Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sneaky Fast posted:

Speaking of the clippers what is Deandre Jordan's ceiling?

Pretty much what he did this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Parker definitely benefits the most, Ibaka is their best help defender (inching towards equaling his reputation, even) and that's like their whole non-post up paint defense. Without him they're totally reliant on their (very good) perimeter guys to stay in front of Parker and Ginobili, because if they get around the edge and into the paint, Perkins, Adams, and Collison can either draw a charge or allow a score.

On the other end, I think the Spurs fans here are making too much of their loss a couple years ago. The Spurs are a lot better defensively now (from 10th in the league to 3rd) and with a very different roster. Leonard, Splitter, and Green are now all much better defenders who play a lot more minutes (actually I think Kawhi was already playing a lot, but still). And two of OKC's four highest minute players from last time won't touch the court. Their spacing is going to be really hosed up unless Lamb plays a lot and well. Durant and Westbrook are great but I think the Spurs have to be the favorites here.

The problem with your analysis is that you didn't determine that okc always has hosed up spacing. Lamb won't play, they'll give Adams and collison more minutes.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Lockback posted:

Pretty much what he did this year.

Sounds about right, though I guess he could always be more destructive with blocking and rebounding.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Sneaky Fast posted:

Oh I don't know...

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
More tinder to throw on the MJax fire

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jim-barnett-on-warriors-coaching-change-i-think-they-made-the-right-decision-quite-frankly/

quote:

“I never was able to go to a practice. We were banned from practice that way. We weren’t part of the group. I always felt like it was Mark Jackson against the world. It was us against them and he had that kind of philosophy. And therefore, I don’t know Mark Jackson any better today than I knew him three years ago.”

quote:

“Their offense can be improved, without question. Obviously there were a couple things. Communication – you’ve got to get along with the people you work for. Alright? And secondly, was the team going to get any better? Did Harrison Barnes get any better? Did Harrison Barnes regress? How much teaching was there? The big thing that I understood is that Mark Jackson really did not want a strong, strong coaching staff underneath him. And especially a lead assistant. If you don’t want strong people underneath you, there’s a problem right there.”

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Looking at the comments, I'm continually surprised how many fans truly believe Mark Jackson was being set up, or conspired against. Makes you think about how he had so much sway over the fanbase.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sneaky Fast posted:

Bill Russell ;)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
DeAndre Jordan's ceiling is DeAndre Jordan, the 70% free throw shooter.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Tolerable posted:

Looking at the comments, I'm continually surprised how many fans truly believe Mark Jackson was being set up, or conspired against. Makes you think about how he had so much sway over the fanbase.

I haven't heard one word from the players about the whole Steve Kerr in Mark Jackson out deal. Not even Bogut. Is there anything out there about a "Hey and Welcome Coach Kerr!" from Dubs players I've missed or are they pissed that MJax caught the boot?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Is this what they call "docking"

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

PantsFreeZone posted:

I haven't heard one word from the players about the whole Steve Kerr in Mark Jackson out deal. Not even Bogut. Is there anything out there about a "Hey and Welcome Coach Kerr!" from Dubs players I've missed or are they pissed that MJax caught the boot?

Well, the season's over so none of them are required to talk to the media right now and they're all on vacation. Some of them said they were sad for Jackson to go though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Would a whole league of people who were Lebron James be more interesting than the current league where only one person is Lebron James?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Curry spoke out about it, actually:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/thompson/2014/05/15/stephen-curry-speaks-about-losing-mark-jackson/

quote:

I heard a lot of different explanations and reasons. I heard the positions on why management and the front office wanted to make a change. I can’t say I agree with all of them, but I know what they were thinking and I understand where they are coming from.

Basically, he's sad Mark Jackson is gone but understands why they fired him.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

WYA posted:

Would a whole league of people who were Lebron James be more interesting than the current league where only one person is Lebron James?

