Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My history with RE engine games is mostly on PC, but in my experience the screen tends to look really washed out unless you adjust the contrast to be 2-3 shades darker than "you can no longer see the logo" dark, if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You might be playing the game with Limited rgb instead of Full or vice versa. The game may have misinterpreted what type of display you have. If there's an option for rgb range try swapping it, if you're on consoles you can do it via the dashboard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CJacobs posted:

You might be playing the game with Limited rgb instead of Full or vice versa. The game may have misinterpreted what type of display you have. If there's an option for rgb range try swapping it, if you're on consoles you can do it via the dashboard.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot

Weird thing is though, this is the only game I have where I've seen this happen.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 14:05 on May 8, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's an RE Engine thing. Happens also in 7, RE2make, and DMCV off the top of my head. Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn have similarly busted HDR, where it'll try to show you an HDR picture on your not-HDR TV and it looks like piss wash rear end garbage but doesn't tell you why.

edit: Monster Hunter World as well, I recall folks complaining a ton about it looking super grey and desaturated and washed out. Turned out to be because the graphics settings turned on HDR even though they didn't have a compatible screen for some reason.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:01 on May 8, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
[E] Open Metal Box (Empty)

That is a series of characters that will haunt me for a while.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

John Murdoch posted:

[E] Open Metal Box (Empty)

That is a series of characters that will haunt me for a while.

Ah, but eventually one of them will have a metro ticket, a pencil, and five bottle caps inside!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Amnesia Rebirth recently released an Adventure Mode version of the game geared toward people like me who enjoy narrative first person puzzle games, and added some new puzzles on top of it, while removing the stalker-monster mechanics and sanity effects.

It did not remove the scripted jumpscares and monster "preview" moments.

The game has an area designed to confuse and tunnel you through a changing maze, that halfway through a monster jumps onto your face from offscreen.

My audio card is bugged and "normal volume" for me is set to 2.

I almost poo poo myself today. :saddowns:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I finished Control today (minus the DLC). Boy those last bits of the game weren't great.

I was expecting way more out of the final area and instead they gave me the Virtual Boy battle arena. Yuck.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Medium is a fantastically atmospheric game, helped by me being a sucker for Soviet era architecture. I loved the way ghosts were presented, the story was intriguing, and then came The Monster.

Most horror games have a capital M Monster, like Nemesis, Pyramid Head, and Tyrant. This Monster was introduced with a chase scene that was about as tightly scripted as Dragon's Lair, and if you don't press the right button at the right time, it restarts.

Then came the stealth section, in which, of the Monster sees you, it kills you and spits you back at the beginning.

The combination of these did three things for me. First, it killed the game's momentum. Second, it sucked all of the tension out of it, because dying just to restart the section with no variation in it makes death weightless. Third, they made me get utterly bored with the game and stop playing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not super interested in RE8 because Ethan Winters might be the most surgically designed protagonist to not be interesting to me since DS1 Isaac Clarke.

Which is great because now the game came out and for some reason youtube algorithms were like 'Yo look here's all the boss fights and unique vore deaths in the game' If it was a game I wanted to play myself, I'd be so mad, but I haven't seen a single Miles Morales spoiler at all somehow.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's a really goddamn good game though, maybe the best since RE4. Name me another protagonist that deals so well with extremities as a replaceable quantity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not super interested in RE8 because Ethan Winters might be the most surgically designed protagonist to not be interesting to me since DS1 Isaac Clarke.

Which is great because now the game came out and for some reason youtube algorithms were like 'Yo look here's all the boss fights and unique vore deaths in the game' If it was a game I wanted to play myself, I'd be so mad, but I haven't seen a single Miles Morales spoiler at all somehow.

They actually seem to have realized this and that's why Ethan is so drat interesting. They outright refuse to show his face in promotional materials but you can see it in RE7 plain as day if you look at reflective surfaces and he's just... a dude. Just looks like some rear end in a top hat who works in an office building. For once, the blank slate normal guy protagonist in a horror game actually is just a normal guy with nothing interesting about him until the game's events and that's so refreshing in a weird way because they treat him like he's a fuckin badass. Them refusing to show his face and making his eye glow red and evil in the Ethan Must Die gamemode thing is their acknowledgement that yeah he is just Player 1 who likes Family and is Middle Class Normal Guy In Extraordinary Circumstance... but so? Why can't that be the thing about him that's interesting?

