Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Jackard posted:

Both that link and the one in the OP gives me "403 Forbidden"

It works for me and, presumably, Kenderama. It might be an issue on your end, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

So, how about that new playtest document, eh?

Edit: Nevermind. I think I know why I don't have it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

How is the monk in the current playtest? That's the class I'm still worried they might screw up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To the bestiary preorders, the playtest is up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you're still on the fence about this book...two words: Symbiotic Items. :getin:

e: Two more words: Gelatinous Dodecahedron :allears:

Took me a little while to realize you were talking about the bestiary.

That has been up for a while, I meant the 13 True Ways playtest material, that bestiary preorders get too, went up today.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did it? I'm looking at my Pelgrane page and it says the True Ways classes were last updated on Feb. 19th. Although I was in the Kickstarter, and didn't order it through the store page, so I technically don't have an order for it.

e: Just so I'm not confusing people more, I'm talking about the Monk/Commander/third one preview.

You should see "Download 13 True Ways Chaos Mage, Necromancer, & Occultist preview as zipped PDFs now." This playtest does not have updated versions of the Monk, Druid, or Commander to my disappointment, but does show off some cool, new classes. .

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I have that Chaos Mage/Necro/Occultist one. I thought people were saying there's a new Monk preview.

Basically I have no idea what everyone's talking about.

They are talking about the Chaos Mage/Necro/Occultist one. I didn't know that this was only for the new classes so I asked if the monk was changed while waiting on my copy. That is why we're talking about monks and not the new classes.

Also, how does everyone else feel about the "once per level" tags that a few abilities have? Personally, not a fan.

Covok
May 27, 2013

-Fish- posted:

Are the symbiotic items in the Bestiary or the 13tw draft?

The bestiary. Under the entry, Chuuls.

Covok
May 27, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I haven't played around with PCGen much for the last few years, but did a bit of customising back when I played 3.5. Last night I started modifying the 4E framework they have to handle 13A. The Barbarian seemed fairly straightforward (although I've just built a skeleton and need to put in feats, more abilities, etc), but the Bard is going to be a lot more complicated. Goon project?

I've never worked with PCGen, but I have prior experience programming. I could help out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which is odd, given that there's a monster (orc berzerker) that specifically says it can't be healed at a certain point.

Could be future proofing for monsters than can heal other monsters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: and I just got a KS update that 13 True Ways is almost done, you can pre-order it now, and backers will be getting PDFs soon! :woop:

According to my order page, the PDF will be available for download on June 30, 2014.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To anyone playing a ranger with the animal companion talent, in 13 True Ways, the animal companion talent is updated. The Druid's animal companion talent is the updated version of it and applies to the Ranger's talent as well. This means you can spend 1 talent on animal companion instead of 2. This gives you the initiate version of the talent. You can choose to spend two talents on it for the Adept version of the talent.

You can find further details about this on pages 41-3 in 13 True Ways.

Just thought people might miss this feature and might like to know about it if they are playing a ranger. You would only find this out if you were making a druid and checked out that talent.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 30, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ither posted:

Is there going to be a point where I can just buy PDFs of the Bestiary and True Ways? I'm not a fan of physical copies.

While I am not an authority on the subject, the base game was under a similar circumstance and then was later put up as a solo pdf. So, the same will likely occur for its supplements.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's possible to buy a 13-sided die?

No reason.

They exist, but buying them is another story. Maybe if you send enough letters to Lou Zoichii...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Meanwhile, Rob Heinsoo has plans for... racial feats. RACIAL FEATS. Not a word on new toys for martial classes. :negative: Why do all the talented people working on this system hate martial classes so much?
13th Age: Wielders of the Power of the Cosmos.

Actually, maybe someone can confirm this, but didn't Rob or John say that they were considering doing a book to give the simpler classes more options after 13TW was out? It was like a few months after launch that they said this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I'm planning on running a 13th Age game soon, with only one major houserule.

3d6 instead of 1d20.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I realize this means flatting out the curve for things like Flexible attacks and the like, does anyone have like, off the top of their head, what a 16+ or an 18+ or something should be instead?

The game, both from the GM and player's perspective, is very much modeled around a d20. If this were another d20 game, I'd say go for it. But, because of its focus on the d20 itself, I feel the change to the probabilities will not work without some serious tweaking.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since I'm also on the East Coast, I'll mention it should be on its way. I got mine a week ago.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I remember you were having trouble building the necromancer you wanted in the "20 dex or 18 str" thread. I'm not a character optimizer, but people who frequent thread might be able to help you build the character you were looking for as they are likely charops who are fans of this game. I should mention that I don't exactly remember the issue you were having.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yessod posted:

So, how broken would it be to:

1: Give the druid extra talents at 5th and 8th (or even just straight out from the start)
2: Let the Monk choose if they use Str or Dex for Attack and Damage

Doesn't seem too bad to me, and seems like it addresses a lot of concerns.

