Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

EmmyOk posted:

I’d be a little interested in bloodborne 2 because I felt like that had some good ideas up until father gascoigne then just kind of gave up and became souls. I’d love enemies more enemies that feel essential to parry or multiple sequential parries to stagger.

If a game required partying that wasn't a critical part of the mechanics (ie Sekiro) it'd become frustrating real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Now I want to play a game that requires excessive partying. Andrew WK as an unlockable character.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bogmonster posted:

Now I want to play a game that requires excessive partying. Andrew WK as an unlockable character.

Andrew wk bare handed parrying Gwyn while Ready to Die is blaring bass boosted in the background

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Where do the Surge game sit in that ranking?

The first Surge was alright but suffered from lackluster art and level design and a noticeably low budget.

The second has my favorite combat of any souls like, due largely to the directional parrying, finishers, and how the finishers linked to the weapon and armor upgrade system. It was the same as the first game, but tighter and far more polished.

Just like the player character, enemies could attack high, low, left, and right. You had to parry in the matching direction, then you could counter.

You could also target different body parts, which let you bypass armor to hit harder, or break armor so that you could use a finisher on that part, chop it off, and either gain a blueprint for that piece of armor or season, or upgrade parts for that piece. If you see an enemy who has a helmet you want, bash their head, cut it off, and grab the blueprint. It's really intuitive.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Len posted:

People keep calling Remnant From the Ashes a Souls-like and I don't quite see it

But the trailer for two gives me Bloodborne vibes which I'm here for

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8da6XwxmV30&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

they call it thta because it has bonfires, estus flasks, dodge rolls, and titanite
the core gameplay isn't really that similar but it's definitely taking influences

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

I can't think of too many regular rear end enemies that just like, have shockwave attacks. But maybe I'm forgetting them all; far more annoying imo are the amount of dudes that have bloodborne style flurry combos.

Oh, it's not been regular enemies, but it's still never fun to dodge an attack clean or what looks like clean but still get hit anyway.

New complaint: horseback combat is incredibly tedious and uninteresting, but like hell am I gonna fight on foot against some of these enemy swarms or fellow mounted shitheads.

On the flipside, why include an npc summon for the first dragon when using him removes the ability to ride Torrent?

Also said dragon is glitchy as poo poo.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jan 29, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Elden Ring continues the long video game tradition of dragons being incredibly poo poo to fight

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Is there a single Elden Ring boss who doesn't have at least one attack with a truly ridiculous wind up / delay? Like, raise sword, wait six seconds, slam down?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait until you face Maliketh and you'll be praying for even 3 seconds where you can do anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
maliketh is proof that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, because his only trick is to kill you

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Elden Ring continues the long video game tradition of dragons being incredibly poo poo to fight

The only game to get this right is Dragon's Dogma. Flying enemies are wildly unfun to fight unless you can grab onto them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

The only game to get this right is Dragon's Dogma. Flying enemies are wildly unfun to fight unless you can grab onto them.

It took like 20 games to get there but Monster Hunter Rise finally made their flying dragon monsters non-annoying to fight. The key innovation was "don't make them fly out of reach for multiple minutes at a time".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm doing the major sidequest area in God of War Ragnarok, the Vanaheim Crater, and it's dragons have been fine so far to fight. There's a lot of them, but I'm enjoying them so far.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OutOfPrint posted:

Also reminding me how annoying all the random flying pest enemies are in Elden Ring. At first I thought "oh these are to remind you you have a jump button, so use it dummy" but no, they move too fast and are too high up to reliably hit that way. Probably doable while on Torrent but otherwise ranged attacks only.