edit: Chris is somebody, do you like him?? NOBODY likes Chris and he's also in RE8

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:45 on May 9, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Beef Boy Chris is so much less interesting. At least he doesn't have Little Beef with him anymore

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

They actually seem to have realized this and that's why Ethan is so drat interesting. They outright refuse to show his face in promotional materials but you can see it in RE7 plain as day if you look at reflective surfaces and he's just... a dude. Just looks like some rear end in a top hat who works in an office building. For once, the blank slate normal guy protagonist in a horror game actually is just a normal guy with nothing interesting about him until the game's events and that's so refreshing in a weird way because they treat him like he's a fuckin badass. Them refusing to show his face and making his eye glow red and evil in the Ethan Must Die gamemode thing is their acknowledgement that yeah he is just Player 1 who likes Family and is Middle Class Normal Guy In Extraordinary Circumstance... but so? Why can't that be the thing about him that's interesting?

edit: Chris is somebody, do you like him?? NOBODY likes Chris and he's also in RE8

I mean, if you're gonna make your protagonist just 'A guy' then make Josh the main character then. I dunno. :shrug:

I lost interest in Chris once they decided to stop designing him like he wandered out of Street Fighter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, if you're gonna make your protagonist just 'A guy' then make Josh the main character then. I dunno. :shrug:

I lost interest in Chris once they decided to stop designing him like he wandered out of Street Fighter.

Oh don't get me wrong I agree they could have done more with 'just a guy' and one particular twist pretty far into RE8 regarding Ethan is similar but not the same sentiment. Bruce Willis is just a guy in Die Hard, but people quote that movie to this day cuz he had charisma and took action. Seems Capcom wants Ethan to be that for them, just some guy who learns to make quips once he loses his shoes, whether they succeeded or not I dunno but I feel that's their intent at least

edit: Contrast with Outlast 2, which has an alarmingly similar story to RE8 in many ways but it is completely and utterly miserable because why give a drat about any of these people, they are redshirts and the game shows you they are over and over. Well, RE7/8 is like Ethan is the guy on the bridge WEARING a red shirt, but that don't make him a redshirt. Sadly I think he turned out a bit lame instead though.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:02 on May 9, 2021

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I don't know what it is with RE8 but everyone seems to have just unconsciously decided across the board to no longer give a gently caress about spoilers for this title. Like, more so than with any other high profile game release lately; I've had the entire game's story just kind of told to me in bits and pieces everywhere I go on the internet and it's weird and I don't like it and it's only been out for like a day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuebot posted:

I don't know what it is with RE8 but everyone seems to have just unconsciously decided across the board to no longer give a gently caress about spoilers for this title. Like, more so than with any other high profile game release lately; I've had the entire game's story just kind of told to me in bits and pieces everywhere I go on the internet and it's weird and I don't like it and it's only been out for like a day.

Yeah I actually haven't even played it myself, the only reason I said there's Ethan Development and didn't then explain what the thing is is because this happened to me and it's frustrating

edit: vvv he was recovering from a sports injury during re7 and had to drop the roids for a bit ok, he's back on them now don't worry

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:18 on May 9, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chris might be more recognisable if Capcom didn't keep redesigning him with every appearance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Chris might be more recognisable if Capcom didn't keep redesigning him with every appearance.

He was fairly consistent until 5; the leap from code veronica to 5 was a huge, if just because of the massive muscles, stubble and higher graphical quality giving him actual hair. But even then he was still recognizable in his basic outfit and design, despite being somewhat older and surlier than the more cartoonish chrises of the PS1/2 era. Then 6 just decides to crank that grizzled knob all the way up and completely replaces his traditional outfit with even more tacticool military gear until he loooked like a character fresh out of spec ops or call of duty. And the games after that just kept on with that trend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nuebot posted:

These days you have to take a youtube sabbatical a whole week before and after any game you want to play comes out because the speed at which spoilers hit your recommended feed is insane, even if you've only ever searched for that game in passing. The minute after God of War's NDA lifted in 2018 my home screen was hit by a ton of spoilerific titles, which was annoying because that game is very easily spoiled.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

He was fairly consistent until 5; the leap from code veronica to 5 was a huge, if just because of the massive muscles, stubble and higher graphical quality giving him actual hair. But even then he was still recognizable in his basic outfit and design, despite being somewhat older and surlier than the more cartoonish chrises of the PS1/2 era. Then 6 just decides to crank that grizzled knob all the way up and completely replaces his traditional outfit with even more tacticool military gear until he loooked like a character fresh out of spec ops or call of duty. And the games after that just kept on with that trend.

