Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My game's rogue has a bunch of abilities to avoid getting damaged by attacks, but has had a hard time getting things to attack her when everyone else is constantly in the monsters' faces and inflicting actual mechanical disincentives to attack anyone else. So we ginned up a marking-type power for rogues which want to enrage people with their smugness:

Tempting Target
Melee Attack
At-will
Target: One enemy
Attack: Dex+level vs. AC
Hit: WEAPON + Dex damage, and as long as you have Momentum the target takes a -4 on attacks that don't include you as a target. For attacks against you, the target ignores attack penalties that aren't the result of Dazed/Weakened.
Miss: Damage equal to your level

The second part of the Hit is to keep it stacking from the Paladin's deathmatch or any other marking mechanics that I don't know about. Not sure what level it would be since all of our rogue's half-dozen ways of mitigating hits came fairly late in the campaign, but given how situational it is I might go with 3rd. Not sure what Feats might go well with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

...Leaving that subject for now...

Has anyone here played a Stalwart? How does it stack against Fighter or Barbarian?

Episode 38 of Ironicus's LP used fan classes including the Stalwart. It seemed pretty cool.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Re: Monsters that heal other monsters, I've made and used one of those. It healed for a relatively small and static amount (especially as the party encountered it unchanged over two levels of play, so the amount of healing was pretty insignificant at the end) and in order to do its healing it had to attack first to steal recoveries from the players (it spending your recoveries on your enemies was the real kicker). The monster itself was pretty fragile, and pretty quick its role in a fight was not to heal but to be a really important target to distract the party from the tough monsters. I might bring that specific monster back when the party fights more undead, but I don't think I'd make another one that does the same things.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

It was some sort of ghost servant. I don't think it ever came up exactly how their power worked. In addition to healing, it also did half damage on a miss if it missed by less than the number of recoveries it had stolen.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Built and played a monk. I enjoyed it. The session's fight (only one this time) went on longer than usual, so I got a bunch of uses out of Flurry (also took it's adventurer feat). Flurry feels pretty competitive with sneak attack since as a separate attack it can salvage a round where you miserably fail with your standard attack or be applied to a separate enemy. Plus there's another chance to throw on any static mods/weapon powers.

Due to rolling 3 an unusual number of times, being able to spend ki to get that to 2 and reroll was handy.

Put points in strength over con and chose the powers/talents that let me pop free/get extra movement/disincentivize attacking me and still wound up rather wounded at the end of the fight, so I fiddled with my scores afterwards to get some more survivability.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Roll20's new update also broke the way I was doing the Escalation Die, I think you need to have the "Escalation Die" character set to be controlled/editable by all players now for them to reference its attributes in macros. I haven't gotten into if there's a better way to do it yet.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I finally organized some of the monsters I've been using into a format that's useful to other people, so here's The Dead Six, some undead for parties in Champion-low Epic tiers. For some reason on my computer the images don't look right in Google Drive on my end but if you download it they're fine. The art is small and ancillary, anyway.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

What kind of information are you looking for? The back of the book has conditions, what you can/can't do while engaged, and what the consumable magic items do/cost.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

For me, everything is nearby unless someone specifically makes it far away (like if I as a GM want threatening artillery, those will start out far away, or if a PC wants to get out of the scrum they can spend two move actions getting far away). Sometimes things are both nearby and far away, like if they're on the other side of a chasm that's too far to jump without effort, then they'd be far away in terms of movement (spending two actions to go around the chasm) but ranged attacks that hit nearby enemies can hit them fine.