I really don't know alot about the Druid so I can't talk about that, but I pretty much run number 2 as a default houserule. That said, since that removes MAD, you might want to remove that extra +2 to an attribute they get since they can now just go STR/WIS or DEX/WIS (as it should have been in core) like everyone else. That said, I don't know if that fixes all their problems.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

The seeker class Captain Walker made seems straight up superior to the ranger if you want an archer type. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qkF-NADPPk0TwhFWdNV_xv77jiqNm4srJRCTSnoCwpI/edit

I hope you don't mind me jumping off this, but I am curious why, conceptually, a fighter and a ranger are two separate classes?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jade Mage posted:

I'm really new to 13th Age, and I was wondering... When you all are talking about monks and chaos mages, where are you pulling it from. 13 True Ways isn't out yet, is it?

If you preorder it from the pelgrane website, they give you the pdf version immediately. So we have the release version pdf. Also, if you pre-ordered the bestiary or backed it on kickstarter, you became part of the 13 True Ways playtest so that's how we knew about it before the preorder went up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've decided to revive something I was working on a little while after the game launched: improvements to the simpler classes. A lot of what I did early on was...problematic, but I've decided to salvage some of it and work it into something. I've got a draft of the Improved Fighter up. It's still rough and needs work. I'd appreciate any comments on it to those who are interested.

Edit: I should mention this: commenting is enabled. Also, most of the work was focused on the maneuver system, but talents were also tweaked.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 5, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

01011001 posted:

I'm pretty bad at figuring out how to do comments on gdocs so I'll just run down my quick read impressions here:

• Power Attack needs a little love, in talents. It's never been terribly good or interesting.
  • There's not much of a point in splitting Carve an Opening and Aim For the Weak Spot into two maneuvers. Also it's not a very good effect even combined.
  • Deadly Assault, Heavy Blows, and Precision Attack all do too similar a thing by default now (add 2/level damage vs add escalation damage vs add dex damage), except they aren't really balanced against one another without the Heavy Blows feat because 2/level (with the feat 3/level) outpaces the others very quickly.
  • Two-Weapon Pressure was already solid, it didn't terribly need to be better and simultaneously less and more restrictive. In general it's not a bad thing if some maneuvers work on "any miss", it's not like that's an uncommon trigger and it lets you gate more appropriate abilities to an attack that's not also doing appreciable damage that round.
  • On a related note I can understand wanting to strip away shield/two-weapon/two-handed maneuver baggage but there's little reason to use a shield or two weapons now - they all use the same maneuvers and extra damage is generally better than 1AC or rerolls on 2's. This is a system thing in general but I'm picking on it here because there were decent reasons to not always go two-handed with fighters unlike the default barbarian/paladin. If you care about this I'd approach the idea either from the overarching class end (give shield +defenses, do something with two weapons) or go the other direction with that and give each maneuver some little perk based on specific loadout (my preference).
  • Arrow to the Knee is kind of strange in that it applies a nonstandard condition, and one that asks for 3 move actions to do a thing at that. Maybe rejigger it so it uses a standard condition like stuck?

I like your suggestions and I've been working to address them though I am not really finished yet. Once I feel I've adequately addressed them, I'll get back to you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't mind reducing the number of ICONS, but why couldn't they do an even number? You know, so if, down the line, they even need to do a "roll for ICON" mechanic (fake edit: like with the Chaos Mage's Iconic spells) they don't have to make a work around.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm going to be running a game for a few friends who have never played an RPG before. I'm wondering if there are any good premade adventures for 2nd level characters. I have a bunch of really nice looking , printed 2nd level pregens already hence the choice of 2nd level.

Covok
May 27, 2013

S.J. posted:

'Make Your Own Luck', the Free RPG Day adventure, was made for 2nd level characters and even has 2nd level pregens in the back.

I've been looking for a copy of that, but I can't find it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

The organized play program, which is free to get into, has four level 2 adventures.

e: Make Your Own Luck was only available in physical format and only in stores for Free RPG Day.

One of my friends on skype suggested that as well. How is Crown of the Lich King?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Looking at it now, it might be a little long. They are interested in a one session affair. The level 3 ones are shorter. Is Tower of the Ogre Mage fun?

Edit: Or is there a trick to really consolidating Lich King? Like maybe only doing the last session or something?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ryven, is the Martial Artist not getting a third Epic Feat a typo or intentional?

Covok
May 27, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

I'm five monsters away from hitting the big 50 in my Monster Index, does anyone have any suggestions/requests/prompts?

