Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I am not from the streets and am stupid so I have a cleric/monk I want to offer! This might be kind of a mess because I'm really bad at min/maxing D&D (as is obvious by not being a wizard) and just general newness to this whole PbP deal.

Sion's Character Sheet: Always updated.
Info/Quicklook: Background information and a Quicklook for weight, money, EXP and items collected on adventure.

Background: Priest (skills modified)
Temple Services. In a location that has a temple, shrine, or other presence of my faith, I can expect to receive free healing, care and religious services for me and my companions from others aligned with my faith.

Sion's Background posted:

As a young man, Sion lived and served by his towns local church. Life was a struggle, for he proved physically weak to pass the most basic trials of the church. Yet his bed side manner and compassion for the wounded made him an excellent healer. As he strived to over come his weakness, a chance meeting with an injured wood elf gave him an opportunity. After mending the elf, he was given a small compilation of elvish books that detailed monk traditions from many different lands. In essence, it was a how-to guide for aspiring monks. Intrigued, Sion took to the training of the books while maintaining his priestly duties. Although incredibly demanding, the rewards became clear as he passed many difficult trials and climbed the ranks as the years passed.

Things turned sour when he began to manifest powers of healing. Some priests became aware of his training and accused him of betraying church doctrine and traditions, claiming the power came from a corrupt source. Through manipulation and fear, he was to be put to death, but managed to flee before this could come to pass. Feeling wounded, he made his way aimlessly from place to place, his books his only companion, his continued training his only solace. In time he learned that the life of an adventurer would benefit him greatly, but for now he only wanted to train and read in peace.

He came across Daggerford by chance, not knowing a festival would soon near. Offering his services to the Temple of Amaunator had given him room and board, though he struggled to adapt to the traditions of the temple as they proved quite different from his own. It was Luc Sunbright that accepted his proposal and acted as an impromptu mentor, training him in the daily Temple practices. For Sion, his kindness would wash away the dread that hounded his steps, but he kept his healing powers a secret, for he was uncertain how it would be received.

Sion had only been here a few days and he already felt at peace. But as the festival neared, so did the storm..

Other info:

A lovely pic of his general attire for when he takes on Monk. For now he wears a pretty worn out suit of chainmail, with his holy symbol hanging from his belt/sash.

I'll be playing Sion with a bit more curiosity and wonderment as his general attitude, but he's generally calm and sympathetic when dealing with non-monsters, preferring to lend a helping hand than bust heads. Since all his fighting has been in training, actually fighting will be a bit of an eye opener and I'll have to iron out how he takes to it, since he has been rather sheltered.

I took a little liberty with Luc Sunbright, but not knowing his character yet I kept it pretty light. My holy symbol is a lightly ornate metal cross from my time in the previous church before being ousted. The church didn't worship a specific deity but revered all those those who claim the Life domain, so it's more of a generic religious symbol (that I like because Castlevania).

The goal is to get him on the path to monk-hood which will kick in next level. I'll be figuring out what levels next and all as I reach the levels and try to tie it into game stuff. What I like about this character is that his power isn't really clear. It's divine magic, but is it power coming from inside himself due to Monk training or a deity? If so then what deity, since his practice is more in regards to a domain than a specific god. All that can be flushed out or left in the dark depending on what you wanna do with the game. Of course all of it is open to being adjusted. My alignment doesn't really matter to me, it just seemed to make the most sense.

Thank you for reading this garbage.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Everything is made substantially less appealing when you consider that each turn could be spent just hitting stuff, which could end it all faster and then healing can be handled by a short rest spending hit dice, which also saves potions/spells. Part of why I figured using my potion on Yurri would also allow me to "Help" him in some way was because then those two things would actually be appealing and tactical when compared to the almighty hit thing option.

As it stands, it does sound more like all I can do is Use Item: Health Potion. Less useful but also at odds with story telling (having someone drink a potion takes an entire round of action? seriously?). That does mean he gets healed though, since I'm the one administering the potion he doesn't need to spend an action to do it. Doesn't really make sense thematically (I guess I'm shoving the potion down his throat to save time!) but mechanically sounds like what the rules suggest. Gotta agree not having a 5 foot shift move is a real killer.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Thanks for playing for as long as you did Yorri and wherever our bard went!

Updated character sheet to level 2. Newly acquired class: Monk! Banzai!