Example from Thursday's game:

The two uppermost demons were far away, everything else was nearby.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

You can switch between forms at will as long as you go opening->flow->finisher, though. Which is what I prefer compared to the alternative of having to stick with one form over three rounds.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Here's what I used for an evil alternate version of the party in my game. A lot of the correspondence is more thematic than mechanical. Here's roughly how I did it:
' is mostly a thematic mirror of the party barbarian. She has the talent that gives an extra attack flavored as an animate mind construct, so ' also has a crew of weird psychic shades.
Party cleric has the domain that nullifies critical hits and really gives me trouble when a monster is supposed to get its threat from inflicting Vulnerable, so Julius ignores 1 critical hit per round. His melee attack's ancillary effect is a ripoff of Bless, which the party cleric uses, as is Damnation for Javelin of Faith.
Party paladin takes hits for everyone and yet somehow still hasn't died, so Hannah is supposed to be the trickiest to kill. She also has a Bastion-type effect, and a semi-mark effect to mirror the paladin. Party paladin uses an Inimical sword to weaponize his own high HP, so Hannah has a similar effect on her main attack.
Zede has two separate forms because the party bard got wholly restatted from a ranged bard to a melee bard during the middle of the campaign. The bard has the spell that swaps the positions of party members, so Zede gets a similar effect except as an attack. Party bard got a lot of use out of the spell that inflicts Confuse, so Omega Zede puts the shoe on the other foot except slightly less punishingly than requiring two saves and instead of having the HP threshold it targets the party member with the lowest HP. The monsters that go with Zede were designed because I wanted to have a fight that highly incentivized moving around every turn.
Gorge casts spells with her fists and the party sorceror is a spellfist whose signature moves are Chain Lighting and Breath of the Green.
Party rogue has a dozen ways to mitigate damage and uses Bleeding Strike by default, so Sumiya does either ongoing or gets a damage resistance with her main attack. Turning into a swarm of bats combines damage mitigation with the rogue's High Elf teleport.

The PCs never fought the evil party as a whole party since I wanted to give each of them some spotlight and was also worried about the pileup of gimmicks.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

The monster list has a clear need for a triple-strength level 0 Dwarf archer.

Bomrek Oiledshale, Trainee Archer

Bomrek inherited her great-grandfather's magic bow, The Scythe of Teeth. She has no idea how to use it, but doesn't intend to let that stop her.

Triple-strength 0th level archer [Humanoid/Dwarf]

Initiative +4

The Scythe's Tooth +5 vs. AC—12 damage

R: The Scythe of Teeth +7 vs. AC (1 nearby or faraway creature determined at random)—21 damage
Natural even miss: Re-roll the attack against a random creature nearby the first target. Continue this as long as natural even misses continue.

AC 16
PD 14 HP 54
MD 10

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

Here's a relatively stupid question: does the "damage bonus from ability score" multiplier that you get at 5th and 8th level add in to spells or is it just physical attacks?
I swear I've seen that it also adds to spells but I can't find it now. Still looking.

e: In the 'Damage' section of the combat rules it says that the double/triple ability mods get applied to 'all attacks'.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 11, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone got any ideas for the paladin? In my game one of the players came up with a paladin talent that enhances its defender capabilities by letting the paladin disengage from a target and leave behind a shadow clone to keep the monster locked down (though not as well as if the paladin itself was doing it). I suggested that we work it over again with the summoned creature rules from 13TW.

Anyone got other ideas? The paladin has two resources, Smites and Lay-on-hands-es, so alternate ways of spending those or choices to make while spending those could give it more things to do. A talent that, 1/encounter when you would ordinarily drop a creature below 0, gives you the option of leaving it at 1 HP and have it be Confused for the rest of the battle, after which it runs away to reevaluate its life choices? A Squire that works off a slightly modified version of the Animal Companion rules?

e: just noticed Lay on Hands is a talent and not a feature, maybe creating a Initiate/Adept Paladin healing talent with some leader abilities?

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 12, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

djw175 posted:

I say this from experience, the Paladin does not need more disengagement penalties. He already has the deathmatch feat.

I can get behind giving the damage scaling for free, though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I'm planning on running a 13th Age game soon, with only one major houserule.

3d6 instead of 1d20.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I realize this means flatting out the curve for things like Flexible attacks and the like, does anyone have like, off the top of their head, what a 16+ or an 18+ or something should be instead?

