Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

I want to give our paladin a magic weapon that's one of those rare, newfangled shotguns you sometimes see out on the frontier. The player is cursed with bad dice luck, and in general I'm trying to get my players to take advantage of unused icon relationship rolls. I drew from Serf's firearms rules but added the "scatter" effect, as well as a fumble effect to reflect the fact that firearms are prone to blowing up in their users' hands.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this item. Too much? Too little? Could be more interesting?

The Emperor’s Peace (magic weapon: shotgun)
The stock of this firearm holds the shard of a once-proud blade wielded by a Dragon Rider until she fell in battle, her sword shattered. Now her sword is reborn as a new weapon for a new and more dangerous Age.

+1/+2/+3
Range: Melee, Nearby
Damage: 1d8 to 1d3 nearby enemies in a group, or 1d10 to one nearby or engaged enemy
Big drat gun: +2 to background checks meant to intimidate or scare others.
Unstable: Rolling a natural 1 on an attack causes the weapon to deal damage to you instead, and it can’t be used again for the rest of the battle.

If you have at least one positive icon relationship point with the Emperor, you unlock the following powers:

The Dragon’s Roar (once per battle): The closest enemy hit is dazed (–4 penalty to attacks) until the start of your next turn. If all enemies hit are equidistant, choose one.

The Dragon’s Blessing: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 6 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit.

The Dragon’s Sacrifice: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 5 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit, but the shades of past Emperors demand a blood sacrifice in exchange for their help: you or an ally takes miss damage (determined randomly.)

Quirk: Driven to find the strongest and most dangerous enemies of the Empire in the area, and compel them to pledge fealty to the Emperor.

Hmm. I love it, both mechanically and flavor-wise, but it does seem a little loaded, no pun intended.

That said, seems like a fun toy, and well-tailored to an unlucky player! I never thought about using relationship successes as ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Archie McGee is the canonical pronunciation.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I am enjoying this Chaos Mage.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd like to amend a statement I made in the previous thread where I prematurely described the chaos mage as "kind of a utility spellcaster with the ability to emulate other casters". Having now seen the document, I can now describe the chaos mage, with confidence, as being "exactly what it says on the label".

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I played one in a one-shot, and have a player using one in my campaign. They're very strong, but I would not say 'overpowered'. They do damage on par with a Sorcerer or Rogue.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Stallion Cabana posted:

I sent an email and got it actually. Can I post it here or not?

I sent an email and didn't ever hear back, mind PMing me the details?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LordPants posted:

"7th Age Re-enactor" for Chaos Mage background is now my new favorite thing.

Amazing.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

everythingWasBees posted:

I think my birthday present to myself will be picking up a copy of this for our GM.

Has anybody had experience with the Stalwart, the Cleric, and the Paladin? I'm thinking of using one of them, and while the Paladin fits best thematically, followed by the Stalwart, I'm worried about lack of variation in the Paladin, and how well the Stalwart balances against everything else.

Stalwart- Extremely powerful. Sometimes scarily so. It's pretty much the most heroic thing put to paper.

Cleric- Great class, extremely versatile, and goes well out of its way to ensure you won't be stuck playing "The Healer" at all times.

The Paladin- I find it pretty lackluster, to be honest. It's got a lot of tank-y abilities that no one else gets, but most of its interesting powers come from taking Cleric abilities. Take Universal Path of Righteousness to make your party love you.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I absolutely adore what they did with the NPC write-ups. They took a few minor ideas I had a year ago, and turned it into an interesting and compelling character beyond my wildest imagination.

The problem is that I'd feel super masturbatory using my own character in a campaign. That's kinda encroaching on bad DMPC levels that I'm not comfortable with.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PantsOptional posted:

Which one was yours?

I'm the World's Happiest Bard.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PantsOptional posted:

Is he supposed to be anyone in particular? My money was on Sammy Hagar.

Nah; I played him in a game about a year or so back, and really enjoyed the character.

Visually, I think I probably drew a little inspiration from the blonde main character in the Dreamworks film "Road to El Dorado".

