Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yesss. With this I can fully experience the full experience of the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy without needing to play it or think of witty commentary of my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So in 13 you beat the game by doing exactly what the bad guys wanted you to do from the beginning only you get saved by Deus Ex Machina that somehow makes up for the fact that you just played right into their plans. Then in 13-2 you do exactly what the bad guy wants you to and play right into his hands only this time there's no Deus Ex Machina and the game just laughs at you for believing that you ever had a chance to make things right. I wonder how 13-3 is going to flip us the bird?

... maybe the creators of this trilogy are huge Saiyuki fans. Every game is a tribute to that story about how Monkey thought he could escape Buddha's hand by flying to the Pillars of Creation at the end of the universe but it turns out they were Buddha's fingers and he was on Buddha's hand the whole time.

Speaking of the overall theme of the trilogy, it's funny how obsessed Squeenix was about creating the whole 'Fabula Nova Crystalis' mythos only to completely change the mythos from game to game. So first there's no Gods, then there's a God but you kill her, then there's a whole new different super-God who is more powerful than the other God. If they ever put out another game it's going to be like that Penny Arcade comic where they mention the 'Lords of the God Kings'. How many steps are there on this totem-pole?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

LeafyOrb posted:

It's all datalog poo poo, but the mythos has been consistent from game to game actually. Barthandelus was a servant of Lindzei who was trying to summon Bhunvelze by destroying everyone. Lindzei and Etro are his children. Also Etro is supposedly in FF 15 so we get to enjoy more incompetent godliness in the future. So right now Lightning is the servant of a god that can only be summoned by killing everyone, seems like a good plan.

Also, gently caress this game.

I feel dumb for not knowing that this was in there despite having played through all of 13 and 13-2. Luckily I can still feel justified because the fact that I can play through both games without knowing parts of the plot that are vital to the later games just shows how bad at storytelling these guys are.

I also would like to point out, as Spoony did, that it's really silly to go back to 13 and hear Lightning say 'I'm nobody's slave!' every time she uses Army of One only to then become a complete slave to the Gods in the other two games.

• Locked thread