Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

No, I've tried it on multiple browsers and devices. Could the IP be blocked or something?

Power cycle your router, some routers have a cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

New thread looks great, Kenderama. It's really easy to tell you put a fair bit of time into it.

Few things: Lurker was co-developed by Ryven and me.

You may wanna include the Eldcaller and the Werebeast, I'll post the links when I get off work in a few hours. They're on my Drive and the Android app doesn't give me the link to them.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This really makes me wish I hadn't completely forgotten to back the Kickstarter until it was too late, or had the money to preorder the Bestiary. Wanna see that Occultist and the bitter Monk paragraph super bad.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I played one for a bit and they're actually a little too strong. They're more consistent across encounters and tougher than a Barbarian and have more control over the use of their abilities as well as do more damage than a Fighter.

They're incredibly fun to play, though, and their moves are ridiculous in the best ways. It's a well-made class, just a tad overpowered.

Seconding this. It's ever so slightly overpowered, but everything it does is such a spectacle that everyone at the table thoroughly enjoys watching it all happen.

It is a class that can wield orcs as ranged weapons. What else do you need?

In all seriousness, I think the sheer awesomeness of the class could be a problem for some groups or players so bear that in mind. I tend to treat player mechanic design with two aspects in mind: combat economy and spotlight economy. The Stalwart has the potential to steal the spotlight a lot more than most other classes, but I've run for a group that absolutely loves the antics of their Stalwart.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Are the symbiotic items in the Bestiary or the 13tw draft?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Sefer posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about it; the Stalwart seems to have the same power level and plot-altering capability as any spellcaster, and he only seems a little problematic when compared with martial characters because they tend to be a bit behind spellcasters.

This is a very good point, in retrospect I'm gonna have to agree. I hadn't considered this because... well it's a melee class. They're not supposed to be cool.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Jackard posted:

Ahem, may I refer you to my avatar :colbert:

I'm... not actually familiar with the reference.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Starting a new campaign this week which may end up being nothing but 13 True Ways classes. Occultist, Druid, and Monk.

It's also looking like each player may wind up being one of the three variants of Werebeast, which is doing my ego no end of good.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

HomegrownHydra posted:

Let us know how it turns out. I'm particularly interested in how the occultist handles in play since it has really unusual mechanics. I wonder if it would be better in a larger party since there would be more potential triggers.

I'll be recording it, so I can just share each iteration of the game here.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Spincut posted:

Gotcha, thanks.

How are they? Is the Monk improved at all?

The monk is better in play than it looks on paper if my last game is any indicator.

Round 1 - Minor damage
Round 2 - Moderate damage
Round 3 - Kills there mobs.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Awww yiss. Just found out I get to go to Gencon for a day this year. Wife's parents will be in town and volunteered to watch the kids.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Kenderama posted:

Now to figure out which 13th Age game to play in. :)

Also what day I'm going. Also what stuff I'm working on to bring.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

When are you running this game and can my wife and I join?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I also like the idea of Monk/Occultist (assuming you can multiclass Occultist, of course). Seems the Monk might run into trouble multiclassing since it needs to keep its cycle of opener, flow, finisher going to get to the really good attacks and so off-action classes like the Commander and Occultist (maybe Paladin?) would be ok fits. Monk/Sorcerer is fun, but casting spells seems like it would really throw off the Monk's groove.

How Ste Lah of Ten Tigers Got Her Groove Back.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You should be able to just reskin the existing 13th age races and get 75% or more of the way there;

High Elves are High Elves/Altmer
Wood Elves are Wood Elves/Bosmer
Dark Elves are Dark Elves/Dunmer
Half-Orcs are Orcs/Orsimer
Half Elves are Bretons
Dwarves become Nords
Humans become Imperials and/or Redguards.

You can reflavor the Gnomish minor magic abilities (Arguably a better fit for Breton than half-elves) and Halfling evasion (I guess it could work as a Redguard racial, or even Khajiit) to fit whoever you want as well.

That leaves you with just Argonians and Khajiit that you don't have accounted for, and there's a bunch of races on the vault that you could reflavor if need be.

Personally, for Khajiit, I'd take Halflings, and replace small size with the ability to use "One Handed Melee Weapons" without penalty regardless of class, so long as that weapon is claws. For Rogues, Claws count as Daggers. It's a tiny caster buff, and flavor for anyone else.

For Argonians, there's a Lizardman race on the vault, but honestly, I think This particular flavor of Kobold more or less fits the Argonian flavor perfectly, right down to the sobriquet's meshing well with Argonian naming conventions.

Don't think of it in terms of how close a match the specific racial powers are to the racial powers in the actual ES games; think of it in terms of how close of a match the racial powers are with the *flavor* of the specific races. i.e. the Dwarf racial's "YOU CAN'T KILL ME" fits perfectly with a Nord; ditto the various Elven racials. The rest, you can just treat as flavor.

