Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Jon posted:

Should we move onto a a Finals N/V thread? I would make it but I feel like someone usually effort posts one...

...which reminds me, who used to make the finals GDT threads with the old NES era graphics? I hope those happen again this year, they're awesome

It's Crazy Ted and I hope he sees this post because I want a Greg Oden portrait and he usually just does the starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tae posted:

Maybe if they had a real point guard, Brooks can finally find his post-defender for Bigs

(For those that somehow missed it, Derek Fisher for 3 straight possessions late game was guarding Duncan, as designed by the Thunder basically)

Well, Brooks pretty much gave up on every other reserve wing he had because he's really dumb and Durant is too tired to hustle much on defense to try to help Fish here.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Panzeh posted:

Well, Brooks pretty much gave up on every other reserve wing he had because he's really dumb and Durant is too tired to hustle much on defense to try to help Fish here.

They didn't need a wing defender! They were playing Jackson/Russ/Fisher/Durant/Ibaka and, surprise surprise, getting killed in the post. Perkins has 1 skill and Brooks put him on the bench the 1 game it would have been useful. If you can't trust Perkins, Steven Adams had been playing solidly this playoffs and is a huge pest down low. If you really insist on playing small, put in Lamb or Thabo who at least have size down low.

Seriously, it was an awful lineup that Brooks stubbornly stayed with despite evidence it was failing.

They were also switching on screens, and the team did not look prepared or practiced at that. So the Spurs basically got to pick who defended them. Again, Brooks did nothing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lockback posted:

They didn't need a wing defender! They were playing Jackson/Russ/Fisher/Durant/Ibaka and, surprise surprise, getting killed in the post. Perkins has 1 skill and Brooks put him on the bench the 1 game it would have been useful. If you can't trust Perkins, Steven Adams had been playing solidly this playoffs and is a huge pest down low. If you really insist on playing small, put in Lamb or Thabo who at least have size down low.

Seriously, it was an awful lineup that Brooks stubbornly stayed with despite evidence it was failing.

They were also switching on screens, and the team did not look prepared or practiced at that. So the Spurs basically got to pick who defended them. Again, Brooks did nothing.

Well, the offense got nowhere with Perkins or even Adams in there, and I think the Spurs would just have attacked Perk on the pick and roll instead of on post ups because Perk is awful when he has to move his feet. Lamb or Thabo was probably the answer rather than one of the bigs. Going small significantly helped their offense but they went small to put Derek Fisher on the floor which is really really odd because the Spurs could easily get away with Diaw on Fish.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Panzeh posted:

Well, the offense got nowhere with Perkins or even Adams in there, and I think the Spurs would just have attacked Perk on the pick and roll instead of on post ups because Perk is awful when he has to move his feet. Lamb or Thabo was probably the answer rather than one of the bigs. Going small significantly helped their offense but they went small to put Derek Fisher on the floor which is really really odd because the Spurs could easily get away with Diaw on Fish.

Fisher was doing nothing for them either. I guess having another ball handler helps but if the problem is they can't figure out how to score the solution is not giving up on defense entirely.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Groucho Marxist posted:

It's Crazy Ted and I hope he sees this post because I want a Greg Oden portrait and he usually just does the starters.

He did Birdman last year, so hopefully he does Oden too. It'll just be a huge dong

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

He did Birdman last year, so hopefully he does Oden too. It'll just be a huge dong

It should be a huge dong holding the ecf trophy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Patrick Ewing hasn’t talked with Phil Jackson about the Knicks’ head-coaching vacancy yet, but he said Saturday that he’d “love” the opportunity to coach in New York.

“I’d love to go back to New York,” Ewing said in an interview with CBS Sports Radio. “My family is still there, I still have a home there. I’m not sure what is going to happen in terms of who they’re going to have to fill that void but if I get a call, I’m ready.”

Why doesn't anyone want Ewing to coach their team?!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WhyteRyce posted:

Why doesn't anyone want Ewing to coach their team?!

The Knicks have been making GBS threads on Ewing since he retired. They didn't even offer him an assistant coaching position IIRC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's like maybe the only intelligent thing the Knicks have done in that time frame.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
No basketball until Thursday this is my hell

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

@WojYahooNBA posted:

Stan Van Gundy's making his first major front office hire, finalizing agreement with Jeff Bower to become Detroit's GM, sources tell Yahoo.

May Detroit have a better experience with him than New Orleans did.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Ewing is a bad coach and an astoundingly dumb human being

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lockback posted:

Fisher was doing nothing for them either. I guess having another ball handler helps but if the problem is they can't figure out how to score the solution is not giving up on defense entirely.

He wasn't even a good ball handler, every time he had the ball he would sit there until they trapped him, forcing a difficult pass. They weren't even very fast traps.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kibner posted:

May Detroit have a better experience with him than New Orleans did.

Hmm...I have the choice between a guy who has learned from RC Buford and another guy. Let's take the other guy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Time posted:

Hmm...I have the choice between a guy who has learned from RC Buford and another guy. Let's take the other guy.

His main job is doing what SVG wants so as long as he can sign his name and maybe make powerpoint slides it's cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

chunkles posted:

His main job is doing what SVG wants so as long as he can sign his name and maybe make powerpoint slides it's cool.

He's the perfect man for the job, then.