Certainly not. Complete homogeneity would be terrible. A league where the worst players are as good as Lebron James would rule, but you need levels of talent to keep things interesting.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Lockback posted:

Healthy Thunder are a matchup nightmare for the Spurs, but Ibaka being out swings it. Ibaka is really important to a lot of what the Thunder do.

I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but Ibaka was definitely key in screwing up what the Spurs did. Ibaka is woefully underrated on these forums. Both offensively and defensively. He's a great spot up shooter that spaces out the floor and can kill you rolling. He allows the Thunder to do what Dallas did but with much better athletes involved.

If Tony Parker is healthy this is going to be a huge hiccup for the Thunder.

I do not think there is any way Tony Parker is healthy either though.

The Spurs getting swept by the Thunder this year is overblown. Kawhi broke his hand in one game, didn't play in another, and was benched in the third (presumably due to foul trouble*) and wasn't put back in until the fourth. He's a huge part of the puzzle to containing the athletes of OKC.

*I say presumably due to foul trouble because Pop threw that game pretty hard by holding Kawhi out and tinkering with lineups. Everybody wanted the 17 game win streak gone and he decided it was a good time to try out a few never before seen lineups that didn't feature Kawhi, while Kawhi was glued to the bench watching the Spurs fall behind.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Captain Tolerable posted:

I'm more pissed at his friends who happen to work for wide reaching media outlets. Stuff like Jalen Rose talking about Scalabrini being a snake on a Grantland podcast, or van Gundy giving shoutouts to Mark Jackson during a Thunder-Clippers game.

And I really thought the Thunder could have taken the Spurs in 7. I don't think they can pull it off without Ibaka. Also, take note Thunder fans: this is the part of the season where forum users who root for other teams will tell you that losing your 3rd best player isn't a big deal. Enjoy!

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 17, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WYA posted:

A whole bunch of the interest in sports comes from the different personalities and having 500 of the same character would be monumentally dull writing. You'd never get away with it, even if they cut their hair in 500 unique ways.

Now, a story about the scrappy team of misfit rebels who blow up the clone factory where they're building a basketball army of stormtrooper LeBrons, now that might be a fun watch.

edit: but not as much fun as watching mighty Chris Copeland win the Pacers a trophy.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 17, 2014

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

WYA posted:

In a way, the NBA is already a league of comparative Lebron James's. The best basketball player you've likely ever played against would get destroyed by the guy who sits at the end of the bench for a mediocre Division I school, and THAT guy is a future accountant. He is beaten badly by his teams best player, and THAT guy didn't even get drafted. The worst player in the NBA is among the 0.0001% best basketball players in the world. Lebron James is just among the 0.00001%. In real terms, not that much different.

In short, if you can hit a ten foot jumper, then we are all Lebron James, really :cool:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Sneaky Fast posted:

He has already achieved it

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

The ball pinging off Knight's head on the way down gets me every time :drat:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
That was probably Knight's best assist as a Piston.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

PantsFreeZone posted:

Ric loving Bucher stirred up poo poo yesterday by getting quotes from a Warriors player off the record saying the silence from the Dubs players on the Kerr hiring was intentional:

quote:

Sometimes what is not said—or tweeted—speaks the loudest.

Since the Golden State Warriors announced Tuesday that Steve Kerr had been hired as their new head coach, replacing Mark Jackson, there has yet to be a welcoming tweet, interview or anything else seen or heard from one of the players.

That, one of them said, is not by accident.

