Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I don't remember a thing about the controls in RDR2, my gripe was that it was the most "OK slowly walk with me for ten minutes while I explain your mission, also if you gently caress up I will return to do this sequence again" style of game that made me afraid to ever do anything fun because it might reset me to more exposition. I literally gave up on the game because I got sick of dying in a repeated cycle of getting bored during long enforced exposition scenes that you could fail by inattention, resetting you to the start of the exposition.

But the game has checkpoints. You don't have to listen to the exposition twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They have garbage checkpoint placement, you do indeed have the potential listen to it multiple times. Not every mission, but it happened often enough to be a big part of why I bailed on the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 5 did something cool with the dialogue should you fail and have to repeat long trips for whatever reason. Alternate versions of conversations that were sometimes better than the ones they chose for the first go around imo, and if you replay the mission via mission select you get the alternate dialogue automatically sometimes. RDR2 is an absolutely gigantic game so I can see why they wouldn't want to record even MORE dialogue but it is a shame.

edit: Also it's a shame they got rid of the 'trip skip' feature from San Andreas. If you don't want to drive all the way from a mission start point to where it ACTUALLY gets started you can sometimes hold a button to just skip it, if you've failed a few times it'll just show the button on screen to remind you it's there. I think RDR2 occasionally offers you the option but only at set spots.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:09 on May 24, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 did something cool with the dialogue should you fail and have to repeat long trips for whatever reason. Alternate versions of conversations that were sometimes better than the ones they chose for the first go around imo, and if you replay the mission via mission select you get the alternate dialogue automatically sometimes.
After a certain amount of replay they also cut out the dialogue entirely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

I dunno. It sounds like you got the game free with PS+ and got all the DLC free too. A single ad seems pretty fair.

PS+ games aren't free, that's how come you're paying for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reminds me of how the HD Oddworld remake has ads on huge luminescent billboards ingame for the developers' other titles. Seems like somebody didn't pay attention to the story of the game they were remaking lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 did something cool with the dialogue should you fail and have to repeat long trips for whatever reason. Alternate versions of conversations that were sometimes better than the ones they chose for the first go around imo, and if you replay the mission via mission select you get the alternate dialogue automatically sometimes. RDR2 is an absolutely gigantic game so I can see why they wouldn't want to record even MORE dialogue but it is a shame.

edit: Also it's a shame they got rid of the 'trip skip' feature from San Andreas. If you don't want to drive all the way from a mission start point to where it ACTUALLY gets started you can sometimes hold a button to just skip it, if you've failed a few times it'll just show the button on screen to remind you it's there. I think RDR2 occasionally offers you the option but only at set spots.

There was a button that did that in san adreas???

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

PS+ games aren't free, that's how come you're paying for it.

It is also advertising a product where the only way you'll see the ad is if you already own 1/3 of it.

CJacobs posted:

Reminds me of how the HD Oddworld remake has ads on huge luminescent billboards ingame for the developers' other titles. Seems like somebody didn't pay attention to the story of the game they were remaking lol

The funniest instance of that is the skateboarding game from the early 10s where you're skateboarding around to bring color back to the world and one of the changes you make is switching billboards from totalitarian-light messages to actual ads for real world products.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I feel like I am totally lost in Sekiro. There’s a bunch of dead ends and I find a boss and beat him and I think it’s gonna give me what to do next and it doesn’t. Either I’m missing a bunch of stuff or my famed gaming skills have left me, much as my famed love making skills have also left me.

Yeah, the middle of that game is a bit directionless in a way I've never felt in From's other stuff. It's not a problem on replays when you already know how the world is structured and how to progress through it, but on my first playthrough I missed both Senpou Temple and the Guardian Ape and had to retrace my steps multiple times to find them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ilmucche posted:

There was a button that did that in san adreas???

Yeah you could hold triangle (I think) on any mission where you ride somewhere with the grove street crew or similar and a little delorean would appear in the bottom right.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Yeah you could hold triangle (I think) on any mission where you ride somewhere with the grove street crew or similar and a little delorean would appear in the bottom right.

