Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I've watched the FFXIII-2 LP, and I'm pretty sure that you doing this after that trainwreck is a sign that you're certifiably insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Geop posted:

:zhwoop:

"Good, that information sounds correct. Now turn around, I need to make sure nobody else can learn this. :ninja:"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'm still confused why Square continues making games called Final Fantasy given that they seem to have no interest in making turn-based RPGs where you have a party of dudes fighting an enemy party of dudes and instead keep making these weird action-game pseudo-turn-based fake RPGs.

Like, it's cool that they want to make other games, so why not just do that? TWEWY and Kingdom Hearts didn't need the FF name attached (well, KH sort of did, but not really) and still sold like hotcakes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Zukhramm posted:

Final Fantasy has not been turn based since Final Fantasy 3.

ATB's basically a clever way of disguising turns, especially if it's a game that allows pausing of the gauge progression at any point.

And even then, FFX was turn based and it was solid. The postgame was bullshit, but what else is new?

Basically my problem with these games is there's very little decision making beyond a vague sense of what flavor of numbers you're barfing at the opponent and the battles feel extremely frantic like you're not even allowed to think about what action you're taking so it's just you and the opponent barfing numbers at each other, whereas earlier final fantasies have you actually making decisions and had bosses with clever tricks or gimmicks (FFV has a lot of these).

e: To clarify: It's more the "action game" bit I have a problem with. If you hid the HUD in any Final Fantasy game up to 12 it'd unmistakably be a largely turn-based affair to the onlooker. If someone hid the HUD in this game and showed it to me I would have thought it was a Devil May Cry knockoff or something. And I mean, if they want to make devil may cry knockoffs, sure, go for it, just don't halfass it and call it final fantasy. Call it something else.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 20, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

*does DX crotch chop at my haters and fans alike* we rollin, idiots. Can't no moron posters stop this train

I'll just leave this here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure the Niblets are Langoliers.

• Locked thread