Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I like it, my first instinct on what's missing is to probably toss the player a free point or two (or at least make the talent require a few points) in a 'poison' or 'alchemy' related background.

But then of course, my natural inclination is to start extrapolating and I end up thinking about it in terms that would make it the beginnings of a new class altogether... for instance, I love the daily, but I'm not sure about tying the key poison ability solely to a flexible melee; it's a useful mechanic to hang it on, but I feel like it just lacks the flavor that a 'poisoned weapon' needs, representing preparation and planning.

Personally, I'd do something like borrowing a page from the Rogues Momentum; a weapon is considered to be Poisoned or not Poisoned, and Poison is expended upon a successful attack that uses it. The player can start the fight with a poisoned weapon if the GM rules that they were ready, by rolling a successful related background check, or on a natural initiative roll of 16+. After that, they can poison their weapon with a quick action while not engaged with an enemy.

Goddamnit, I am going to end up kicking this around in my head for the next week and probably end up with a half baked, half written, terrible class because I am no good at game design.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GruntyThrst posted:

Do we have an official ruling on how Archmage is pronounced in the 13th Age?

Ark-Hmage. You have to pronounce the 'h'. It's very important.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So if the occultist isn't a necromancer tied to demons/devils instead of undead, what is the 30 second synopsis of the class?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The feat to get a free 5 with an icon is definitely underwhelming at once per level.

The 9th level occultist spell that literally allows the player to rewind a noncombat encounter? That poo poo is awesome, and once-per-level feels like the perfect frequency for altering reality to that sort of extent.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

FishFood posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the Warlock from the vault? Wizards as they're portrayed in D&D and 13th Age don't really work with the setting I've been working on for my group, and I'm wondering if the Warlock is pretty well balanced with, say, the Sorceror. Going for a somewhat more low-magic feel, and I like the flavor of pacts.

If your goal is low-magic, the warlock isn't going to deliver it; they feel stronger, not weaker than sorcerers, thanks to Curse/Blast Mastery.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Would goons be interested in a 13th Age dataset for PCGen or something similar? I've found that the excel spreadsheet on the Pelgrane site doesn't really meet my needs for having things on the character sheet and prettiness, and hasn't got a bunch of the extra classes (Stalwart etc) in it either.

On a related note to this:

Roll20 just rolled out their new Character Sheet update, and it's shiny and there's a 13th Age sheet up there, but it definitely needs some love; the layout is a bit lacking, and the fields for Talents/Spells just don't provide anywhere near enough text space, so if someone with some real CSS skills wanted to improve on it, I'm sure it'd be welcome.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Twibbit posted:

and they already merged the request, now to figure out how to do any of the other stuff people want my sheet to do :V

The number one thing I'd like is the ability to have enough space to paste the *effect* of the various spells or talents on my sheet along with their names.

Edit: if you wanted to add the ability to add a list of renamable fields similar to the attack ones, where we can set the dice/quantity/stats that would be extra rad.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I did something similar in Organized Play, in that you could spend a die to get a +2 to a roll but using a 5 meant there was some drawback.

I did a one-off where the GM did this, except it was a +4, and a 5 meant it came at the cost of a -2 on the next roll, whatever it might be.

Boring, but probably about as low maintenance as you could ever get.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Man Whore posted:

So I've been running a game of 13th age for my friends online (my first GM role ever) and it has been going swimmingly so far but something has been hard to wrap my head around and that is the system of movement. Its hard to really put it to numbers when your players insist on thinking in squares and I feel I am not being fair when I eyeball near and far. Can someone give me a good writeup on how to deal with the movement system while playing with a grid?

If you're working with a map that you can draw on, just sketch lines that delineate various 'zones' within the map. Moving within a zone is free/melee range. Between adjacent zones is a single action/nearby for ranged attacks. Two zones apart is far away.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Colt Cannon posted:

Alright, my roommate and I got a group together finally, and are currently playing some Pathfinder. My roommate is the GM, and we want to set it up so that we will have two games going, one he GMs, and one that I will GM.

I want to do 13th Age, I have never played it before, but it looks loving awesome, and I really like the way skills seem to be done.

How difficult is it to get a group to understand this game? We have one new guy, and the rest of us have experience with DnD 3.5, and Pathfinder.

I have never GMed before, how difficult would it be for me?

I really don't want to run just a Pathfinder game, or a DnD game, I want to do something different, and this really looks like it will fulfill that desire.