Goddamn, I played on pc so maybe it's not in there but that would've been a hell of a thing to know.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Goddamn, I played on pc so maybe it's not in there but that would've been a hell of a thing to know.

It's on the pc too. It's not on every mission though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not in that many missions. Like maybe a couple dozen

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The funniest instance of that is the skateboarding game from the early 10s where you're skateboarding around to bring color back to the world and one of the changes you make is switching billboards from totalitarian-light messages to actual ads for real world products.

Anyone know what game that was?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Trying the Surge 1 after beating the Surge 2 twice. The fatal flaw that makes people pass on this game for the better sequel is the enemy damage output. In a solid third-person action-game the rules are as follows: big lads are slow, small lads are quick, and a group of blue ninjas is an equal threat to a lone red ninja. In the Surge 1 every other enemy is a juggernaut who can two-shot you, and you will meet these foes in groups. The combat is excellent but you're encouraged to dodge back half the time and run away the other half. You can't really power-level either as you can only upgrade gear to level 1 in act 1, level 2 in act 2, and so on. The high enemy damage means the defence-stat feels redundant, sort of like how Victor Ireland screwed with the RPGs he localized by upping the bullshit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MiddleOne posted:

Shaun White Skateboarding maybe?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I want to like World of Horror so much because of its awesome aesthetic and premise, but it is unfortunately 100% pure distilled rng in practice. Like there are no better or worse moves as long as you're following the clues, just clicking a "progress the actions" button and hoping for the best. Combat is mostly the same deal - attack with any weapon you randomly found and then hope for the best. None of the other combat actions have much of an impact.

I'm not even sure how the difficulty modes are supposed to work in this game. Like make the odds of anything beneficial happening even lower?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MiddleOne posted:

Len posted:

Shaun White Skateboarding maybe?

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZwvSwfAQg

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:09 on May 24, 2020

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is a repeat, but Satisfactory is a game where you build an ever-increasing-in-complexity factory on a planet. What drags it down for me is in the blurb; once things get too complex my brain turns to mush over the whole thing. Even on paper things get hard to wrap my head around (A becomes B combines with C to become D as part of E and F), but in practice it just gets too much to handle over time as I hit milestones and suddenly my clean orderly factory becomes a mush.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
OK, an old game, but I just fired up Fallout 4 since it's been on my shelf forever and am already worried about analysis paralysis 2 hours in.

Do I need to hoover up all this worthless poo poo or can I just go about exploring? Because the game is gorgeous to look at, I really enjoy soaking in the world and don't want to get bogged down into optimization and crafting or worrying about encumbrance. If I remember these Bethesda games right, I can just stick to the main quest for the most part and will find enough to make it through; doing side quests and poo poo when I feel like it. Yes?

I just made it to the first town, found my dog, grabbed a laser gun and met up with The Resistance but am already carrying a bunch of poo poo I don't care to deal with or bother to figure out how it's used. Seems like a cool game and the graphics are great but gently caress me if I need to slog through the minutia of it any more than I have to. I don't have time for that poo poo anymore.

Can I just plow through the story?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

You can get maybe 2/3rds through the game before you get so under leveled it’s almost impossible, then you need to wander round and do side missions and stuff.

With the junk you find, the best thing to do is just store all of it in one crafting station (like the one at the home base where you start). Just fast travel back there every so often and dump everything, then jump back and keep going. You can then do all your crafting there when you need to.

Later on, if you want, you can link settlements so their workstations share inventory, but it’s kind of a hassle and not needed unless you want to resettle the wasteland for some reason.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

OK, an old game, but I just fired up Fallout 4 since it's been on my shelf forever and am already worried about analysis paralysis 2 hours in.

Do I need to hoover up all this worthless poo poo or can I just go about exploring? Because the game is gorgeous to look at, I really enjoy soaking in the world and don't want to get bogged down into optimization and crafting or worrying about encumbrance. If I remember these Bethesda games right, I can just stick to the main quest for the most part and will find enough to make it through; doing side quests and poo poo when I feel like it. Yes?