On a more fundamental note, I'm 50/50 on the exploration and world design so far. I think my key annoyance is that they're still using the standard Fromsoft item distribution pattern, which is to say cool poo poo is just left lying around wherever the gently caress. That's not so bad in Dark Souls where you can usually clean out areas in a linear and efficient fashion and items or paths to those items are more overt and telegraphed, but in Elden Ring it means I'm liable to arbitrarily miss poo poo because I didn't hump every cliff, jump off every ledge, etc. Like it turns out I could've had my beloved Large Club more or less any time I wanted, but it's on a random corpse on a random cliff that even while exploring that exact area I didn't find the first time. I guess this will even out a bit when I have a bigger collection of items, but when I'm still scrambling to have an actual loadout it feels bad that everything's so sprinkled about.

I'd say on the plus side mini-dungeons and such are heavily telegraphed more often than not, but then it turns out there's a number that are much harder to find because they're sealed up behind 4 walls or are squirreled away in one stray corner of a sprawling mess of ruins.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

If a game required partying that wasn't a critical part of the mechanics (ie Sekiro) it'd become frustrating real fast.

It would be a core part of the game if it was required though. I think early Bloodborne already treats parrying as a core mechanic by permanently giving every player a parry only hand and no blocking. Gascoigne, brick trolls, and werewolves are all designed to be checks on parrying and is when the game is at its best. After you get to cathedral ward you don't really need to worry about parrying much and that's a shame imo.

Most enemies can just be dealt with by dodging easily enough. You can beat all the enemies I listed as parry checks this way too but they're much easier to parry and visceral. There are enemies after this that it's worthy parrying but I'm mainly thinking of those in the Hunter's Nightmare DLC. I think the game would have been better if it made parrying feel more vital throughout the game instead of it just falling off a lot. I know some people parry later bosses like Orphan but that's a bit lame to me. Most bosses in From games that can be parried are total chumps if you choose to parry them which is less fun to me. I think a BB 2 that focussed more on making parrying a key skill to master would be better. It doesn't need to become like Sekiro but I think there is a pretty wide spectrum between the parrying in Sekiro and souls games and I'd like to see a BB2 end up nearer the Sekiro end.

Bloodborne I felt over all just had mostly very easy enemies and very easy bosses which was a real shame because how the actual combat felt was great.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think Maliketh on his own is one of the top bosses in ER but the beast clergyman phase sucks. Just endless spamming and jumping away from the player. I think that fight and Malenia are the only ones that killed me a bunch.

Not counting the like 50 deaths I took to Radahn doing him solo at launch lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

On a more fundamental note, I'm 50/50 on the exploration and world design so far.

Okay this ratio is now skewed at least a bit more towards the positive because I stumbled across the well and the river. Holy poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, it's not been regular enemies, but it's still never fun to dodge an attack clean or what looks like clean but still get hit anyway.

New complaint: horseback combat is incredibly tedious and uninteresting, but like hell am I gonna fight on foot against some of these enemy swarms or fellow mounted shitheads.

On the flipside, why include an npc summon for the first dragon when using him removes the ability to ride Torrent?

Also said dragon is glitchy as poo poo.

The secret to horseback combat is to run wildly in circles flailing your favorite attack. Dragons are super glitchy though, at least when agheel flies out of range then he'll despawn and respawn with the same amount of HP.

Fighting horseback guys on foot is actually really easy, if you stagger them or their horse then you knock them off of their mount (With exceptions of certain bosses, like that tree sentinel at the start of the game, that are considered to be "part" of their mount.) and get a critical attack that almost always kills them. And those horses are easy to kill. Most enemy spawns are full of weak guys, I don't know your build though; but if you're struggling with them it might be time to upgrade your weapon or whatever, or get a spell that can do AOE damage. You can mostly engage with the game without ever actually fighting something on horseback if you really want, some horseback movesets are more useful than others - big weapons like colossal greatswords are, imo, one of the better horseback weapons because their heavy attack just becomes a multi-hit dragging slash of death.

John Murdoch posted:

Okay this ratio is now skewed at least a bit more towards the positive because I stumbled across the well and the river. Holy poo poo.

