Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Mors Rattus posted:

Aquinas: Within you lies the same fury that can be found in your bestial cousins, yet you fight to keep it from claiming you utterly. I know about your greatest failure, but has there ever been a time that the rage of the minotaurs has been a boon to you?

About a week after my sin at the village, I had made my way to a port town that sat on a river that led to... I don't know, a bigger port town? No one of my tribe ever ventured out this far from our land. The townsfolk were wary of my presence, but fortunately the barkeep at the local tavern favored money over appearance. There I had heard that the people were being intimidated by a gang of satyr who had managed to acquire the services of a giant which they used to crush the boats of those who didn't pay tribute. I got directions from some of the patrons and headed towards their hideout in a cave at the base of a nearby mountain, helping myself to a fallen tree branch along the way. As soon as they saw me coming, they sicced the giant and retreated to the back of the cave. As he charged me, I felt my muscles seize and my vision turn red, and I saw myself wailing on its head until the branch was splinters. By the grace of Karametra, my body stopped when I told it to and I returned to the town with satyrs in tow for them to do with what they please.

That same night I was coerced into an arm wrestling match with the owner of the tavern. I was hesitant to try until he offered a clear bar tab if I won. In what felt like a blink of an eye his arm was down and he went through the floor. Thankfully he laughed it off and I received free drinks the rest of my stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mors Rattus posted:

Nikephoros: The giants are tied to the land itself - the dark bones of the mountains, their burning hearts, the heights of the vaulted sky and more. What does that mean for you?

Nikephoros' father did little to inform his son about his Giant heritage, having been an outcast from Giant society. His short stature and poetic nature made him an object of ridicule among his native people, which is why he moved to human lands, where they at least tried to hide their prejudices in the interest of politeness. That being said, Nikephoros has always felt very comfortable in nature, and can frequently be found sleeping among the rocks and trees. And while he does not presently have much knowledge of his father's ancestry, he may discover it in his travels, and learn more what it is to be part Giant.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay, it is time for the first round of Question Time!

Callisti: You have been touched by the Eikons in many ways. What have they given you that you value most, even now? What have they taken from you that you hate them most for?

When she was young, Callisti received a crystal flower from an unknown Eikon; too strange but to be a sign of their works. More than the gift itself, which wasn't particularly practical save as a curiosity, was comfot, for a time. It was lost over the years, crystal petals falling away and eventually lost in a flight from her home. Ironically, kind signs or omens from the Eikon have been more dear to her than gifts or actions, but she still doesn't know which one gave her that gift many years ago.

Though one might suspect the death of a loved one, such as her parents, or her lover Timaeus' sudden, grisly death by plague. Perhaps most severe is the loneliness of her faith. The whirl of chaos that surrounds her is not seen as divine to most faithful observers, and at times she has even been seen as cursed. For every time a miracle is gifted to her to amaze a temple, a curse might be thrown down at a questioning priest or even just at those who might whisper behind her back. Spending too much time amongst the faithful brings the attention of the gods into intense focus, and though she has become numb to personal loss to a degree, the callous treatment of the gods' own faithful at times infuriates her to no end.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Mors Rattus posted:

Sophus: You were slave to the archons, and one of the greatest gladiators to ever live. You have seen tyrants felled and new polises emerge. Tell me about the way in which you feel those who have risen to lead now have most failed.

Sophus tends to keep his opinions to himself, particularly when they concern those in power. Voicing your dissatisfaction with your leaders, who won their status with a bloody revolution, is a fantastic way to get yourself killed. So long as no one's telling, though.. Sophus doesn't agree with the way the current leaders treated the leonin after the war.

As fellow servants of the archons, he came to know quite a few members of the feline race, and found them stalwart and respectful despite their ingratiating subservience. The leonin gave a more mundane, relatable face to the inscrutable archon overlords. Manlius, the fight organizer from the Coliseum for example, was stern and unyielding, but he always made sure that the gladiators were treated with respect, not to mention very well fed.

While he understands the purpose behind their exile, Sophus believes that the leonin, or at least some of them, could have stayed. At the very least they shouldn't have been forced out in the violent and humiliating way that they were. The old gladiator's entertained the thought of leaving the polises behind and joining the leonin in exile, but never for too long.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Mors Rattus posted:

Okay, it is time for the first round of Question Time!

