Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish Disco had fast travel. The game-world is tiny but I hate having to jog back and forth if I want to backtrack.

I've tried playing Original Sin 1 numerous times after beating 2 and had to give up forever. Both games look identical on the surface but all the sequel's small conveniences add up to make the original obsolete: being able fast travel from anywhere, free topping up health after battle, free respec any time, a journal that actually lists quests undertaken...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish Disco had fast travel. The game-world is tiny but I hate having to jog back and forth if I want to backtrack.

That's what made me give up on it and do my only steam return so far. Story and writing seemed incredible, but I'm really bad at adventure game pathfinding, and I could tell dealing with the map complexity combined with the...lethargic...walking speed was gonna make me hate it if I played in person.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
There is a run button.

It's not my place to tell you how to spend or unspend your money, but there is a run button.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

There is a run button.

It's not my place to tell you how to spend or unspend your money, but there is a run button.

Haha drat, I don't remember seeing it in game and haven't seen it in the few control guides I've looked up. Well, back onto the Someday Pile I guess

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha drat, I don't remember seeing it in game and haven't seen it in the few control guides I've looked up. Well, back onto the Someday Pile I guess

It was a double click to run everywhere that you can now double click and hold, so its much better than launch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mechanically South Park Stick of Truth is a pretty fun game

But every now and then I'm reminded that this is a South Park game by doing things like fighting the Nazi zombie fetus of Khloe Kardashian

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The dialogue in Timespinner isn't great. Lots of "Whatever"s at big dramatic moments.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NonzeroCircle posted:

At least that Kimahri fight in FFX scaled, its as if they knew I would thoroughly neglect him.

Please refer to him by his full name of Kimahri “Little Horn” Ronso

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

More like "oldhornless".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I've just started playing this game for the first time a bit before, right now my main complaint is how ugly everything looks. Color palette is black on vantablack, pretty much every texture (for both things and people) wouldn't look out of place in the Silent Hill industrial otherworld.

Something that stuck out to me this time is that clearly one of the reasons why people ended up keeping detective mode on like 90% of the time* is that the game is often miserable to look at without it. I don't think it was done wholly without purpose - you get a real good sense of exactly how lovely and awful Arkham is and you do get some contrast with areas like the mansion and the high-tech areas...but that doesn't make up for how drat muddy the visuals tend to be. City improves the visual clarity and overall look of things, but still keeps you mired in shitville. I feel like it's not until Origins' Gotham at Christmas and Knight's fully realized city that the art design really starts to work.

*I also forgot how many times they lean on the "scan this thing and then follow a breadcrumb trail to the next objective" thing, which is another big part of the problem.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Jul 14, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Buff Commissioner Gordon is the best. Everyone being shredded in Arkham Asylum is one of my favorite things about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know it's just based on a side complaint, but Batman: Silent Hill is a game I'd love to pay money for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Buff Commissioner Gordon is the best. Everyone being shredded in Arkham Asylum is one of my favorite things about it.

Same, everyone in the city being built like they're auditioning to be Captain America really lends credence to everyone being like 'Who could possibly be Batman?' as the crowd is choked with dudes so broad they have to enter buildings sideways.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know it's just based on a side complaint, but Batman: Silent Hill is a game I'd love to pay money for.

Honestly another takeaway I had from this playthrough is that there's finally enough distance that going back to the asylum in a new game wouldn't be self-indulgent, cheap, or otherwise contrived. The island has a lot of personality and I would savor seeing it fleshed out with modern graphics. I really dug the spooky quality most of the areas have, especially once they're depopulated.

Also would've been nice if a certain spooky side plot had some room to breathe instead of being instantly retconned (and/or ruined by a planned twist, I'm not clear which it is anymore) in the next game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RareAcumen posted:

Same, everyone in the city being built like they're auditioning to be Captain America really lends credence to everyone being like 'Who could possibly be Batman?' as the crowd is choked with dudes so broad they have to enter buildings sideways.

It also like a logical result of natural selection in Gotham. Either you get buff enough to punch out criminals or you die.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

It also like a logical result of natural selection in Gotham. Either you get buff enough to punch out criminals or you die.

