Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I don't have this game, for basically the same reasons you guys are saying. But I also differ in one important way, because I assume the game will be great in a while. AI War, AVWW2, and to a lesser extent Bionic Dues all started out with heavy problems, and were fixed to become much better. Arcen basically has a strategy of "test until game is complete, release, and do iterations basically forever." The complaint about changing game mechanics drastically is totally true (I've been watching the patch notes because I find it interesting), but it'll be great in time.

AI War used to have all kinds of lovely mechanics, like roll-to-hit, but it all got removed and replaced. You know what AI War did recently? They removed one of the resources from the game entirely. Collection and setup was automatic, you could transform one resource into another at a loss anyway, so they took a look at it and just scrapped one of them altogether. And it worked.

Arcen has a history of consistently iterating games, and they get better each time. the patches are coming almost daily, but this was the plan before release, and shouldn't be seen as a sign of frantic scrambling. I didn't buy this game at launch, but I totally will later on, after it gets its footing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Space Bat posted:

Did AVWW2 actually become good? I've never heard that before.

Well, I thought it was fun. It's also a good bit more fun in multiplayer, for what it's worth.

• Locked thread