Lysander: You have been granted a wish by the gods. What do you leave behind you that most makes you regret that wish now?
(also I think you may have 1 too many background points)

A child, one whose sex or name I will never know.

A friend of mine, a mage with wisdom beyond her years, prefers the company of her own sex. Nothing wrong with that, except she wanted a child and her lover was unable to give one. Throw a reckless young man into the mix and everyone ends up satisfied, at least briefly. But it saddens me to know I'll be dead before I know whether I've sired a boy or a girl.

It is not my fate to die quietly in bed, surrounded by family. For a long time I was at peace with that, but the omen on my birthday gave me pause. Knowing your own mortality is quite the heavy burden. And perhaps too late, I realized that I want to leave more behind me than tales. If my child grows to be a strapping man with my spirit, or a witty girl with her father's cunning, there is nothing more I can ask for.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm actually gonna drop; the more I stare at my character, the less I'm connected to it. Sorry!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Orion

One thing about an Eikon; Nylea takes favored hunters on death's door and challenges to a game. Beat her in a hunt, and she will prolong their life. No one has ever won their life back, but...

OUT: I am the only person to escape from Nylea's Hunting Grounds

Orion was a farmer who one day decided to walk away from the farm to be a hunter. It sounds like a simple thing, but he had always been a simple man. The ground could no longer support crops, so rather then force it, he picked up his bow and went to hunt, rather then using it purely for protection. And in this single action he gained the attention of the Eikon of the Hunt. So he joined the people on the edges of civilization, hunting and living off the land.

He almost died, or would have died, hunting a stag, when he fell down a ravine. But instead he was given the chance to hunt against Nylea. Over the course of a month, he realized he would not beat the Eikon, so he turned his thoughts on how to escape, rather then how to win; and the day before the end of the hunt, he latched onto a falling star and plummeted back to Theos.

Since then, he's stuck often to cities, and avoided the places where Nylea's powers are greatest, in an attempt to hide himself from her eyes. But his jaunt in Nyx seems to have given him strange connections to the spirits, connections he isn't sure he's comfortable with. But at the same time, he is sure if there is some way to prevent him from being killed by the Eikon of the Hunt- or taken by Erebos-, it won't be found purely hiding from them.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Kallias, the Siren Sorcerer

Once upon a time there was a siren hatched on a rocky cliff in the middle of the sea. Like the rest of the flock, this siren had flashes of cleverness but no particular intelligence, communicating what simple concepts it had through birdsong and squawking. And like the rest of its flock, it ate voraciously on smallfish, seabirds, and any unfortunate sailors unlucky enough or stupid enough to sail too close to the cliffs. For all this, its existence on the sea winds was idyllic. Flying over the waters, tasting the salt on the wind, dive-bombing a lured ship...what more could one want, after all?

One day, sunning and singing to itself after a successful hunt for stupid sailor prey, the siren took note of a tall ship that had pushed up against the cliffs. Unlike most, which shattered to pieces on the sandbars and jagged reefs surrounding the island, this one washed up almost completely intact; the only sign something was strange onboard was the complete lack of food on deck. Curious, the siren flew down to examine the ghost ship, and found a curious cargo on board. The ship must have belonged to a wizard or a priest, because the cabins and hold were full of parchments and papyri sealed with wax and spell, strange carvings and charms, and other wonders. And by pure chance the siren happened across a vellum opened to a particular section--a treatise on magical beasts, with sketchwork and descriptions in many colors. It was open to an entry about sirens, with pictures and words noting that all sirens were female.

The siren recognized the sketches from the rest of its flock, but then chanced to look down upon itself to compare with the pretty sketches. And realized that it wasn't a very good match for his own body at all. He was a siren, and he wasn't a female...

OUT: I am the only male siren in existence.

