Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even with the ideal setup there's still an RNG in the Pocket Racer game and that's both disappointingly sneaky in going outside the established and implied rules of the game and completely in line with how Yakuza does things for the exact same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leal posted:

Any video game with a parry system that has the window be extremely tight, but the enemies just love to showboat their attacks and you're just waiting for them to strike. Then when they finally attack its like half a frame lightning quick strike. Completely kills my rhythm.

Along similar lines, I can't handle any of the NG+ unlocks in any of the Arkham games because, gently caress me, I can't counter without the icon. Which blows because I want to give it a go with all of my super abilities and poo poo but I always give up.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Arkham isn't based on timing, if you see three raised fists, queue up three counters and wait for the animations to execute. It's like a faster The Sims

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My replay of Dead Space 3 is nearing its conclusion and I had to bring back an old school avatar purely because I was reminded of how much I hate the game's story. The first two thirds is genius horror. The last third is pure absolute trite. The DLC is... better than people gave it credit for! But none of them are even close to the slick trimmed-down pace of 2 or the ominous world building of 1.

edit: And I would even be willing to give the game credit for the ingenuity on display if it were intentional that these selfish jerks march humanity toward its death. Sadly it doesn't seem like it is because of incredibly sloppy prose like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23qcwk205U&t=339s
(timestamp @ 5:40)

What in the world is that conversation, man. Isaac and Ellie, two characters who the previous game made clear have way above-average perception, shouldn't be having this misunderstanding. It makes absolutely no sense. "Norton had a gun in my face." "Yeah well he's dead because someone put a gun in HIS face!"

Yeah, it was me. He was trying to kill me. I just said that. You don't gotta 'a CERTAIN someone' me like I'm in trouble for backing over a skateboard in the driveway or somethin'.

Why not just say Norton betrayed the entire group and that is WHY he had the gun in your face. Just explain yourself Isaac, you're even the designated character who is good at that!! I wish that the plot had either focused entirely on these people's petty problems only serving to make things worse to make a point about not working together dooming them all... or completely discarded it and had them resolve the conflict peacefully, just after the moment that spurns this conversation.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:31 on May 7, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ruffian Price posted:

Arkham isn't based on timing, if you see three raised fists, queue up three counters and wait for the animations to execute. It's like a faster The Sims

Yeah, I could probably get it down if I cared enough to keep at it. I just got used to the ABC (Always Be Countering) style of the normal difficulty.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Batman is a dex build so he naturally struggles in scenarios that don't involve fishing for ripostes and counters

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Batman is a dex build so he naturally struggles in scenarios that don't involve fishing for ripostes and counters

Look at them pecs and tell me he ain't quality, I dare you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Look at them pecs and tell me he ain't quality, I dare you.

Synthol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I could probably get it down if I cared enough to keep at it. I just got used to the ABC (Always Be Countering) style of the normal difficulty.

You can get used to Evade instead. If you start doing any score challenges Counter becomes the enemy.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Why not just say Norton betrayed the entire group and that is WHY he had the gun in your face. Just explain yourself Isaac, you're even the designated character who is good at that!! I wish that the plot had either focused entirely on these people's petty problems only serving to make things worse to make a point about not working together dooming them all... or completely discarded it and had them resolve the conflict peacefully, just after the moment that spurns this conversation.

Ok maybe you had to kill Norton but you didn't have to also shoot javelins through all his limbs after he was dead and throw his body off the side of the mountain.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

Any video game with a parry system that has the window be extremely tight, but the enemies just love to showboat their attacks and you're just waiting for them to strike. Then when they finally attack its like half a frame lightning quick strike. Completely kills my rhythm.

Makes me think of how in the Wii Punchout the harder version of Glass Joe attacks sooooo slooooow to completely throw off your rhythm.

BiggerBoat posted:

Along similar lines, I can't handle any of the NG+ unlocks in any of the Arkham games because, gently caress me, I can't counter without the icon. Which blows because I want to give it a go with all of my super abilities and poo poo but I always give up.

I literally just burned through a replay of Arkham City and what jumped out at me was how uninteresting most of the encounters really are after you've been through the game before (or...many multiple times...). I'd love to have Hard mode's more complex encounters but I too really need the counter icon. Game's too muddy and a some of the animations are already indistinct and wonky as it is. It really tips over into being an accessibility issue rather than a pure difficulty modulation one, IMO.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have finally gotten around to playing Disco Elysium, by way of my PS4. I have the font size set all the way up and holy crap it's still loving tiny. Some of it is unreadably small if I'm laying on my couch to play.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also I decided to take the plunge and in TYOOL 2021 I have started playing Fallout 3, so expect lots of kvetching about that.

