Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

GruntyThrst posted:

Do we have an official ruling on how Archmage is pronounced in the 13th Age?

Ark-mage. Pronouncing it Arch-mage is so 12th Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
So, how about that new playtest document, eh?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So, how about that new playtest document, eh?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I know why I don't have it.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I am enjoying this Chaos Mage.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Does anyone know if the new playtest doc will be made available to people who preordered the bestiary?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Someone was feeling a bit salty when they wrote the monk description!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Covok posted:

Edit: Nevermind. I think I know why I don't have it.

I don't, and I even ordered the bestiary to make sure. Neither order page is updated yet.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The preview is part of a KS project update, the Bestiary doesn't factor into it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

PantsOptional posted:

The preview is part of a KS project update, the Bestiary doesn't factor into it.

gently caress, the same thing happened with the Persona add on thing for TBZ; I missed the kickstarter and have no way to give them my money :negative:

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
The Occultist is a class I never knew I wanted but already know it's my favorite class in the game (and maybe any fantasy tabletop). Holy poo poo I wish I wasn't stuck as permanent GM.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

CaptCommy posted:

The Occultist is a class I never knew I wanted but already know it's my favorite class in the game (and maybe any fantasy tabletop). Holy poo poo I wish I wasn't stuck as permanent GM.

I expected a demon summoning class for some reason (probably the name) but even though that would've been awesome, I am very pleasantly surprised by the Occultist. This is a great concept (e: and much better than the thing I had in mind).

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 17, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

Does anyone know if the new playtest doc will be made available to people who preordered the bestiary?

I haven't heard that it won't be made available to Bestiary pre-order customers, but will check.

Dionysos510
Sep 10, 2012
Does this playtest packet take the place of the complete text pdf of 13 True Ways that Simon said would be out soon, or is that still happening?

And, oh yeah, I freaking love these classes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Solomonic posted:

I expected a demon summoning class for some reason (probably the name)

If memory serves, it was originally advertised in the KS stretch goals as the Diabolist parallel to the Necromancer so that's probably why. FWIW I think I like what we got better than that idea.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

PantsOptional posted:

FWIW I think I like what we got better than that idea.

It's so much better! Really I feel like the necromancer and the druid run the gamut on all kinds of summoning talents, and it'd be difficult to come up with more stuff to distinguish yet another summoning class. The occultist we're looking at is basically the definition of unique, in more ways than one. It's like having a constant plot hook as a member of your party. I love it.

Man this expansion will have been well worth the wait. I love these classes.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Bestiary pre-orderers will get the playtest packet on Monday!

Dionysos510 posted:

Does this playtest packet take the place of the complete text pdf of 13 True Ways that Simon said would be out soon, or is that still happening?

This is not a replacement for the complete text PDF. That's still going to happen.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So if the occultist isn't a necromancer tied to demons/devils instead of undead, what is the 30 second synopsis of the class?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

CaptainPsyko posted:

So if the occultist isn't a necromancer tied to demons/devils instead of undead, what is the 30 second synopsis of the class?

It's a dude who can bend and shape reality/time to his will. Entirely interrupt powers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Basically the Occultist spends his standard action to "focus" a spell, and then on other people's turns he spends the focus to cast interrupt spells on certain triggers (like an enemy missing, one of your party gets staggered, someone failing a save, etc.).

It's like the opposite of the warlord; instead of letting people take actions on his turn, the Occultist takes his actions on other people's turns.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basically the Occultist spends his standard action to "focus" a spell, and then on other people's turns he spends the focus to cast interrupt spells on certain triggers (like an enemy missing, one of your party gets staggered, someone failing a save, etc.).

It's like the opposite of the warlord; instead of letting people take actions on his turn, the Occultist takes his actions on other people's turns.

That is amazing. I need to finish off my campaign so that I can force one of my players to be an Occultist.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh god drat it, this is both good and bad news for me. Good, because it sounds fun to play (and I like the idea of the Occultist thematically).

It's bad because I was in the middle of coming up with custom Psion mechanics, and they basically revolved around having personal triggers on your own attacks (certain numbers, akin to bard talents) and more relavently, on enemy attacks as well.

Guess I'll just have to wait until Monday to see how much I managed to accidentally coincide with, because I am a lowly Bestiary peasant.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd like to amend a statement I made in the previous thread where I prematurely described the chaos mage as "kind of a utility spellcaster with the ability to emulate other casters". Having now seen the document, I can now describe the chaos mage, with confidence, as being "exactly what it says on the label".

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah we need more games so I can try it out, and the Necromancer, and maybe the Occultist.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This really makes me wish I hadn't completely forgotten to back the Kickstarter until it was too late, or had the money to preorder the Bestiary. Wanna see that Occultist and the bitter Monk paragraph super bad.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

-Fish- posted:

This really makes me wish I hadn't completely forgotten to back the Kickstarter until it was too late, or had the money to preorder the Bestiary. Wanna see that Occultist and the bitter Monk paragraph super bad.

quote:

Monk: Fun for people who want to jump around and fight with a blend of old time monk abilities and Hong Kong action movie style.
Unlike the druid, the monk isn’t designed with an eye toward pleasing multiple F20 demographics.