Curiosity piqued, he spent a day and a night and a day again meditating over the vellum, and tearing over the rest of the hold looking for more information to resolve this dilemma. And the longer he spent in that hold stuffed to the brim with magic, the more and more all of the artifacts and latent power began to change him. He entered that wrecked ship a feral animal. He emerged from it fully self-aware. And though he tried to get the point across to the rest of his flock, they were of no help whatsoever reflecting ideas he could barely form into words, much less reduce to mere musical vocalizations. Frustrated, he spread his wings and flew off to the mainland, looking for something or someone who could help him understand...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Question time, round 2!

Black Dax: Before you were chosen by the False Eikon, you were a criminal. Who remembers you and curses your name even now?

Orion: You have walked in the land of the gods, and now something has changed within you. Tell me about a time when the spirits of the starry sky made you see the mortal world in a new way, and how.

Kallias: Your world has grown so much wider than it was when all you had to day was fish and sing and fly. What about this new world is most terrifying to you and why?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mors Rattus posted:

Orion: You have walked in the land of the gods, and now something has changed within you. Tell me about a time when the spirits of the starry sky made you see the mortal world in a new way, and how.

I had never often considered the ecosystem of a city before. The idea that, as much as the wilderness is an environment of predators and prey, an intricate web of herbivores and carnivores and many other things, so too is a city. That a city has prey within it, those who do the lowest jobs, who are preyed upon by those above them, in the exact same way that the wilderness does. It made me realize that what civilization is is just the predator and prey relationships of the forests and wilds, applied purely to those races that would call themselves civilized. It was the spirit of a City Mongrel who made me realize that, a dog of Ephara who reigned over the packs of strays that fill some cities, who whispered in my ear as I watched a city from a nearby hill and pointed out this truth to me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
No-Face Agatha

Let me tell you a story. There once was a legendary warrior, revered for his strength, his honor, and his skill. As he grew older he became a priest, blessed by Nylea with a loving wife and three strong children, the youngest of whom was named Agatha, after the woman who raised the warrior.

By adulthood Agatha had followed in her father's footsteps, a devout worshiper of Nylea and a skillful hunter.

One night Agatha was taken, kidnapped from her home by unknown assailants. In their clutches Agatha lost something very important. She lost herself. Her kidnappers stole her face and her form. They had planned to use it to get close to her father, to kill him and to infiltrate Nylea's temple.

It's been two years since the night her father was assassinated. Now Agatha, or at least her mind and memories separated from her body, searches the world as an Eidolon, or something like one, hoping to find a way to retrieve her body to stop whatever further plans her captors have and allies to help her do so.

For my Eikon Fact: The man who kidnapped her and stole her face was someone tattooed with strange runes, chanting praises to Phenax as part of the ritual to take Agatha's form. Because of this No-face Agatha has been searching for secrets to use against the prince of lies and his followers, studying their forms and tricks. The greatest breakthrough of all came as a gift from Xenagos himself. He gave her one truth, obscured further than any other hidden secret of Phenax. During some great battle between the two deities, Nylea created a new type of birds, hunters greater than any of their kind before, with minds simple but cunning, like steel traps. These birds are the Birds of prey. They are blind spots in Phenax's vast mind as he cannot enter their thoughts or manipulate their actions. Phenax fears them more than any other creature. This is why the Falcon has become a symbol of Nylea's might.

(Stats here Soon)

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 28, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Almost certainly the last Question Time.

No-Face Agatha: Someone is out there, bearing your face and your body. What have they done, besides killing your father, that you most wish they had not?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm going to withdraw my submission as well.

Trying to answer Question Time has helped me realize that my character concept is dumb.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Mors Rattus posted:

Kallias: Your world has grown so much wider than it was when all you had to day was fish and sing and fly. What about this new world is most terrifying to you and why?

Kallias has certainly seen a lot of strange things since moving to the mainland--how do people live so far away from the sea air and fresh fish?--but very little of it actually frightens him. You may think it would be the giant minotaurs or the proud leonids, who despite also being half-men, half beast, are very far away from sirens in body and mind, but it's not them.