Pretty easy, so long as you can get people to buy into the improv-centric spirit of the game. If anyone in your group has ever taken an Improv class, just tell them that the core principle in 13th Age is "Yes, And..." and that if they can justify what they're doing base on their character sheet and the situation, it'll probably work - or at least be interesting.

The toughest part of playing 13th Age with folks who are super used to 3.5/Pathfinder is that they immediately jump to thinking that the game will fall apart when they set their backgrounds to +5 Batman and fail to really grok the collaborative world building spirit that's inherent in the game. If you can get them to bring their heads around that, the nuts and bolts dice mechanics will be super familiar to them, while discarding all the annoying poo poo that everybody hated anyway. (:argh: Grapple Rules!)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Colt Cannon posted:

Also how exactly do the skills work? Like you said +5 Batman, what would that even mean? They get +5 to Disguise, Climb, Knowledge (science?), Stealth, Intimidate, and what else? Is there a limit to what all a background can cover?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473530&pagenumber=119&perpage=40#post420375158

Backgrounds provide whatever you can justify them providing. This is less of a big deal than a Pathfinder player tends to think it is.

Grappling rules are basically nonexistent:

quote:

Grabbed
Some monsters grab you. Generally they grab you after a successful hit. Most monsters can only grab one creature at a time, but there are exceptions. A creature can let go of a creature it is grabbing as a free action.
Individual monsters may add extra effects to their grab, but here are the basics: when you’re grabbed you are engaged with the creature grabbing you and you can’t move away unless you teleport, somehow pop free first, or successfully disengage. Unfortunately, your disengage checks take a –5 penalty unless you hit the creature that is grabbing you the same turn that you’re trying to disengage. In other words, when you attack a creature grabbing you, it’s easier to get away from it.
If you are smaller than the creature that is grabbing you, it can move and carry you along with no problem. If you are the same size or larger, it has to let go of you if it wants to move.
Grabbed creatures can’t make opportunity attacks. That also applies if the creature grabbing you decides to let go and move away from you; it doesn’t have to disengage or take an opportunity attack from you, it just leaves you behind.
Grabbed creatures can’t use ranged attacks, although melee and close attacks are fine.
The creature grabbing you generally gets a +4 attack bonus against you, so you’ll want to get away unless you’re super macho

We don’t like using grabs unless it’s the core of what a monster is about, and even then we may opt for different attacks that accomplish something similar. Don’t feel any obligation to allow anyone to make grabs, and don’t use these rules for just any old attempt to hold on to someone. These rules cover serious claw- and tentacle- and pincer-aided holds for monsters that are big enough to pick people up. The rules are more interesting when they are an exception, something that makes some big monsters scary, rather than rules you have to worry about whenever you fight an ogre.
Puny grabs: We don’t want general grappling rules. If you decide to allow normal PCs and monsters to grab hold of people, try something like this: their puny grabs are like real grabs but they don’t prevent opportunity attacks, don’t provide an attack bonus, and only apply a –2 disengage check penalty.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 11, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VanSandman posted:

So I am having a hell of a time playing a Paladin in a friends campaign, and I wanted to ask something - he mentioned there was some talk of the paladin being underpowered. Is this true? Because honestly I've been hitting harder than anyone and more consistently not getting horribly hurt, too. Rarely having more than one combat a session tends to make things a bit unbalanced - should we keep track of in-game days instead for the purposes of 'Smite Evil' uses?

The Paladin isn't so much underpowered as wanting for a bit more complexity and a few more choices. It's probably the least versatile class.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

That or Monk/Sorcerer, OUT: I'm the Avatar. Except that bending is part of the martial art, not a separate piece. Maybe if there's a feat for "you can cast a spell and not lose your place in the form hierarchy" it would work.

Allow Gather Power to work on monk attacks and not break flow.

Between that and the Dragon's Leap spell, you basically have made an anime.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Having since picked up 13TW and studying the multiclass rules, I put together a document for multiclassing the Theurge, Eldcaller, Field Commander, Lurker, Martial Artist and Dilettante. I'll make a PDF of this later but I want to finish up the Seeker first.

quote:

"It is possible, though, to use Dilettante multiclassing to triple-class a character,"

Oh god, this gave me the idea of a Bard/Ranger with Jack of Spells, Fey Queen's Enchantments and Ranger Ex Cathedral.

Best bad character ever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

head58 posted:

I'm really liking all these classes except the Occultist. I like the interrupt spells angle, but I'm not sure what they were going for with the flavor or why you have to be the only one. It just doesn't seem to hold together conceptually.

