Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EllEssDee posted:

Almagest you hurt so much, I honestly don't really know what to do to contend with that.

Almagest has 180 attack power, and the part that casts it has 21 magic multiplier, so it will do 3780 base damage. Every point of magic defense on a character will reduce that amount by 21. That's how high your HP has to be to survive it. Your thief will definitely be your weak point here. However, you have Phoenix, so this shouldn't be a huge issue.

Also, protip for summoners in case you weren't aware: Syldra with a wizard rod or air knife equipped is better than Leviathan (because nothing boosts water damage), and almost as good as Bahamut for significantly less MP.

Leviathan is almost a useless spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

Why not just pair it with a Twin Lance? A Chicken Knife in the off-hand can't fire its !Flee because the Twin Lance's double attack "spell" fires first and you can only proc one weapon's spell per attack action.

Sadly, seems like this is another iOS problem:

EllEssDee posted:

So Odin is kind of giving my team a problem. I'm trying to summon short to kill him but that's not working, and in the iOS version the chicken knife isn't mitigated by the twin lance. Any tips?

(Thief, berserker, ninja, summoner)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Sadly, seems like this is another iOS problem:

Haha the iOS keeps getting worse. Oh well I guess it is the real hard mode.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Can't modernize an RPG without including modern features like, "The Only Gimmick Is OUR Gimmick."

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Yeah, I skipped leviathan and am just grinding now in the forest outside of Phoenix/Bahamut desert. It's faster and mindless. Really if my summoner can live through it we'll be fine so I'm seeing what I can do to dampen the damage.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, protip for summoners in case you weren't aware: Syldra with a wizard rod or air knife equipped is better than Leviathan (because nothing boosts water damage), and almost as good as Bahamut for significantly less MP.

Leviathan is almost a useless spell.

If you get Summoner and Chemist, then one of Chemist's mixes gives you the elemental damage boost for all eight elements, including water.

Of course, in that scenario, more importantly you've got Chemist period. So you can break the game over your knee whether you get mileage out of Leviathan or not.

Without Chemist, yes, stick with Syldra.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Awwww yiss. I guess Krile will get to stay with her grandpa :/ . Pretty easy fight once I could live past Almagest. I hope for the FJF I get to use Chemist or Mystic Knight seeing as I never have really used either job despite knowing how good they were. Fun run, berserker is not really as bad as I thought it would be, I'd rather them than geomancers. Overall the run was pretty easy save Garula and Bahamut.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Chemist is really good and everyone playing the game should try them at least once. Full disclosure - I never used one myself until my first FJF (which gave me thief, summoner, bard, and chemist, aka easy mode after Garula), but I really appreciate them now.

I also really appreciate thief now too, having since gotten several FJFs where I didn't get it. Things like "not being back attacked" and "being able to flee instantly and reliably, on demand" are crazy helpful while making your way through a dungeon, even if thief doesn't contribute much (except from whatever sub-command it's borrowing) against bosses.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chemist's only real problem is that it isn't very useful in random trash fights. The thing is, unless you are for some reason getting the Brave Blade (don't get the Brave Blade), why would you fight more than what you need? And since you'll be farming turtle shells/dragon fangs/dark matter, you shouldn't need to kill much else.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
I like thieves too, for both FJFs I've done they were in there somehow and I definitely love the artful dodger sub ability for my characters. Being able to flee and steal also are great add ons as well. In that final battle Kriles ability to throw and do the elixir work helped a lot. I've never used monk ever, I hear it's pretty bad so that's kind of the only class I don't really want. I'm hoping for Black Mage this time around, ideally Black Mage/Mystic Knight/Chemist/Dancer. It's a very overpowered party but since I've seldom used them I want to see what they are capable of. Hopefully during this FJF I can kill shinryu and Omega too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

EllEssDee posted:

Fun run, berserker is not really as bad as I thought it would be, I'd rather them than geomancers.

This is always my favorite part of the Fiesta, seeing someone gain a new appreciation for a job they've always ignored before (or would have been inclined to ignore if they're new to the game). :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

EllEssDee posted:

I like thieves too, for both FJFs I've done they were in there somehow and I definitely love the artful dodger sub ability for my characters. Being able to flee and steal also are great add ons as well. In that final battle Kriles ability to throw and do the elixir work helped a lot. I've never used monk ever, I hear it's pretty bad so that's kind of the only class I don't really want. I'm hoping for Black Mage this time around, ideally Black Mage/Mystic Knight/Chemist/Dancer. It's a very overpowered party but since I've seldom used them I want to see what they are capable of. Hopefully during this FJF I can kill shinryu and Omega too.