E: Not sure how HPs will be done but rolled: HP roll: 1#1d8 7(+1 Con Mod = 8)

Lothire fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 14, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
With the new Basic PDF released, I took the liberty of grabbing the character sheets and filled out one for Sion.

Looks like first level Cleric didn't really change much from the playtests. Made updating pretty easy.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Chances are you haven't updated your Adobe PDF Readers in a while. From my research, Adobe use to require Adobe PDF Reader users to purchase the "full" version of the program in order to fill out and save the form. I don't think anyone bought it, as now the upgraded free version (Adobe Reader XI) will allow you to fill in forms and save them. Just hit up the site and make sure you're on the latest version of reader.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The ooze and how to handle it is what is making this part sloppy, I had no idea what we were/are up against. I'm fine with checking up that northern room from where we are now, long as we keep an eye on the ooze since it sounds like for anything not magical something bad will happen. I'd like to move down the southern stairs after that simply because kiting around the ooze sounds entirely bogus. If we head down that way, maybe it'll realize we aren't an easy meal and just shuffle up to the main entrance and munch on whatever corpses our wyrmling hasn't gotten to.

In regards to the chat, what you're seeing is mostly strategy and rules talk. What happens in the thread IS what happens, nobody should feel a need to stay in chat and get up to speed, just the thread. What you've seen lately is something a bit new; me and pd0t used the chat to roll while the DM was there which helped us move the game along. The thread moves at a snails pace for the most part so anytime we can grease the wheels, we're looking to do that. If we don't post what we do, the DM so far as always covered it for us.

Unfortunately I think that's where some wires got crossed, as pd0t was still in the process of posting when the DM saw his rolls and did the math early (thus concluding the bat/styrgapuss was dead before any attack post was up). It was just a weird mix up, nothing to worry about.

And look they're bats I don't care and I don't wanna type styrgaturdburg every time in chat!

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Our mage! We're useless!

Oh well, good luck in your future endeavors.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Now that we're back in Daggerford, I ran back and noted all the stuff we were able to carry back with us. Not really being super precise here but trading it all in at the given values and upping the lower tier coins got us 910 split three ways for 303 gold. This still leaves us with a blue candle, a potion of something (ghepard's got it) and a glowing gem. This assumes we found people willing to purchase gems.

*Also we're heading into the next adventure with this, so level up to 4. Remember Alpha PHB/Basic rules in effect.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 24, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

P.d0t posted:

Alternatively, should we shuffle the deck? Does anyone want to bring in a completely different character for the next leg?

I'm pretty content with Sion the way he's shaping up, but will be running something past Ryuujin in chat. Also, more money is awesome.

We've got time sitting at this tavern if we need it for anything. Whycalibur should be with us now as well so welcome to the game.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
The 1 in fighter is a good move either way you go (make it first for better starting HP?). Not sure what to think about Action Surge, nice to have but I think getting 3rd for cunning action and more sneak is going to work better for you and your new bow.

Either way, Ghepard's been the one to bring the hurt, so I think whichever you choose will work well enough. I don't know which works better, though.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
So due to big Monk changes in PHB, it became impossible for my bonus unarmed attacks to get past immunity. Which means I could not do any damage other than one staff attack against the golem as the follow up shots would do nothing (it had immunity, not resistance). Ryuujin is going to allow my unarmed shots to count as magical so long as I use my staff as my main attack, under the stipulation that we keep an eye on the issue so it doesn't get out of hand (get it? unarmed, out of hand?).

Thankfully those staff charges made up the bulk of the damage the first round, but it's considerably depleted now so I will be holding onto them for a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Sion [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 29/29 (2HD) | AC: 16 | Arrows: 20 | Ki: 2(2) | Casts: 1st 3(3)

It was a good run while it lasted! Longer than most games I think.

Well Monk really went through a lot. I'm not sure how I feel about it now - I hate the reduced damage and the new Martial Arts, I hate the heavy reliance on Ki to do fun poo poo and I hate unarmed strikes not being magical until 6. But, Cleric was great and the flavor of a Friar is fantastic. It would have gotten better at higher levels, which is something to look forward to.

The adventure I wasn't so taken with. Really great depth to the story, but it's clearly meant for rules that are not recent. Still, had a good time! Being able to do skill checks at the end of an attack roll was great, as well as putting that torch fire stuff at the end of the quarterstaff.

• Locked thread