Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
In the alternative universe where the other team advances, who will win the NBA title
This poll is closed.
Nets 10 4.55%
Wizards 64 29.09%
Trailblazers 42 19.09%
Clippers 104 47.27%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I have an extreme degree of dislike for all four remaining teams, so my hope is for a Pacers/Spurs finals in order to disappoint the maximum amount of people in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Spacebump posted:

@SportBlogNYC: BREAKING: Deron Williams does not want to play for the Brooklyn Nets anymore. He wants out.

Wonder what the Nets will look like next season.

That guy who posted the Lin/Asik for Williams/Plumlee swap yesterday was a prophet from the future.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

That was probably Knight's best assist as a Piston.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Son of a loving bitch, Mark Jackson is back in the booth. Knicks should have bitten the bullet and hired him immediately so this could not happen.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I was wrong about the EuroLeague Final start time. The game just started.

It is streaming on espn3.

This is just one game for the win right?

It seems really dark on the floor.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

"Rudy Fernandez crashes the offensive boards!"

That's something I've never heard in my life.

Should we setup a GDT for this or something? This game is actually really good.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Bashez posted:

That put back dunk was sick as hell too.

You do it, by the way (you brought it up). It can double as the playoff GDT too, that's starting soon.

Are we going to switch to longer GDT because of the lack of games or are we going to try to do one for every game?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635321

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Love doesn't seem like a team leader though, he seems like a brash rear end in a top hat who is really good at basketball. He makes lots of obnoxious comments in public about his teammates. That whole team seems like it could work and at least be a playoff-caliber team with the right coach and culture, staying healthy for a whole season, and not blowing like 15-20 1 point games in a season.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Doltos posted:

Lets say that somehow the Heat get swept from the ECF. Does LeBron stay in Miami?

I don't know, how many hypotheticals can we cram into one discussion?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Can the Wolves trade Love to the Bulls in exchange for their spot in the Eastern Conference?

This would be a pretty solid deal for Minnesota.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

You mistyped "NBADraft.net player comps".

<Small Forward Prospect X>

Best Case Scenario: Paul Pierce
Worst Case Scenario: Len Bias

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Even if their website sucks, I'm really glad the Bobcats name is finally dead. One of the dumbest team names in sports, and especially so because it wasn't even chosen due to the ferocity or prevalence of the animal in North Carolina, but because the team owner's name was Bob.

Crazy Ted posted:

They currently have Joel Embiid comped as a Tim Duncan/Hakeem Olajuwon hybrid.

I still like NBADraft.net even if their analysis is terrible. I've had that site bookmarked for like ten years I think, which is not something I can say about many sites. Also, I don't think their layout has really marginally changed much in that time, which is hilarious.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

90s jerseys loving ruled. Give me a flying basketball Sun on a huge sheet of fluorescent purple any day over a stale orange juice t-shirt. Also, a big gently caress off Buck, Raptor, Hawk, Jazz Mountain, Literal representation of Horsepower with a flaming horse. And make everything Teal. Screw all the modern two-tone t-shirt poo poo we got now.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

It would help if the hat wasnt so far back. That doesnt look right on him

He's pulling it back right to his hairline so it just makes his face look like a bald egg.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Article cashing in on more Hornets nostalgia:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-05-21/charlotte-hornets-bobcats-name-change-photos-history-larry-johnson-muggsy-bogues

I'm surprised someone was able to find such a rare treasure as a Kelly Tripucka autographed card.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

morestuff posted:

I've seen a few of these articles now, and everyone keeps ignoring the best Hornets photo:

Who are the dudes in that back in that photo, is that Kendall Gill and Johnny Newman? Also what context was this taken because lol.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

WEREWAIF posted:

...the other team, The Fort Wayne Mad Ants, is now the d-league affiliate of 13 teams in the NBA.

Coincidence? You decide.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Jersey-watch: Coniferous Canadian Camo edition.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I was going to ask what happened to the NBA Draft thread because I searched for it twice today and couldn't find it. Then I just now saw it and the reason I missed it was because it was tagged with a Stone Cold Steve Austin gif rather than the NBA icon for some interesting reason.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

ozymandius1024 posted:

Wait, so there is one? :psyduck:

I did pretty much the exact same thing.

Blame Declan.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632641

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

MourningView posted:

Because Stone Cold is loving awesome, you stupid sumbitch

He can do whatever he wants with the draft thread he's the goddamned rattlesnake!!!!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Rick posted:

If the Lakers or Celtics do move up is everyone going to be a conspiracy whaaa baby even though it's not THAT statistically unlikely to happen?