:getin:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

The secret to horseback combat is to run wildly in circles flailing your favorite attack. Dragons are super glitchy though, at least when agheel flies out of range then he'll despawn and respawn with the same amount of HP.

Fighting horseback guys on foot is actually really easy, if you stagger them or their horse then you knock them off of their mount (With exceptions of certain bosses, like that tree sentinel at the start of the game, that are considered to be "part" of their mount.) and get a critical attack that almost always kills them. And those horses are easy to kill. Most enemy spawns are full of weak guys, I don't know your build though; but if you're struggling with them it might be time to upgrade your weapon or whatever, or get a spell that can do AOE damage. You can mostly engage with the game without ever actually fighting something on horseback if you really want, some horseback movesets are more useful than others - big weapons like colossal greatswords are, imo, one of the better horseback weapons because their heavy attack just becomes a multi-hit dragging slash of death.

Failing around in circles is exactly what I've been doing, it's just not very fun. (I also know about holding my heavy attack, which certainly helps but can only do so much.)

When I say swarms it's more stuff like 6 wolves guarding an overworld location. Sure, I could conceivably beat them fair and square, but why bother? And ultimately with souls combat being what it is I don't usually perceive the random lovely peasant types as threats (or even the basic knights at this point), but if it's a choice between risking being poiselocked to death by a thousand cuts or just Monty Python-ing them, the choice is obvious.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

:getin:

The secret to horseback combat is to channel your 90's FPS skills and just stay close and circle strafe them to death.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think you ever need horseback combat other than with Dragons. Torrent works best as traversal imo. I always took horsemen on my feet and found it easier or at least less finicky even if not as easy. Dragons I think are a dull affair though. Agheel I enjoyed but after him they are just absurdly spongy but not particularly dangerous.

I have heard some suggest a particular boss feels like it was designed around using Torrent but you can't and I do agree with that. He's far from necessary but there are times you need to close a large distance and it's odd you just have to jog.

The well has the largest discrepancy of "this is incredibly cool to see and find" and how it actually feels to play. Why don't they just make the whole level out of the Anor Londo sniper run asks local cretin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Though my favourite moment in ER maybe was an entirely on horseback fight early on. I was chasing down the carriage pulled my trolls and night fell just as I was crossing a bridge and out of nowhere a Night Cavalry appeared from behind the carriage. I thought it was a trap or something and panicked and ended up having this incredible duel with him. He appeared exactly like this gif so it took me a long time to realise it was just incredible timing on where I was and the carriage hiding his spawn in

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Morpheus posted:

EmmyOk posted:

It would be a core part of the game if it was required though. I think early Bloodborne already treats parrying as a core mechanic by permanently giving every player a parry only hand and no blocking. Gascoigne, brick trolls, and werewolves are all designed to be checks on parrying and is when the game is at its best. After you get to cathedral ward you don't really need to worry about parrying much and that's a shame imo.

Most enemies can just be dealt with by dodging easily enough. You can beat all the enemies I listed as parry checks this way too but they're much easier to parry and visceral. There are enemies after this that it's worthy parrying but I'm mainly thinking of those in the Hunter's Nightmare DLC. I think the game would have been better if it made parrying feel more vital throughout the game instead of it just falling off a lot. I know some people parry later bosses like Orphan but that's a bit lame to me. Most bosses in From games that can be parried are total chumps if you choose to parry them which is less fun to me. I think a BB 2 that focussed more on making parrying a key skill to master would be better. It doesn't need to become like Sekiro but I think there is a pretty wide spectrum between the parrying in Sekiro and souls games and I'd like to see a BB2 end up nearer the Sekiro end.

Bloodborne I felt over all just had mostly very easy enemies and very easy bosses which was a real shame because how the actual combat felt was great.

Yeah but Morpheus was talking about partying. And that's essential to most games

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they call it thta because it has bonfires, estus flasks, dodge rolls, and titanite
the core gameplay isn't really that similar but it's definitely taking influences

It’s like 60/40 Resident Evil 4 and Dark Souls.