How about Animate Hate? Aliens from beyond the stars in the style of the classic Grey? Pixies with attitude? A hivemind creature that takes on the form of a bunch of posh, Elizabethan people who only talk about little things and small topics -- like the weather -- to trick people into a false sense of security before striking (mook)? A monster version of the Chaos Mage with less bookkeeping and stones? An extremist faction of Forgeborn that act like the Cyberman from Doctor Who (or like the Borg)? The revived corpse of those who died in tragedy that are unaware of its true identity until the full moon rises and they go beserk? Psychics? A virus that travels through words that infects adventurers (perhaps using the bad word from the red caps mechanic)? Non-winged Dragons the size of rhinoceros that only speak in riddles?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 7, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

-Fish- posted:

I know how Ryven thinks and I'm 90% certian it's unintentional without even talking to him.

That's what I figured as well, but ya know what happens when you ASSume.

Edit: Well that and the same typo is on the Theruge. And the Dilettante. And the Eldcaller.

I think he may want to check all his pdfs for this typo.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 7, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's not like I'm insulting him or trying to be a dick. I'm just listing the ones where I noticed the typo. But, yeah, making a typo while pointing out a typo is ironic, I suppose.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think someone else has already said this, but, as a player, you are allowed to go "I'm not trying to dodge or otherwise negate this attack" and be hit without the enemy having to match or beat your AC. In a game that just uses point-buy, as someone who is playing a stalwart, you get greatness alot more often when your stats aren't inflated. Though, to be honest, I get A LOT more mileage out of power stunt and just generally having the strength of ten warriors. I love that class feature.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I guess, since we mentioned the monk's burning fortress and are talking about homebrew, I made an Improved Monk class to open up the build options for the class. It works off the base of the monk, but changes minor and major things (like MAD) to make it less restrictive. Any critiques would be appreciated. And, if I already posted this before and forgot and, therefore, seem obnoxious, my bad.

Obligatum VII posted:

C'mon, I know there are a lot of problems with my chronomancer class idea. I could use some feedback to spot the stuff I missed.

No one was amused by the notion of having your own time clones as an Icon relationship?

Also, I realize I should scale down the damage dice on paradox bolt a tier. It ought to be worse than ray of frost at 0 paradox, I didn't really think that one through.

I did find the idea of having time clones as an Icon relationship as a cool idea, but I remember my friend pointing out some math issues with your paradox mechanic. I remember chatting with him about how it was possible to abuse it to one-shot most monsters in the game. It's been a while, but it was related to the ability to add to your paradox freely. When I get home, I'll see if I can find the chat log or ask him if he can post his analysis. In addition, most combats end by turn 3 so borrow from the future's penalty doesn't really work. Wound procrastination's check also doesn't work for the combat ending pretty early factor as well. Borrow from the past isn't too useful as most combats ends early so banking actions generally wouldn't be too useful.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of which, what's the coolest OUT you've seen in your games?

Coolest may not be the word, but "literally Michael Cera."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Solomonic posted:

I have a player who's basically running Buzz Lightyear as Optimus Prime; he's a forgeborn paladin who's actually a toy belonging to a very young god. All the over the top, vaguely Warhammer-like battles against the Berzerker robots that he remembers are scenarios the god acted out with his toys, which is why all of them sound ridiculous. Unfortunately the toys were lost on a trip to the Dragon Empire and now a bunch of sentient war machines are running around saying Furmanisms and battling each other.

I got to say that I love that character concept. You got a cool player.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I have a person in my organized play group who loves playing the barbarian because she can consistently roll something like 6d10+4d8 damage or whatever sick die pool it is.

Do you guys roll when the die pool gets that big or do you just take the average? Or do you roll some and average the rest?

Solomonic posted:

PublicOpinion, have you considered selling a PDF or something with your monster designs? I would totally buy it if so; I busted out a Brain Trust in last week's session and it went over really well with the group.

Seconded, mate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I can definitely speak with authority that while the Ranger and Barbarian definitely are extremely simple, they're not weak. I'd even say that they're both extremely strong, but simple classes.

I was originally not very fond of either class but I've come around to recognizing their place in the game as such! They don't need to be particularly complex, because sometimes that's actually what people want. The one that I dislike still is Paladin, and to be fair it has its role now of being a good multiclass class, but I still don't like it much.

I thought paladins were supposed to be the best defenders? Am I wrong?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Ah. I haven't seen any of this in play yet, and I still have trauma from the 3.PF Fighter, so when I saw 'simple class' and 'doesn't have active abilities/complex rules' I thought 'Oh goddamnit not this again.'

If it is still a problem, their Glorantha supplement is planned to have complex, class variants of the barbarian and ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

While I do agree with your argument -- hell, two weapon master shouldn't even really be a talent --, if your player picks plants as their favored enemy, a good GM should put some more plant type enemies into the game. While it is more subtle than the OUT and ICONS, a ranger's choice for favored enemy is telling the GM how they want the adventure to play out, in a way.