"That is out of loyalty to Coach Jackson," said the player, who requested anonymity. "It has nothing to do with Steve. Just meeting him when he worked our games, he seems like a nice guy. It has to do more with how Coach was done. Guys loved Coach Jackson. They'd run through a wall for him. It hasn't really set in that he's gone and someone else has been hired."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2065541-steve-kerr-faces-challenge-to-win-over-players-upset-over-mark-jacksons-firing

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

anonymous player source = iguodala

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

mynameisjohn posted:

anonymous player source = iguodala

I was thinking the same thing

The biggest reason we should all want Indiana gone is because the league is a copycat league and a bunch of teams always try to copy the style of whatever team is doing well or just won the title. We don't need another late 90s/early 2000s era

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Apparently there was a part in that article that was later removed where the quoted player talked about having only met "Steve" through broadcasting. Warrior fans have hypothesized that this means it wasn't Iguodala because he and Kerr went to Arizona together and played in the Lute Olson Classic charity game (unless Iguodala was trying to cover his tracks). Money guess seems to be on Draymond Green.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the best odds are Bucher just making poo poo up.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

hitze posted:

gently caress

He was right

bob raissman ‏@nydnraiss 4m
Mark Jackson to reunite with JVG/Breen for Eastern Conference finals and NBA finals. Jax also inks multi-year deal with ESPN. Knicks? No.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

He was right

bob raissman ‏@nydnraiss 4m
Mark Jackson to reunite with JVG/Breen for Eastern Conference finals and NBA finals. Jax also inks multi-year deal with ESPN. Knicks? No.

Now I agree with the media, gently caress GSW for firing him so early.

edit: You know, I can see Mark Jackson spending entire games just bitterly bitching about Golden State and Scalabrine and that might be funny.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

God loving damnit

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So he's taking Jeff's spot, and Jeff can come coach the Knicks right? Right...?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hand down

Man down

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Son of a loving bitch, Mark Jackson is back in the booth. Knicks should have bitten the bullet and hired him immediately so this could not happen.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Momma here comes that man :cry:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lockback posted:

edit: You know, I can see Mark Jackson spending entire games just bitterly bitching about Golden State and Scalabrine and that might be funny.

And that's what is going to happen. He's back on his soapbox, spreading the good word. All praise Lord Jackson.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Jack's Flow posted:

And I really thought the Thunder could have taken the Spurs in 7. I don't think they can pull it off without Ibaka. Also, take note Thunder fans: this is the part of the season where forum users who root for other teams will tell you that losing your 3rd best player isn't a big deal. Enjoy!

I loving will not. Also, I don't think anyone on here hates the Thunder as much as Bashez, but at least he appreciates Serge :negative:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Terry Glenn posted:

I loving will not. Also, I don't think anyone on here hates the Thunder as much as Bashez, but at least he appreciates Serge :negative:

Me. The only player I don't dislike watching or playing against is Lamb. Hate the colors, unis, name, fonts, and mascot. They are also the reason I have to deal with the extremely stupid YHT bullshit on every local Pelican board or comment section.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
A no no yes shot :woop:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

This is really pretty close to the ceiling of basketball just in general.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some bad news for Seattle, Ballmer is signalling that he still wants a basketball team and doesn't really care where

quote:

WSJ: You've tried a couple times to buy an NBA franchise to return a basketball team to Seattle. Are you interested in the Los Angeles Clippers, if the team goes up for sale?

Ballmer: I have nothing definitive to say. Am I right on top of what's going on there? Absolutely I am. I love basketball, and I'd love to participate at some point in the NBA. If the opportunity is outside of Seattle, so be it. I will learn about any team that comes up for sale at this point.

WSJ: So you wouldn't move the Clippers to Seattle?

Ballmer: If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don't work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive.

Apparently he's been seen sitting with Silver at a playoff game too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

It's pretty foolish to believe anything that Ric Bucher says, ever.

Especially that article...it's filled with the catchphrases that everyone was saying during the end of the season when people were talking about Jackson losing his job, like "We'd run through a wall for him".

I read the article and then completely lost it at this point:

Ric Bucher posted:

"Guys are going to look at it from a race standpoint," the player said. "It shows what this was all about when they cut him as quick as they did. Guys question, 'Is this really about winning or is it about the way you want the place to look like?' "

This is a typical Bucher 'stir-the-pot before someone realizes my career is all smoke and mirrors' move.

• Locked thread