Because having one Occultist at a table is bad enough to adjucate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, I've been thinking on using 13th Age as a base for a game set in The Elder Scrolls setting, specifically on the province of Morrowind. Thing is, I have no idea how to handle designing races. I'm fairly new to 13th Age, so I don't know exactly how to design racial feats and bonuses that mimic the setting's races in a way that would not upset game balance. Some of the stuff from the games will have to be flat out nerfed; some races have things such as 100% immunity to damage from ice magic and things like that. I think I can shift some of the existing feats around, but some races don't really fit any of them. So, any help would be really cool and appreciated.

You should be able to just reskin the existing 13th age races and get 75% or more of the way there;

High Elves are High Elves/Altmer
Wood Elves are Wood Elves/Bosmer
Dark Elves are Dark Elves/Dunmer
Half-Orcs are Orcs/Orsimer
Half Elves are Bretons
Dwarves become Nords
Humans become Imperials and/or Redguards.

You can reflavor the Gnomish minor magic abilities (Arguably a better fit for Breton than half-elves) and Halfling evasion (I guess it could work as a Redguard racial, or even Khajiit) to fit whoever you want as well.

That leaves you with just Argonians and Khajiit that you don't have accounted for, and there's a bunch of races on the vault that you could reflavor if need be.

Personally, for Khajiit, I'd take Halflings, and replace small size with the ability to use "One Handed Melee Weapons" without penalty regardless of class, so long as that weapon is claws. For Rogues, Claws count as Daggers. It's a tiny caster buff, and flavor for anyone else.

For Argonians, there's a Lizardman race on the vault, but honestly, I think This particular flavor of Kobold more or less fits the Argonian flavor perfectly, right down to the sobriquet's meshing well with Argonian naming conventions.

Don't think of it in terms of how close a match the specific racial powers are to the racial powers in the actual ES games; think of it in terms of how close of a match the racial powers are with the *flavor* of the specific races. i.e. the Dwarf racial's "YOU CAN'T KILL ME" fits perfectly with a Nord; ditto the various Elven racials. The rest, you can just treat as flavor.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 29, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SunAndSpring posted:

Decent enough. I was just worried it would feel more like "13th Age with a Morrowind hat" than "Morrowind that happens to be using 13th Age". I assume that retooling the Icons into the Factions of Morrowind will work decently enough.

If you really feel the need to incorporate he various elemental resistances, allow people to apply a bonus equal to a racially themed background to saving throws and defenses against $Element.

So if the Nord Barbarian has a "Mountain Scout" background, he can apply it against frost spells, and the Dunmer can apply "Ashlander Tribesman +2" against fire or whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Covok posted:

To anyone playing a ranger with the animal companion talent, in 13 True Ways, the animal companion talent is updated. The Druid's animal companion talent is the updated version of it and applies to the Ranger's talent as well. This means you can spend 1 talent on animal companion instead of 2. This gives you the initiate version of the talent. You can choose to spend two talents on it for the Adept version of the talent.

You can find further details about this on pages 41-3 in 13 True Ways.

Just thought people might miss this feature and might like to know about it if they are playing a ranger. You would only find this out if you were making a druid and checked out that talent.

They also call it out right on the first page of the "Classes" chapter, under the big bold heading of Ranger Update along with the other rules updates and clarifications and general New Rules that aren't specific to only one of the six new classes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It kind of is. One of my players used it for one session and I wasn't kidding when I said they need to make an app or something for all the rolling and referencing you have to do each turn.

Eh, you can completely eliminate all chart referencing that slows down play except for getting crit if you want. Just don't take the three warp talents. The player should be able to handle their iconic rolls and, if needed, get the Chaos Blessing numbers out in-between turns, and their stolen spells at the start of the session while everyone else is sorting icon rolls.

The Warp talents, however, are definitely a mess of charts and tables and oh god so much to keep track of.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I joked about this last week, but holy poo poo, a Bard/Ranger with Jack of Spells, Ranger Ex Cathedra, and Fey Queens Enchantments actually works and is kind of awesome.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Archer fighter flexible attacks seem like a really good spot to put status effects on flexible attacks; natural 20? Oh, you hit him right in the eye, he's blinded (Dazed and Constrained?) for one round. 16+? Once per battle, you can hit his hamstring and he's stuck until your next turn. Natural even roll? Once a day, that's a hit right to the sword hand, target is Hampered, save ends.

(Etc. Etc. Etc.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Illvillainy posted:

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the best/worst designed 13A classes (official and 3rd party) then?

Worst: Monk.