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Dionysos510 posted:

There are frankly more changes in the talents than I could go through. Basically, you can now get "initiate" level in a talent by taking it once, or "adept" level by taking it twice.

Wait, that's for more than Animal Companion?! I have reading to do.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Dionysos510 posted:

Yeah, there are initiate and adept levels of everything!

I like that Adept Shifter makes Shifter good. Two talents good? Perhaps not, but still interesting.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

HomegrownHydra posted:

Thanks. That sounds good. I really didn't like that the animal companion only showed up occasionally.

How often does the shape changer get to change forms for the first three levels? How many spells does Elemental caster and Terrain caster get early on?

In initiate, once.

In Adept, beast form is an At-Will.\

Elemental Casters don't get many dailies without being adepts, Terrain gets 1-2 either way for early levels.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LongDarkNight posted:

The art work for Sammy is so creepy. I may have to paste a piece of black construction paper over it.

It makes me smile just like him every time I see it.

head58 posted:

I keep staring at that face and wondering who was the "model" for it. The features are too specific to just be an illustration. The tiefling is pretty clearly modeled on Taylor Swift and the gnome is either John Astin or Clark Gable and the paladin...Christopher Lambert maybe? But I can't place Sammy's face and it's driving me nuts.

Here's the exact text of the physical description I sent in the email:

Physical description: Blonde hair with emerald green eyes, a short beard, and long wild (yet not dirty) hair, kept under a fetching hat. Stands about 5'12". Human. Often wearing some sort of eye-catching garb,as if he were oblivious to the concept of fashion, such as long purple coats with a bright yellow undershirt. Despite that, he manages to pull it off in a charming way.

I didn't supply any sort of reference photo.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

moths posted:

You're... not an American, are you?

I know, I know. Don't worry, Rob pointed it out too, and we had a laugh about it.

It was just a dumb typo.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
While I'm nowhere near as upset about it (I still think it's a solid class), I am surprised at the revisions from the last playtest to the release monk. The removal of Burning Fortress Style and Drunken Fist in their entirety makes me pretty sad.

I'd almost say they imported the wrong playtest monk by mistake.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yeah, now that I look at it it's very weird.

Why do the playtest Monk if so much of it was cut out and removed? I mean the Druid has a lot of similar stuff still in it, ala the Forms being changed to Beast Powers, with some new stuff, but it seems like the Monk got a lot of changes.

I mean, I reckon that changes were made in response to playtest feedback (both internal and external), but who asked for the removal of Drunken Fist?

Also, I kinda don't get the joke with the three "Seven Deadly Secrets".

edit: That said, I'm glad they made Spinning Willow Style better.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 29, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd just focus on modeling whatever "signature moves" the PCs have. Take their favorite go-to attacks and start using those as a base.

That's what I did, when I made my mirror mode PCs. The Rogue had a bit of a Shadow-Walk like move that triggered on a Natural Roll above Dexterity score attack against a PC (not with doubling damage, naturally), the Commander had some pretty good buff moves, the Monk had some combo-y moves meant to slightly mimic opening, flow, and finishers.

It's not too hard, just don't worry about copying every ability word for word. Pick stuff that your players will recognize about their characters, and make nods to their tactics.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's always a little startling when Rob Heinsoo emails you to tell you that your character has become a meme

But then I start smiling, and my face

just

wants

to

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Gnoll Shredder, p. 196:

Fighters/Paladins should get such defender goodness...

Hell, let's give it to them.

5th-level Maneuver
Sweep the Leg
flexible melee attack
Triggering roll: Natural odd hit
Special: This maneuver can only be triggered on an opportunity attack.
Effect: The target loses the rest of its actions this turn (and stops moving if it was moving).
C: This maneuver now triggers on any hit. (Yes, it must still be an opportunity attack.)
E: In addition to the opportunity attack, make an additional basic melee attack as a free action against the same target. This attack can not trigger your maneuvers.