Chemist is Earth Crystal, same as Dancer, so none of them on the same team sadly.

IMHO the best team lineup is Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Summoner/Chemist, but a solo Chemist with no cross-class abilities can kill both Shinryu and Omega, so anything with Chemist in it is academic. :v:

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
The FJFs have really made me appreciate ff5 as a whole as well, it's probably the most fun FF for me now. I wish it would just start already I want to do another run :woop:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

EllEssDee posted:

The FJFs have really made me appreciate ff5 as a whole as well, it's probably the most fun FF for me now. I wish it would just start already I want to do another run :woop:

drat it after reading your adventure I can't wait anymore. I'm gonna start a new game.

Edit: gently caress I got thief. This is my third FJF and I have rolled a thief every time (I used job fair last year so I didn't get bored).

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 19, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

EllEssDee posted:

I don't suppose anybody hosts something similar for FFT, do they? Though I imagine that any challenge worth the name for that game would necessitate perhaps more knowledge of the game than FFV requires.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
There's so many more variables in fft that I feel like it definitely could be done but I've. No idea where to actually start with it. A 5 man party of basically anything randomized could probably handle the game with ease, even if you put it into 'natural run' terms.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Che Delilas posted:

I don't suppose anybody hosts something similar for FFT, do they? Though I imagine that any challenge worth the name for that game would necessitate perhaps more knowledge of the game than FFV requires.

Sadly, doing a challenge like this with FFT would be much less accessible. FFV just hands you the jobs at set intervals, and anyone can switch to any job at any time. With FFT, you have to unlock the jobs, so if you wanted to have a team that could mix-and-match skills, you'd have to do a ton of grinding to unlock all the jobs for your team.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!

Shwqa posted:

drat it after reading your adventure I can't wait anymore. I'm gonna start a new game.

Edit: gently caress I got thief. This is my third FJF and I have rolled a thief every time (I used job fair last year so I didn't get bored).

I think I might join you on another run, I already have a save for the wind shrine. Let's see what I get.....alright so with a random run I got knight, monk, blue Mage, AND BERSERKER . This'll be even faster than the run before, let's do this poo poo.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Schwartzcough posted:

Sadly, doing a challenge like this with FFT would be much less accessible. FFV just hands you the jobs at set intervals, and anyone can switch to any job at any time. With FFT, you have to unlock the jobs, so if you wanted to have a team that could mix-and-match skills, you'd have to do a ton of grinding to unlock all the jobs for your team.

Yeah, I pretty much figured that. I wasn't thinking of random classes for each person a-la FJF though, I was more thinking of challenges that are more tailored for FFT specifically. For example, the single class challenge, where you unlock the one job everybody is going to be early on, and then it's only that job for every character for the whole game, no mixing in other job's abilities (so no Blade Grasp on anyone but a samurai, for instance).

And yeah, that doesn't lend itself well to a fiesta. That challenge is not "fun," per se, for a lot of the available jobs. At least, not unless you can already twist the game into a pretzel in 50 different ways and want something more.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Berserker isn't... bad, per se, it's just got cons that vastly outweigh the pros, with the lack of control being the big one and the game-worst agility being the second-biggest.

On the other hand, the Death Scythe, Gaia Hammer, and Thor's Hammer are all pretty loving good, and a lot of people seem to ignore the fact that Zerks can still use knives, too, if you want Assassin Dagger shenanigans.

Kyrosiris posted:

Chemist's only real problem is that it isn't very useful in random trash fights. The thing is, unless you are for some reason getting the Brave Blade (don't get the Brave Blade), why would you fight more than what you need? And since you'll be farming turtle shells/dragon fangs/dark matter, you shouldn't need to kill much else.

The absolute worst thing was that in my very first unofficial FJF run (Knight/Zerk/Ranger/Chemist, aka Team No Difficulty), I had assumed you could buy turtle shells later on in the game and didn't end up farming them in world 1 or at the far-less-convenient spot in world 2.

How wrong I was... :negative:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 19, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm thinking of using the Job Fair to get a Blue Mage for my first crystal, and then normal for the remaining three. To make sure I have at least one broken job to finish the run this time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't know if anything will top beating Shinryu with Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Samurai for me from last year, and I probably won't do as many runs but I'm definitely gonna be in for at least a couple.

