Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lord Foppington posted:

drat this is perfect timing, starts right after I'm done with my finals. Looking forward to a random run, but not sure what platform to play on. PSX, GBA or iOS. I'm assuming the iOS version has the most features, but the UI and sprites are just too "clean" for my liking. I've never finished the game before so could anyone give me a quick run down of the end game content differences of the versions?

I can't comment too heavily on the in-game differences but here's what I know:

- PS1 version is digitally available for I think $6 and can also be played on a PSP or Vita. It has a terrible translation, however. This is the cheapest legal way to play it if you have a PS3, PSP or Vita.
- The iOS version has the whole graphics quality issue which is especially problematic on an iPad (there's a pronounced separation between the tiles). It can be played in eight languages (Simplified and Traditional Chinese are the last two). $16 but maybe it'll go on sale if Square Enix tries to capitalize on the Fiesta (assuming they know about it).
- The GBA version is arguably the most solid, having a competent translation, proper load times, it's portable and can be TV Outed if you get a Gamecube and a GB Player (although getting that nowadays is difficult and expensive as there are a lot of components involved, 1 or 2 of which are rare). If you get your hands on the (also expensive) European version you can play the game solidly translated into French, German, Spanish or Italian if you'd rather do that. You'd need a hard copy of the game (or a flash cart), which are pricey (especially in Europe) as they were a very late GBA release and didn't have much production. If you want to TV Out you also need a Gamecube with controller, the GB Player, the disc for the GB Player (which on its own is :retrogames:) and, if you want the best possible quality, a component cable (which is like $250 now or something ridiculous because only Nintendo ever made them, you could only get them by ordering from Nintendo's website, and they have a chip in the cable connector so bootleg cables are impossible).

If you're OK with running this through an emulator or a flash cart, there's an unofficial patch which tweaks the music to sound better, although in doing so makes it mono-only, and adds in an orchestral recording for the opening music (up until the meteor crash-lands).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

On a scale of one to ten, how bad is it that FFV is like the one FF I have never played? :ohdear: It's not even that I don't want to, because I really do. I've just never managed to snag this game. I feel like I am missing out on something big and exciting every time I hear about this event.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
On a scale of one to ten, start playing the best Final Fantasy immediately.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

In regards to the SNES version, I found that the unofficial fan translation isn't horrible. I mean, I didn't hate it. Is there anything game battle mechanics-wise in relation to the 4JF that should make me switch to the GBA release?

To the guy who never played FFV, do so right away. If the game hasn't been spoiled for you in anyway, then try not look up anything prior. Unless you want to do 4JF as your first run, then shine on you crazy diamond.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sneaky Wombat posted:

In regards to the SNES version, I found that the unofficial fan translation isn't horrible. I mean, I didn't hate it. Is there anything game battle mechanics-wise in relation to the 4JF that should make me switch to the GBA release?

I think the GBA version might fix the damage calculation bug with daggers? Otherwise, not really - the GBA fixes the Kiss of Blessing bug, so it prevents you from doing stuff like skipping Neo-Exdeath, etc.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kyrosiris posted:

There are no plusses aside from laughing at Y-BURNS and KARL BOSS.

"I thought I told you to stay out of my pool."

Does the Vita's built-in screencap function work on PSOne classics? I know it doesn't work on PSP titles you've downloaded, but I've never tried it with a PSOne game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kyrosiris posted:

I think the GBA version might fix the damage calculation bug with daggers? Otherwise, not really - the GBA fixes the Kiss of Blessing bug, so it prevents you from doing stuff like skipping Neo-Exdeath, etc.

They added a new way to skip him instead! (But it requires Cannoneer, so you can't do it in the Fiesta anyway.)

Foppington
Feb 11, 2013

Neon Dreams
Thanks for the tips! If the iOS version has been fixed then I think I'll go for that. I have FFV on the PSN, but it.. leaves a lot to be desired as you all pointed out. KARL BOSS :downs:

Else I would have done the GBA version, but I don't particularly fancy being scrunched over a computer. (I have a GBA, but no FFV).

I'm just a bit skeptical to controlling the game and navigating via touch screen, but I'm sure they've made it work.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

Does the Vita's built-in screencap function work on PSOne classics? I know it doesn't work on PSP titles you've downloaded, but I've never tried it with a PSOne game.

Heh, this reminds me of the wonderful (and now horribly outdated) Awful Fantasy romhack of FFVI. A FFV hack made just for the FJF would be AMAZING. Way, way too much work for a bunch of goofy injokes though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If I was even remotely creative, I'd maybe think about doing something like that, but haha, me and creative ventures.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Nope, the Vita only screencaps Vita games.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

There are no plusses aside from laughing at Y-BURNS and KARL BOSS.

If you laugh at him he might attack with breath wing. :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

BloodWulfe posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing ever. :laffo:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BloodWulfe posted:

Horrible translation redeemed.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Nope, the Vita only screencaps Vita games.

Looks like I'm sticking with VBA again this year, then. Pity; I would have liked to be able to Fiesta on the go, but I'm not fiddling around with having to use an actual camera for a victory screencap.

