Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah those are really neat! I used a few of them inbetween trips to the dungeon in my Stone Thief days, they slot in very nicely and you can even just take individual encounters from them.

Small caveat: check the encounter math. We hit a few very frustrating ones that turned out to be tuned way too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

not a thing from the playtest, but thinking about the playtest setup gave me a brainwave of a hypothetical setup where sorcerers and wizards get the same amount of spell slots, but wizard spells are in the vast majority Dailies and sorcerers get mainly at-wills and rechargables, in order to mimic the old D&D tradition of carefully prepared loadout vs. sling spells all day. Feel like that might be a fun idea to tinker with.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
digging into playtest docs. one of the downsides is that the math is changed just enough I don't think I'd be able to use Roll20s 13th Age character sheets to run it. I guess I could make custom melee and ranged attack options to handle the higher weapon dice at higher levels, but things like the fighters balance allowing you to often roll 2 d20s take highest to attack is going to get really clunky in play.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd really prefer a 1e > 2e monster stat conversion document even if it's more work for a DM. That math don't sit right with me and it's for entirely irrational reasons.

for that matter, are the 13 True Ways classes gonna get 2e updates?

e: I also feel like once you roll, say, 6-8 dice, you're gonna be at a point where each further die you add just adds its average value for all intents and purposes, and could probably arrive at a similar result by just further increasing the multiplier on ability score mods instead.

e2: very quick anydice calcs:
10d8 is gonna net a result very roughly "between 30 and 60".
16d8 is "between 55 and 90".
10d8+30 is also "between 60 and 90" and 30 is around the range of anyone's highest ability mod x5 or x6. You could just go hog wild and instead of "ability mod x4" have "ability mod x6, x8, x10". Feels like you could probably go super hog wild and make the formula "[1dx + ability mod] per level".

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 12, 2022

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

for that matter, are the 13 True Ways classes gonna get 2e updates?

I think Rob answered that on the Iconic podcast, but I’d have to go back and listen.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

My Lovely Horse posted:

e2: very quick anydice calcs:
10d8 is gonna net a result very roughly "between 30 and 60".
16d8 is "between 55 and 90".
10d8+30 is also "between 60 and 90" and 30 is around the range of anyone's highest ability mod x5 or x6. You could just go hog wild and instead of "ability mod x4" have "ability mod x6, x8, x10". Feels like you could probably go super hog wild and make the formula "[1dx + ability mod] per level".

not sure why this is spoilered, but yeah that system was a side bar idea in 1e to make high level play easier, which is absolutely what we did in person. roll20 virtual dice is incredible at high level though. whole screen fills with dice

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't want people to go into the playtest already with a different idea in their heads, I guess :shobon:

I can't find that side bar

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can't find that side bar

oh sorry, not a sidebar. on page 160

the only real problem is that the Commander isn't nearly as fun if everyone is rolling averages. way more swingy than an almost always guaranteed improvement if you play it safe

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

oh sorry, not a sidebar. on page 160

the only real problem is that the Commander isn't nearly as fun if everyone is rolling averages. way more swingy than an almost always guaranteed improvement if you play it safe

Why not just let the player decide what they want to roll? If someone maths it out to slightly work in their favor, just let 'em.

Iron Heart
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Why not just let the player decide what they want to roll? If someone maths it out to slightly work in their favor, just let 'em.

If you read the passage, you'll see that it agrees with you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh that passage. I thought you meant there was one that offered higher numbers.

Which that's my point about the new math: it adds more dice and slightly increases the multiplier for the ability mod, when it could also keep the same number of dice and increase the multiplier even more instead, and keep the simple "one per level" system which is easier to explain and memorize.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Playtest note - Halfling is the new pro tier barbarian due to the save bonuses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not gonna lie, the predominant feeling I'm starting to get is that somebody's hard at work turning 13th Age into another The Wizard Game, and even just the idea of that kinda turns me off it entirely.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I just got the Playtest Feedback Process email from Rob, which also says he's aiming to send out the bard, rogue, and sorcerer playtest classes around mid-January.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We're implementing 2e's changes where possible into our ongoing campaign.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I bought the Bundle of Holding and now got into the Playtest.

Time to rediscover this game!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Has anybody run Eyes of the Stone Thief with another system?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Worked pretty well with Fellowship. I can dig up some notes later this week, but the biggest thing I remember is that each part of the Stone Thief was its own community you could gain Fellowship with.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
running 3 to 4 5th level characters with modules out of the Battle Scenes series in Roll20 + Epic Isometric assets has just been loving wonderful. It's so... easy. I get why people stick with particular systems and editions their entire lives.

lots of using terrain/traps, shifting map keyed to the escalation die, lots of movement by everything, set piece show downs with a bard vs vrock upon a treasure chest on a rickety wooden tower, demon maw.... such a wonderful encounter

and like, this is the out of the book map for this battle scene

i'm just...

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
No ring

Could be a closeup I guess. But yeah that looks like a great program.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
there is just something about extreme perspective, Role20, and 13th Age combat that I can't get enough of

rescuing a Tower of Wizardry:

and zooming in on the first floor

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I'm working on the start of a new campaign. This is a continuation of my last 13th age game. In this one the players will be working with one Icon. A character from our last game became an icon, but doing so started a war.

The players are going to be a special forces strike unit for this icon. Using a magically tamed living dungeon as a mobile artillery and command platform the players will be running strategic assaults behind enemy lines. So, instead of icon dice I'm going with Ordnance. Players can prepare 3(at the start) different ordnance at the start of the mission. And call them in as needed. They will also be given the opportunity to upgrade their living dungeon, and discover new ordnance.

