Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nachos posted:

Yeah but the Thunder swept them 4-0 in the regular season

Agreed, Brooklyn has a good chance at upsetting Miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@ramonashelburne
Doc, when asked about Sterling not intending to pay his $2.5 million fine. "I'm not paying my $25k fine either then."

CHAOS

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some bad news for Seattle, Ballmer is signalling that he still wants a basketball team and doesn't really care where

quote:

WSJ: You've tried a couple times to buy an NBA franchise to return a basketball team to Seattle. Are you interested in the Los Angeles Clippers, if the team goes up for sale?

Ballmer: I have nothing definitive to say. Am I right on top of what's going on there? Absolutely I am. I love basketball, and I'd love to participate at some point in the NBA. If the opportunity is outside of Seattle, so be it. I will learn about any team that comes up for sale at this point.

WSJ: So you wouldn't move the Clippers to Seattle?

Ballmer: If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don't work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive.

Apparently he's been seen sitting with Silver at a playoff game too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Kings were the only good thing about early-mid 2000s basketball

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Super Jay Mann posted:

Is it wrong for Peja to always be the first person that comes to mind when people mention "underrated" players?

His post-Sacramento career was pretty lackluster. He had that one decent year in New Orleans where all he had to do was let Chris Paul set him up for open 3s, but otherwise his body fell apart.

But yeah, I won't argue with that. He was a better defender than people gave him credit for and his dribble game used to be fun to watch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Look at all these people thinking they can get Love without giving up any actual assets

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Oh, word? You wouldn't mind trading David Lee and a mediocre bench player for one of the 10 best players in the league?

At least we are at the point now where Barnes is tradeable

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anyone who takes Love I'd imagine would have to facilitate moving Kevin Martin too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Martin would be pretty easy to move on his own. The T-Wolves would probably try to dump JJ, Budinger, Mbah a Moute and Shved first.

JJ and Mbah a Moute are both expiring. Same with Shved if you don't want him. Kevin Martin is 31 year old SG with a history of not being durable and is on the books for 3 more years

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Retired FBI agent Warren Flagg, a 20-year veteran of the bureau, said he consulted with Cuban after that playoff debacle. Flagg now runs his own New York-based investigation and security firm. He looked deep into officiating, as Flagg said, Cuban was considering a lawsuit.
“Cuban asked me what he should do,” Flagg said of the 2006 Finals. “I told him, ‘Sue and you’ll win your case,’ but he knew he’d be killing the Golden Goose.”
When asked about his discussions with Flagg, Cuban said: “I don’t remember.”

Yes, killing the Golden Goose. That's why Cuban didn't sue

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

No Hornets Mardi Gras jersey. :(

On the other hand, they listed that 2003(?) Mavs alt jersey as "trash bag" which is just fantastic.

Any time someone acts like Cuban is some untouchable business guru, they to be reminded that he let Puffy Combs design some jerseys for him

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There were selling those retro Mitch Richmond Phoenix All-Star game jerseys this season. I was about to impulse buy it at $100 until I realized I'm a grown man who has very few appropriate settings where he can wear basketball jerseys anymore

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

the_american_dream posted:

Yea its not like he had a really popular clothing at the time or anything

Trash bags

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Him going to the Knicks would have been the best thing, but I'll take what I can get. Someone free Ricky.

The Knicks are where former high flying beautiful birds go to get their wings clipped

:rip: James White :rip:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

morestuff posted:

I've seen a few of these articles now, and everyone keeps ignoring the best Hornets photo:

The most 90s photo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Do you fuckers not recognize Armen Gilliam when you see him?!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yeah but no one good is signing to play in Cleveland and they will use it to overpay someone lovely.

Why just last season they used that money on Andrew Bynum!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hey Bill whats you're reaction to tonight's lottery
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aUXvqVYGRYo/U3v07PZshoI/AAAAAAAAGzM/fqXUFyu2XXY/s1600/sim.gif
yep looks right

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

It seems like it's an ownership problem first and foremost

Timberlake :argh:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Captain Tolerable posted:

ESPN is really the only people who seriously believe Lebron is going back to Cleveland, right?

I hope so.

It was like the first thing out of Jalen Rose's mouth last night and I wanted to punch him

"YOU CAN NEVER SAY NEVER...therefore that means we can speculate about anything"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

chunkles posted:

Francisco Garcia is opting out of his player option YES YES YES

Dumbest player in the NBA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BIZORT posted:

When someone mentioned who the best coaching candidates were I was jokingly going to mention Eric Musselman because he needs the money and then his name pops up. I liked Musselman a lot, though. What happened with him in Sacramento that catapulted him from the league? Besides the DUI

The Kings actually started decently that season. But they hit some adversity and the wheels just came off as the season wore on. I think he just kept yelling at the players and eventually they tuned him out. He certainly wasn't any more disastrous than any of the coaches that followed him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Dion Waiters is pretty lovely.

Irving backlash is probably because he's not really getting better the way people would like to see (he took a step back last year), can't stay healthy (which isn't really his fault, but makes it hard to depend on him as a franchise guy), and shows absolutely no interest in playing defense. Also might be a bit of a dick given how he was supposedly feuding with teammates behind the scenes. And anyone who has been the best player on a lovely team for as long as he has eventually starts catching some poo poo. I still think he's good, but I think people were expecting him emerge as like a Top 5-10 type player and that's looking less likely. Usually guys take a pretty decent leap from year 2 to year 3 and he leveled off instead.

