use to find wingmen in the night or even ID enemy aircraft at long range. It can be automatically slewed to radar contacts. Sort of like a poor man's IRST.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Zuh? Are you going to be using Teamspeak and the Teamspeak BMS server magic thing they did to give real in game radio comms?

^^ Yeah. COMM1 is UHF and COMM2 is VHF I believe. The nice thing about having the wrong radio frequencies tuned is not having to listen to that annoying guy in the tower admonishing you for landing seconds ahead of a C-7.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 4, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That and it needs Teamspeak which is pretty poo poo compared to mumble.

Finally got everything sorted out on my end so I'll likely be able to join you bros tomorrow night. Went with the X52 config located here which works brilliantly. Still need to work on a post showing poor goons how to get head tracking for next to nothing... if you're handy.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Burno posted:

Everything you need is already with BMS just a matter of binding some keys and enabling it when you connect to the server.

Oh right, I'd forgotten the BMS team somehow managed to get the Teamspeak guys to give them a "no questions asked" license to embed teamspeak into the game and create their IVC Client/Server.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

maxe posted:

one of my very first flights in A10 i managed to do this;

with the throttle maxed the plane pretty much stayed in the air until i got bored

But did you land it back at base and end up on CNN?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Holyshit the TrackIR is Expensive!

Yeah it is but its also the best, pretty much only, device out there for nearly painless heading tracking on your PC. On top of that the TrackIR's developers, Natural-Point, are a bunch of assholes if that sort of thing matters to you. If you've got the scratch and want a head tracking solution that will work out of the box get a TrackIR, its a pretty good product.

Thankfully head tracking is not some weird voodoo magic and can be done using homemade electronics and some open-source software for a lot less than a TrackIR will cost you. As an example, a TrackIR 5 costs about $220 CAD for the whole bundle, my current setup costed me fifteen bucks and looks like this:

A PS3 Eye camera I got from EBay for two dollars. The gouged up plastic on it is a result of prying it open with a knife to remove the IR filter, a process that is likely unnecessary with the LEDs recommended below; they're insanely bright. The dust on the monitor is essential to device operation.

A three point LED rig I made from a coat hangar, electronic components and velcro for about thirteen dollars. From what I can tell its a shitload sturdier and lighter than the TrackClip Pro that comes with a TrackIR bundle.

Mounted to my headset with a velcro tab for easy removal and adjustment. That black bundle of heatshrink on the back contains the PTC fuse and resistor and just hangs there because, gently caress it who cares.

This is what the Webcam sees.

This is what the game does.

What do I Need?

You're going to need to like tinkering and knowing how to solder would be really useful. You're goons who like flight sims so you probably have a soldering iron somewhere and like the smell of flux.

• A webcam of some sort: Preferably one with a high frame rate. Frame rate is more important than resolution. The PS3 Eye is pretty much the perfect camera for this given its ability to do 60FPS at 640x480. You can get them for nearly nothing on Amazon. Even cheaper on auction sites or even free if you know someone with a PS3.
  • Three wide angle IR LEDs: The OSRAM SFH485P is the ideal IR LED for this sort of setup. It has a wide view angle and is insanely bright. So bright you'll need to put a resistor on them.
  • A Resistor: Nearly anything that can do 6.8 to 10 omh will do the job. Higher resistances will make for dimmer LEDs. I used these 6.8 omh doohickeys.
  • A Fuse: You don't really need this. I put it in the circuit because I'm powering my device from a USB cable hooked up to my PC and I don't want to kill my motherboard if I decide to stick the 3-Point rig into a wall socket because I've spontaneously gone retarded. There's no reason not to put one in for safeties sake. This MF-R010 FUSE works fine.
  • Wire & Power: A single USB cable contains exactly enough wire in convenient colors. Stripping the shielding off gives you access to two redundant wires you can use for your rig and makes it very light; the shielding is completely unnecessary in this scenario. A USB port provides the perfect 5V power source needed for the rig and just happens to be compatible with the USB cable you just gutted, how about that. I imagine you can find a USB cable of an adequate length without any difficulty.
  • Visible light blocking medium: This whole setup works on IR light not visible light. Visible light will mess things up and confuse the tracker software so you need to get rid of it. You need a material that is transparent in the IR spectrum but opaque in the visible spectrum. Two good materials for this are floppy disk magnetic tape, the black spinny bit inside the disk, and is probably the best thing to use. Camera film that has been developed without ever being exposed also works fine though the photo developer guys will probably look at you weird if you buy a roll of film and immediately hand it over for processing. All you have to do it cut out a bit and tape it over your webcam's aperture. I modified my PS3 Eye so the floppy disk tape is inside.
  • Something to mount all this to: So a wire coat hangar. Or anything really, there's a ton of these all over the net.
  • Something to mount it to your headset: Velcro works great. An elastic band also works. You could even duct tape it to the side of your face.