Best: most of the others are pretty great. Bards are rad I guess?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

If you include 3rd Party classes, the Alchemist stands out as being incomprehensible.

As for the best, it's the Chaos Mage. It's always the chaos mage.

Edit: Hell, the ranger stands out as being worse than the monk. Monk's get to make choices on their turn.

Counterpoint: the Ranger is probably the best chassis for multiclassing out there right now. Also, Terrain Stunts are basically Swashbuckle Light for players that want that without the other complexities that a rogue adds. (Although why you'd want to do stunts, but be afraid of tracking momentum is beyond me.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
High Weirdness owns.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Has anyone played a chaos mage before, and if so how do they work out in practice?

To provide more content than just "High Weirdness Rules"...

I'm the guy playing a Chaos Mage in Rae's game, and the main thing is that as a player, you want to have the book on hand with the 2-5 tables you need bookmarked at all times. Beyond that, it really doesn't slow down play, and you're always able to do something that contributes. Basically, because you 'draw' your spell category at the end of your turn (as well as rolling for any relevant Warp or High Weirdness), you have the entire initiative cycle to spend consulting your big list of Iconic spells of spells stolen from other classes or whatever before it comes back around to your turn, so you should be able to take your turn just as quickly as anyone else. (Unless of course, you happen to roll a nat 20 on initiative or something, in which case, you'll maybe slow things down a tiny bit.) The various spells are generally pretty powerful, but also not particularly precise, which means it's hard to be super-clutch without being lucky, but makes you amazing for, ironically, flattening out the randomness of everything else that happens.

And really, High Weirdness does rule. Some of the effects are pure flavor, others are mechanical in a way that causes fun strategic shifts (I'm quite fond of the one that swaps PD and MD). They're yet to put our group over a barrel, and admittedly, I'm yet to trigger any of the ones that force me to stretch my acting chops however, so ask me again after another month or two of sessions about it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Serf posted:

Rather than making tactical maps, would it be acceptable to just throw up a piece of art that looks like the place where the fight is happening?

Absolutely; just turn off the grid, and use the paint tools in Roll20 to draw circles as needed to denote things that are 'Nearby' versus 'Far Away' or whatever needs designating. Or just rule it as needed on the fly.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay so this one race gets +4 to both Strength and Constitution going completely at odds to normal 13th Age races, in exchange it gets one fewer talent. Now the race seems perfect for an epitome of strength and manliness, like the Stalwart. But the Stalwart gets a bonus to either Strength or Constitution, whichever you don't get from your race. So for a race that gives a bonus to both, what would I do?

Don't play a totally broken home-brew race that pretty clearly wasn't thought through to be in line with the established balance of 13th Age?

Seriously, giving up a talent for +4 to a stat is not a fair trade. Even if the net 'power' could be measured mathematically to wash out from that, having enough talents to really build out a full set of options for your character is important unless you just want to basic attack all the time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sefer posted:

Yes it is; it has a higher minimum and higher average, even if it doesn't have a higher maximum. I'm pretty sure 1d12 advances to 2d6 in 4e, and I thought it did in 3.X as well, though I couldn't be sure at all about that.

1d12 goes to 3d6 in 3.x.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

01011001 posted:

Wouldn't using Vance on druid spells violate the whole no-crossing-the-streams multiclass thing?

Personally, I'd charge an Adventurer feat and roll with it, same as using fighter flexibles on a rangers double attack or whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Swashbuckle all day e'rry day.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

waderockett posted:

Moon Design Productions just announced 13th Age in Glorantha by Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet. Kickstarter coming soon!

!!!!!!!!!

Welp. This is amazing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

head58 posted:

I should probably be crystal clear that it was by no means a request...

Although a friend mentioned wanting to play a glam rock-type fantasy one shot yesterday and I immediately started plotting out who I would use for Icons (Bowie, Bolan, Johansen, Pop, Ferry, Quatro, Curie)

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. (Though I'd probably add Gary Glitter and or Johnny Thunders.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

head58 posted:

I thought I'd typed Glitter in there. And I'm an idiot for omitting Thunders.

We'd also need some Evil icons for the game. Hatchet, Skynyrd, Purple. And some Neutral ones like Jagger or Simmons.

Jimmy Page is basically a ready made drop in Diabolist replacement.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PublicOpinion posted:

Does anyone have any 3rd level pregens just laying around? I think I'll try and scare up a 4-person group tomorrow to test some of the adventure with Skype+Roll20.