Chris in 6 and 8 both look like they could still be the dude from 5, just older. 7 is weird, I guess Chris was sick that week in Louisiana so he sent his understudy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Crowetron posted:

Chris in 6 and 8 both look like they could still be the dude from 5, just older. 7 is weird, I guess Chris was sick that week in Louisiana so he sent his understudy.

I dunno, I watched a friend play the opening with a bunch of other people and only two of us even recognized chris as being chris given his weskery outfit and new haircut in 8.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I dunno, I watched a friend play the opening with a bunch of other people and only two of us even recognized chris as being chris given his weskery outfit and new haircut in 8.

The lighting is really harsh in that opening scene. Plus Capcom hates voice actor unions, so now he's got a New York accent sometimes, so I don't blame you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris now has the same VO as Carlos, so there's that.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Someone on Twitter said Ethan is what happens if you gave Griffin McElroy a gun and it makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Chris has never been the same once he laid his hands on that boulder in RE5.

thecluckmeme posted:

Amnesia Rebirth recently released an Adventure Mode version of the game geared toward people like me who enjoy narrative first person puzzle games, and added some new puzzles on top of it, while removing the stalker-monster mechanics and sanity effects.

It did not remove the scripted jumpscares and monster "preview" moments.

The game has an area designed to confuse and tunnel you through a changing maze, that halfway through a monster jumps onto your face from offscreen.

My audio card is bugged and "normal volume" for me is set to 2.

I almost poo poo myself today. :saddowns:

Why were you frightened? It was just a friendly South-African boetie :shepface:

I don't know if the lead-up to that scene is even worse if you can't understand the words he's saying before he introduces himself.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:44 on May 9, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StandardVC10 posted:

Ah, but eventually one of them will have a metro ticket, a pencil, and five bottle caps inside!

OH BOY, MORE EARNINGS CLIPBOARDS!!! The clunky interface, the fact that 99% of junk items have no purpose (unless you bother with the junk cannon I guess), the fact that grey cubes are the most boring yet the most numerous container, and the fact that the grand majority of them are empty by default anyway. All adds up into a background hum of pointless irritation. I really wouldn't have expected this sort of environment/gameplay design to be something that Fallout 4 made such big leaps in but...it did.

In general the thing I'm realizing is that the gameplay pacing is just all over the place. Ironically it's dogshit because the game doesn't scale things appropriately a lot of the time. The absolute worst are the elite enemies which I'm assuming are all DLC stuff. I've been clowning on Super Mutants for most of the game and even Masters don't pose much of a threat anymore. Now Overlords are spawning and they're just giant brick walls of HP that no-sell every single attack and I have to stand there mashing the attack button for a solid 30 seconds until they finally decide to die. Same with the infuriating top tier Feral Ghouls. And then there's Mirelurks which for some reason are never not a complete nightmare, even the basic ones, certainly the Hunters, and especially the Kings.

Meanwhile, Deathclaws stopped being a big deal ages ago. Bizarre.

Though admittedly a non-zero amount of my troubles may have been because either I glossed over it or the game never explains melee combat at all? Literally only just learned that power attacks are a thing. Took way too long to realize that they very much want you to block and then counterattack, which totally neuters Deathclaws just as much as the dart gun does. Of course both of those only do so much when the bigger problem is that melee hitboxes are janky as hell, enemies with guns can just decide to infuriating backpedal forever, and of course, no fuckin' sprint button.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:36 on May 9, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's a really goddamn good game though, maybe the best since RE4. Name me another protagonist that deals so well with extremities as a replaceable quantity.

Nero.

Big Boss.

Katamari?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

OH BOY, MORE EARNINGS CLIPBOARDS!!! The clunky interface, the fact that 99% of junk items have no purpose (unless you bother with the junk cannon I guess), the fact that grey cubes are the most boring yet the most numerous container, and the fact that the grand majority of them are empty by default anyway. All adds up into a background hum of pointless irritation. I really wouldn't have expected this sort of environment/gameplay design to be something that Fallout 4 made such big leaps in but...it did.

