Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE WATCHED THIS SHOW!

WHAT'S IT ABOUT?: Konjiki No Gash Bell / Zatch Bell in the US was a splendid anime about a fight that happens every 1000 years. 100 demons from the demon world make their way into the human world every 1000 years and must find their fated partner and seek out each other to be the last one standing and be the next Demon King. Each demon has a set of unique superpowers that are activated from their assigned spellbook, which needs a human partner in order to work. Gash Bell is a naive golden-haired demon boy that loses his memory when he is sent to the demon world, and has no clue about the fight that he's about to get involved in.

The dub was really annoying compared to the sub, ommitted all the blood, guns, and curse-words. Watch this show with subs. It's an emotional tale about friendship and benevolence (a word which pops up often in KNGB.) Seriously, give the subs a chance. It's really really good if you can get into the vibe the show is giving off, and there are three 52 episode arcs which make up the show that are all really tight.

The show never finished to the end of the manga, apparently because the main artist broke his hand. Whether or not that is the case, I prefer the anime over the manga, but it is worth noting if you want the end of the story.

EDIT: Also, check out this rad as hell opening theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-knE2TA44

Discuss here, or use this thread as a reminder to get your rear end to watch it!

mechacop fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Can't we just call them boys.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Simoom posted:

Can't we just call them boys.

no because they're anime boys

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Umagon and Sunbeam are the best. Victoreem was better in the anime than in the manga for obvious reasons. That is all.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
I see your Umagon and raise you a Yopopo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love the faces in Gash Bell, especially Folgore's. Gash Bell is a pretty formulaic shounen series, but I think that it's done very well.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Ytlaya posted:

I love the faces in Gash Bell, especially Folgore's. Gash Bell is a pretty formulaic shounen series, but I think that it's done very well.

By those standards, so is Yu Yu Hakusho. And everyone knows that series goes above and beyond.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone know if the author is doing another series after that animal one that I think just finished?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Some day I'll finish watching this. I used to pair it with an episode of Galaxy Angel at midnight after my 2-hour train ride home.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've only read the manga, but I always thought that Gash Bell was a surprisingly rad series considering the early premise. Definitely an underrated series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga is the superior product barring a few exceptions(mostly songs), and it also actually ends instead of being cancelled.

It's basically the textbook example of "being so shonen it hurts, but still being really good despite its predictability"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This series was hella shonen, but luckily shonen is good so that also means this series was hella good.

Folgore and Kanchome were easily the best characters, but most of everyone else were also pretty cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Manly Tears: The Manga

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Animal Land was garbage though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chi chi chi oppai

boing boing

boing boing

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I only read the manga but holy gently caress the anime has some advantages https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3b8FBtvJAc .

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Brandfarlig posted:

I only read the manga but holy gently caress the anime has some advantages https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3b8FBtvJAc .
gently caress YOU! I came here to post exactly this! If you haven't read this series, please read it. Twice. The amount of character development is phenomenal and the occasional sight gags make this one of my favorite series.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It is infinitely upsetting to me that Viz stopped putting out the manga in English after volume 25.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

KittenofDoom posted:

gently caress YOU! I came here to post exactly this! If you haven't read this series, please read it. Twice. The amount of character development is phenomenal and the occasional sight gags make this one of my favorite series.

Very gently caress you right back. But yeah do read the series. A lot.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
All the openings for this show were excellent but yeah OP you're right the first opening is just brilliant and everyone should make the time to listen to it.

Also Clear Note is just goddamn broken and the end fight with him was just silly because of it. The amount of abilities he had and how absurdly strong they were was jut ridiculous. Almost all of the main cast get beaten before they even get a shot at him because you can't even approach the continent he's on. Yeah I'm still sore about Folgore and Kanchome getting beaten like that after all these years , what about it :colbert: .

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I named all my guys in Mother 3 after characters in this show. Maybe some day I'll finish playing that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gash Bell is easily the funniest shounen series. I like how that one character in My Hero Academia is channeling Folgore.

• Locked thread