Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The game is receiving weekly update as one can see here:
http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=The_Last_Federation_Post-1.0_Release_Notes

This game is playable from start to finish without bug or much problems, but yeah, like others said the simulation and mechanics are quite unpolished and opaque.
For example, each planet gets an economic, environment, health, and order rating (referred to in-game as RCI), and the game explains what each of them does but not the magnitude of their effects. What does -100 mean except it's bad? What does +2000 mean except it's good? And the stats often spiral out of control due to bonus stacking or event. In two games I played I had planet with environmental rating of -1.2K. Well, that race is obviously not going to recover from that since their population is now permanently stuck at 1M. So the player just ended up playing the influence game to federalize all the races instead of bothering with any of the RCI stuff because it's hard to tell just what kind of impact one is making (and late game the more advanced race just out grow the player so much one can't really effect them except very drastic action like dropping a moon on their planet (but this is probably intentional). Yeah, you can play around with RCI through dispatch or lobbying to strength or weaken a race over time, but that's so slow and the magnitude of your impact is so opaque why even bother? Just set up trade routes for the races and bribe them for massive relation boost with the resources you just raided from their trade fleet 2 seconds ago.

The only time the game made me feel like a manipulative shadowy power broker is planting false evidence of conspiracy on the starting race that hates you to make the whole federation declare war on them, then repeatedly broker peace to gain relation boost to quickly get the starting race into your pocket to be federalized. And that one time I did something clever to break up the anti-federation alliance without resorting to galactic genocide to eventually win the game with every race alive.

It was decently fun while I had no idea what's going on. A big part of why I had no idea what's going on is because at release the game was so opaque that I just didn't know if something happening in my game is a bug or feature (for example, I couldn't get Boarine to join the federation because that button simply didn't show up due to a bug). Reading the patch note a lot of the stuff I talked about might no longer be true. I'll probably come back to it after a month or two.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Didn't enjoy this game one bit when I grabbed it a day or two after release, but maybe that will change with patches? I doubt I'll give it another chance unless I see some glowing reviews about that though, it really was tedious and unenjoyable when it wasn't just being so utterly opaque I couldn't tell whether it was being tedious and unenjoyable or not.

Also seriously did I miss something or is that one system of like eight planets the whole of the strategic map? I spent some time assuming I had missed an option somewhere, either to see the rest of the game or to generate a sensibly sized system which actually had unclaimed territory and other stuff that could lead to interesting situations.

Nope, all planets are already claimed. Each game is suppose to develop different through assigning each race random homeworld (which may or may not suit their physiology, which greatly effects their ability to thrive) and recently through two randomly assigned artifacts that give the planet either a big bonus or penalty. (That's the idea anyways).

• Locked thread