Talent
Jailer of the Unjust (Evil Paladins, please read "Jailer of the Just")
Once per battle, when you hit an enemy with an opportunity attack, you may cause them to lose the rest of their actions for the turn (they stop moving if they were moving). In addition, enemies roll twice when trying to disengage from you, and take the lower result.
A: You may trigger Jailer of the Unjust twice per battle. In addition, the targeted enemy must make a Hard save to disengage from you, until they successfully do so.
C: Your allies gain a +2 to attacks and damage against enemies you have targeted with Jailer of the Unjust.
E: You may now trigger Jailer of the Unjust any time you make an opportunity attack against an enemy. In addition, once per battle, you may trigger Jailer of the Unjust on a miss.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 4, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

The fighter one technically doesn't work because AoOs are very specifically not flexibles, but basic attacks already. There should really be some sort of fighter feat that lets them change that or something too, it would be a simple and good feat for building a defender fighter

I mean, I think the Special text kinda covers it? But yeah, it would be cool to expand that.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Covok posted:

While I am not an authority on the subject, the base game was under a similar circumstance and then was later put up as a solo pdf. So, the same will likely occur for its supplements.

Absolutely true.
Probably a month after
physical release

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

everythingWasBees posted:

Is there a good reference for what the equivalents of the different ability scores would be? Like, what would a creature with Int of 2 be like, or Int of 6.

In the bestiary, there's a section detailing the various behaviors of different creatures, if that's what you're looking for. Like "This kinda of creature is likely to knock someone out and interrogate them". And "This creature will likely try to kill a downed PC", or "This creature probably killed an icon in some Age.

I'm guessing that's the kind of thing you're looking for? How a monster would behave?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

Necromancer has so many cool things for its talents, it must be really hard to pick just 3.

I found it difficult. For example, I want to take flaming skeleton minion and Cackling Soliloquist on every Necromancer, but it just wasn't right for the Necromancer/Cleric that has been trying to seek vengeance for her wrongful death and resurrection since the 7th Age. It's a really cool class.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Caphi posted:

Multiclassing clarification: if your key modifier includes str or dex, does that affect your basic attacks as well? Most basic attacks are str or dex regardless of the class's ability modifier (for instance a fighter/wizard's natural attacks are both str) so I'm puzzled as to if it becomes str/int instead.

Reading the rules: "It’s worth noting that you don’t necessarily use the key
modifier for all attacks, only for attacks that would normally use
one of the two ability scores in question
."

So, in the case of the Fighter Wizard, yes, you would use Strength/Int for your melee attacks, but would just use Dex for basic ranged attacks.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 8, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So, I was a little hesitant about multiclassing at first. The whole "one less level" threw me off, until I did the math, and realized that you still come out ahead in options. I've created a Necromancer/Cleric with a pretty cool story, and I'm working on a Monk/Sorcerer that is actually pretty legit. Hell, my lil' brother and I were theorizing a Paladin Necromancer that could essentially just wear heavy armor and only use the spells that created summons to avoid caring about the spell penalty.

But I think I've struck the pinnacle of perfect class design. What do you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2ld0dxwk8a1fei/Chaos%20Mage.pdf

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PantsOptional posted:

Dumb multiclassing question: if a Sorcerer/Wizard (Sorcerard? Wizeror?) with Spell Fist casts a ranged wizard spell, does he still provoke opportunity attacks?

Yeah, no power crossover.

I'm pretty sure that is how that works; it's sort of like how using shadow walk would not double the damage on a Fighter's attack. Your spell fist only prevents you from taking opportunity attacks when you cast ranged sorcerer spells in melee.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 10, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PantsOptional posted:

That's what I thought. It seems like MC'ing those two is going to get REALLY confusing really fast, what with two different spell lists in addition to cantrips and utility spell.

Such is the price of being the Double-Dip Wizard, I suppose.