W.T. Fits posted:

This is always my favorite part of the Fiesta, seeing someone gain a new appreciation for a job they've always ignored before (or would have been inclined to ignore if they're new to the game). :allears:

Last year I learned Geomancer with Rune Bell and Equip Axe is actually a drat good physical attacker, which is something I never would have done in a normal run.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My yearly tradition is to start this challenge, unlock all 4 jobs, then quit before I beat the game :v:

Still fun to see what combos you can come up with. Last year I had Summoner, and 3 other classes but it doesn't even matter because you end up subbing Summoner to all of them and they hit just as hard and it just became trivial.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

The absolute worst thing was that in my very first unofficial FJF run (Knight/Zerk/Ranger/Chemist, aka Team No Difficulty), I had assumed you could buy turtle shells later on in the game and didn't end up farming them in world 1 or at the far-less-convenient spot in world 2.

How wrong I was... :negative:

You can farm them in world 3! Just go near that land bridge that links Tycoon Castle (or the void formerly known as Tycoon Castle) and Crescent and Grass Turtles show up there.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
My very first run of FJF was Blue Mage, Monk, Dancer, Chemist and it was so dang easy that I'm going to sign up for Berserker Risk this year. :black101:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I wonder what would be a bigger pain in the rear end, three berserkers and a knight or three berserkers and a thief?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think the general consensus is three Berserkers and a Knight is worse, the Thief gives Artful Dodger which helps tremendously with the Berserker's poo poo agility, whereas all the abilities the Knight gives are useless for Berserker except maybe Two-Handed, and even then it isn't all that useful since you'll probably want shields on Berserkers by the endgame.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the general consensus is three Berserkers and a Knight is worse, the Thief gives Artful Dodger which helps tremendously with the Berserker's poo poo agility, whereas all the abilities the Knight gives are useless for Berserker except maybe Two-Handed, and even then it isn't all that useful since you'll probably want shields on Berserkers by the endgame.

Equip Swords boosts the Berserker's Strength by a few points and also lets them use knight swords in addition to regular swords. If you've got a Knight, odds are good you probably also went for the Brave Blade, which means your endgame party can consist of a Knight using Defender to cast Protect on your team and tossing healing items while Berserkers with the Brave Blade, Excalibur, and the axe of your choice (or possibly Ragnarok if you're skilled & lucky enough to pull off a successful Shinryu kill) go apeshit on anything that looks at you funny.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So assuming I'm not doing one of the challenge variants, just a straight-up vanilla fiesta, how viable is the iOS version? It may lack some quality-of-life bugs but it's still possible to win, right?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Prop Wash posted:

So assuming I'm not doing one of the challenge variants, just a straight-up vanilla fiesta, how viable is the iOS version? It may lack some quality-of-life bugs but it's still possible to win, right?

It's definitely doable. You miss out on some really useful oddities/glitches, but FFV isn't really that hard.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Well, I'd say it depends on your team composition. I think that later patches changed the fact that Omega could evade Romeo's Ballad, Shinryu being immune to Berserk, and Omniscient replying to Libra with Reset. The biggest one that is still around is the Twin Lance/Chicken Knife interaction, and that's only relevant if you get Ninja.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Prop Wash posted:

It's hard to think of a situation where it would be impossible to win at this game. Also the iOS version makes grinding really easy so that's a plus.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Very possible, there is just a few glitches that got patched out that might make your life harder. I believe the mirage vest and chicken knife abuse is what can hurt you the most.

There is a gba emulator that works for the unjailbroken iOS. A quick google search will help you out. I use the iOS version for day to day fun (where those glitches patches would never hurt you) and the gba for the FJF.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

I wonder what would be a bigger pain in the rear end, three berserkers and a knight or three berserkers and a thief?

I'd much rather have the thief. Being completely immune to back attacks and able to run away whenever you feel like it is an immense boon no matter what your party is. Also you can steal poo poo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd much rather have the thief. Being completely immune to back attacks and able to run away whenever you feel like it is an immense boon no matter what your party is. Also you can steal poo poo.

Is it bad that I almost want to sit down and consider the damage over time differential of Thief/3ZRK versus Knight/3ZRK? :v:

(yes, I'm entirely too much of a numbers-:spergin: about FFV, why do you ask?)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Are there any items/equipment that you can only get through stealing? Or is stealing only good for getting stuff really early.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any items/equipment that you can only get through stealing? Or is stealing only good for getting stuff really early.