I think the major cutoff points 13A uses on the d20 are 5+, 12+, 16+, and 18+ so 25%, 60%, 80%, and 90% chances of not happening, corresponding roughly to 8+, 11+, 13+, and 14+ on 3d6.

e: I guess the easy/normal/hard saves would go from 6+/11+/16+ to 8+/10+/13+.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 12, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

djw175 posted:

Can I ask why you're doing that. Because the way that's weighted will do interesting things to the mechanics.

The escalation die is going to go nuts. If you need an 11 to hit on round one, that's 50% for both 1d20 and 3d6. But round 2 3d6 hits 62.5% vs. d20's 55%, and then 74.1% vs. 60%, and then 83.8% vs. 65%, eventually topping out at 98.2% vs. 80%. God help you if the bard sings and the cleric blesses. Seems like all the encounter/monster building guidelines will be useless.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

because one of my players hates d20 but really wants to play 13th Age because he hates the fact that the curve is basically a straight line where 1 is as likely as 20.

Maybe you should just steal the Icons, some escalation die variant, the One Unique Thing, and Backgrounds and port them to whatever your normal 3d6 fantasy system is.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

If you don't like the 5% chance of rolling 1 and the resulting total nothing happens failure, just treat 1s like normal misses. That's what we do because I didn't notice that rule the first time through and when I realized the mistake nobody involved felt like changing. The very slight boost to PC power (since the average monster doesn't get miss damage) is nothing compared to our ability score houserule anyway.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Sammy is always happy to have someone new to talk to. And he'll totally be impressed that your mom gave you Pringles.

Edit: 13th Age DMs, what's a good upper limit on an epic-tier Wrecker's damage with a single attack? A surprising critical hit turned our Chaos Mage into a thin red mist last session, and I felt a little bad about it. Not too bad, as I did manage to come up with a good use of a 5 icon success to keep him in the story (He woke up in an empty hospital, and has temporarily lost the use of his Separate Existence talent), but bad enough that I wonder if I should tone down the big hit attacks.

For Wreckers I usually use the posted damage as the average but give them powerful Miss damage or effects. I also tend to give larger ones a variable number of attacks (d4 or d6 usually) so that they'll usually do their average damage, but sometimes get the max number of attacks and really lay into a guy (having more attacks means that a crit is less likely to paste a PC as well, but I also feel like it makes Vulnerable or an otherwise expanded crit range useful). To get even more damage out of them in a way that is unlikely to outright kill someone, you can give them out of turn reaction attacks to being hit or missed in specific ways. In a recent fight the main wrecker had a self-destruct attack to use the turn after it 'died'.

Here's that monster, and also it's sibling:

Amber Totem Selevon
Level 13 Wrecker [Demon]
Initiative +16

Monument: Creatures with a lower initiative than Totem Selevon are Vulnerable against its attacks

Heavy Press +18 vs. AC, 110 Damage
Miss: 55 Damage

Tornado Crush (1d6 attacks) +18 vs. AC, 32 Damage
(While Totem Selevon is staggered, roll 2d6 and keep the highest for the number of Tornado Crush attacks)

Self Destruct: When Amber Totem Selevon hits 0, it remains standing until the end of its next turn. On its next turn, it moves to engage the largest cluster of enemies and makes the following attack:
[Special Trigger]Self Destruct +18 vs. AC (engaged enemies), 55 Negative energy damage
Miss: 28 damage
And then it dies

AC 29

PD 23 HP 432
MD 27

Jade Totem Orron
Large Level 11 Spoiler [Demon]
Initiative +14

Tombstone: Creatures engaged with Totem Orron only gain half healing when they are healed. While Totem Orron is staggered, when creatures engaged with it are healed they treat every die involved in the amount of healing as having come up '1'.