How do I put it together

Now you get to start burning your fingers and huffing carcinogenic fumes. Wire up the LEDs and other bits following this diagram. Remember that the red and black wires are the five volt source and ground respectively in a USB port so don't cut those off if you're using USB power:

Current flow direction matters with LEDs so make sure you wire them up right, ask a nerd for help if you need it!

As for your rig there's shitloads of examples all over so do whatever you want. Coat hangar wire is stiff, light and rigid enough to not flex when you turn your head. The dimensions of your rig aren't all that important as long as you make sure no light ends up coplanar with another, whatever that means... just do something like this:

Record the dimensions of your rig, you're going to need them for very important math reasons.

I didn't Burn my Home Down, Now What?

I'm going to assume you used a PS3 Eye camera. If you didn't some of this won't apply but I'm sure you can figure out how to use your own webcam. For the PS3 Eye you'll need a driver which you can get from Code Laboratories. Its the green button. Installation is painless and it uses a DirectShow filter to do all its stuff so it should "just work" with any cam software you like... if you wanted to use the PS3 Eye as a regular webcam (which it does very well assuming you didn't rip out the IR filter and install a piece of floppy disk inside it).

You need to mount your webcam in a place where it will be able to see the LEDs of your rig relatively clearly. And it needs to happen in a way that won't cause the LEDs to end up overlapping in the view field or things won't work. So mount your rig to the side of your head how ever you like and make sure the LEDs are mostly facing forward, they don't need to be perfect, and start dicking with your camera. I'm going to steal Natural-Points graphic to demonstrate.

Sit comfortably in the position you would normally sit in while playing. Mount the webcam so that it will be inline with your camera. Tilt the camera up or down until the center LED on your rig is about in the middle of the display. You should probably have your camera on and recording or something while you do this. Hope you remembered to use some manner of visible light blocking medium.

Next you should turn off your webcam's automatic exposure & gain control. How you do this will depend on the cam you're using. This is not strictly necessary but makes it easier for the tracking software we'll be using to distinguish the IR points. For the PS3 Eye open up the CL-Eye Test app that came with the driver and select Options->Video Capture Filter in the menu. You want to tweak the settings until the IR points in the display have nice solid borders. In my case gain is all the way down and exposure is all the way; I also have no IR Filter in my camera so my settings will be different from someone who didn't do amateur surgery on their camera. This setting will persist in the tracking software after you close the test app. If you're not using a PS3 Eye, you're on your own, read the manual.

Pretty good

You will not be tracking your head today.

When do we get to the Tracking?

Don't use FreetrackNoIR anymore. It looks like no one is really working on it and the new Opentrack has a much more effective filter (Accela Filter Mk4). Windows binaries are under that code tree. Use the Freetrack Protocol and Point Tracker as your main input. Here's my current profile if you want a starting point.

Now. I use a piece of software called FaceTrackNoIR. Download the current version and the update. It supports a ridiculous number of communication protocols for nearly any game you would like, including built in TrackIR emulation because Natural-Point thinks including the encryption key in their encryption protocol is a smart way to obfuscate their device's communication protocol. It also supports several forms of head tracking including a neat face tracker which only works in absolutely ideal lighting conditions (try it you might like it), Gyro/Accelerometer gizmos and IR LED tracking. We'll be using that last one. The point tracker plugin requires a webcam that uses a DirectShow filter to output frames which should be all of them, including the PS3 Eye. You'll also notice the incredible number of options which we'll mostly ignore.