:hmmyes: or you become the criminal

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

:hmmyes: or you become the criminal

Gordon is a cop which is already worse than being a criminal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey now, Gordon frequently comments on how he doesn't like the methods and generally useless nature of the police that he is the commissioner of

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you need good guys with guns to protect themselves from bad guys with guns *flexes, kisses both biceps*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Batman, I'm going to need you to take me into custody for the crime of being too drat sexy, and I got the evidence right here! *flexes and his shirt rips off*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Imagine if you had some guns when your parents died batman *flex*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Joker was using venomous snakes from the reptile exhibit to poison the captives? That fiend! Thank god you stopped him, Batman- but those aren't the only sick pythons around here! *flexes*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NPCs in the background during any Batman cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsezVsd0No

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As I said, my issue isn't that they're all slabs of beef, but more that their texturing is as ugly as the environment's.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I guess it all makes sense now why the Joker's ultimate gambit is to become hella swole.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Look, you want nice, you want lights, and color go to Metropolis. Their guy works in the daytime and his sidekick is a legally adult photographer who is on tape saying gee whillickers or some poo poo. Our guy works at night so he doesn't have to see any of the palookas he brings in and don't even get me started on his sidekick. - Detective Bullock, probably

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Little thing dragging down Arkham Knight is that you don't even need a cursory knowledge of the comics to be able figure out who the Arkham Knight is from literally the first sentence he says. And then the game drags out the mystery for ages.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Who's this mystery character we've never seen but who is seventy percent daddy issues? Anyway let's talk about Jason Todd, the awful abandoned fuckup."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also Jason Todd didn't exist in the Arkham franchise until Arkham Knight, so it's not just that the new villain with a secret identity seems familiar, it's that he seems similar to the other new character.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I played like eight hours of Borderlands 3 yesterday while I was doing a 36 hour shift with the ambulance, and god drat that game is fun...when it isn’t wasting my time. They really need to stop bringing everything to a halt to wait on other characters. The writing isn’t bad but the game is best when I’m either shooting or looting, so stop making me not be doing those things, dammit! It’s not so bad when I’m waiting around anyway but it’s incredibly annoying if I’m playing at home and just want to jam games into my face.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also Jason Todd didn't exist in the Arkham franchise until Arkham Knight, so it's not just that the new villain with a secret identity seems familiar, it's that he seems similar to the other new character.

Just make the Knight Deathstroke. Boom, finished.

(I know he was also in Knight, but come on.)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I've been playing Crosscode on game pass and it is a very good game. It's an action rpg set inside a fake mmo. Only thing that sucks is you can't change your class and it seems like the least interesting one.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Again: Arkham Origins is the only good Arkham game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Desert Golfing, holes-in-one are pretty rare. Even when you aim one in, there's a great chance it'll bounce right out. There's 10,000 holes or something in that game; it would be nice if the bottom of the hole would deaden the bounce and let me just enjoy the occasional win.

e: I mean a hole-in-one where the ball falls right in the hole. Having it roll in on the first hits happens a lot actually.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Jul 14, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

Still, might be the smart play to wager on the guy with the insane wealth, zero family, and tragic upbringing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lobok posted:

Still, might be the smart play to wager on the guy with the insane wealth, zero family, and tragic upbringing.

Now i am imagining some kind of scenario where Batman is personally poor but embezzling the funds from people so rich they don't even notice the losses, and the people start to suspect their favorite son is Batman for all the reasons you said when he is really more of a Patrick Bateman.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fishing minigames are often complained about but the one in hades is worse than most. there's no meter no nothing, just one button that you have to time based on a lure that disappears a few times, and pops up "too early" or "too late" if you fail. I have no idea when I'm supposed to hit the button and there's no real way to just mess around with it to practice.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
Forgot you don't have a body in Dishonored and it is throwing me coming right off Death of the Outsider.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

ilmucche posted:

Fishing minigames are often complained about but the one in hades is worse than most. there's no meter no nothing, just one button that you have to time based on a lure that disappears a few times, and pops up "too early" or "too late" if you fail. I have no idea when I'm supposed to hit the button and there's no real way to just mess around with it to practice.

There's a brighter flash and a bigger splash on the one you're supposed to reel in on. And a rumble if you have a controller. Lots of fishing games reward closing your eyes to get the timing right, but not this one. The visual queue comes a split second before the sound or rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lobok posted:

This idea to identify Batman is so old I think it was the plot for one of the original TV series episodes.