Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

XBCX is definitely better than XBC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Agents are GO! posted:

I thought they were specifically made for Dylan to watch.

IIRC the implication is that the two kids in the videos are specifically a boy and a girl to match Dylan and Jesse. I forget if there were other kids in the Director Candidate program other than them, but presumably they would watch 'em too.

Stuff like that is why the surface level creepiness isn't actually the creepy part of Threshold Kids, imo.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Feb 1, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

credburn posted:

XBCX is definitely better than XBC2.

I think XBCX is the only thing I'm really keeping my Wii U around for that hasn't been rereleased already. :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rockman Reserve posted:

I think XBCX is the only thing I'm really keeping my Wii U around for that hasn't been rereleased already. :(

Is that the last major Wii U title that hasn't been re-released? I can't think of any others, unless we count like, the Zelda remasters.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Encased is basically exactly Fallout 2.5 with fantastic qol and interface improvements, but I can't for the life of me work out why they didn't include pumping your stats with drugs before levelling in order to meet requirements for perks. It's probably more 'balanced' but c'mon, you've already cribbed most of your mechanics, why stop there?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Got to the end of Paper Mario, and it falls into the trap of having the final boss just be a boring pain. They don't really have anything interesting to do with Bowser besides making him a big tough tank, you just try to slowly whittle him down while he wastes your time every few rounds with an invincibility move that you have to use up a turn to counter, and he repeatedly breaks himself back up for about five rounds' worth of damage. I finally got him down to his last (I think) 10 HP before losing so I could probably optimize my part a bit better and beat him, but it's just such a boring slog that I don't have any motivation. Just annoying to hit that point when everything else in the game has been perfectly doable.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Speaking of annoying bosses, Curse Of The Moon 2. The levels are fun, great mechanics, interesting progression system, and just like every other INTI CREATES game the bosses are completely patternized bullshit. Early on they die quickly enough that if you can dodge most of their attacks you'll be fine, but later on they kill you in three or four attacks and have a ton of health so you basically just have to have fought them eighty times to memorize all the bullshit they do and never deviate even a single pixel from the perfect strategy. Just pure memorization and trial and error.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I thought they were specifically made for Dylan to watch.

Him being the only child in the Oldest House, yes

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Scarlet Nexus is the 1st game I've played where I can't turn subtitles off. At all.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Him being the only child in the Oldest House, yes

The only child we know of. :colbert:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

4 is far too blatantly obvious. 5 is more likely.

4 is obvious if you're familiar with 2, oddly enough. Joker is the name of the power behind the bad guys in 2. Find the person with the Joker social link, and there's your bad guy.

Or if you realize Joker persona are all demons, I guess that works, too.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

OutOfPrint posted:

4 is obvious if you're familiar with 2, oddly enough. Joker is the name of the power behind the bad guys in 2. Find the person with the Joker social link, and there's your bad guy.

Or if you realize Joker persona are all demons, I guess that works, too.

Neither of those reasons work.

1. The Arcana's name is Jester, not Joker.

2. EVERY Persona is a demon. That's just SMT's terminology for all these mythological figures. It's not even like Jester Personas are uniquely evil, I don't think; what makes summoning White Rider of the Jester Arcana meaningfully different from summoning Lucifer of the Star Arcana or Bellzebub or Lilith of the Devil Arcana?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

serefin99 posted:

Neither of those reasons work.

1. The Arcana's name is Jester, not Joker.

2. EVERY Persona is a demon. That's just SMT's terminology for all these mythological figures. It's not even like Jester Personas are uniquely evil, I don't think; what makes summoning White Rider of the Jester Arcana meaningfully different from summoning Lucifer of the Star Arcana or Bellzebub or Lilith of the Devil Arcana?

Also it was added in P4G and wasn't in original Persona 4. Fun fact is that in the original P4 script draft the bad guy was going to be Your uncle, since he's also the only other person who's able to tamper with the evidence, but they decided it would be way too creepy to be living with a killer like that for the mood they were going for.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In the original P4 basically your only real hint is that both the protagonist and the killer are voiced by JYB…not that the protagonist talks much.. Which isn’t really a hint in any real sense but that’s what got me there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

In the original P4 basically your only real hint is that both the protagonist and the killer are voiced by JYB…not that the protagonist talks much.. Which isn’t really a hint in any real sense but that’s what got me there.