Actually, I don't know about the Powerpoint stuff. But he's top-tier at the first thing you said.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I read something in the News or Free Press saying the Pistons were looking to sign Anthony Morrow. Would that be a good pick-up? I know absolutely nothing about him other than that he supposedly shoots threes well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's not going to change the team or anything but it's fine. They have no shooters and he's a good shooter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't like three days between games periods that happen a couple time during the Finals but the only good thing is that it basically means the draft is the week after the Finals and then free agency period is like two weeks later.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

I read something in the News or Free Press saying the Pistons were looking to sign Anthony Morrow. Would that be a good pick-up? I know absolutely nothing about him other than that he supposedly shoots threes well.

He shoots 3s real well, awful as an individual defender but can, eventually, fit into a team defensive concept. Fan-site with a more in-depth look into this past season.

Here's his shot chart:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It would be a more intelligent move than any they've made in the past few years with regards to Free Agency specifically. He fills an immediate void on the team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Time posted:

Yeah Spurs magic blah blah but I can't get over Scott Layden's time as the GM of the Knicks. The other alternatives were Stu Jackson and Otis Smith so this is definitely the least awful choice they could have made from that list.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Time posted:

Maybe they didn't want to make their city's streets more dangerous.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Maybe they didn't want to make their city's streets more dangerous.

Puro Pinche Pistons.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

not...enough...basketball...anymore

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Would you guys say I was crazy if I said that WCF game 6 was one of the better games I'd ever seen?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Would you guys say I was crazy if I said that WCF game 6 was one of the better games I'd ever seen?

It was a really fun game, definitely the best game in the conference (semi)finals.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Phil Jackson was fined $25k for tampering with Derek Fisher :lol:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Phil Jackson was fined $25k for tampering with Derek Fisher :lol:

I hope he convinces Dolan to pay the fine for him then just cashes the check himself.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
All-NBA Defensive First Team
Noah
George
CP3 (lol)
Ibaka (lol since according to bball breakdown the Spurs were actively trying to get Duncan vs him in the post)
Iguodala

All-NBA Defensive Second Team
LeBron
Pat Bev
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi Leonard
Roy Hibbert

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers 63 (14); Anthony Davis, New Orleans, 62 (18); Tony Allen, Memphis, 60 (17); Tim Duncan, San Antonio, 45 (12); Dwight Howard, Houston, 26 (6); Taj Gibson, Chicago, 21 (2); Mike Conley, Memphis, 21 (5); Ricky Rubio, Minnesota, 19 (5); Lance Stephenson, Indiana, 14 (3); P.J. Tucker, Phoenix, 13 (2); Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City, 10 (2); Kyle Lowry, Toronto, 10 (3); Eric Bledsoe, Phoenix, 9 (1); Marc Gasol, Memphis, 8; John Wall, Washington, 8 (1); Thabo Sefolosha, Oklahoma City, 8 (1); Kirk Hinrich, Chicago, 7 (2); Trevor Ariza, Washington, 5 (2); Avery Bradley, Boston, 5 (1); Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City, 5 (1); Klay Thompson, Golden State, 5; Andrew Bogut, Golden State, 4; Chris Bosh, Miami, 4 (1); Luol Deng, Cleveland, 4 (1); Wesley Matthews, Portland, 4 (1); Tony Parker, San Antonio, 4 (1); Nicolas Batum, Portland, 3 (1); Stephen Curry, Golden State, 3 (1); Danny Green, San Antonio, 3 (1); Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Charlotte, 3; Shaun Livingston, Brooklyn, 3 (1); Victor Oladipo, Orlando, 3 (1); DeMarre Carroll, Atlanta, 2; Matt Barnes, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); James Harden, Houston, 2; George Hill, Indiana, 2; Jeff Teague, Atlanta, 2; Dwyane Wade, Miami, 2 (1); Kemba Walker, Charlotte, 2; David West, Indiana, 2; Arron Afflalo, Orlando, 1; Corey Brewer, Minnesota, 1; Michael Carter-Williams, Philadelphia,1; Darren Collison, L.A. Clippers, 1; DeMar DeRozan, Toronto, 1; Andre Drummond, Detroit, 1; Monta Ellis, Dallas, 1; Danny Granger, L.A. Clippers, 1; Draymond Green, Golden State, 1; Reggie Jackson, Oklahoma City, 1; David Lee, Golden State, 1; Paul Millsap, Atlanta, 1; Rajon Rondo, Boston, 1.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Chris Paul is a really good defensive player, and Ibaka is a very good one despite not necessarily being great one on one. Those selections are fine. Allen should probably be on one of the teams and LeBron is more of a reputation pick this year, but those don't seem that awful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was expecting Allen to be picked over Butler just by reputation. For Leonard AND Butler over him, that's a surprise.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I think I'd rather have the second team actually.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
James Harden received two votes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Take away whoever voted David Lee's vote.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

drat, I was hoping for zero total votes for Dallas players but some idiot voted for Monta and hosed it all up.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Ibaka (lol since according to bball breakdown the Spurs were actively trying to get Duncan vs him in the post)

Don't you think that had a lot to do with his injury status and not with his overall defensive capability?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Libertine posted:

Don't you think that had a lot to do with his injury status and not with his overall defensive capability?

Even at full health, Ibaka was rated as an average post defender. His strength is the ability to roam the court and block with his athleticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Anthony Davis got too many votes. Tony Allen not enough. Marc Gasol got disrespected, imo, with only 8 total votes and no first team. John Wall was similarly forgotten about.

• Locked thread