Remnant fuckin rules, although it’s pretty easy since it’s a Dark Souls game where you have an arsenal of powerful guns.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's got some rough bits but overall game was a blast and I'm stoked for remnant 2 Bloodborne edition

Is chronos worth grabbing in a sale?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Len posted:

It's got some rough bits but overall game was a blast and I'm stoked for remnant 2 Bloodborne edition

Is chronos worth grabbing in a sale?

Absolutely not, it’s very bland sword and board.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Spyro 3, 117%, finally. I have to say, there were some levels there in the endgame that were pretty entertaining, but then it took a big steaming poo poo by having the yeti snowboard challenge be the final big thing (besides a cursory shooting down some ufos and a boring boss rematch). The game is so unpolished, that drat race took more tries than it should have due to glitches and other silly things like not reading tricks to add boost, etc.

Anyway finally done with the trilogy, and next up is slime rancher 2. Hopefully less exasperating poo poo there...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm doing the major sidequest area in God of War Ragnarok, the Vanaheim Crater, and it's dragons have been fine so far to fight. There's a lot of them, but I'm enjoying them so far.

This is a 'dragging down' thread but now you mention it, GOWR has a pleasant solution to fighting big enemies that don't just boil down to smacking their ankles:

Dodging them or parrying them correctly will cause them to obligingly put their face right in front of yours so that you can look them in the eye as you beat them up. Circlestrafing to their butt is simply not a strategy that works.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I have been playing Persona 4 and Yosuke and Teddie drag it down. god they suck. any time any slice of life stuff is happening they're consistently the worst

Kanji owns though and has never done anything wrong in his life. I saw him tell off a police officer in a restaurant, who then left because he was so owned. it was BAD rear end

:same: Yosuke loving sucks and I kept him out of my party every chance I got. :colbert: His personality sucks, his voice sucks, HE SUCKS. We stan Kanji in this house.

I'm playing P5:R and so far I've only met three party members (Anne, Ryuji, and the cat), and they all seem pretty tolerable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I still think Yosuke as a whole would have been more interesting if they didn't cut that potential romance route with him, instead he just ends up being a dumb rear end in a top hat who never really changes.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

:same: Yosuke loving sucks and I kept him out of my party every chance I got. :colbert: His personality sucks, his voice sucks, HE SUCKS. We stan Kanji in this house.

I'm playing P5:R and so far I've only met three party members (Anne, Ryuji, and the cat), and they all seem pretty tolerable.

I played P5 a long while ago and I don't think anyone in that game gets anywhere near as bad as Yosuke is. you do meet a guy early on who seems like he might be awful but once you get to know him it turns out he's just legitimately very strange. iirc there are still moments here and there where a character is gross about something, but it's not the non-stop deluge of creep behavior that P4 has.

having played Persona 4 more, this is going to sound stupid but I honestly think the game might be TOO anime for me. Persona 4 seems to want to just do every stereotypical anime trope it can think of and just play them out one after another. I'm not really a big anime fan in general (pretty much just the occasional JRPG really) and I don't think P5 or P3 ever got as excessive as this. I think it's a thing some people might really like about the whole game but for me it kind of falls flat.

I've just gotten into autumn so I'm keen to see the whole thing through, but yeesh. I don't even think the game is bad as a whole but the problems I have with it never seem to go away. I had problems with P5 as well (primarily that that game is somehow even worse about respecting your time) but I think I prefer it much more so far. I will say that P4 largely feels like a straight upgrade to P3 though, really hard to imagine ever going back to that one after finishing it like ten years ago.