It also makes for a fairly potent multiclass. The wizard only really cares about INT, so Con is the next logical pick due to how useful it is as a stat, and the sorcerer already inherently cares about CON for other reasons. The combined stat is INT/CHA, meaning the Double-Dip Wizard only cares about three stats. Taking the feats that let you Gather Power on non-sorcerer spells, and assuming the use of Evocation, there is a chance that, once in a campaign, Bradley the SuperWizard and Beefcakes the Cleric of Strength team up and nuke the tarrasque from orbit.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I had a lot of fun making a Cleric/Monk. The monk already takes the damage die hit, has a MAD problem, and has standard actions completely claimed. Cleric seems to be the only thing a Monk can multiclass to without any issues.

Actually, I've found success in Monk/Sorcerer. While MAD is still a thing, using Focus and Overworld Lineage gives you a monk that cares about Charisma, which the Sorcerer also cares about, so plenty of Ki, the ability to pause in the form progression, and cast spells.

It's not really a bad fit. And the monk multiclass DOES grant that additional Class ability score bonus.

Edit: Plus, he's the Crusader's brother, and the self-appointed "Bare Fist of the Old Gods" to the Crusader's "Armored Fist of the Dark Gods"

I wish I played in any games, instead of ran them.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Also, spells are available to be taken by ANY class via a Talent so it wouldn't be hard at all to reimagine them as alchemical items, military disciplines, weird kitschy gadgets or whatever else you might want.

This is pretty rad, actually.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

-Fish- posted:

Alternatively, dump his books and make him sit at Smiling Sammy G's lunch table.

Sammy is always happy to have someone new to talk to. And he'll totally be impressed that your mom gave you Pringles.

Edit: 13th Age DMs, what's a good upper limit on an epic-tier Wrecker's damage with a single attack? A surprising critical hit turned our Chaos Mage into a thin red mist last session, and I felt a little bad about it. Not too bad, as I did manage to come up with a good use of a 5 icon success to keep him in the story (He woke up in an empty hospital, and has temporarily lost the use of his Separate Existence talent), but bad enough that I wonder if I should tone down the big hit attacks.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PublicOpinion posted:

For Wreckers I usually use the posted damage as the average but give them powerful Miss damage or effects. I also tend to give larger ones a variable number of attacks (d4 or d6 usually) so that they'll usually do their average damage, but sometimes get the max number of attacks and really lay into a guy (having more attacks means that a crit is less likely to paste a PC as well, but I also feel like it makes Vulnerable or an otherwise expanded crit range useful). To get even more damage out of them in a way that is unlikely to outright kill someone, you can give them out of turn reaction attacks to being hit or missed in specific ways. In a recent fight the main wrecker had a self-destruct attack to use the turn after it 'died'.

Here's that monster, and also it's sibling:

Amber Totem Selevon
Level 13 Wrecker [Demon]
Initiative +16

Monument: Creatures with a lower initiative than Totem Selevon are Vulnerable against its attacks

Heavy Press +18 vs. AC, 110 Damage
Miss: 55 Damage

Tornado Crush (1d6 attacks) +18 vs. AC, 32 Damage
(While Totem Selevon is staggered, roll 2d6 and keep the highest for the number of Tornado Crush attacks)

Self Destruct: When Amber Totem Selevon hits 0, it remains standing until the end of its next turn. On its next turn, it moves to engage the largest cluster of enemies and makes the following attack:
[Special Trigger]Self Destruct +18 vs. AC (engaged enemies), 55 Negative energy damage
Miss: 28 damage
And then it dies

AC 29

PD 23 HP 432
MD 27

Jade Totem Orron
Large Level 11 Spoiler [Demon]
Initiative +14

Tombstone: Creatures engaged with Totem Orron only gain half healing when they are healed. While Totem Orron is staggered, when creatures engaged with it are healed they treat every die involved in the amount of healing as having come up '1'.

