Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I bought this game hoping it would be at least enjoyably bad like XIII-2 was, but I could only stand to play it for a few hours. I'm thinking I might just watch this to see the rest of it.

This game is not fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Axle_Stukov posted:

Honestly I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to go for the cashgrab of making the Japanese track paid DLC. Since there's the massive market that will happily pay 4$ for their kawaii sugoi Japanese voice track.

If they did this with Sonic games it'd put Sega back on top of the industry.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The canvas of prayers really highlights the main problem with FF these days: everything is overdesigned to the point of ridiculousness where you're just laughing at something the designers probably wanted you to take seriously. The message board didn't need to be called the canvas of prayers. We didn't need some weird chicken lady to give us an extended explanation of why only lightning could read it and nobody else. But we got one anyways, and it probably cost them time and money that SE really can't afford to lose anymore.

Also, since only Lightning can read the runes on it, apparently someone built a message board in the town square that posts to itself automatically and is only readable by a person who doesn't exist yet. I'd love to see how that one got pitched to the city council.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I do like the story's overarching approach to the apocalypse which is "If you randomly gently caress with things enough, eventually the whole universe will just crash to desktop."

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The big thing that jumped out at me while I was playing is how inconsistent the graphics are in this game. Half the environments look passable while the other half look like they were pulled out of a PS2 game. Environment objects all clash and very rarely does anything have a consistent visual style, such that it almost feels like this game was cobbled together using unused assets from previous Final Fantasies all the way back to FFX.

I'm only half-kidding. The opening area, with its ladders-to-nowhere, feels like some completely unrelated dungeon room got hastily repurposed to house a cutscene/boss. From what I've seen, the whole game is full of weird things like that.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

tinkerttoy posted:

What is it with JRPGs and deicide? I don't even know where the supposed trope comes from, I've seen Unnecessary Christian Symbolism on final bosses, sure, but I can't name any where you literally fight a god.

I think it's because most JRPGs use the term "God" in a manner more akin to Greek mythology. It just means "a really, really, really powerful being." I don't know enough about Japanese spiritual tradition to say that this falls in line with how it works, but from what little I do know it seems to be that way.

From there, the logic just goes "These games are power fantasies, so let's cap things off by having you beat up the most powerful being in the universe." You're fighting "God" in more or less the same sense that you fight "the Gods" in the God of War series.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Schwartzcough posted:

Ohh, that sucks. I think if you take the synthesis tutorial they give you two copies of Attack to synthesize together, giving you a free upgraded Attack ability. That'll teach you to not listen to every single tutorial, no matter how straightforward!

It baffles me that games ever do this. If not your players, think of the poor playtesters who just want to skip through to gameplay!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Maybe people are just pretending to die in order to maintain the status quo.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, and people mentioned they mythical lore laid out in 13-1. I checked that. It's all not just in the datalogs, it's in the analects you have to earn by doing the side quests.

These games don't feel "designed" so much as they are "congealed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But then where...whose hair is it!?

In a city this size, hair is everywhere.

• Locked thread