Download this profile. Save that somewhere that isn't in your Program Files folders that FaceTrackNoIR gets installed to by default. Load that profile and you should see a screen like this:

This is my profile for Falcon 4 and can be easily adapted for other games. It has three point tracking and TrackIR emulation setup.

Open the Tracker Source (1st = Master) settings, go to the camera page and make sure you're using 60 FPS and 640x480 resolution. This may not apply to other webcams. Flip to the model page and enter the dimensions of your rig, this part is very important. Finally you need to tell Facetrack how far your rig is mounted from the center of your head. You can measure your head if you like but its far easier to just hit the calibrate button. Try to only rotate your head without moving it side to side or up and down. When those numbers seem stable enough hit the calibrate button again and you're done.

You're pretty much set and ready to go. Hit the Start button and congrats you're head tracking for nearly free. Load up Falcon 4 and it should "just work". You may need to enable head tracking in the in game setup. My profile has Track Recentering bound to ALT-Home and track pausing bound to ALT-End. You can change those to whatever you like. My profile is also very "sporty". The accela-filter is set to have very little delay which gives a fast response in game. You can change that by increasing the "Reduction Factor" slider in the Filter Settings. You also modify the curves and so forth just like you would in TrackIR.

Its a lot of work to setup but once you get all that hurf blurf done the only thing you need to do in the future is calibrate before you start playing.

I'll include gotchas and such as I remember them below.

Gotchas!

Camera can't see LEDs!: Your webcam may have an overly aggressive IR Filter installed. All webcams have an IR Filter because the light sensors in them are very sensitive to IR and normally you don't want your photos glowing with eerie light or the veins in your subject's face showing through. Either try another webcam or pop yours open and remove the IR filter. How you do this depends on the model but search google for "WEBCAM MODEL ir filter" will probably have some info. Note that removing the IR filter will almost certainly render cam useless for anything but head tracking. In many cams the filter also acts as a focusing lens and the image will now be blurry. The filter in the PS3 Eye is very easy to remove once you figure out how to open the casing.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Still not done with that post. Hit Post instead of Preview by mistake. Lots more coming.

The TrackIR's protocol encryption was hilarious. Took nerds less than a day to crack it and come up with a pass through DLL that would fool games into thinking any tracking source was a TrackIR.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You might need to turn up the volume of the actual radios in the cockpit. Lower right side, next to the throttle. COMM1 and COMM2. Though they should already be turned up if you didn't RAMP start. You might also not be tuned into any useful radio frequencies. BMS added rather realistic radio frequency handling and you won't hear squat unless you're tuned to a freq other folks are using. Read the manual, its... extensive.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Eagle Dynamics development process and interaction with other services has a lot in common with throwing a stack off dishes down the stairs. They are a government contractor after all.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've been playing Falcon 4 since it was released but tonight was my first time ever playing multiplayer. Even with technical issues it was quite a lot of fun. The brief dogfight we had while sorting things out was pretty fun, even with some rear end in a top hat AI in an F-22 basically playing on god mode.

Leading a flight of human players is very different from playing solo. The AI usually goes out of its way to cling to their flight position, but people can think for themselves! Its actually pretty stressful having to pay attention to the mission and your herd of kittens and everything trying to kill you and comms with the package lead and... and... The datalink helps tremendously and I'll be going over the manual on it a few times to get its functionality down perfect. Even with our confused use of it the situational awareness it offered was great.

Weasel 8 blew the poo poo out of Oigjin Airport's runway with 11 out of 12 Durandals hitting the target then went and downed a pair of Mig-19s and a pair of Mig-29s. Then we intermingled with another pair of Mig-29s that didn't seem to have noticed us and we had difficulty spotting them. Finally got eyes on them just as the server went down for the evening.