I just made it to the first town, found my dog, grabbed a laser gun and met up with The Resistance but am already carrying a bunch of poo poo I don't care to deal with or bother to figure out how it's used. Seems like a cool game and the graphics are great but gently caress me if I need to slog through the minutia of it any more than I have to. I don't have time for that poo poo anymore.

Depends on how in depth you want to get with the fort building. It's not a super deep system but you'll need materials to build stuff with and picking up random garbage is one of the better ways to do that

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Manager Hoyden posted:

I want to like World of Horror so much because of its awesome aesthetic and premise, but it is unfortunately 100% pure distilled rng in practice. Like there are no better or worse moves as long as you're following the clues, just clicking a "progress the actions" button and hoping for the best. Combat is mostly the same deal - attack with any weapon you randomly found and then hope for the best. None of the other combat actions have much of an impact.

I'm not even sure how the difficulty modes are supposed to work in this game. Like make the odds of anything beneficial happening even lower?

I dont know why the developers won't tell you what skill is being used in which event choice. I guess it's supposed to be more immersive and tense, but my first couple games where just guessing blindly.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

IV also had three versions of the first driving sequence dialogue for every mission, including the very first one, where you just have to drive two blocks from the docks to Roman's flat. So to hear every conversation you'd stay at the docks and drive into the water twice

muscles like this! posted:

This is exactly how corporations duped post-Soviet countries :smith: Sell all your institutions to us and we'll bring COLOR back to your billboards!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Honestly the story/main quest is a wet fart in Fallout 4 though there are some fun setpieces scattered about; the most fun I had was building weird poo poo with the extremely janky settlement system and modding weapons, and collecting junk to do those things with. You do need to source and collect random garbage for that, but my advice would be just play through some quests and explore without worrying about any of that because resources are endless and abundant if you do decide to play with the crafting and building systems later on, and there's plenty of perfectly usable armour/ammo/weapons around if you can't be bothered. If you can't help but collect junk, dump it all in the crafting station in your home base and forget about it.

If you hit a main quest road block theres enough side quests and stuff around to level up without paying too much attention or carting around a ton of broken telephones and adhesive tape, or micromanaging your stats & perks.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 23:30 on May 24, 2020

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

poo poo I did not care about the conversations in GTA5 so I had to carry grenades everywhere to kill myself 3 times in a row to get the option to skip the driving part that was basically a cutscene and actually play the missions. The missions all sucked anyways. I've never listened to goon game recommendations ever again after playing GTA5.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gerblyn posted:

You can get maybe 2/3rds through the game before you get so under leveled it’s almost impossible, then you need to wander round and do side missions and stuff.

With the junk you find, the best thing to do is just store all of it in one crafting station (like the one at the home base where you start). Just fast travel back there every so often and dump everything, then jump back and keep going. You can then do all your crafting there when you need to.

Later on, if you want, you can link settlements so their workstations share inventory, but it’s kind of a hassle and not needed unless you want to resettle the wasteland for some reason.

Honestly if you're planning at all to gently caress around with the settlements I'd highly recommend https://simsettlements.com/.

You don't even have to bother with all of the other addons for it, just the basic mod is more than enough to vastly improve it imo.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

rodbeard posted:

poo poo I did not care about the conversations in GTA5 so I had to carry grenades everywhere to kill myself 3 times in a row to get the option to skip the driving part that was basically a cutscene and actually play the missions. The missions all sucked anyways. I've never listened to goon game recommendations ever again after playing GTA5.

I hated that but I felt that the game was padding itself out in between more interesting parts.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Yes, but in case you decide you want to get into the crafting thing later, pick up all glue and tape you see. Adhesive is a bastard to find when you need it, so stock up early. You'll thank yourself later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure why the lock-on in FF7R can't keep the camera also locked on if you decide to use the d-pad to switch targets instead of the right stick. It's a control scheme choice that also affects the function and it's strange.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Yes, but in case you decide you want to get into the crafting thing later, pick up all glue and tape you see. Adhesive is a bastard to find when you need it, so stock up early. You'll thank yourself later.

