Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
nthing interest. I was trying to get a local group to play this, but everyone only plays Pathfinder.

I'll probably roll a cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
EDITED: Added backstory and swapped out Bounty Hunter for Soldier
EDIT2: LEVEL UP!

Barnabus Gorograd started life as the 10th son of the well-to-do Gorograds of Citadel Adbar. Seeing his prospects of inheriting anything worthwhile to be nil, he set out to explore the world around him. He made it to Waterdeep and joined up with a band of sellswords led by a priest of Tempus named Darrondar Gweth. He went on a couple of campaigns, making some money here and there, and began to admire Gweth as the father figure he never really had. The human's devotion to Tempus was inspiring to Barnabus, and he soon swore to serve the deity, more than just in passing. He left the mercenaries in search of a temple to seal the deal; however, while gone, Gweth fell upon a streak of bad luck, losing much of his men in poorly-planned skirmish. While Barnabus was exulting in the victories of the future, his idol was languishing in the small town of Daggerford, whiling away his days reminiscing about the good ole days.

Now fully a member of the Order of Tempus, Barnabus is traveling through the Sword Coast, chasing rumors of Gweth's whereabouts.

pre:
Sergeant Barnabus Gorograd
4th-level Medium Mountain Dwarf Paladin
Armor Class  19 (16 chain mail, +3 shield)
Hit Dice: 4d10
Hit Points: 40
Proficiency Bonus:  +2
Speed:  25 ft.
Alignment  Lawful Good
Languages: Common, Dwarvish

ABILITY SCORES								
Strength	 18	(+4)
Dexterity	 8	(-1) 
Constitution	 16	(+3)*
Intelligence	 10	(+0)
Wisdom      	 12	(+1)
Charisma	 14	(+2)*
(* denotes proficient in Saving Throws)

ATTACKS
Melee Attack: Warhammer (+6 to hit; 1d8+4 bludgeoning OR 1d10+4 if two-handed)
Melee Attack: Magic Mace (+6 to hit; 1d6+4 bludgeoning OR 1d8+4 if two-handed)

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: All armor, shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Tools: Gaming Set, mounts (land), vehicles (land), smith's tools
Saving Throws: Constitution, Charisma
Skills: Athletics, Intimidate, Persuasion, Survival

CLASS FEATURES
Divine Sense: As an action, you open your awareness to the divine. 
Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, 
fiend, or undead creature within 60 feet of you, regardless of any 
intervening obstacles. Within the same radius, you also detect the presence
of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated. You can
use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier (3).
When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Lay on Hands (20 hp): You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. 
With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level times 5. 
As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to 
restore any number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum 
amount remaining in your pool. Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your 
pool of healing to cure the target of one disease, remove one level of exhaustion,
or neutralize one poison affecting it. 
You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a 
single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one. 
This feature has no effect on an undead creature or a construct.

Divine Smite: Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to smite,
 dealing extra damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st. If the creature 
is undead or a fiend, the damage increases by 1d8. The extra damage is radiant if you deity is good and necrotic is your deity is 
evil. If your deity is neither good nor evil, choose one of these types when you gain this feature. (Tempus is chaotic neutral, so 
I'm going to go with the radiant damage.)

Spellcasting: Spell Preparation: 1st--4/day. Spell Slots per Day: 3. Spell Saving Throw: 12. Charisma is your magic ability for your 
paladin spells. You can use a holy symbol as the material component
for a paladin spell, as described in chapter 10.

Fighting Style: Protection: When a creature you can see attacks a target other
than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose
disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.

Divine Health: The divine magic flowing through you makes you immune
to disease.

Sacred Oath: Oath of Vengeance:
Oath Spells (Always have these prepared): cause fear, hunter's mark

Channel Divinity (Once per short/long rest):
Abjure Enemy: As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a 
prayer of denunciation, using your Channel Divinity. Choose one creature
within 60 feet of you taht you can see. That creature must make a 
Wisdom saving throw, unless it is immune to being frightened. Fiends
and undead have disadvantage on this save. On a failed save, the
creature is frightened, the creature's speed is 0, and it can't benefit
from any bonus to its speed. On a successful save, the creature's speed
is halved for 1 minute or until the creature takes any damage.
Vow of Enmity: When you or a creature within 10 feet of you is hit by a
creature taht you can see, you can use your reaction to utter a vow
of enmity against the attacker, using your Channel Divinity. You gain
advantage on attack rolls against the attacker for 1 minute or until
it drops to 0 hit points or falls unconscious.