BloodWulfe posted:

This is beauty. :allears:

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
I want to start my fiesta already, I'm bored today and my semester just started so I have time. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

I want to start my fiesta already, I'm bored today and my semester just started so I have time. :(

Could always do a warm-up Fiesta and just use random.org or something to generate it. :) S'what I'm doing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm just gonna get three different files up to the Wind Temple so I can start right away when it begins.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!

Kyrosiris posted:

Could always do a warm-up Fiesta and just use random.org or something to generate it. :) S'what I'm doing.

Yeah aim just gonna do that, I wish my computers hdd wasn't dying on me so I can start with that. Looks like iOS iPad version for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Beat the game for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Looks like RK has updated the help page and we know what 2014's gimmick is: "Classic Jobs", which only uses the six FF1 jobs (Knight, Thief, Monk, Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage) and is an enforced Natural run. Neato. (It's also not eligible for BERSERKER RISK, which means no one is doing it for their first run obviously.)

Team 750/No750 are still around from last year, as well. I've updated the OP accordingly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I've updated the OP accordingly.

Stick the berserker tree in there too. :colbert:

(Check my post history in this thread if you missed it.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vil posted:

Stick the berserker tree in there too. :colbert:

(Check my post history in this thread if you missed it.)

I knew I was forgetting something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At least you're guaranteed one good job there. Of course, Thief/Monk/Red Mage/Knight would kind of suck, since at least the other two magic jobs could make better use of Dualcast.

Think I'll skip it just because I really don't want freaking Monk again.

\/ e: Nevermind, Red Mage sucks regardless. Pretty much gonna rely on Knight/Black/White Mage to carry the time.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 15, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

At least you're guaranteed one good job there. Of course, Thief/Monk/Red Mage/Knight would kind of suck, since at least the other two magic jobs could make better use of Dualcast.

Think I'll skip it just because I really don't want freaking Monk again.

Remember: Classic Jobs is enforced Natural jobs. No cross-pollinating.

Ideal is probably Knight/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Thief, party time. I don't actually mind this. I forget though, what mode is it that you only roll for the crystals available jobs versus all the ones you've come across thus far? Think I'm trying to do the latter instead.

Edit: random it is then. Magissa why you make everything difficult already.

EllEssDee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 15, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

Thief, party time. I don't actually mind this. I forget though, what mode is it that you only roll for the crystals available jobs versus all the ones you've come across thus far? Think I'm trying to do the latter instead.

Normal rolls from what is from that crystal only, Random rolls from anything you could have at the current point in time.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

don't play the iOS version for the FJF

It is programmed different so many of the programming quriks have been fixed. This means abusing the that mute sword to beat the twin tower is out. Abusing the mirage vest is out as well. I think there were a few more too. Normal play throughs are perfectly fine, but some some FJF games get hosed. A teams with white Mage as the only caster class can't get holy on the iOS version.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shwqa posted:

It is programmed different so many of the programming quriks have been fixed. This means abusing the that mute sword to beat the twin tower is out. Abusing the mirage vest is out as well. I think there were a few more too. Normal play throughs are perfectly fine, but some some FJF games get hosed. A teams with white Mage as the only caster class can't get holy on the iOS version.

I thought those were fixed? That's what a lot of people said on IRC last year towards the end of the Fiesta.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Still fucks heavily with a lot of strategies.

The iOS version is really just useful for grinding JP in Castle Bal's basement with Auto-Battle.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I think I will try this out this year!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Wait, the definitive White Magic attack isn't available to White Mages? How does that even work? :psyduck:

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Thief and berserker. I guess I'm kind of glad this isn't the official one but this'll be fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Wait, the definitive White Magic attack isn't available to White Mages? How does that even work? :psyduck:

To get Holy, you have to beat Omniscient who counters any non-magic action with Return, which restarts the battle unless he's muted. He also counters Libra with Return in the iOS version, though they may have patched that back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EllEssDee posted:

Thief and berserker. I guess I'm kind of glad this isn't the official one but this'll be fun.

I beat my first run two years ago with Thief/Berserker, it's a less than ideal setup but you'll be fine. You'll be happy in the lategame when you can steal a ton of Elixirs by messing with quicksaves.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Yeah I'm not too worried about it, murder money train inc

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

To get Holy, you have to beat Omniscient who counters any non-magic action with Return, which restarts the battle unless he's muted. He also counters Libra with Return in the iOS version, though they may have patched that back.

I think he was confused by the statement that white mages cant use holy on the ios version, which I am also confused by.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, Thief/Berserker will serve you fine until you hit the Fire Crystal. Although depending on what you roll there, you have a 2/5 chance of being forced to face Byblos without access to fire damage, which will be a huge pain (but still doable).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I think he was confused by the statement that white mages cant use holy on the ios version, which I am also confused by.

You both misread then. With the bug he explained, if your only caster is a white mage, you can't beat Omnisicient and get Holy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

neongrey posted:

You both misread then. With the bug he explained, if your only caster is a white mage, you can't beat Omnisicient and get Holy.

Anyone can solo run Omniscient out of MP.

• Locked thread