Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Do we have an official ruling on how Archmage is pronounced in the 13th Age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

djw175 posted:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B119yyVD0pppYWU1V2lyTEtSRXM/edit

So, we made this a while back and forgot to post it. An updated nicified version of the Runecaster. We forgot to remove words from from A Perfectly Cromulent Sentence. It shouldn't have the three word limit. That's from our old way of scaling. Also, Sharp Tongues is definitely a bit too powerful. We also need more feats.

Some feedback from character creation and 1 session of Runecasting so far:

The effect line for A Perfectly Cromulent Sentence should (I assume) read "Until the start of your next turn you may use 1 additional word in your next word attack."

Sharp Tongued is really interesting. It seems way overpowered at first but there are a few things that keep it in check. For one, Heavy Armor on a Runecaster is only 1 additional AC. And while you can lay out a good enough Dex mod to effectively use your Make weapons, to do so requires you either A) be a Con/Dex mediocre caster that can use melee and take a few hits or B) be a Casting Stat/Dex glass canon spellsword with almost no HP. I haven't actually generated a Runecaster of that style but on it's own, I think the talent is fairly balanced.

Where it breaks down is how exactly the Make spell interacts with other words. Specifically, how they apply to the weapon needs to be less ambiguous:

Does a Make Pyre give you a weapon that hits 1d3 enemies? Does it only hit 1d3 enemies on the first swing ever? The first swing of a turn?

Can I throw a Make Motion melee weapon at an enemy and then move it to hit a second enemy? If so why would I use the smaller damage dice of a ranged weapon? Does the weapon disappear after the first attack if you do this?

Does a Make Thought weapon always target MD?

This is where Sharp Tongued can get out of hand. I could take a Loquacious Sharp Tongued Rune Scribe, use Perfectly Cromulent in between a battle, and make a Scroll of Summon 1d10 Damage Weapon That Targets Any Defense (and assuming a Make weapon targets PD natively, since that's what Word Attacks target, without even using a word slot) of 1d3 Enemies And You Roll To Attack Twice. At level 1. Then hand it to the ranger :gonk:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Has anyone run a game with the DTAS houserules? How did that work out?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Jackard posted:

Ran it with Blood & Lighting yesterday for a bunch of new players because DTAS sheets were the only ones I had on me.

It went fairly smoothly; aside from one person spending his initial 8 pts on four different backgrounds instead of three, so he lost a point that could have gone towards stats. I wasn't sure how to handle that at the time.

Hmm. Maybe combine the numbers of the two most "similar" backgrounds for one of the stats?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Everyone should play KoDP and then back that Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Any setting that lets you sue a ghost for unlawful trespassing when it haunts your house, and lets you win, is a good setting in my book.