Numbing Press +16 vs. AC, 140 Damage
Natural even hit or miss: Target is Dazed until the end of its next turn

C: Thanatos Impulse +16 vs. MD (1d4 nearby enemies), 56 Negative energy damage
Natural even hit or miss: If the target misses with its next attack, it takes 28 damage

AC 27
PD 21 HP 576
MD 25

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Alright, cool! Looks like I was on the right track, damage wise, and the Chaos Mage was simply... unlucky.

It probably helps that my game has a Bastion paladin and a Community cleric, so a quarter of the time enemies will just not be able to crit and the rest of the time the paladin is around to eat half of any really murderous crits. One time none of those helped and we did have a PC dropped to negative half, but we ignored it and instead of dying the character was just infected with the monster's horrific parasites for a dungeon.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

With 13TW out the party now includes a barbarian/chaos mage and a cleric/commander. I also made an encounter entirely out of Epic [X] Elementals and it worked pretty well, I like the transformation mechanic. It makes me want to use them again since only the fire and air elementals got to transform this time around.

EDIT: Also the party met its third Icon, the Elf Queen, who I had look like this:

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 15, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Inspired by a bit in LP13A's ep 45, I took a stab at a trap system.

TRAPS

All traps start the battle Loaded. After a trap has triggered, it is Unloaded and cannot trigger again until it passes a Loading check. At the top of each round, make a Loading check for each Unloaded trap by rolling a d6 and seeing if its less than or equal to the escalation die.

You may attempt to Disarm a trap by rolling a background check against it as a quick action and beating the listed DC. If you Disarm a Loaded trap, it becomes Unloaded. If you Disarm an Unloaded trap, it automatically fails its next Loading check. If you really, really dedicate yourself to getting rid of a particular trap (expending your whole turn or daily resources) you should be able to get rid of it for the rest of the battle.

Only one trap triggers per triggering event. If multiple traps are eligible, pick one either randomly or whichever one seems most appropriate.

These traps occur as reactions in order to make them simpler to adjudicate. By default the entire arena is fair game for the traps to go off in, but you could have only certain zones trapped as long as you can make it clear where people are in the fuzzy positioning of 13th Age.

Example traps:

(These are all listed as level 10 by virtue of their attack bonus and damage. I've used the attack stats of a normal level 10 monster)

NEEDLE SPRAY TRAP
Level 10 trap

Reliable: On Loading checks, the trap rolls 2d6 and keeps the lowest

Trigger: An enemy rolls a natural 1-3 on an attack

Needle Spray (the triggering enemy and one random enemy nearby the triggering enemy) +15 vs. AC, 28 damage

Disarm DC: 25

MAGEBANE TRAP
Level 10 trap

Trigger: When an enemy uses a Limited spell, after the spell is resolved they must roll a Normal save (or a Hard save if the spell was a Daily). If they fail the save, the trap triggers

Mage Seal (triggering enemy) +15 vs. MD, The target takes a -4 to spells (save ends)
Natural 16+: The target also cannot apply the Escalation Die to spells (same save ends)

Disarm DC: 27

CHAINACONDA TRAP
Level 10 trap

Trigger: An enemy rolls a 5- on a Disengage check. When the escalation die is 3+, the Chainaconda is triggered on an enemy who fails a Disengage check in any way.

Wrap (triggering enemy) +15 vs. PD, the target is Stuck until they spend a Move action removing the chains. While the target is Stuck, the Chainaconda's allies get the Escalation Die bonus to attacks against the target.

NAPALM SPRAYER
Level 10 trap

Wildfire: When any creatures are taking ongoing Fire damage, the Napalm Sprayer automatically passes Loading checks if nobody has disarmed it that round.

Trigger: A creature rolls a natural odd attack.

Burn (triggering creature) +15 vs. PD, 32 ongoing Fire damage
Natural even miss: 10 Fire damage and the Napalm Sprayer remains Loaded

MECHANICAL ANTLION
Level 10 trap

Hidden: On any skill checks to find traps, the Antlion's spot DC is Very Hard (35 in Epic by default, though if the party knows that they're in an area with Mechanical Antlions it drops down to 30 or less if you feel its necessary). If nobody has spotted it, it gets +4 to the first attack it makes in the battle.