It was just 2 years ago that people were comparing Irving and Wall and saying poo poo like "one is more athletic but who do you really want to build around?"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

soggybagel posted:

And now JJ Barea is a piece of poo poo. So we're all happy.

I love how in his first year with Minnesota he threw his teammates under the bus for not playing defense in a loss against the Warriors when he got light up by whatever scrub guard Don Nelson was forced to play

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Niwrad posted:

Him talking to Jimmer is one of my favorite mic'd up segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsD0wnKMbUk

BLOCK PARTY...WHERE?!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spite posted:

I love how Jimmer is just politely like "Yeah, i appreciate it" when Boozer says he's trying to get him in the game.

Also I wonder if Boozer called Dunleavy Dun-Dun at Duke.

"He doesn't take them out"

True words about Thibs there Jimmer

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Utah is interviewing/has interviewed Gentry. Hopefully they hire him if Stockton doesn't want to coach.

Realistically they should also hire him if Stockton does want to coach, but John Stockton is John Stockton and if he wants to be the coach you let him be the loving coach.

Wouldn't you be content with thinking that Stockton will quietly living out his days cheap-shooting and schooling a bunch of young punks at some school's rec center?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

McLemore was pretty bad for the majority of the season, but he put up some good showings in that final month of the season once he figured out he should settle down. Ray was also surprisingly good for us once Jimmer got cut.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

alansmithee posted:

Just you wait, when Jonathan Bender Anthony Randolph Giannis puts everything together, dude's gonna change the game.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump posted:

I like that Tony Parker is movie Nick Fury. I wonder if Duncan was the one who put the 3 slashes near his eyepatch.

Did Tony Parker pick Nick Fury because he was still wearing his eye patch and needed a costume to match? Because that is right up there with Rajon Rondo dressing up as injured Tiger Woods in brilliance.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WEREWAIF posted:

Beeel Simmons wrote that Popovich consciously seeks out European players, because they know how to play basketball and aren't tainted with AAU. Is it fair to say that an average NBA caliber Euro 'understands' basketball better than a standard NBA guy? That seems somewhat fishy to me.

Like Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez!

And Jan Vesely

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blast Fantasto posted:

In what way is a bad Celtics team that doesn't look to be good for at least a few years the top destination for Kevin Love?

They have all this young talent...that will be gone once they trade for Kevin Love

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

@ZachLowe_NBA
On when he made that decision about his game: "When I found out you could get one more point for shooting 3s."

Chris Bosh stat nerd

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Not really. He does use them but also thinks there are things they don't say and will play a guy "willing to fight in the trenches with him" over a guy who is analytically superior.

Jannero Parker effect

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vire posted:

Apparently Lance Stephenson thinks he is playing mind games with lebron. It's impressive how dumb some of the things people will say after a lost.

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/25/lance-stephenson-lebron-james-trash-talk-sign-of-weakness-heat-pacers/

quote:

”To me, I think it’s a sign of weakness,” Stephenson said, according to the Associated Press. ”He never used to say anything to me. I always used to be the one who said, `I’m going to do something to get you mad.’ Now he’s trying to do it to me. So I feel like it’s a weakness. I feel like I’m doing something right because I’m getting under his skin, but I’ve definitely got to keep stepping up to the plate and be more aggressive when he does that.”

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hey guys what's going on in Memphis
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....t-fell-through/

quote:

The genesis of the Joerger-Pera problems, according to league sources, dates back to last September. Pera — who fancies himself a pretty good player — challenged Tony Allen to a game of one-on-one. Allen, on Twitter, accepted. Pera, a Silicon Valley billionaire who bought a small controlling interest in the Grizzlies in 2012, poured tens of thousands of dollars into producing the matchup. He invited the media and instructed the public relations staff to issue a press release promoting the event.

The problem? Allen had lost interest. Joerger, a first-year head coach, didn’t like the idea of the game — like many in the organization he found it goofy and unbecoming of a professional team, according to sources — but it was Allen’s indifference that caused it to be called off. Yet Pera directed his frustration at Joerger and, according to a source, directed upper management to fire him.

When the Grizzlies opened the season 2-3 — including double-digit defeats to Dallas and New Orleans — Pera flew to Memphis and held individual meetings with players, sources say. He began offering bizarre suggestions. He suggested Mike Miller, a longtime Grizzlies player who was re-signed in the offseason, could become a player-coach. He brought up the idea that Joerger could wear an NFL-style headset and take instructions on the sideline. When the Grizzlies faced Golden State in early November, Pera insisted that Joerger give significant minutes to fourth-year power forward Ed Davis. Davis played just one. Again, according to sources, Pera insisted that Joerger had to go. Only after it was explained how dysfunctional the franchise would look if it fired a first year head coach six games into the season did Pera back down.

:wtc:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul on Lance: "He’s doing it to the wrong guy. He’s barking up the wrong tree. LeBron is the same way, he feeds off that kind of energy."

Teammates

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Maybe PG is mad because he asked Lance to push the chick who leaked his dick pics down the stairs and got confused when Lance walked away giggling

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

The Sacramento Kings have let the Minnesota Timberwolves know they are interested in trading for All-Star forward Kevin Love – and the Kings would make a deal without any assurance from Love he'd re-sign with them, a league source told Yahoo Sports.

Love Gay Cousins
Gay Cousins Love
Cousins Gay Love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PantsFreeZone posted:

Paul George on Game 4, a game in which the Pacers were down 23 and lost wire to wire: "I thought we outplayed them tonight."

This Indy team, man.

Wade had a poor game so maybe Lance finally got him tired???

• Locked thread