For me it was that the "villain" was happy the "victims" were all alive, and that out of the other NPCs you can accuse, Adachi was the only one that got a lot of screen time but didn't really fill a point in the plot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's obvious it's the killer because he's a cop, ACAB

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's not what I was thinking of when I said 4 had the hard to guess boss.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I looked it up, the one I was thinking of was 4 and involves pancakes.

From what I heard that’s the only hint you get in the entire game.

Seems there were some other ways, but not a ton of info.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do you mean 5? Because that's the one that has the pancake clue (or was that one waffles?).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's pancakes. It stuck out real hard for me, and I'm kind of dumb, so I thought it was that way for everyone.

My bad. :sweatdrop:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Oh, I thought I overheard you talking about pancakes...

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ah crap, I did mix it up.

Playing some more Iron Harvest and I’m getting annoyed at the cover system.

Company of Heroes, which the game takes a lot of inspiration from, had 3 levels of cover. Green is heavy cover which you get from things like stone walls and sandbags. Yellow is medium cover which you get from bushes, shell craters, and other things that would obscure you but might not block a bullet all that well. Then there was red cover which was in the middle of a road or river, places where you would be really easy to shoot.

Iron Harvest only allows you to make use of heavy cover but as time goes on and more robots appear that cover gets destroyed real quick so you’re soon left with no real strategy for your infantry other than where to stand them in an open field and when to use your power up.

On that point, each class can gain experience which can unlock abilities. The robots all get cool upgrades like rocket pods but every single infantry unit, regardless if they’re assault troops or engineers, only get the ability to shoot a bit faster. I was hoping for more class specific stuff.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

This is the box art to the board game that Iron Harvest is based on. There's no mechs anywhere in this game that are that big :mad:

edit: it's not just that, this is a loading screen from the game:

MIS

LEADING

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
There are some robots that big, but they don't shop up until later in the campaign.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just beat Far Cry 5 and while I had heard about how bad the ending was I didn't think it was going to leave me actively pissed off about it.

Wow, what a lovely way to finish off the game. Go gently caress yourselves, Ubisoft.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Children of Morta: a nice rougelite game, characters who play differently and a RNG aspect with Relics, Graces, Charms, and also being able to raise stats and grind - up to a point.

After defeating a certain boss you get teleported to the homebase, cutscene of one of the family members being abducted plays and you have to rescue them. The mission consists mostly of running from an Invincible opponent, and when you do actually fight, it's very tedious - there are corrupted areas on an already small battlefield, the boss summons countless adds, has a massive health bar and you don't get access to any of the RNG powers. There is a way to clean the corrupted areas, but only for a little while and it's dependent on the RNG.

And your grinding is locked out, so you are barred from raising the stats - it takes money, and that's only available in the dungeons, monsters in the mission drop none.

A weird design decision, and although I'm slowly getting farther and farther in the fight, it's been more of a problem than anything before. And a really convoluted setup, too - if the monster can just teleport to the house like that.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Feb 3, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hitman 3
Grounded
Satisfactory
My Time at Portia

These are all games I can't play because they loving crash all the time. My computer is just a few months old and all the parts seem to be working and I've reinstalled all sorts of poo poo and nothing works. Pretty demoralizing to be honest. I'm becoming hesitant to even try new games because so many of the ones I've tried recently have been hosed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do you have an SSD?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

yes

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

credburn posted:

This is the box art to the board game that Iron Harvest is based on. There's no mechs anywhere in this game that are that big :mad:

edit: it's not just that, this is a loading screen from the game:

MIS

LEADING

To be fair, if I'm assuming the boardgame is Scythe, it's also kind of misleading for that game, too.