Nuebot posted:

I still think Yosuke as a whole would have been more interesting if they didn't cut that potential romance route with him, instead he just ends up being a dumb rear end in a top hat who never really changes.

tbh that could be cool. just anything to give him some depth would be helpful. it's really hard to imagine the game even having him as an option though, given how badly this game tends to handle the very notion of someone not being totally straight.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

It's weird that some people walked away from P4's ending with "Yosuke learned to be less homophobic!", because my reading was more like "Yosuke learned to keep his homophobia to himself if it'll get his rear end beat."

I played P5 a long while ago and I don't think anyone in that game gets anywhere near as bad as Yosuke is. you do meet a guy early on who seems like he might be awful but once you get to know him it turns out he's just legitimately very strange. iirc there are still moments here and there where a character is gross about something, but it's not the non-stop deluge of creep behavior that P4 has.

Yeah, the cat definitely wants to marry/bone Anne, but it least doesn't seem as NONSTOP as Teddy's boner was. And that's not even getting into the spinoffs, which made every character VERY one-note.

Guess what Teddy's one note was?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

It's weird that some people walked away from P4's ending with "Yosuke learned to be less homophobic!", because my reading was more like "Yosuke learned to keep his homophobia to himself if it'll get his rear end beat."

Yeah, the cat definitely wants to marry/bone Anne, but it least doesn't seem as NONSTOP as Teddy's boner was. And that's not even getting into the spinoffs, which made every character VERY one-note.

Guess what Teddy's one note was?

tbh it never really bothered me as much with the cat, I'm not sure I can fully articulate why but it just seemed less skeevy to me. I think it's some combination of him being more obviously delusional about the whole thing, what with being a cat and all, and her not really caring all that much. I felt more pity for him than a sense of ick, if that makes sense. I think Morgana has a better time than someone like Teddie as well since he has more redeeming qualities, such as being a cat who hangs out with you and assures you that you look cool

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

tbh it never really bothered me as much with the cat, I'm not sure I can fully articulate why but it just seemed less skeevy to me. I think it's some combination of him being more obviously delusional about the whole thing, what with being a cat and all, and her not really caring all that much. I felt more pity for him than a sense of ick, if that makes sense. I think Morgana has a better time than someone like Teddie as well since he has more redeeming qualities, such as being a cat who hangs out with you and assures you that you look cool

Morgana also has the advantage of being, y'know, a literal cat both in and out of the metaverse, so him getting obsessively attached to a human makes sense. Teddy is... Teddy, and at the start he's tolerable, once he grows a human body is when he becomes really bad.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

p4 is trash largely because of teddie. worst character I’ve ever encountered. ruined the game for me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

tbh that could be cool. just anything to give him some depth would be helpful. it's really hard to imagine the game even having him as an option though, given how badly this game tends to handle the very notion of someone not being totally straight.

I feel like it getting cut was a symptom of that poo poo, yeah. Most of it was wiped but some of it was left behind in the script and even got dubbed; and apparently people even modded it back in with the PC release? That's neat. You can hear it on The Cutting Room Floor and it's written a to sound a lot more like the girls' scenes than the guys and such, and having his character kind of wrap up confronting some level of internalized homophobia or whatever could have been a lot more interesting than the resolution it was in the final game.

Anyway what really drags down Persona 4 Golden in my books is how almost all of the golden content just kinda sucks.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Anyway what really drags down Persona 4 Golden in my books is how almost all of the golden content just kinda sucks.

I haven't been too crazy about Marie. I'm not even sure if it's a specific problem I have with her, she just kind of sucks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't been too crazy about Marie. I'm not even sure if it's a specific problem I have with her, she just kind of sucks

She wasn't in the original game and was added in Golden so she has big "Pinky and the Brain and Larry" energy

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VorIn2ISK6w&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

I thought it was fine but it didn't go great with goons at the time

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

For me, it's mostly because tsundere characters tend to grate on my nerves. Also the poetry thing was :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think it's because she feels kind of tacked on. A lot of the new story and poo poo feels tacked on, which is kind of a bummer.

P4 is still good as gently caress, though. Teddie sucks.