Note to newbies coming into this game. Falcon 4 is a study sim. That means its meant to offer a very detailed model of what its like to fly an F-16 and use it in a dense combat environment. Its not like DCS where each mission is a pretty sterile predefined affair. The dynamic campaign in Falcon 4 is pure chaos and you're just one pilot working in the middle of a large war going on all around you. The F-16 is an easy aircraft to fly from a stick and throttle point of view but to survive in a warzone you need to be aware of its sensors and computer systems. Take the time to read the manual and particularly go over the communications, navigation and fire control system. You need to know how to use the radios, and talk with them at the very least or you're going to be completely lost. Don't be daunted by the amount of information, its almost all "do it once and you got it" type stuff.

Aside from server technical issues the IVC system works remarkably well. Check two boxes when joining the server then your aircraft's radios work exactly as they would in real life and give you real time voice communications. Its neat and shockingly functional given it was meant to be a grognard feature.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've always said Shiv-all, but sort of squish it together like it was one syllable.

In Falcon 4 if you see an SU-27 on your RWR you're probably better off asking your wingman to tell your wife you love her rather than call it out because there's likely already an R-77 flying towards you and in a moment you'll here the pip, pip, pip sound of its active seeker, then there will be fire. The R-77 is the Russian AMRAAM. Only it has better range and speed. Like the AMRAAM it gives no fucks for chaff, it homes in on your jammer and it attacks from a top down direction that makes it nearly impossible to dodge. Its the Vladimir Putin of missile.

In the campaign SU-27s came into the fight when China throws in with the DPRK. I hope they've fixed the issue with SU-27s and Mig-29s having the same RADAR and hence the same RWR symbol. A Mig-29 is manageable, an SU-27 is the end of your flight.

Edit: Looking at the game's weapon database, the R-77 and AIM-120 use nearly identical stats. The game thankfully doesn't model the IR version of the R-77 which does everything the radar version does except give you a ten second warning that you're about to be an explosion.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 5, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Program 5 on my EWS is usually set to dump 5 flares in half a second and repeat that another second later specifically for IR A-A missiles. Never seems to work, but sure makes my death look pretty. Flares are generally effective against MANPADs at least.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Lee Outrageous posted:

I just want to point out that one of the big limiting factors to a head tracking setup like you describe is the viewing angle on LEDs can be fairly limited unless you get some pretty specialized ones. It would be better to just attach the LEDs to your camera so that they face you, and then make a couple targets with retroreflective tape on them.

Yep that's why I recommend the OSRAM SFH485P. Its several times more expensive than a typical LED but has a wide view angle and are ridiculously bright, so even if you go out of view angle you'll still likely be able to track off the IR light bleed. Using IR LEDs and filtering out the visible spectrum also helps tremendously.

GoldenNugget posted:

You can either up the amperage or use wax paper or something to cause the IR light to scatter more. I read you can also scratch up the flat surface and it'll also work quite well.

Turns out that baked Fimo is a really good IR refractor and you can stick tiny balls of it to the end of a bright IR LED to act as a glow orb.

Read up on datalink usage and it turns out I was accidentally using it correctly last night. Bug a target and hit IFF OUT/CommSwitchLeft and it transmits the bugged target position and altitude to everyone on the DLink net. Pressing the numbers 1-4 on the right side of the FCR let's you assign targets to individual flight members as well as indicating the target that you're taking yourself.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Doing air to air refueling is the most frustrating thing in the Viper. The plane is so responsive you need to handle the stick with a feather or you're going to PIO all over the place. I've had to discipline the tanker three times now with my guns over its inability to stay still in my HUD.

(It spoofed two of my sidewiders somehow...)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Lee Outrageous posted:

This doesn't actually work all that well, I tried it with extremely fine grit sand paper and it was just worse overall than a regular LED. What I found is that with domed LEDs You can get about an 80 degree viewing angle from your run of the mill 5-10 degree by grinding off the dome and then polishing it until it is clear again. Another thing that helps is to put a chamfer on the outer edge, albeit a very small one. Though even then I still had issues with the camera being able to pick up the LED over the background (bear in mind I don't yet have a good visible light filter yet) so it was losing track of them at about 30 degrees.

People have apparently had really good results with the Fimo clay though.