Top of the list: The fact that I can't in fact just say "I would like to play Fallout 3 now" hahah what an idiot, what an absolute buffoon. No, you have to follow a laborious step by step process to make the game function. Sure, someone was nice enough to make a mostly accurate and clear guide on Steam for how to do it, but it's a looooooot of tedious "now unzip this fix into this folder, but also first run this slightly dodgy EXE to unfuck this part of the game, and then..." poo poo. And as the cherry on top I know I'm going to have to do the same song and dance again when I get around to New Vegas.

As for the game itself, it's remarkable how I ran into the exact same stuff that put me off playing waaaay back in the day. You piss off Burke/Tenpenny? (Or better yet, never actually meet them and just disarm the nuke immediately?) Enjoy getting ambushed by Talon mercs constantly forever even if you're only level 2 and can barely defend yourself yet. Rad scorpions are insanely, idiotically tough and you will encounter them pretty quickly if you go do the Arefu stuff. Combat in general is very spongy yet swingy, not helped by melee weapons as usual being a weird afterthought.

Navigation is godawful. Skyrim and Fallout 4 aren't perfect, but they do a vastly better job of allowing you to head for the horizon and visually navigate your way towards points of interest, slightly course correcting as stuff pops up on the compass. In F3 you pretty much have to point towards a compass blips and mindlessly head straight for it because there's never not a hill or a cliff or a burnt out, functionless building or a giant wall or something blocking your line of sight. Even Megaton, the basic, most fundamental hub town is actually kinda hard to see and make for after exiting Vault 101. You'd probably be hosed without the signs pointing towards it. And then once inside it's a clusterfuck of inconvenient walkways.

The main gameplay loop feels like fighting against quicksand. Your weapons and armor are always degrading and the only reliable way to heal is via stimpaks (which barely do anything without investing in Medicine). The entire loop is less about running around finding cool loot and constantly acquiring power and more about running around looking for stuff to convert into repairs/caps to keep your existing crap operable and fill up on yet more stimpaks. Obviously playing a melee build is exacerbating these issues, but I'm pretty sure they're universal. Leveling up feels like the least exciting thing because so much of your power is hidden in your skills and most of the perks are painfully boring and only get mildly interesting around level 14 or so.

I'm pretty sure it was ITT that people complained that Fallout 4 had noticeably fewer hand-crafted quests and I have to ask as compared to what? The ratio of points of interest to things to actually do in Fallout 3 is totally hosed, and not helped by the fact that each side quest is individually hidden away at 1 specific bespoke location so if you never blunder across Canterbury Commons then oops one of the game's better quests (and like 1/20th of total quests) basically doesn't exist. The numerical bulk of the "quests" are actually just unmarked rumors that you can usually solve in about five seconds with a single speech check or whatever.

Edit: Oh and this applies to companions too (something that might make the combat a bit less harrowing). In Fallout 4 you're flush with companion choices almost immediately. In Fallout 3 you can maybe hire the one dude in Megaton...assuming you happened to actually come across him because he's just some random dude who wanders around town. I don't necessarily need the game to shovel content down my gaping maw ASAP but Fallout 4 does such a better job of building up momentum and then taking the training wheels off. Meanwhile everything that's happened in 3 has felt accidental and random.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:47 on May 7, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

And as the cherry on top I know I'm going to have to do the same song and dance again when I get around to New Vegas.

New Vegas doesn’t throw shitfits about CPUs with more than two cores or Windows versions newer than Vista so you should be good.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

My replay of Dead Space 3 is nearing its conclusion and I had to bring back an old school avatar purely because I was reminded of how much I hate the game's story. The first two thirds is genius horror. The last third is pure absolute trite. The DLC is... better than people gave it credit for! But none of them are even close to the slick trimmed-down pace of 2 or the ominous world building of 1.

edit: And I would even be willing to give the game credit for the ingenuity on display if it were intentional that these selfish jerks march humanity toward its death. Sadly it doesn't seem like it is because of incredibly sloppy prose like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23qcwk205U&t=339s
(timestamp @ 5:40)

What in the world is that conversation, man. Isaac and Ellie, two characters who the previous game made clear have way above-average perception, shouldn't be having this misunderstanding. It makes absolutely no sense. "Norton had a gun in my face." "Yeah well he's dead because someone put a gun in HIS face!"