Tech is sort of higher in this than general 13th age. Guns are just becoming common. (A player is going to play test a custom gunslinger class I've been working on so that is exciting for me). Some kind of magitech is starting to make it's way into the world as well.

I could use any ideas anyone has for special units, equipment or artillery the players could call in. Things like dragon strikes or nightfire napalm.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Looks like kickstarter for the 2nd edition is coming this May 7th, according to the Pelgrane Press newsletter I just got.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i don't know how i feel about it. the mcdm kickstarter and game definitely eats a lot of its lunch

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I'm not sure either. I assume Jonathan Tweet is still involved, which isn't great. And a lot of the 2e Playtest stuff never got sent out, right? I didn't just miss it?

Given that, I'd expect a pretty long timeline before fulfillment. I like 13th Age a lot and didn't expect to be so lukewarm at the thought of 2e but neither aspect is exciting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm honestly kind of mad about how little I now care about 13th Age 2e after spending so long asking for it.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm mostly annoyed that my group stopped playing right as we started getting some of the playtest stuff in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sionak posted:

I'm not sure either. I assume Jonathan Tweet is still involved, which isn't great. And a lot of the 2e Playtest stuff never got sent out, right? I didn't just miss it?

Given that, I'd expect a pretty long timeline before fulfillment. I like 13th Age a lot and didn't expect to be so lukewarm at the thought of 2e but neither aspect is exciting.
I don't think we ever got the promised bard, rogue and sorcerer packets though also there seems to be playtesting going on in a secondary, smaller circle.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Huckabee Sting posted:

I could use any ideas anyone has for special units, equipment or artillery the players could call in. Things like dragon strikes or nightfire napalm.

I once ran Make Your Own Luck using different monsters for the attacking army, and the players had to deal with bat-riding goblin air cavalry (from Bestiary 1) bombing the city and sniping at them. That was a lot of fun.

Because I'm playing a lot of Destiny 2 right now I'm thinking about "we turned our enemy into a cool gun" concepts—for example, a prismatic ogre mage transformed into a cannon.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm honestly kind of mad about how little I now care about 13th Age 2e after spending so long asking for it.
I've played it enough now that the cracks in the system are very much apparent and I was hoping for 2e to fix some of them but the alpha playtest was pretty much just

- math fixes that inflate epic tier numbers even more and give me a feeling of clutter
- new fighter
- more options that for some reason seem to all be listed under the wizard heading and also be the kind of options you tell your players to skip if they're building characters from the SRD

I'm missing the kind of big innovation that marks the occasion of a second edition in RPG terms (it's well within the scope of a "new edition" in terms of e.g. science literature) and while I get the need to keep things backwards compatible from a business and publishing standpoint I think it keeps the system from progressing.

Since we're posting here again: I'm at around level 6 with my party and I've been noticing a trend. During the last 2-3 rest periods they've started to run out of HP and healing just about when any given encounter ended, and out of recoveries just about when they'd had 4-5 fights. Which sounds like the way it's supposed to go but this is without them ever needing to spend any daily powers. (With the exception of the wizard but his dailies are about the only way he has to influence a combat.) Kinda feels like we could just drop them from the equation altogether and have the same gaming experience.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The 13th Age 2E landing page is live! The preview PDF, which will go into more detail about what's being changed, is written but not laid out and will probably be ready to send around the end of the week unless they decide to send it out in its raw state. https://pelgranepress.com/13th-age-second-edition/

Disclosure: Pelgrane invited me as the former long-time 13th Age marketing person to review and edit the landing page copy and the preview doc.

I wasn't planning on immediately starting another 13A campaign after this one ends (I started it during the Escalation Edition days), but what I read about the changes made since the alpha playtest makes me consider going straight into 2E—maybe with a different take on the setting, like the Thundarr-style "Gamma Draconis" campaign I wrote about on the blog.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Clarified Icon rules sounds like a big one for me. The 13A games I ran and played in all ended up not knowing what to do with Icon stuff at times. I haven't run or played 13A in a while for a few reasons but that was one of the bigger ones.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
same, though something that helped for me was just putting it to my players. When they made an icon roll I asked them what they think that looked like. I felt like the players had a better handle on what their positive or negative relations to the icons meant, though that doesn't work for all players.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The Landing Page posted:

Also there’s an option for using icon connections in combat, but just because it exists doesn’t mean it’s the best option. . . .

Incredible to see Tweets returning influence so strongly on the landing page despite very pointedly never including a "jon says"

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

Clarified Icon rules sounds like a big one for me. The 13A games I ran and played in all ended up not knowing what to do with Icon stuff at times. I haven't run or played 13A in a while for a few reasons but that was one of the bigger ones.

Oh my god, just clarifying and icon mechanics will be such a huge improvement. It kills me a little inside when GMs say they don't use them at all, because the houseruled version I use has been such a powerful campaign tool for me and my players.

I haven't seen the beta playtest draft yet, but from what Rob said I suspect that the icon connections in 2E will work more like the rune mechanic in 13th Age Glorantha (which I like a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reviewing my notes on my Stone Thief game and I realized the party already has all the components they need for the binding ritual, but because they diligently avoided interacting with anything that wasn't their immediate (side) mission, they have no way of knowing. Let's see if they find out before they frivolously spend one of them for something else!