There are level 1-10 pregens for every class on THe vault IIRC.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lenoon posted:

Wade, why is ASH LAW written as ASH LAW and not Ash Law? Is he the literal embodiment of the tree legal system?

Is ASH LAW a sovereign citizen or Freeman who only enters contracts under the guidelines of the UCC and the ancient principals of Maritime Law and Black Letter Law, who believes in the arcane potency of CAPITAL LETTERS?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's a little easier to get your head around icons if you remember that they, along with relationships, functionally replace alignment.

So using random local NPCs important to your plot as icons understates their role and importance dramatically. What you should be doing is mapping out the icon relationships of those NPCs, just as your PCs do, and using that to inform their interactions.

Honestly, given how directly involved in the world pathfinders deities are, you could just replace icons with gods 1:1 and you'd probably be fine.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

If you take a Chaos Mage spell you start drawing stones like a Chaos Mage to see when you can use it.

If you had to allow it, this is how I'd do it, but honestly, remember that a chaos mage doesn't get to draw a new stone if he doesn't cast a chaos mage spell on his turn, which means if you only jack one spell and draw the wrong stone, you'd never get to cast it unless you either lived by chaos mage rules all the time, (at which point, why not just play a chaos mage with all of the spell jacking talents that they have - there's more to the class than high weirdness), or come up with some other trigger for drawing stones with your GM.

Personally, I'd just say "Chaos Magic works differently. There's a reason the class description says that wizards and sorcerers make fun of them. You can't hijack these spells."

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

This 'lawyers communing with evil things' trope is slowly becoming 13th Age canon, methinks.

Hey now! The lawyer I played for a campaign a while back was decidedly non evil and didn't commune with any powers!

(It was a bard with all of the abilities renamed as either nonsense legal terminology or gladiatorial grandstanding. OUT: I am the only Capital Public Defender in Axis, a city where capital crimes are adjudicated by Trial By Combat)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I find it really interesting that the 3PP classes most beloved by the community - both here and other places - are NOT spell users like the Alchemist, Warlock and Witch. (Dilettante can cast spells, but really they're flex attacks with a few self-buffs; Theurge is a fake spellcaster) This might be One Unique Thing to the 13th Age community; seems like a lot of favorite 3PP stuff in the remainder of the F20 tradition are spellcasters.

I think a big part of it is just that the 13th Age spell lists are all so much smaller.

Most 20-sided games use the massive common spell list model from 3E, and those spell lists are just absolutely gargantuan. It means that an infinitely prepared Schroedinger's wizard who has every spell in his spell books and scrolls on hand of all the good stuff is essentially omnipotent and can do anything.

By contrast, in 13th Age, in combat, casters can Do Damage roughly as well as anyone else (some better, some worse, maybe a bit better net, but not by much regardless), and... use backgrounds, the same as everyone else.

I mean, I guess there's also ritual casting, but ritual casting is sufficiently freeform that it roughly falls into the same category as backgrounds as "If you can justify why this solves your problem, you can make it work," and if you can't, the GM should at least have you failing forward anyway.

There just isn't the same range of situations modeled in the game for which a group without, say, a Wizard, is fundamentally unprepared. So long as you have enough resources in the party to ensure that people have access to their recoveries when they need them (whether through potions, or a character with healing spells, or whatever), and some means of controlling combat (and a tanky martial is just as good at this as a wizard casting lockdowns - or at least, different enough to not be worthless), you're going to be fine. That's a big change from other games, and it means that playing Martial classes is going to be a bit more popular.

Oh, and also, I suspect it's because I think it's easier to design a martial class - there's generally fewer abilities to design because spell lists are hard, and I think a lot of people have glommed onto just how much 13th Age makes use of things like specific results on the D20 to adjust outcomes for martials. (Flexible attacks, dual wielding rules, etc.) It's the fun new thing to build a class around.

(I kind of wonder what variant Wizard would look like with reduced spell casting - same spell list, but maybe -1 known and +5 to recharge difficulty, max 19?)/talents but Flexible Attacks a la the fighter for those of his spells which require an Attack Roll.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Obligatum VII posted:

It's a chronomancer/paradox mage style class and almost all the talents would revolve around messing with action economy, they'd just be doing it in different ways. However, my concern is that action economy manipulation of any sort is extremely powerful, thus I want to restrict it to keep it from getting out of hand.

Pick one, make it baseline. Add a talent that replaces it with the other one, and if it isn't slightly stronger or more interesting anyway, then provide a small bonus that synergies in the talent (as a feat tree or whatever).

Come up with several other fun and interesting talents that can work with both.