Yeah, it was me. He was trying to kill me. I just said that. You don't gotta 'a CERTAIN someone' me like I'm in trouble for backing over a skateboard in the driveway or somethin'.

You could have used stasis on him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

New Vegas doesn’t throw shitfits about CPUs with more than two cores or Windows versions newer than Vista so you should be good.

As I understand it there's still a fair bit of work to do under the hood. Maybe it's more in the direction of making NV work better vs. making it run at all, but people still recommend a pretty lengthy list of stuff to add on top even if you're playing vanilla.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bethesda fans are famous for spending hours installing a gigantic list of mods and then not actually playing the game so I would take their recommendations with a large chunk of salt.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

As I understand it there's still a fair bit of work to do under the hood. Maybe it's more in the direction of making NV work better vs. making it run at all, but people still recommend a pretty lengthy list of stuff to add on top even if you're playing vanilla.

I played it on three modern computers in the past year without issues, it definitely doesn’t have nearly the compatibility problems FO3 did. Which makes sense, multi core was a far more established thing in 2010 than it was in 2008.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Bethesda fans are famous for spending hours installing a gigantic list of mods and then not actually playing the game so I would take their recommendations with a large chunk of salt.

I mean, the only actual Mod I have installed right now is the standard Unofficial Patch. Everything else is in service of some kind of vital or extremely useful technical fix.

Though I will say that I do wonder a lot about whether or not the people who complain the most about how irredeemably buggy Bethesda games are also the ones who install 200 mods because they're "necessary to make the game fun".

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I played it on three modern computers in the past year without issues, it definitely doesn’t have nearly the compatibility problems FO3 did. Which makes sense, multi core was a far more established thing in 2010 than it was in 2008.

I don't doubt it. Just seems like you can head off a lot of lingering engine jank and make a good game better for it. Just off the top of my head, apparently raising the maximum allowed mods actually improves load times and framerate regardless of how many mods you actually install. :wtc: And there's real simple stuff like NV Anti-Crash.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:46 on May 7, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Bizarrely, the last time I tried to play Fallout 3 I found it easier to get it working by using Tale of Two Watelands to turn it into a mod for New Vegas rather than just trying playing it as a separate game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

I don't doubt it. Just seems like you can head off a lot of lingering engine jank and make a good game better for it. Just off the top of my head, apparently raising the maximum allowed mods actually improves load times and framerate regardless of how many mods you actually install. :wtc: And there's real simple stuff like NV Anti-Crash.

I do wonder how much the frame rate increase/load time decrease is for it now that modern hardware can just brute force the hell out of it. I should see what my frame rate is on my 3060Ti, I wouldn’t be shocked if I’m maxing out my monitor without tweaking it.

Veotax posted:

Bizarrely, the last time I tried to play Fallout 3 I found it easier to get it working by using Tale of Two Watelands to turn it into a mod for New Vegas rather than just trying playing it as a separate game.

3 has some unique technical problems because of its issues with new multi core CPUs, new windows, and lingering GFWL stuff. I don’t think GFWL ever got properly ripped out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You basically need to install the shambling husk of GFWL just long enough to launch the game once, so it can generate all the relevant .ini files and such. Then you promptly install a discrete GFWL disabler or use an alternate launcher that bypasses it as part of its general functions.

As for brute forcing with hardware, I still get a rare micro-hitch here and there on a 1080 even after all the patching. But on the plus side, load times are basically not even a thing. By comparison, Fallout 4 wheezed and creaked every time I'd ask it to load the Commonwealth, which is apparently due to dumb framerate-related nonsense.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:38 on May 7, 2021

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

The main gameplay loop feels like fighting against quicksand. Your weapons and armor are always degrading and the only reliable way to heal is via stimpaks (which barely do anything without investing in Medicine). The entire loop is less about running around finding cool loot and constantly acquiring power and more about running around looking for stuff to convert into repairs/caps to keep your existing crap operable and fill up on yet more stimpaks. Obviously playing a melee build is exacerbating these issues, but I'm pretty sure they're universal. Leveling up feels like the least exciting thing because so much of your power is hidden in your skills and most of the perks are painfully boring and only get mildly interesting around level 14 or so.

Part of why the leveling feels so empty is that enemies are leveled so you're just treading water with every level.

John Murdoch posted:

I just install NV and go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bony tony posted:

You could have used stasis on him.