If you bought/played the game thinking it would a war boardgame with steampunk mechs, you'd be wrong. It's like 90% worker placement, with a tiny bit of supplemental combat.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Picked up Rage 2 on the cheap because I remember liking the first one well enough but 2 has way, way too many " skill points" to keep track of.

just off the top of my head we have project points, data pad points, weapon points, weapon mod core points, nanotrite points, map points and auto part points.

I am liking the game much more that I've unlocked more combat moves. It does another thing open world type games do that drag it down and that's locking key moves or abilities behind some map marker or quest. I get that it's an easy way to make people explore your map but lots of encounters seem like they are designed around you having abilities unlocked but there's a good chance you don't have them all at the time, unless you just spend the first 2 hours of the game going from map point to map point then decided to try and fight. Every enemy seems to be wearing 3 or 4 layers of armor, so much that you spend an entire clip at point blank range just to strip a layer off. There is an ability to " force push" armored enemies but you have to be within kissing distance or it just doesn't work , so you have to wait 10 seconds for the cool down to recharge. Lots of the armored enemies are melee, so if your'e more than 2 inches away when you try to strip their armor and miss, they bash you in the face with a bat. The dash is incredibly useful, especially since if you stop for a second every enemy withing 100 feet of you throws 3 grenades at you.

For being 3 or 4 years old though the game looks amazing. The soundtrack is also really, really good.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hi-Fi Rush seems like a pretty great game but playing it depends on my greatest weakness: figuring out the beat to rock music. I can't do it and I'm not sure anyone can (lots of people say they can but it's probably all lies)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hi-Fi Rush seems like a pretty great game but playing it depends on my greatest weakness: figuring out the beat to rock music. I can't do it and I'm not sure anyone can (lots of people say they can but it's probably all lies)

Turn on the beat counter at the bottom and not worry about it

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Looking at the steam preview, it looks like a) your floating buddy pulses to the beat, and b) so does most of the UI even without the beat counter?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

To be fair, if I'm assuming the boardgame is Scythe, it's also kind of misleading for that game, too.

If you bought/played the game thinking it would a war boardgame with steampunk mechs, you'd be wrong. It's like 90% worker placement, with a tiny bit of supplemental combat.

I never played the boardgame. I got Iron Harvest from some bundle or something, then got super psyched when I saw the size of those mechs, and then became disappointed :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JackSplater posted:

Looking at the steam preview, it looks like a) your floating buddy pulses to the beat, and b) so does most of the UI even without the beat counter?

You can also turn on a beat assist that stays onscreen to help you with the timing. Although really the best way to stay on beat is just to listen for it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Everything pulses to the beat, including some objects and lights in the area.

Your attacks also sync up too the beat as well, so you don't have worry about trying to start a combo on the beat, you only need to hit an attack button as soon as an attack lands, the only thing to keep in mind is your light attack hits every beat, your heavy attack skips a beat and certain combos require you to "rest" for a beat.

Hell even enemies attack on the beat so you can incorporate dodges into your beat combos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does the game ever introduce enemies that only take damage when you attack on best? Because if not, skipping it because of a potential rhythm requirement is like not playing Uncharted or Titanfall 2 or any other third person shooter because you don't think you can land headshots for 13 hours in a row.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Vandar posted:

I just beat Far Cry 5 and while I had heard about how bad the ending was I didn't think it was going to leave me actively pissed off about it.

Wow, what a lovely way to finish off the game. Go gently caress yourselves, Ubisoft.

sometimes I remember this and just shake my head. just a total curve ball and the only "hints" for it are radio broadcasts that I don't get the impression many players actually heard. even with those though it's still poo poo, I wonder if the writer was just really, really depressed or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

dracula vladdy AF posted:

sometimes I remember this and just shake my head. just a total curve ball and the only "hints" for it are radio broadcasts that I don't get the impression many players actually heard. even with those though it's still poo poo, I wonder if the writer was just really, really depressed or something

They really screwed up on the radio hints, as they only show up if you are in a vehicle in between missions. From what I remember, any special vehicle or cult vehicle doesn't work. FC5 was just a mess.