Trigger: An enemy rolls a natural 1-5.

Clamp +15 vs. AC (Triggering enemy), 42 damage
Natural even hit or miss: the target is Stuck (save ends), any time the target fails this save it takes 15 damage

Disarm DC: 30 (25 if anyone is currently Stuck)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I just realized my proposed trap system is missing the most important part of traps from 4e, which was forcing enemies into them. Now I need to figure out good DCs or requirements for making traps target everyone instead of just enemies, making traps target their allies instead of everyone, and making that change permanent instead of for its next attack. Ideas?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

Are you asking for how the PCs could use discovered traps to their advantage, effectively trapping the battlefield against their enemies?

I feel like the easiest is to have them attack anything that triggers it, regardless of ally/enemy. Obviously magebane trap would need an npc alternative, but it looks like most could swing both ways.

Could you clarify a little on what you're asking for ideas about?

I'm trying to think of the best way to include the fun things you can do with traps without having to layer on too many rules. I also come up with criteria for success where a rogue won't auto-succeed and anyone else who wants to futz with a trap will have less of a chance of pulling it off but won't be barred from whatever it is they're trying to do. That might be already solved if you simply use more traps than you have rogues, but I'm not sure. Maybe I should run a trap test combat before my main game next week.

I don't want to use any literal forced movement, but a way of making the party's enemies valid targets, making the party's enemies the exclusive targets, and forcing a trap to go off against an enemy regardless of what its trigger is seem like a good start.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

Is there any reliable word on whether sorcerers should be able to prepare the generic utility spell through either Arcane Heritage or the wizardry class feature? I can't tell for sure.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't. Utility Spell is still a wizard spell, it's just listed outside of the normal lists because of its weird behavior.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

Something that just came up: there's nothing keeping a Necromancer from just using Deathknell over and over on his turn as long as he has actions, is there? Like, if a couple of enemies are low, he can just pick them off?

Seems like. If there were three eligible enemies, you could convert your move and standard to quick actions and pick them off.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Serf posted:

So I'm looking to run a 13th Age game through Roll20, and I'm curious as to what you guys use for making maps. I want to make tactical maps for the fights, and MS Paint isn't exactly the most useful program. I can make something passable with it, but it's not pretty.

On the other hand, given 13th Age's lessened emphasis on tactical movement and positioning, I was thinking about just using Roll20 to display relative locations and whatnot, but I don't want to just use a blank white screen. Rather than making tactical maps, would it be acceptable to just throw up a piece of art that looks like the place where the fight is happening?

A piece of art as a background generally works pretty well.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

A PC actually died in tonight's session! The fight was set up to be a bear: they were riding an elevator, the escalation die only went up when the elevator went up and that only happened as long as they stayed engaged with the controls, and I had a near infinite supply of dudes ready to drop in until they reached the top floor. It also featured four of the napalm sprayer traps from my post on traps, which mostly actually made things more slanted in the PC's favor as the enemies wound up on fire way more often.

This is the monster that slew the PC, dropping her to -half with a crit:

Blood Eagle

Level 13 Wrecker [Dragon]
Initiative +20
Resist Fire 16+

Fear Threshold 144 (Dazed and no Escalation Die)

Flying

Inquisitor: Enemies who are Tieflings or otherwise demon-related, have a positive/conflicted relationship with the Diabolist, have a negative relationship with the Crusader, or can otherwise be declared as heretics are Vulnerable against Blood Eagle's attacks

Slaying Halberd +18 vs. AC, 83 damage and if the target is dropped to 0 by this attack, it loses 1 recovery
Natural even hit or miss: Make a Firebreath attack as a free action
[Special Trigger] Firebreath (1d3+1 nearby enemies in a group) +18 vs. PD, 20 Fire damage
Natural even hit or miss: ongoing 10 Fire damage