I assume this still means "is designed with an eye towards pleasing people who don't want to play a monk"?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How is the monk in the current playtest? That's the class I'm still worried they might screw up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ProfessorCirno posted:

Someone was feeling a bit salty when they wrote the monk description!

Hahaha, yeah and I don't even understand what they mean by it. Like, is it being designed for people who want to play monk or for people who don't want to? What is even the loving point.

Covok posted:

How is the monk in the current playtest? That's the class I'm still worried they might screw up.

Working, but held back by dumb legacy mechanics that have been added to him to make him more like his 3.X/d20 counter-part for no reason but to 'preserve the class's d20 legacy'.

Well, that's what the last playtest packet was, no idea if it's changed at all.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Monk still seems to be a damage class that does ok-ish damage and a melee class that has eh defense and thus falls behind most of the other melee classes.

Like, it's still d6 -> d8 -> d10 and AC 12 -> 13 -> 14 (compared to fighter who does straight d10 at AC15 all the time, or barbarian who has AC12 but does d10+d6 per level, or rogue who has likewise as AC12 but is doing d8+d6e) as it goes through it's forms, and the actual form abilities tend to be eh ("one baddy pops free!" compared to Fighter's "Eh, just attack dude dudes, like half the time, you know, with your d10"). I guess in theory it makes up for this with it's ~*~cool monk special abilities~*~ but those abilities tend to pale in comparison to the aforementioned rogue who's also doing more damage. Honestly it all reads like someone desperately trying to prove the 3.x monk was good at it's heart and no, you're wrong, you are objectively wrong, nobody liked the 3.x monk, nobody. It was a bad class. It was a bad class, stop trying to copy it.

I mean, yeah, it's not for ALL d20 players, but it'd be cool if it was for a d20 player that wasn't Tweet. Because just like the 3.x monk, this one does nothing that other classes don't do better.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 18, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
...Leaving that subject for now...

Has anyone here played a Stalwart? How does it stack against Fighter or Barbarian?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Has anyone here played a Stalwart? How does it stack against Fighter or Barbarian?

Episode 38 of Ironicus's LP used fan classes including the Stalwart. It seemed pretty cool.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Stalwart was neat but I didn't get that far into it before our campaign came to an end.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I played one for a bit and they're actually a little too strong. They're more consistent across encounters and tougher than a Barbarian and have more control over the use of their abilities as well as do more damage than a Fighter.

They're incredibly fun to play, though, and their moves are ridiculous in the best ways. It's a well-made class, just a tad overpowered.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I played one in a one-shot, and have a player using one in my campaign. They're very strong, but I would not say 'overpowered'. They do damage on par with a Sorcerer or Rogue.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I played one for a bit and they're actually a little too strong. They're more consistent across encounters and tougher than a Barbarian and have more control over the use of their abilities as well as do more damage than a Fighter.

They're incredibly fun to play, though, and their moves are ridiculous in the best ways. It's a well-made class, just a tad overpowered.

Seconding this. It's ever so slightly overpowered, but everything it does is such a spectacle that everyone at the table thoroughly enjoys watching it all happen.

It is a class that can wield orcs as ranged weapons. What else do you need?

In all seriousness, I think the sheer awesomeness of the class could be a problem for some groups or players so bear that in mind. I tend to treat player mechanic design with two aspects in mind: combat economy and spotlight economy. The Stalwart has the potential to steal the spotlight a lot more than most other classes, but I've run for a group that absolutely loves the antics of their Stalwart.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Screw the monk. What I really want to know is what has become of the Owlbear Style adventurer feat? Half of me wants it to be unchanged just as a "gently caress you."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

djw175 posted:

Screw the monk. What I really want to know is what has become of the Owlbear Style adventurer feat? Half of me wants it to be unchanged just as a "gently caress you."

I sent an email and got it actually. Can I post it here or not?

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

PublicOpinion posted:

Episode 38 of Ironicus's LP used fan classes including the Stalwart. It seemed pretty cool.

yeah, I agree with the caution that the Stalwart may steal the spotlight from other players. I think that was only averted in this episode by the Stalwart being the focus of the plot in the first place.

We also tested the Arcane Knight, the Alchemist, and the Witch (the version in the vault). We enjoyed the Arcane Knight for the blend of planning and spur-of-the-moment decision it offers, but found the Alchemist difficult to keep track of through multiple sub-abilities and effects, and the Witch underpowered as their Hexes mostly rely on other people's rolls, but have a very low chance of being triggered-- which is one reason I am interested in the Occultist, it sounds like the same idea tweaked.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
The Occultist is basically the Witch but with triggers that actually happen, yeah. I loved the idea of the vault Witch, but the awful triggering conditions and the lack of an at-will spell kind of killed it.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Stallion Cabana posted:

I sent an email and got it actually. Can I post it here or not?

I sent an email and didn't ever hear back, mind PMing me the details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

I sent an email and didn't ever hear back, mind PMing me the details?

Done.