Oh, yeah? Well how about I let's play the entire game over again and portray it in a slightly more positive but still humorous and thorough light with Blind Sally and Crow just to show for absolute certain that there is no way you could possibly have used stasis on Norton?? How about that, huh???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ok maybe you had to kill Norton but you didn't have to also shoot javelins through all his limbs after he was dead and throw his body off the side of the mountain.

I did what was right. I did what was necessary.

edit: but IF you recall this is actually slander, as Dead Space 3 robbed me of my chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZN5RjlDA5I&t=1492s
(timestamp 25:00)

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:32 on May 7, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Just installing them both and playing them at once with tale of two wastelands seems to work fine. But that's not for everyone. I did that, and now I'm just sitting on the precipice of maybe modding it but I feel like dying a little every time I think about it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love how in Dead Space 3 the co-op character barely has character development if you are playing single player... until close to the end. Then you get some lines right before the final boss section that initially make you wonder why he’s so chatty when you should really be doing a BIG THING.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Dead Space 1 is the best, but i'll always at least tolerate DS3 because it introduced this gem into my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDt_ty4pO-A

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HenryEx posted:

Dead Space 1 is the best, but i'll always at least tolerate DS3 because it introduced this gem into my life

People say Dead Space 3 is no longer a horror game but when it includes this genre of music I must ask how they can be so sure

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Still mad that DS3's Isaac didn't turn out to be hallucinated by Carver if you played coop

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ugh. I forgot how bad the voice acting in Heroes of Might & Magic 6 is in the Sanctuary campaign. The Sanctuary is themed after east Asian mythology, drawing on Japan in particular. The fake Japanese accents for the naga are so bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

Part of why the leveling feels so empty is that enemies are leveled so you're just treading water with every level.

People say this but in my experience it's not really true. I've actually started getting past the hump in 3, though I doubt I'll outpace the power curve quite as hard as I did in 4 or Skyrim.

Good news: I finally got a companion. Bad news: Companions steal XP. :argh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HenryEx posted:

gently caress i feared it would be that track when i clicked the url

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sally posted:

gently caress i feared it would be that track when i clicked the url

Fun fact, the title is misspelled in the game's credits, it's listed as "I was made the hers". The credits themselves contain so many people and languages that they are about half an hour long.

EA

edit: I mean you were in the LP so I guess you would know specifically but just in general I wanted to make mention because man. Where was the oversight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ruffian Price posted:

Still mad that DS3's Isaac didn't turn out to be hallucinated by Carver if you played coop

This would have been so drat sick. In a way Carver becomes Isaac's dementia patient caretaker as of the DLC so it would be awesome for the final, final reveal to be that Isaac was never really there and it was literal projection on Carver's part. They could have had Isaac die during or at the end of the shuttle crash sequence to provide a 'cut point' where Isaac 'becomes' unreal, given that the whole REASON they crash is he's extremely overconfident in the group's ability to fly the thing. Ellie literally says "Isaac, please... be alive!" when you reach the wreckage and discover a message showing they're all okay, so... what if he wasn't?

edit: And hey they even justified why you suddenly have exactly twice the firepower, I mean your gun/power tool can be two guns/power tools simultaneously now thanks to the weapon crafting so

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:50 on May 7, 2021

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve run into another string of bad luck in EU4. During my last major war the game decided my military leadership was too strong or something so four generals (out of the three I started the war with) died within a span of four months capped off by my really good ruler dying at the age of like 30.

I’ve had so many generals die on me for no reason I’ve started naming them Mayfly #1, Mayfly #2, etc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

People say this but in my experience it's not really true. I've actually started getting past the hump in 3, though I doubt I'll outpace the power curve quite as hard as I did in 4 or Skyrim.

Good news: I finally got a companion. Bad news: Companions steal XP. :argh:

If you'd like to outpace the curve in a very major way, Operation Anchorage makes Stealth/Melee builds a cakewalk and The Pitt gives you a silenced weapon that makes Ranged Stealth one as well

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hood: Outlaws and Legends is a pretty fun little multiplayer game. But it comes two unforgivable sins: defaulting to voice-activated mics and not letting you rebind keys. For some ungodly reason, Push-to-talk is set to Y on keyboard.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Also I decided to take the plunge and in TYOOL 2021 I have started playing Fallout 3, so expect lots of kvetching about that.

please dont do this to yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stexils posted:

please dont do this to yourself

It's a lot of fun sometimes but never turns into a cohesive game like 1/2/NV. My college roomate and I hit the point where we just didn't care anymore.