Vigilant: 1/round when a melee attacker targeting Blood Eagle rolls a natural 1-5, make a Tail Swipe attack as a reaction against the triggering enemy. If the attacker rolled a natural 1, Blood Eagle's crit range expands by 4 (default 16+) for the attack.
[Special Trigger] Tail Swipe +18 vs. AC, 28 damage

AC 30
PD 28 HP 432
MD 24

Just now realized I forgot to enforce his Fear aura, though I don't think it would've ever come up. Same with the Inquisitor feature, the murdering crit was a legit 20. Also weird coincidence that Dark Souls just came up, because I was basing his abilities/design on the bell gargoyles.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

Do you do your own Sprite work? They're amazing.

Yep. Here's another guy from that fight, which didn't kill anyone but dropped the bard below 0 like three times and almost killed her (7 hp above negative half):

Bonesnapper
Large Level 11 Spoiler [Construct]
Initiative +13
Resist energy 12+

Construct immunity to effects

The Big Arm +16 vs. PD,
100 damage and Grabbed
Natural even miss: 50 damage

[quick action 1/round, 2/round while staggered] Crush +20 vs. PD (1 grabbed enemy), 40 damage and Vulnerable until the end of Bonesnapper's next turn

Bonesnapper +20 vs. PD (1 grabbed enemy), 140 damage and Hampered (hard save ends)
Miss: 70 damage

Crushing Hatred: While Bonesnapper is staggered, Grabbed enemies take 40 damage at the start of their turn

AC 27
PD 23 HP 576
MD 23

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

So is your party level 10? I notice a lot of your enemies are level 10+s, so I'm guessing so anyway?

I've found that in champion/epic where the encounter guidelines start counting level+1 or level+2 enemies as on-level with the party, they aren't kidding. At least that's how I've found it if you let the magic items flow fairly freely; if I'd been more of a stickler for making them actually find replacements rather than just upgrading the items automatically during tier transitions it might not have been so pronounced. When the party actually is level 10 and they throw down with the Dead God of Death, I'm going to have to figure out extending the monster stat chart off beyond level 14.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What'd be the best class for a tanky fists brawler?

Weirdly enough, one of my players has had great success doing this with a Bard. Dex for melee attacks and Song of Spilt blood make you annoyingly hard to hit 1/day and just regularly hard to hit the rest of the time. Spelljack the Cleric's 'Hammer of Faith' and you wind up throwing d12s, too. This assumes that you're down with playing any class and just reskinning a weapon as 'fists', though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Thinking about tanky characters got me wondering about jacking AC. Here's my thought: You go Paladin/Bard with the talents Bastion, Paladin's Challenge, and Jack of Spells. A sword/board Paladin has 17 base AC, +1 from Bastion, plus level. Sure any Bard attacks/spells would be at -3, but that doesn't matter. You go with the odd array of 16/8/14/10/14/16, starting from the 16 14 14 12 10 8 array and putting the class bonus into CHA and whatever race bonus into DEX. That gives you a walking around AC of 21, so your normal enemy needs 15 to hit you. You spelljack Shield of Faith, which will give +1 AC to you and two friends 1/day, and then start Song of Spilled Blood and hope that ditching CON puts you at less health than the entire rest of your party for a large defense bonus. Luckily our higher than normal CHA gives us more smite attempts, because the +4 is going to be handy for actually hitting things and triggering the Challenge to actually use our high AC to our advantage.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

One Unique Thing: A sickly old man trapped in a cursed(?) suit of armor that absolutely refuses to just let him die. He adventures to find something strong enough to give him the sweet release of death. Reskin a warforged and keep fighting after you drop below 0, trapped in a cage of unending torment!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Working on writing an adventure. What are people's thoughts on the maps looking like this:

Also, I haven't bought the Book of Loot yet, does it include additional consumable items? Would I be reinventing the wheel if there was an NPC selling holy water?