Genii armor set is steal only. And there are a ton more odds and ends. Course with the thief's knife any team can steal at the end game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Best axe in the game, the Giant's Axe, is only available during the Twin Tania fight when TT is charging for Giga Flare as a Common steal. The Genji armor is also only available from stealing from Gilgamesh. If you want more Aegis Shields than the two(?) that exist in chests, you need a Thief for the rest, same for more Golden Hairpins.

Shwqa posted:

Genii armor set is steal only. And there are a ton more odds and ends. Course with the thief's knife any team can steal at the end game.

And while this is true, I'd rather pull out my own teeth than try to get rare steals with the Thief's Knife. :suicide:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Also be sure to read the google doc on the op. Here is its section on stealing

quote:

Good Steals (Rare Steals have a 4% Success Rate):
Y-BURNS have Mythril Knives for those who started with Thief as their first job.
Zu (world 1 encounter near Karnak) have Elixirs for a rare steal and no common steal.
Gigases in Karnak Castle have Elixirs as a common steal. If you’re quick you can come out of the castle with 10-12 elixirs fairly easily.
Poltergeists in the Fire Ship have Hi-Potions. This is important because it’s the earliest reliable place to get them in world 1.
Cray Claw has a Coral Sword that you can equip immediately after stealing to murder him with. He’s elementally weak to it.
As mentioned under the Dancer’s tips, Lamias in the Ronkan Ruins have Lamia’s Tiaras rarely, far earlier than any of the other Dancer-only items.
Titan has a Gaia Hammer, much earlier than you can get one normally (Pyramid), however it is a rare steal.
Strapparers in World 2 near Exdeath’s Castle have Elixir as their only steal. Think of them as World 2’s Zu.
Objets d’Art (Bal Castle basement in world 2) have Twin Lancer as a rare steal.
The Poison Eagles in the Drakenvale in world 2 have Hayate/Gale Bows as a rare steal.
Steal from Gilgamesh every time. Every fight from Xezat’s boat onwards, he has some sort of Genji item as a common steal. (Note that for Exdeath’s Castle, you have to wait until he transforms for the Genji item.)
Red Dragons (monster-in-a-box in the Barrier Tower) have Flame Rings as a rare steal. You can also run away from them and reopen the monster-in-a-box repeatedly.
Reflect Mages in Exdeath’s Castle (world 2) have Reflect Rings
Ouisoeaurares in the moving platform section of Exdeath’s Castle and in the Island Shrine have Mirage Vests as a rare steal.
Sea Devils, located in the ocean on the World Map, have Defender as their rare steal. http://tinyurl.com/ff5seachart
Odin has a Protect Ring, but good luck with that.
Gorgimera in the Rift has the Aegis Shield as a rare steal. As does Halicarnassus.
Yojimbos in the Castle section of the Rift have the Murakumo katana as a rare steal. It has more attack power and a slightly higher Crit chance than the Masamune does, so it makes a good backup katana.
When he’s charging up Gigaflare, Twintania has the Titan’s Axe up for grabs. The only other place to get it is in Istory Falls and for some parties going through the Fork Tower for just the one weapon isn’t worth the hassle. It’s the highest raw attack axe until the post-game (91 attack compared to the Thor’s Hammer’s 81) and makes a good backup for if you can’t use the Rune Axe efficiently or if it’s otherwise occupied
Crystal Dragons in the first and third sections of the last area of the Rift have Dragon Lances as a rare steal and Elixirs as a common steal.
Shinryuu rarely holds a Dragon Whisker. You can also run away from him easily. This is arguably more convenient than farming it from a Stingray.
If you can wield them (or want to immediately throw them in his face with a Ninja), Neo-Exdeath’s topmost part (the red lion) has a Dragon Lance, the front part (centaur dude) has the Murakumo katana, and the backmost part (the skeleton) has a Ragnarok. You can keep these through the credits if you’re playing the GBA version, for Omega/Shinryuu/the bonus dungeon.

We nerded out last year and put all of our collective information in this doc. Check it out https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MrmmtZPyCJnRL8ecIp5LOwhDnb_9FLeFQNjOzyVI-R8/mobilebasic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kyrosiris posted:

Best axe in the game, the Giant's Axe, is only available during the Twin Tania fight when TT is charging for Giga Flare as a Common steal. The Genji armor is also only available from stealing from Gilgamesh. If you want more Aegis Shields than the two(?) that exist in chests, you need a Thief for the rest, same for more Golden Hairpins.

It should be noted that the third Gold Hairpin you can steal is from Gogo, and it's a rare steal.

Basically expect a lot of resetting if you want it.

• Locked thread