Numbing Press +16 vs. AC, 140 Damage
Natural even hit or miss: Target is Dazed until the end of its next turn

C: Thanatos Impulse +16 vs. MD (1d4 nearby enemies), 56 Negative energy damage
Natural even hit or miss: If the target misses with its next attack, it takes 28 damage

AC 27
PD 21 HP 576
MD 25

Alright, cool! Looks like I was on the right track, damage wise, and the Chaos Mage was simply... unlucky.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PlasmaMan posted:

you could also cheat a bit and make use-limited attacks that do a lot of damage, but cannot reduce HP below a certain number, or attacks that set an enemy to be precisely staggered or less... something like that which maintains the frenzy of needing to heal without as much opportunity to be unlucky and eating a crit and a normal attack at once and dropping immediately.

bonus: make a once-per-encounter attack that sets a PC's HP to 3d6 rather than dealing 3d6 damage, then name it something like "kenny the killer's 100% surefire instant-death no-escape jamboree". double-bonus, make kenny the killer a professional wrestler.

Pretty much all of that was the best idea, especially the second half. Thanks!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Andrast posted:

When can you buy the pdf-only version of 13 true ways? Buying the print version isn't very realistic in my situation right now and I missed the kickstarter because I only recently got into 13th age.

You'll likely be able to purchase it roughly a month after the print version has shipped.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Chatting with my little brother about 13th Age often yields ridiculous character ideas. In this case, the absurdity of minions.

Twygzog Sorcerer Wizard

Talents:
Fungal Companion
Sorcerer's Familiar
Wizard's Familiar.

Taking the adventurer, champion, and epic feats for all three familiars (might need to be house-ruled a bit, in the Twygzog's case, but it's kinda implied you are allowed to apply the wizard familiar feats to your Fungaloid companion.)

At this point, once-per-level, you may cast any daily spell you know four times on the same turn. And your own private circus.

My brother expanded on this, theorizing a situation where you use Access to Wizardry to put Haste on the Sorcerer's spell list, and then use all of your companions to give anyone up to five standard actions. Or give yourself three standard actions on the next turn, cast Meteor Swarm three times, then ascend into heaven as you watch a crater form upon the Dragon Empire. Or any number of obscene wizard parties.

Which has made me realize that a sufficiently leveled Sorcerer/Wizard can potentially destroy an encounter once-per-level. With a little help from their friends.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I received mine yesterday, on the east coast. Absolutely in love with the art.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

CaptainPsyko posted:

Worst: Monk.

Best: most of the others are pretty great. Bards are rad I guess?

If you include 3rd Party classes, the Alchemist stands out as being incomprehensible.

As for the best, it's the Chaos Mage. It's always the chaos mage.

Edit: Hell, the ranger stands out as being worse than the monk. Monks get to make choices on their turn.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 20, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

CaptainPsyko posted:

Counterpoint: the Ranger is probably the best chassis for multiclassing out there right now. Also, Terrain Stunts are basically Swashbuckle Light for players that want that without the other complexities that a rogue adds. (Although why you'd want to do stunts, but be afraid of tracking momentum is beyond me.)

Oh yeah, I agree that it's a decent multi class. I just wish it had a little love. I guess the Druid addresses a lot of the lack of 'cool nature-y' things that I wished the Ranger had.

It's the only class that gets no inherent bonus for being itself, and that's an odd hole. No class features. And while it makes for a good beginner class, it never expands in complexity, which I feel a good beginner class does. Contrast with the 'simple option' Barbarian who gains more interesting choices as they ascend in tiers.

Terrain stunts would have made a good class feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

En Fuego posted:

Why do people care about Monks so much. The only time I see people flip their poo poo about classes is the Monk.

I mean, people complain about other things ... but when Monk drops it's like someone slapped your kid or something.

The monk has had a long and storied history as a class we wish was good and fun to play.

This Monk has a lot of things that seem designed to turn you off from playing it, while still being decently fun, and a lot of people are upset because it had the potential to be more.

If I have a player who sees the Monk, and says "Yeah! I'm going to be an ancient Tiefling Sensei who got into a Fistfight with the Orc Lord and lived!", I don't want mechanics to get in the way of that dream. I want him to feel as kickass as the Fighter or the Wizard or any other class.