Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, what a mess. Apparently the map slowdown has to do with the "fake BIOS" that VBA uses, and should work better if you load the real one, but the creator thought he fixed it anyway. Also, the popping (during dialogue for instance) does seem to be worse as well, which is more noticeable when emulated and when not using the BIOS. On top of that, looks like the guy just got hit with serious hard drive failure and probably lost his source code.

:negative: It's on the front page of ROMhacking if anybody wants to keep up on it.

Kyrosiris posted:

Also, in case you guys want effectively final numbers of the stuff that Carbybot was tracking in IRC:
I didn't even know .broken was a thing being kept track of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

I almost don't want to make the $18.40 donation that entails because the current $11414.14 donation level is really amusing to me.

If you don't donate at least the $10.60 I raised in that hole then I'll straight up shank you, just FYI.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Doom Goon posted:

Wow, what a mess. Apparently the map slowdown has to do with the "fake BIOS" that VBA uses, and should work better if you load the real one, but the creator thought he fixed it anyway. Also, the popping (during dialogue for instance) does seem to be worse as well, which is more noticeable when emulated and when not using the BIOS.

Huh, well, back to the unpatched ROM for me then.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I already miss this. When does Kioku generally come out with the infographic for the year?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

I already miss this. When does Kioku generally come out with the infographic for the year?

As of 16 hours ago:

quote:

FF5ForFutures @FF5ForFutures
I AM KICKING @revenantkioku IN THE BUTT RIGHT NOW. HE WILL BE WORKING ON THE INFOPICTURE SOON.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sweet!

I don't understand why the Fiesta is like crack. FF5 was one of my middle-of-the-pack games before finding out about this, now it's one of my favorites.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Poque posted:

Sweet!

I don't understand why the Fiesta is like crack. FF5 was one of my middle-of-the-pack games before finding out about this, now it's one of my favorites.

People don't really get how fun the game is at first. I know it took me awhile to really appreciate how great the gameplay is, and now it's probably my favorite game in the series. Not being around when FF4 and FF6 were in other countries also doesn't help its international reputation, though it's great that stuff like the Fiesta are getting more and more people every year to try/replay the game and realize how awesome it is.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I had the same problem, my tweets weren't getting through to RK or Gilgabot. Kyrosiris had to poke RK for me, which caused him to follow me with Gilgabot, and then my victory tweets went through. Is your Twitter only used for Fiesta too? I'm wondering if that might be why there's problems.

Yeah I suppose so. I ended up not getting any credit in the end and it's too late for me to do anything about it. Still, I managed to clear everything! Not hard as I had a chemist but still.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mega64 posted:

People don't really get how fun the game is at first. I know it took me awhile to really appreciate how great the gameplay is, and now it's probably my favorite game in the series. Not being around when FF4 and FF6 were in other countries also doesn't help its international reputation, though it's great that stuff like the Fiesta are getting more and more people every year to try/replay the game and realize how awesome it is.

Hey Mega, long time!

And yeah, I think its endless replayability stems from the really solid job system and lower focus on story. FF6 is probably a "better" game in most senses of the word, but it's heavy - there are a lot of parts that are just a slog, and it can be tough (at least for me) to get in the mood to play through it. FF5 is light on story and gets going pretty quickly, and at that point it's just gameplay mechanics, which are always a joy. Funny how I consider FF6 better but would much, much rather play through FF5.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Well, one typically doesn't play an opera. :v:

But in all seriousness, FF5 does get to the meat of its gameplay more quickly, there's fewer cutscenes to slog through, and it lends itself extremely well to silly challenges like the the Fiesta.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I find that FFV is a lot more fun with restrictions in place. Otherwise the job system just has too many options and I never know what to do.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It's more fun with the restrictions because it forces you to think on a lot more of the bosses, and where one party annihilates one boss and struggles on another, there's likely a party that does the reverse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Poque posted:

Hey Mega, long time!

Same! Nice to see you also got on board with the Fiesta.

The Fiesta's great because it helps people who are otherwise overwhelmed with the sheer job variety focus on a few classes and figure out how to beat the game with them. It also adds replay value so people can try out jobs they missed the first time. I've seen so many people who tried the game before and quit due to the job variety overwhelming them end up beating the game playing the Fiesta since it gives much more of a focus.

It's crazy how well this challenge fits this game due to the points you get the jobs. It's a shame you can't really replicate something like this for other games.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Kioku just shared the 2014 FJF details.

Total raised: $11,414.14 so he'll be stuck playing FFT
Most runs by one person: 21 runs
10/15 three berserker teams beat Neo-Exdeath
217 miserable people aka number of classic runs

Full 2014 info graphic:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Blue Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Dragoon combo honestly sounds pretty bad. It'd be great through world one and the first half of world two, but the lack of late-game damage output could be a serious issue.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Blue Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Dragoon actually sounds like it could steamroll the game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anything with Blue Mage is a cakewalk.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
No recognition of Fiestdeath. Unforgivable. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hedera Helix posted:

Blue Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Dragoon actually sounds like it could steamroll the game.

That was my thought. How the hell did that setup lose. :psyduck:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ultrafilter posted:

The Blue Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Dragoon combo honestly sounds pretty bad. It'd be great through world one and the first half of world two, but the lack of late-game damage output could be a serious issue.

It has Blue Mage and Beastmaster. It's fine. Time Mage is just the cherry on top.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

That was my thought. How the hell did that setup lose. :psyduck:

Beastmaster and Dragoon are really boring to play. Same reason someone with a Chemist could lose.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Next year I hope I don't get Dancer or Beastmaster. But especially Dancer.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Nihilarian posted:

Next year I hope I don't get Dancer or Beastmaster. But especially Dancer.

My dancer was awesome, especially with dual wield or sword for the very end.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dancer is a job that seems neat, but having to be forced to use one is akin to eating plain oatmeal with the occasional painful lump in the form of undead enemies. There's absolutely nothing to do with the class except pray for Sword Dance and die in three light hits.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

redreader posted:

My dancer was awesome, especially with dual wield or sword for the very end.
I got Dancer 3 times out of 4 though.

It got a lot easier when I found out I could Break Blade to drop the Almaghest portion of Exdeath, but still, their HP is so low.

Edit: The most interesting Dancer run I got was when I had Bard and Monk. They had surprising synergy together.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I hope next year I get less Blue Mage. It's one of my favorite classes, but come on, getting it as the first job in 3 out of 7 runs? I have had enough of them. Other than that, my runs were pretty well-balanced for jobs; I never got Black Mage or Time Mage, and I had to Job Fair to get Beastmaster and Ranger, but overall I got a lot of variety. I will TOTALLY be here next year.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Hey, I'm one of those 10 that beat the game with 3 Berserkers. I feel special. :unsmith: I assume that the 5 who didn't finish got white mage for their only other class. I feel i had it pretty easy with the Knight synergy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

White+zerkers is a tad annoying early on but you get to abuse the Rune Axe and Gaia Hammer pretty decently and white magic support is never a bad thing. Equip axe even gives the white mage something to do before Holy shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Hmm, that infographic is missing some basic info. I always find it interesting to see how many runs were started vs. how many were completed. But that doesn't show the number of runs, just how many were finished if you feel like tallying up the boss kills graph.

Also, yeah, White Mage is one of the best options to pair with Berserkers. Three Berserkers tend to provide adequate offense, while healing and support are usually the real problem (which just so happens to be the White Mage's specialty). Meanwhile, the Berserkers can be healbots between battles.

• Locked thread