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 15, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Spent the day putting together a first draft of the adventure's encounters: here

Need to do the rest of the maps, fill the starting town with helpful NPCs and ways to bring in Icon relationships, one or two of the grid-style skill challenges from the organized play, a magic item or two, and the flavor text.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Working on my NPCs and their hooks (the full thing is here), I wanted feedback on these custom consumable items:

Level 1 Holy Water (Price: 125)
Standard action to use
C: Attack (1 nearby enemy) +[level]+3 vs. PD
Hit: 2d4+3 Holy damage
Miss: --, unless the enemy is vulnerable to Holy, in which case half damage
Level 3: attack is +4+[lvl], damage is 4d4+3, Price 175
Level 5: attack is +6+[lvl], damage is 6d4+6, Price 250
Level 7: attack is +7+[lvl], damage is 8d4+6, Price 300
Level 9: attack is +9+[lvl], damage is 10d4+9, Price 500

Bless Weapon: Instead of using the Holy Water to attack, as a quick action you may expend the holy water by blessing your weapon. It acts as an oil of the appropriate tier (lvl 1 or 3 = adv, lvl 5 or 7 = champ, lvl 9 = epic) and makes your weapon do Holy damage for the duration. If you want to stop doing Holy damage for some reason, it’s a free action to wipe it off (this un-blesses the weapon).

River Spirits (2 bottles, 75 GP): Fine elven wine that acts as an adventurer tier Healing Potion except when you use it, roll a normal save. If you succeed, regain 1 recovery as the wine makes you feel so good.

Silver Wine (1 bottle, 200 GP): Drow wine made of an exquisite blend of poisons balanced against each other so as to not kill you. You will be so full of poison that no more poison can get in. The wine acts as an adventurer tier Potion of Resistance (Poison), except when you use it the current value of the Escalation Die is added to your Resistance. (So using it at Escalation Die 3, you get Resistance 19+).

Gutter Cruor (1 bottle, 0 GP): Sluggo isn’t sure why he has this. It’s a goblin recipe, and you absolutely shouldn’t drink it. However, put it on your weapon, and it will act as an Oil--except at the end of the fight, you lose a recovery from exposure to the fumes.

Stonesense Serum (1 bottle, 75 GP): This got mixed in with a shipment of ale and isn’t really supposed to be exported or used by civilians. Drink it, and until the next full heal-up you get a +5 background called “Stonesense” which pertains to gleaning information from rocks.

BERSERKERBRAU (2 bottles, 50 GP): An adventurer tier healing potion, except you can smash it against your forehead as a free action and still get the full effect! Except you need to spend an extra recovery. Those shards of glass, ya’know.

“DON’T TREAD ON ME” SNAKE OIL (1 bottle, 100 GP): Rub this on your armor and it acts as normal adventurer tier oil, except when you’re targeted in melee deal your level in damage to the attacker before the attack! If the attack hits, take your level in additional damage.

GOOD OLD GO-JUICE (2 bottles, 75 GP): Down this as a quick action and ignore any adventurer tier save-ends effects on you during your current turn! During your next turn, take a -5 to saves.

SCORPION’S VENOM (1 bottle, 150 GP): Take advantage of the fact that you can’t be double-poisoned! When you drink this, take 1d6/level damage that can’t reduce you below 1 HP. Until the start of your next turn, ignore all adventurer tier Poison damage.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 18, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I remember people were asking if we could get a version of the map with no text, did that ever happen?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone have any 3rd level pregens just laying around? I think I'll try and scare up a 4-person group tomorrow to test some of the adventure with Skype+Roll20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Last-minute unfortunate drop-out, need one more player for level 3 one-shot, Roll20+Skype, mic pretty much mandatory, hit me up on Skype @ public.opinion.sa, looking to get started as soon as chargen is done, 3 PM Pacific at the latest hopefully. Filled.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2014