Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Getsuya posted:

VP is this game's way of saying 'You're not solving this mission the way we want you to'. It's still very possible to go through missions your own way and take your time if you miss the 'correct' way, but it's pretty darn annoying. I love the story and art and classes and music of this game but I just kept giving up because I'm not good enough of a strategist to figure out what they wanted me to do and it was annoying following one of those step-by-step guides that literally tells you exactly where to move on what turn and what to do. There was no happy medium.

While certain aspects of map design are definitely WAXF biggest flaw, I never really felt the game wasn't cluing me in on what it intended me to do. Although occasionally doing it my own way was actually simpler, just grindy or needlessly risky.

Anyway, much to say but not without getting ahead of ourselves. Love the game, following with interest, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Picayune posted:

Oh, man, I bought this (because I love the Wild ARMs series like whoa) but I never finished it because I got bogged down in unnecessary grinding. Now I can finally find out how it ends! :allears:

XF is one of those games that only gets better as you get further (although in this case it's because the worst aspects of the overall design are front-loaded), so depending on exactly where you quit I'd advocate picking it back up.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Glazius posted:

Has every ARM got the infinite diversity of class change inside it, or is that just the party and everybody else is factory-locked?

The general implication is that each arm has a particular class/set of classes within it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

ARM stands for something different in each game, even the ones where they're functionally the same thing. Since they're different stuff, they also have differing availabilities and ease of use. The first required biological compatibility that was exceedingly rare in humans, the second as I recall was something anyone could train to use, third required a sort of mental synchronization so you had to train quite a while to use a particular ARM, fourth there were genetic/biochemical markers for how compatible someone was with them and a substantial portion of the backstory was gene therapy to make more ARMs people. Don't remember what ARMs actually were in the fifth game, and in this game it's back to basically anyone can train to use them.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I tend to want to take a while to decide how I feel about a character, but Labyrinthia just rubs me the wrong way in every way. I'm hoping she develops into something more than :downs: as gently caress, because ugh.

Worry not, Labby's just off kilter now, she's much faster on the uptake with most stuff.
Although at least one trait on display in this scene is pretty consistent for her.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

PFlats posted:

So based on what I've seen in earlier screenshots, you start with pretty much all the Original Commands per that you'll ever get? They don't unlock via class level?

Yup. It's like they played FFT and said "wait, why the gently caress am I having to spent JP to learn Cure and Protect? It's a White Mage, they should always have that! I want to spend my time mix and matching skills!" And so WAXF is a game mostly about finding weird interactions between support skills.

Anyway, one of the strongest areas for XF, at least to me, is how they made the story units stand out. A lot of times in these sorts of games they're just some bonuses on top of a generic unit, where here they're fully functional and distinct classes with their own strengths and weaknesses meaning it's an actual decision beyond CP investment whether to use generics or a story characters (spoilers we do get more story characters).

Anyway, on both 1-3 and the prison escape, I found it more fun to just kill poo poo. The key in both cases is Clarissa's Sacrifice skill. It is unique among magic skills in that it ignores defense, and between that and its high base power it gives no fucks about these Intentionally-Overlevelled-Enemies-So-You-Run maps. Have someone available to toss healing items at her and smite thy foes.

the other fun skill we just got is Levin's Cancel Strike. from the description you'd htink it basically just zeroes out the enemy's turn gauge. What it actually does is apply a stackable buff that negates the enemy's turn next time it would act. That is, if you hit an enemy with three Cancel Strikes, it's next three turns just fizzle out when they come up and unlike Clarissa's Rob Turn I don't think anything is immune to it. This is about as broken as it sounds, in the correct context, although due to the way XF handles map design it doesn't exactly trivialize the game either.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Ahh, the "What are the villains up to" scenes. Pretty reliably the best scenes in the game! The villain side of WAXF is definitely more interesting and talk-worthy than the rest. Sadly we don't have enough info about them yet to do that, but the time will come. Oh yes.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Edna is so much drat fun that way. "I WILL NOW TALK LOUDLY TO MYSELF IN A SPACE USED BY THE MOST POWERFUL AND INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY!" Followed quickly by "I SURE DID KILL THE poo poo OUTTA THE PRINCESS ROYAL OF OUR NATION". I mean, Charlton's a pretty smart looking guy, he probably knew all that, but why would you hand ammo like that to a political rival?

Because you're Edna, that's why.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Fear is definitely new. Considering the least virtuous Guardian previously was Desire, I'd question Fear being one as well.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

It's funny how quickly XF starts laying cards out on the table. I'd honestly forgotten about this ambush at the Guardian Temple, but it's nice to see the game blatantly acknowledge Clarissa is more connected to Elesius than she thinks, while still keeping it plausible that the characters don't really know anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Oh Weisheit. We shall have such FUN together.

• Locked thread