I've been running a campaign loosely set in the Elder Scrolls setting on and off for a while now and I'd say this is probably the best way to do the traditional Elder Scrolls races. You can also work in Tieflings as Dremora. Aasimar can easily be your occasional "half-divine Mortal" that you find in the setting.

Dragonspawn could hail from the land of Akavir, Steelborn can be Dwemer automatons that gained sentience or were taken over by the soul that powers them. Hell, the Werebeast race I wrote fits nicely too, there's all kinds of wereanimals up in this setting. On the other end of things (and at the risk of plugging content I had a hand in too much) if someone wanted to play a Vampire Lord I'd point them at the Lurker.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if I shouldn't just go Fighter/Bard, and take the spelljack thing.

Basically, I just want to make a character whose gimmick is that he's like a stereotypical big dark bad evil looking type, a tiefling even, who also has the ability to use a big dark evil magical attack at least occasionally, but mainly just hits guys with his big stupid sword. But he's actually a really nice guy! If I went that path, maybe Paladin/Bard might be better though, since then the Charisma modifier could be used towards smites evil, and he wouldn't have to have a d8 instead of a d10 Big, Evil-looking Blade.

I'd just ask the DM if you can play a straight Fighter or Paladin and spend one of your Talents on a modified version of Spell Jack. Paladins can already spend a talent to get Cleric spells after all.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

IT BEGINS posted:

What do you think the best way to run an extended endgame is at the moment? I was thinking of running something similar to E6/E8 in 3.5, just giving out another feat every half-level, and maybe a talent every few levels.

Ryven and I had a lengthy chat about this at one point a while back. We came to the conclusion that the best way to do post-10 game play is to restart at level one and scale level one monsters and other threats up to match your newfound glory.

Congratulations, you are now a level one deity. Have fun fighting that level 3 world world parasite. That level 8 dragon that killed your buddy a while back? He's so puny compared to you that he's part of a Mook pool at best. By himself don't even bother rolling, he's dead.

To show a bit of supermortal potential each character gets bonus stuff from a class of their choosing, although I don't quite remember how we determined that to work. I think there may have been talk about an alternative of giving the characters a free Talent from that new spell book everybody is talking about too.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Being a fantasy deity would kinda suck, though, I think. It's sort of like having a kid, except that you have several thousand of them instead. You have to give all your clerics their spells and listen to all these mortals' prayers and worst of all, forget flexibility. Unless, o thou Wizard, you happen to work out some good deal where you get to be the god/goddess of magic, you're probably getting stuck with a single type of magic in your domain like Fire or Illusion or something. Typecasting kills your career.

Nah, a level 1 deity would be somebody like Hercules. Powerful beyond the Ken of mortals, but pales in comparison to Level 12 deities like Zeus.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Arena Fighter was the best thing ever along with the Brawler.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Alternatively, dump his books and make him sit at Smiling Sammy G's lunch table.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Sammy is always happy to have someone new to talk to. And he'll totally be impressed that your mom gave you Pringles.

Yeah but he never blinks and he's always breathing through his mouth. Plus he always smells like cooking oil. I hear it's because he's got a bag of freezer aisle tater tots in his backpack that he snacks on when nobody's looking.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Oh my god that Lurker is a Forgeborn?! That's so cool.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Druid is "Jack of all trades, master of none" personified. It's not exceptional at anything it's doing but it does have a whole hell of a lot of options. I have a friend hopping in on my next game (whenever I can actually manage to get it off the ground) who is building a Druid as a literal Red Mage and it's more or less a perfect conversion.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

It's a 3rd party supplement. If you don't like it don't use it. Myself I think it sounds badass and can't wait to play a fighter who can use time spells and poo poo.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ryven and I are working on several new melee classes. The amount of cackling can be compared to that which happened when we were working on the Lurker.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Built my character for Ryven's Tales campaign. Playing a very old Drow, and all his backgrounds are rumors about his past.

They say he’s actually the brother of the Great Gold Wyrm

Man at the pub said he fought against the Wizard King

You know that holy symbol he wears? It’s actually a key that’ll open any lock.

I heard he trained the Crusader

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Yup, should be strength with taking the Trickster needed to use DEX.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So I'm unexpectedly going to GenCon next Saturday, the wife got passes from a client.

While I'm there, any of you folks interested in playtesting some new Lurker options, as well as the early betas of a couple classes Ryven and I are working on?

The new classes are the Juggernaut and the Dreadnought

The Juggernaut is like the Barbarian, minus the latter's finesse and subtlety. The Dreadnought is the "fear warrior" archetype, using his powerful dark aura to lay curses on enemies in combat.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Captain Walker posted:

Because I'm some kind of loving insane person, while I wait for Ryven to sexify and PDF my first homebrew class, I've started work on a Battlemind. Story-wise it fills a similar niche to the Stalwart but mechanically it uses a per-battle consumable resource tentatively named "Action Points". From the current fluff:

I'm a big fan of this. The battlemind was one of my favorite 4e classes.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Anyone got any advice on which is more fun to play out of monk or stalwart?