RACIAL TRAITS
Darkvision: Accustomed to life underground, you can see in darkness
within 60 feet of you as if it were dim light. You can't discern
color in this darkness, only shades of gray.
Dwarven Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against
poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Stonecunning: Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check
related to the origin of stonework, you can add twice your
proficiency bonus, instead of any proficiency bonus you normally
apply.
Dwarven Armor Training: You have profiency with light and medium armor.

BACKGROUND
Soldier
Trait - Military Rank (Sergeant)
You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal 
to your former military organization still recognize your authority 
and influence, and they will defer to you if they are of a lower rank. 
You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and 
requisition simple equipment, horses, and vehicles for temporary use. 
You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and 
fortresses where you rank is recognized.

EQUIPMENT (Carrying Capacity: 120/270 lbs.)
Chain Mail
Heavy Shield
Warhammer
Adventurer's Kit
Lucky Charm (broken symbol of Moradin)
Souvenir of war (Medal/Holy Symbol of Tempus)
Rank Insignia
Traveler's Clothes,
Bone dice
69 gp
1 potion of healing
1 week's worth of rations

Doctor Epitaph fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 25, 2014

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
By the way, if Sion's Medicine check doesn't work, I can use Lay on Hands to neutralize the poison. Other than that, Barnabus will respectfully defer to Sir Isteval's and Grundle's assessment of the situation at hand.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
To clarify, I think Lacerda said Grundle was going to angle the burning hands so that I'm just outside it's reach? So instead of it's origin point being midway down the right side of his square, instead being the top-right corner, angled downward.

Just making sure, since it changes what I'm going to do. If I'm correct, I'm going to stay and attack Hag #3 to soften it up for the spell (I don't think the 18 max damage from the spell can kill it). If not, I'm thinking of charging toward #2, but that would provoke 2 opportunity attacks from the hags I'm in melee with.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Right, I just wanted to make sure that Ryuujin knew that too. From the last post, it seemed like he might have missed that part or didn't think about angling the cone. In my old 4e game, we had a bit of a debacle about blasts being able to originate from sides or points of the user's square, so I wanted to clear that water.

Anyway, going to kill some hags now.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
I'm just trying to give the Hags a chance to hit me. :smug:

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Just a heads up--I'll be out of town from tomorrow through Monday, so I'll be phoneposting and probably not that frequently. If we run into some combat, my actions are pretty clearcut anyway: attack the nearest enemy, and defend weakened allies and spend my 5 points of lay on hands if need be.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
You probably have to print the filled-out version using CutePDF or something, since I think they intend for you to fill it out and print it out on the spot. I too never really looked into all the fancy things you can do with pdf's nowadays.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Not that it's really relevant now (especially since we're about to TPK), but I completely forgot to take the Fighting Style class feature when we leveled up. I thought I was pretty meticulous when I leveled up, but I guess not. I took the Protection choice, which lets me use my reaction to impose disadvantage on attacks made toward me or a target within 5 feet of me.

Just letting you guys know in case it comes up later.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
In reply to p.d0t's last post in the group, I figured we'd be heading south down the stairs, but I also didn't notice the door north of the "mummy room." I'd say let's explore that first. I do want to make sure we aren't being followed by that ooze though.

Also, can we keep in-character events in the thread? I'm finding that I'm coming home to hours of chat messages regarding bats or rats or whatever and not really knowing what's going on, especially when it's half-mentioned in the game thread? I don't want to, like, rain on anyone's fun or be a downer or anything, but it can make for a disjointed read sometimes. We do have this OOC thread to use for more tangible planning as well.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game still and as you might have noticed, this has been up for two months as of today, so I feel confident we've got a good-enough group to actually finish this instead of languish into TGR obscurity. :unsmith:

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Aw, that sucks. Good to game with you while it lasted, though.

Maybe we should open recruit back up for a bit? I wouldn't mind getting another notDefender or notController in the group. The last encounter made me think we've been playing by the seat of our pants so far, and with a dragon combat surely incoming...

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Posted in the chat, but just wanted to let you guys know that while I'm ok with taking the mace, I also did just get a magic shield, so I don't want to monopolize all the new stuff we get. I'll gladly trade the shield is any of you guys can use it, as my AC is already pretty high as it is.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Lothire posted:

*Also we're heading into the next adventure with this, so level up to 4. Remember Alpha PHB/Basic rules in effect.

This a fact? Time to read through the paladin section in full...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
I see Ghepard as less of a fighter and more of a sneaky rogue. I'd say either go for 2/2 for the Action Surge and Cunning Action. In my IRL game, I've found that being able to get that bonus Disengage to pop in and out of combat is especially helpful, if things get crowded and you're not in heavy armor. Action Surge is also a Good Thing to Have.

• Locked thread