Glue, duct tape, telephones, typewriters, and fuses. Adhesive, Copper, Screws, Springs. You'll run low on all of these if you mod weapons a lot. Armour needs Leather as well, but that's a bit easier to come by.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Not sure why the lock-on in FF7R can't keep the camera also locked on if you decide to use the d-pad to switch targets instead of the right stick. It's a control scheme choice that also affects the function and it's strange.

FF7R's combat director was the lead game designer of Monster Hunter World- the alternate lock-on control (d-pad to swap, hard lock-on doesn't lock the camera) is lifted directly from that game. The weird thing is that Monster Hunter World DOES offer that as an option, with FF7R's alt mode being that game's third option.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

FF7R's combat director was the lead game designer of Monster Hunter World- the alternate lock-on control (d-pad to swap, hard lock-on doesn't lock the camera) is lifted directly from that game. The weird thing is that Monster Hunter World DOES offer that as an option, with FF7R's alt mode being that game's third option.

I didn't even notice it as a problem until I fought the Wrath Hound and it took all my effort just to keep an eye on it in battle while also dodging. So I switched back to the default camera setting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

You know, I really like MHW's gameplay, but I would also never, ever want it in something that calls itself an RPG.

I don't know how to feel hearing about this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I would've liked a setting to make it so left / up / right on d-pad changed to party member #1 / leader / party member #2 respectively. Would've been nice to give an option to get rid of the one-by-one cycling so I don't have to look over and see who is up and who is down.

Cleretic posted:

You know, I really like MHW's gameplay, but I would also never, ever want it in something that calls itself an RPG.

I don't know how to feel hearing about this.

The combat itself isn't really anything like Monster Hunter, it's more like Dragon's Dogma including the ability to tie special attacks to the shoulder buttons so you don't have to use the slow-time skill menu. The MHW influence is definitely there though, especially with stuff like the dodge roll being more for repositioning than anything and so it has no i-frames.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:11 on May 25, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CJacobs posted:

The combat itself isn't really anything like Monster Hunter, it's more like Dragon's Dogma including the ability to tie special attacks to the shoulder buttons so you don't have to use the slow-time skill menu. The MHW influence is definitely there though, especially with stuff like the dodge roll being more for repositioning than anything and so it has no i-frames.

Oh dear, that's actually even worse. I hated Dragon's Dogma, it felt like Dark Souls wearing clown shoes. That might be because I was playing a mage, though, and Drogma shares Dark Souls' problem of 'doesn't know how to make mages fun or balanced'.

I've felt that in a lot of fantasy RPGs like that of late, though, ever since like, Skyrim. A lot of games in that vein of late put so much time, effort and mechanics into the melee combat, but so little into the ranged and magic, that playing a straight mage kinda just feels like you opted out of most of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't gotta worry about that in FF7R, magic is nuts and you can make basically anyone do it to great effect lol

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

JackSplater posted:

Glue, duct tape, telephones, typewriters, and fuses. Adhesive, Copper, Screws, Springs.

These are a few of my favourite things!~

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm sure that FF7R has solid magic, but since I'm on this track and it's completely fitting for this thread, I'll elaborate on how I feel. It's not that magic is bad in those sorts of games--hell, in Dark Souls 1 it's probably one of the best forms of combat, and in Skyrim it's not hard to make an unstoppable mage just through stunlock. It's that magic just doesn't get to play with the combat mechanics that those games often live or die on; no backstabbing, jumping attacks, parrying, in-melee dodging. If you're lucky you'll get some interesting toys of your own, but they're very rarely useful and engaging enough to compensate, you're usually just... basically playing less game than someone going in for a swordfight.

I still always go in as a mage, because when a game like that does magic right, it's a fantastic delight to play in a totally different way than melee combat. Weirdly, the best contemporary example I can think of is Breath of the Wild; if you want to go ham with glyphs and weird environmental interactions in combat, it might not always work out, but it's really fun to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be fair, it's not like Skyrim's non-magic combat is all that deep or interesting either.

But I get where you're coming from. It's probably why I almost never play a mage in anything ever.