Stalwart, always.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I found this Lurker class on the 13th age vault site and I was wondering if it actually is as overpowered as it reads?

Ryven and I actually wrote that. Ryven did the math on it a while back, and while I don't remember the numbers I remember the results.

At level ten The Lurker does slightly better single target damage than the Barbarian, but the Barbarian can do the same damage to multiple targets pretty reliably. The Rogue does significantly better single target damage than the Lurker. The Lurker comes ahead in utility and mobility.

If you're gonna be at Gencon today by any chance I can run a demo for you, I've got a ton of convention sheets for 13th Age, including the Lurker and the (still in development) Juggernaut and Dreadnought.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Nice, thanks! Sadly I'm not at Gencon, I'm trapped in the UK. I really liked the flavour of the class a whole lot and I thought of a bunch of possible characters it could work really well for, I was just worried cause some of the powers looked pretty great, but I still have trouble like fully understanding the actual gameplay power differences between talent and power based characters in actual practice.

I'll be the first to admit that Crawstep is by far the most powerful tool in the Lurker's arsenal. It's one of those powers that a DM has to keep in mind when designing an encounter, but when I run I really like those kinds of powers on my players.

"This guy can teleport a lot. Better include some hard to reach ranged guys for him to fight so that power can really shine."

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

LongDarkNight posted:

Just back from the 13th Age Year One panel. Not a lot to report. The game is going strong and from what Rob and Simon said they expect that to continue. ASH LAW and GMS indicated that Shards of the Broken Sky and Eyes of the Stone Thief will be available soon. They have an artist working on a music soundtrack for 13th Age which includes an escalation die theme song.

Some stuff about the Glorantha book in reponse to my question about revisiting the simple classes. There will be new talents that give a wide array of options to those classes. Rob also admitted to the issues and he is addressing the amount of talents for simple classes. ASH LAW had also said in the GM panel yesterday that the Icons in Glorantha have been reduced to 7 and are sort of fusions of the existing ones.

Rob also talked about the monthly subscriptions. Rather than dropping splat books full of feats and talents he'll use this format to release them at a slower rate and fine tune as feedback comes in. They made it sound like there would be published compilations at some later date.

Someone asked about other campaign settings or an expansion on the world outside the Dragon Empire. This was basically said to be so far in the future it wasn't on the drawing board.

I was there too, fantastic panel. I'm the guy who asked about the owlbear dance. Hung out and got drinks with ASH LAW after the panel, we're now doing a kickstarter with Ryven for a setting based around the classes Ryven and I have been working on, including the Lurker.

Swing by the downtown Marriott and say hi, I'm sitting at a table with DiceGoddess/formerly-thedandmom on the 2nd floor. In front of ballroom 7.

Edit: I'm up here til 8.
Edit: poo poo, guy beneath is right. Fixed.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 16, 2014

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

PublicOpinion posted:

Who wrote the Dilettante? Djw175 played one and it seemed pretty cool and fun.

That one would be RyvenCedrylle's work. He spent the better part of a campaign playtesting and finetuning it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

From the books, Commander or Bard. Maybe a ranger built for the purpose. I could see Ryven and -Fish-'s Eldcaller working really well with some refluffing as well.

That's actually pretty close to the mental image I've always had of the typical Eldcaller. They have this whole "divine power source without the deities" thing going on that stems from the reverence of their honored ancestors which I didn't write into the class summary because I wanted the class to be as setting neutral as possible.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I have a challenge for you dudes and dudettes.

Outline the class, race, and class talents of character with the OUT "I'm a motherfucking dragon."

Only rule is you can't take the Dragonspawn race. Listing the the powers or spells is bonus points.

Go.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Covok posted:

Ryven, is the Martial Artist not getting a third Epic Feat a typo or intentional?

I know how Ryven thinks and I'm 90% certian it's unintentional without even talking to him.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Covok posted:

That's what I figured as well, but ya know what happens when you ASSume.

Edit: Well that and the same typo is on the Theruge. And the Dilettante. And the Eldcaller.

I think he may want to check all his pdfs for this typo.

I'll let him know, he's at a con right now. I KNOW it's not intentional for the Eldcaller.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Covok posted:

It's not like I'm insulting him or trying to be a dick. I'm just listing the ones where I noticed the typo. But, yeah, making a typo while pointing out a typo is ironic, I suppose.

Confirmed accidental, Martial Artist gets feats like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

If anybody wants to play I'm starting a game tonight. Got room for 2 more players. Play over Hangout and Roll20 probably round 9pm EST.

If you want in email me shiniba at gmail

Edit: Full up

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 14, 2014