No, what really frightened Kallias was something he saw high in the air, looking down on a great gathered crowd in one of the amphitheaters that dotted. One man had been separated from the crowd and tied to a post on the stage, and the crowd was yelling at him and throwing vegetables onto the stage. Then another man came out with a big sword and stabbed the tied up man in the guts. For a moment Kallias thought this was some ritual preparation for a meal or snack when the man with the sword cut off the tied man's head, picked it up, and presented it to the cheering crowd. Several other men then went up on stage, untied the body, and threw the lot into a pit underneath the stage. Later he would learn that the man had been publicly executed for "corruption of the youth" and the crowd had been gathered to watch an example being made of the consequences of that "corruption".

Besides the terrible wastage of food, why would anybody go to such lengths to "set an example"? Sirens are feared and considered uncivilized, but they don't go out of their way to dot their islands with shipwrecks and skeletons to make them look more intimidating. And yet here was an example of civilization being much more gruesome and bloodthirsty than any flock of sirens could ever hope to be. Something to think about for a more mature person--something Kallias would prefer to forget.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Time's up.

I've tried to give people as much time as I could, but we're done, calling it now.

The Party
Lysander - Captain Walker
Outis - KPrime
Aquinas - MelvinBison
Euryale - Plutonis
Callisti - Alien Rope Burn
Kallias - DavinValkri

Now! I want you all to make your Eikon rolls, noting which dice are for which Eikon. Then I want you to decide.

See, I am going to be at Origins from June 11 to June 15. You can choose to start the game now, and accept that for that period I will be incommunicado, or you can choose to wait until after to start. I can do either one easily.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Just to clarify/newbie question: everything is taking place in this thread, right? And I'm fine with waiting if everyone else is.

Either way:
Karametra (2 positive) - 5, 6. Mogis (1 complicated) - 5.
Hoo boy. :getin:

e. Got it. Thanks.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 3, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, there will be a new thread going up for the actual game - this thread is for OOC communication.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I vote we wait.

KPrime, 4 = 4, 3 = 3, 1 = 1

nada

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The only male siren in existence lives! :v:

Okay, Eikon rolls are 1d6 per level of connection you have with them, right?

[17:52:01] <Davin_Valkri> Now, Xenagos, Thassa, Ephara
[17:52:04] <Davin_Valkri> !r 1d6#3
[17:52:06] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 6 = 6, 6 = 6, 4 = 4

...Okay then! Oh, and I can wait.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 3, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
:yotj:
Mogis (Conflicted): 3#1d6 2 3 2

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pharika (Complicated): 6,1
Phurphoros (Positive): 6

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Karametra (positive) 2; Purphoros (positive) 4; Phenax (positive) 5

Phenax is discarded as per Fickle Eikons.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just got back from Origins. Thread will go up within 48 hours.

E: Goddammit, Plutonis.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I am still technically in a game of his. It's your own drat fault for letting him in :colbert:

How many do we have? Could we not start without him?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We can, and we're going to. He'll join when he gets out of probation, I can make this work.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Game thread is up.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Can we assume we bought stuff while in Thuxos, or should that have been reflected on our sheet when we made our character?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You're heading to Thuxos, but you may assume you have any goods you'd reasonably be able to buy, sure.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Mors Rattus posted:

You're heading to Thuxos, but you may assume you have any goods you'd reasonably be able to buy, sure.

Oh. Somehow I had that backwards. Just assume I have copious amounts of wine on me at all times. :v:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Sheet will be updated when I get a free minute at my computer. Definitely before I take any actions in combat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Making arty stuff takes longer than I expected. Update will come tomorrow.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Can I roll background to identify what Eikon the priests are working for?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sure. Call it...uh, a Wis or Int roll.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Mors Rattus posted:

Sure. Call it...uh, a Wis or Int roll.

Transplanted from game thread just in case.
Background check to identify Priest markings (Farmhand, Wis): 14.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh god I'm so sorry, Christ.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Plutonis you forgot to add 6 for the Escalation Die. Your Befuddle hits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Forgot about that, thanks!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Is it okay if I go ahead and take my turn or should I wait until KPrime posts just in case?
e: Nevermind.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 4, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MelvinBison posted:

Is it okay if I go ahead and take my turn or should I wait until KPrime posts just in case?

Feel free to go, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
(Potentially) stupid question: Were we just waiting on Plutonis this whole time? I can wait a bit longer unless y'all just want to get this moving again.

• Locked thread