Or just use the OSFRAM IR LEDs that already have flat chamfered surfaces and a wide view angle to begin with.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

How is BMS in terms of performance? My PC can run DCS on mostly high settings. I know the graphics aren't as fancy with Falcon but how does the dynamic campaign and all those AI flights affect performance? Does Falcon actually simulate all the flights in real time? Or just generate them within a certain radius of your plane? Are you able to interact with allied AI flights, i.e. call for help from friendly CAP?

Falcon uses a concept of bubbles. AI within your bubble get fully simulated and those outside of it use a simplified mathematical probability simulation. You can easily interact with flights within your own package and you can use the AWACS to call for help if one is available. The AI also does this. Getting into a fight with a flight of hostile aircraft is a good way to get more of them coming your way. Ground forces also work this way. The campaign also simulates supply levels; taking out supply centers and factories and such will reduce the rate that units replenish. Air Defense systems also simulate an Integrated Air Defense System (IADS). SAMS, AAA and CAP talk to each other and work together to kill you. Taking out sensors in that network make the AI less effective and you can destroy command and control centers to make them even less effective.

BMS should run flawlessly on any modern system. If you can run DCS without issues you've got way more horsepower than you need.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Knivbjorn posted:

I want to try to join you guys in the online campaign tomorrow but I have the Battle for Balkans and Israel theatres installed. Will they cause any issues in multiplayer?

That won't cause any problems. You may need to switch back to the Korean theater on the theater screen though.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

cormac posted:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125452

Modules bought direct from ED will no longer activate on steam.

All this really does is not give you a convenient window to copy/paste your keys out of when launching a module for the first time.

DCS World doesn't actually use Steam in anyway to verify your ownership of a module. Its all handle inside of DCS World by talking to ED's authentication servers. It doesn't matter whether you got your keys from Steam or from ED directly they're the same keys. Steam just gives you an easy fast way to download DCS World and a little box with your keys.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 8, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
It really is amazing how retarded they are when it comes to selling their product. It seems to be something common with grognard games. Rise of Flight and Jutland both had incredibly invasive copy protection prior to going to Steam and Steal Beasts Pro requires you to have a USB Dongle!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Dandywalken posted:

Fair enough, will DL the non-steam DCS World then switch my keys over to that instead. In theory, this should mean I'm good to go?

Gonna have to swap my graphics and control poo poo too I imagine.

That will accomplish nothing. There is no difference between the non-steam and steam version. Its exactly the same software. The keys that you have on Steam right now are the same keys you would have gotten from ED anyway if you had bought directly from them. Literally all this does is not give you a nice little box in steam you can copy and paste your keys from.

DCS World itself handles all the key authentication from inside the game so it doesn't matter which version you use or where you get the keys from. Steam just made it simple to purchase a key for a module, its the same key ED would give you if you purchase a module from them. It doesn't really make any sense that ED would stop Steam from authenticating a key you already purchased from ED since all it was doing was putting that key in the little Game Keys box that pops up when you click it.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Hadlock posted:

Still sitting on my copy of Black Shark 1, why they just couldn't not be cunts and upgrade me to the "2" version (I mean, really?) at no cost? It's the only DCS product that doesn't work with DCS world, thanks guys

:iiam:

Blackshark 2 was a pretty hilarious scam. All the changes they made between BS1 and BS2 would have been patches for any other company.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Thankfully there's no reason to download DCS World from ED.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I don't get it. Modules are not separate pieces of software. They're just a serial number that tells DCS World that you're allowed to sit in the cockpit of a particular aircraft. All those "modules" are already built into DCS World. When you buy a module on Steam you're getting the same serial number you would have gotten from ED. Just its conveniently stored in your Steam account rather than whatever text file you saved it in on your PC. DCS World does not actually use Steam for anything.

ED telling Steam to beat it really makes no sense at all. The only thing it does is prevent you from having the keys from all your modules show up here:

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 8, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Edge will come out whenever the funding from military contracts runs out and ED needs a top up. I imagine we'll see "DCS A10C 2" at the same time with slightly higher resolution cockpit textures for full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Baloogan posted:

Also check out tacview! It can replay your falcon recorder files!

This is sweet.