I'll only cry foul if they are both in the top 3.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Mark Jackson nearly ruined what was a very closely matched Game 2 last night with his asinine opinions and catchphrase spouting. He needs to get back into coaching as soon as possible so I can mute my television more frequently without disrupting game time. If the Knicks have to continue to be terrible to accommodate this, I will accept the trade off, even if it tarnishes Phil's legacy.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Vire posted:

Grizzlies are crazy who do they expect to hire that is better?

In order of preference:

1) An actual bear.
2) Bear Grylls.
3) Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Mandrel posted:

Turns out Ibaka is good at defense

Papercut posted:

I don't think Ibaka would've made a big difference, the Spurs are on another planet right now. It's insane how well-coached the entire team is, every single guy makes the right plays on both ends.

Ibaka basically is the Thunder's team defense. Without him you can pretty much score at will on them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Terry Glenn posted:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/michael-carter-williams-victor-oladipo-lead-nba-all-rookie-team/

A plumlee made all-rookie first team. The second team is comprised entirely of bigs except Giannis.

Even as a Michigan fan, I didn't expect either Burke or Hardaway to be as good as they were in their first year. They were both really nice surprises and I'm glad I got to see them a few times (although unfortunately I had to watch the Jazz and Knicks to do so).

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I feel like Julius Randle is actually the most sure thing in the draft. Every time I saw him play he basically bodied anyone who tried to guard him on the way to like a 15/15 game. And I forget who posted it last year but rebounding being the one stat that transfers almost 1:1 from college to NBA level means he is probably a surefire double-double player even in his rookie season.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I don't think there's a big difference between Splitter and Gasol at the respective points in their careers they are at right now.

Certainly not big enough to be all

about it.

That said, I thought Splitter was vastly younger than Pau but he's only like 4 years younger, it's crazy how long Pau has been in the league.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Almost as good as the bane cat video.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

What about someone who was a legit Euro, played in the NCAA, then became a Euroleague player.

Call it the Erazem Lorbek rule.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

ESPN is breaking a story that Sterling's wife is negotiating a sale of the Clippers. I don't know what that means or how corrupt/nefarious the process will be, but ostensibly there will be a new Clippers owner in the near future.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Barring some kind of extraordinary sophomore explosion, I think Bennett wins biggest bust of all-time by a mile. Olowakandi, Darko, Eddy Curry, Ammo, those guys all at least had 15-20 games in their careers where you were at least tickled by the idea that they could turn into something fantastic if they just played that way all the time. Bennett hasn't even shown a glimpse.

e: This (which someone posted ITT earlier in the year)

Libertine fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 23, 2014

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

not nearly as bad because he was 6th pick not a 1st pick or top 3 pick. I think he gets bested by Nikolai Tschkitvilli (sp???) for worst mid-lottery draft pick.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Boozer and Arenas were both second round picks IIRC. Basically any guy who was a second round pick and turned into an all-star deserves a ton of credit.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The NBA schedule has been remarkably good this year for the first time in a long time. This is just the first major hiccup of the entire run I think.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Nate Silver posted an interesting blog about when to sign rookies to a max extension, some interesting graphs and such:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/when-to-sign-an-nba-player-to-the-max/

This is a fantastic article and it does more to statistically back up my feelings every contract year about how so many guys aren't worth max deals.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

purkey posted:

Yay? I don't even know what is going on in Memphis, but I'll go with yay I guess.

I like him a lot as a coach but haven't they (Memphis management) outright said they are looking to replace him? If I were him I would definitely accept a job elsewhere.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

quote:

Westbrook is generally considered to be a top-10 player in today's NBA, and some people go so far as to call him a top-5 player. I don't get it, and I see no way the numbers make a case for him even in the top-25.

I don't think I've seen anyone make this case recently so I didn't really want to read his whole argument. I don't know where he actually sits in the "hierarchy of dudes" since he was injured most of the season. But I doubt that even at 100% health that many people would take him Top 10 overall in the league.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I still don't know how loving Gortat was outjumping Howard. That just seems bizarre.

White Men Can Jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

It would be hilarious if the 76ers just produced a franchise-caliber PG every year and then traded them to another team where they bombed and just kept stockpiling return assets over and over but never winning more than 30 games.

• Locked thread