In general the thing I'm realizing is that the gameplay pacing is just all over the place. Ironically it's dogshit because the game doesn't scale things appropriately a lot of the time. The absolute worst are the elite enemies which I'm assuming are all DLC stuff. I've been clowning on Super Mutants for most of the game and even Masters don't pose much of a threat anymore. Now Overlords are spawning and they're just giant brick walls of HP that no-sell every single attack and I have to stand there mashing the attack button for a solid 30 seconds until they finally decide to die. Same with the infuriating top tier Feral Ghouls. And then there's Mirelurks which for some reason are never not a complete nightmare, even the basic ones, certainly the Hunters, and especially the Kings.

Meanwhile, Deathclaws stopped being a big deal ages ago. Bizarre.

Though admittedly a non-zero amount of my troubles may have been because either I glossed over it or the game never explains melee combat at all? Literally only just learned that power attacks are a thing. Took way too long to realize that they very much want you to block and then counterattack, which totally neuters Deathclaws just as much as the dart gun does. Of course both of those only do so much when the bigger problem is that melee hitboxes are janky as hell, enemies with guns can just decide to infuriating backpedal forever, and of course, no fuckin' sprint button.

Yeah, Fallout 3 has a huge problem with the high end enemies being no fun to fight.

New Vegas keeps hp sponges out of the base game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nero.

Big Boss.

Katamari?
Plok

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

exquisite tea posted:

These days you have to take a youtube sabbatical a whole week before and after any game you want to play comes out because the speed at which spoilers hit your recommended feed is insane, even if you've only ever searched for that game in passing. The minute after God of War's NDA lifted in 2018 my home screen was hit by a ton of spoilerific titles, which was annoying because that game is very easily spoiled.

I guess I'm lucky for only caring about games that the greater 'Youtube gaming' community doesn't give a drat about. I was able to go cleanly without spoilers on the recent games I've been most interested in because those games were the Hyrule Warriors sequel and Bravely Default 2. I haven't been spoiled on Hades because I was thoroughly late to that party.

The only one I have to be wary of is Final Fantasy XIV stuff, and I'm usually on the ball with that game anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

grittyreboot posted:

Someone on Twitter said Ethan is what happens if you gave Griffin McElroy a gun and it makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

lmfao he puts the Mr Everywhere figurines in his mouth

edit: And I was being genuine, it's legitimately cool to me in a way. In my opinion they juked the idea of the boring white male protagonist by just not making it matter that he is. So often it's completely pivotal that the blank slate protagonist actually is a blank slate and the writers can't help themselves (see my boy Isaac as referenced by others above!). This makes a really odd situation where the character can't be made competent cuz they have to be blank, but your skills still have to improve. People got really mad about Adam Jensen's cutscene incompetence for example, but RE7/8 circumvent that becoming a problem at all by just having Ethan not be special and only do in cutscenes what you can do in gameplay: shoot things, interact with puzzle items, and get knocked on his rear end a lot, and yell in fright while making nervous quips

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:33 on May 9, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

The lighting is really harsh in that opening scene. Plus Capcom hates voice actor unions, so now he's got a New York accent sometimes, so I don't blame you.

it makes sense for chris to have a new voice since this is a reboot of the resident evil franchise

:goonsay:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

I usually have never searched for a single thing about upcoming games and my feed still is thumbnail after thumbnail of the ending cinematics with titles screaming spoilers at me.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

This is what I was talking about. You can spike above some enemies but eventually your damage caps and the enemies scale again and it all feels worthless. My biggest memory of Fallout 3 is pumping multiple bullets from the strongest gun into the faces f super mutants several times each and thinking I shouldn't have even bothered leveling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

I usually have never searched for a single thing about upcoming games and my feed still is thumbnail after thumbnail of the ending cinematics with titles screaming spoilers at me.

The best ones are ":v: DIES PAINFULLY WHILE :j: CRIES DEATH SCENE TRAGEDY SPOILER TRAGIC -- NO COMMENTARY" Like oh cool thanks for not commentating over that man, glad you had your priorities in order

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:hmmyes:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Does anyone actually play RE for the story? My understanding was that no one really gave a poo poo about it which is why it makes sense that people are freely posting spoilers

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

in any linear story the thrill comes from not knowing what's next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
RE stories are hilariously glorious schlock. if youre into that, then hell yah.

i have only played RE4 though bit that story was pretty great