Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I find the games I like the best are the one's that give me every advantage, but then make the enemies and obstacles reach that level, rather than gimping me to make things challenging - aside from survival horror obvs. I think Ninja Gaiden for XBOX was a great example of this. I always felt like an untouchable human buzz saw, and then the game made the enemies reach that level, and it made the game high-octane and amazing.

I have that in mind with a minor gripe I have about Saint's Row 4. The game lets you zoom around, running faster than cars, but you have to come to a halt to fire a gun. So when I'm fighting the Wardens (tough, fast, behemoth enemies), I'll freeze them with my super powers, and then I have to come to a dead stop to start doing damage. I just kind of wish I could shoot from high speed, and that they balance that out by making those enemies tougher. It kills the momentum of the fight for me. Although, this is literally the only complaint I have with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Who What Now posted:

While I did/do like Bayonetta when I first played it I have never beaten it. The core gameplay is really solid but the whole game really does feel skeevy. I suppose there can be merit in a character that not only is a sexual object but acknowledges and owns that fact and uses it to their advantage, but Bayonetta didn't do it right IMO.

To be fair right now we have people holding up Chainsaw Lollipop and the new Tomb Raider as bastions of feminism. All things considered it's a step in the right direction with having female character designers creating the character and exploring what women want to see in games versus getting an achievement for looking up her skirt poo poo. They did overdo it a little much in Bayo 1, do they at least try to handle it better in Bayo 2?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This seems to be a problem that games that rely heavily on unlocks are really susceptible to, where the beginning of the game is unnecessarily restricting and full of bullshit to give you more rewards to unlock and the end game is a cakewalk for anybody who does any optional content.

I've been playing Rogue Legacy and the fact that you get almost no invincibility after getting hit until you unlock an expensive late-stage upgrade is bullshit, doubly so when most enemies can hurt you just by touching you. In general the game's controls don't feel nearly tight enough for the kind of precision and difficulty the game demands.

I'm reminded of the game Mars: War Logs which is a cross between the Witcher and Dune and mixed with utter dogshit. Like the Witcher you can block and dodge roll, but for some reason blocking is completely useless unless you invest points into the skill. It seems counter-productive to expect players to invest in a useless skill in the promise that it will reach a point of actual usefulness. Another bad idea is locking off a third of the skill tree until the player finishes Act 1 of 3. The whole game feels like a mish-mash of every modern RPG mechanic made by people who don't understand how to make an RPG within their budget.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

To be fair right now we have people holding up Chainsaw Lollipop and the new Tomb Raider as bastions of feminism. All things considered it's a step in the right direction with having female character designers creating the character and exploring what women want to see in games versus getting an achievement for looking up her skirt poo poo. They did overdo it a little much in Bayo 1, do they at least try to handle it better in Bayo 2?

Considering Platinum made it a running gag that Raiden continually "playfully" harassed a perfectly healthy young woman about her weight over Codec in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and they made every single character flip their poo poo about the oversexualized first boss's enormous breasts, I doubt it.

Platinum, I want so badly to like you, why must you keep alienating me? I want to give you my money for your games! Stop "ironically" treating women like objects!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I've been playing Rogue Legacy and the fact that you get almost no invincibility after getting hit until you unlock an expensive late-stage upgrade is bullshit, doubly so when most enemies can hurt you just by touching you. In general the game's controls don't feel nearly tight enough for the kind of precision and difficulty the game demands.

God yes. I want to like that game but the idea is the deaths should feel like your fault most of the time. Some of them are just arbitrary due to the controls.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm reminded of the game Mars: War Logs which is a cross between the Witcher and Dune and mixed with utter dogshit. Like the Witcher you can block and dodge roll, but for some reason blocking is completely useless unless you invest points into the skill. It seems counter-productive to expect players to invest in a useless skill in the promise that it will reach a point of actual usefulness. Another bad idea is locking off a third of the skill tree until the player finishes Act 1 of 3. The whole game feels like a mish-mash of every modern RPG mechanic made by people who don't understand how to make an RPG within their budget.

Mars: War Logs is let down by the massive dissonance between budget and ambition. It wanted to be a big Bioware-style open-world RPG with heavy moral choices and deep consequences. But that poo poo's expensive, so it falls short in pretty much every field.

I still say that, if you gave it the budget of a modern Bioware game, it'd be better than anything they made since the original Mass Effect.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

I thought Infamous had a good explanation for regenerating health - since Cole's a human battery, he absorbs the ambient electricity from the city's power grid. If you go into areas of the city without power, you stop regenerating.

Plus, when you get outside of the functioning grid, you can still use cars and other things with batteries to get health/power back, you just can't suck down every street light and television you see to do it.

Cleretic posted:

Mars: War Logs is let down by the massive dissonance between budget and ambition. It wanted to be a big Bioware-style open-world RPG with heavy moral choices and deep consequences. But that poo poo's expensive, so it falls short in pretty much every field.

I still say that, if you gave it the budget of a modern Bioware game, it'd be better than anything they made since the original Mass Effect.

Yeah, I like janky games, and I did actually like Mars:War Logs, but if you gave it an actual budget it would have been loving amazing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

Considering Platinum made it a running gag that Raiden continually "playfully" harassed a perfectly healthy young woman about her weight over Codec in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and they made every single character flip their poo poo about the oversexualized first boss's enormous breasts, I doubt it.

Platinum, I want so badly to like you, why must you keep alienating me? I want to give you my money for your games! Stop "ironically" treating women like objects!

Aside from one, maybe two, instance the Wonderful 101 avoids most overt sexualization.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

Aside from one, maybe two, instance the Wonderful 101 avoids most overt sexualization.

"Aside from where it does, it doesn't."

Oh, Platinum.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

one of those instances being a main character and all of thier traits.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Suddenly I am okay with not owning a WiiU.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

All over a clip that lasts like 5 seconds as a joke. Seriously they stop even trying to play up that part of Wonder Pink's character so fast that I almost forgot she's supposed to be a model.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

God yes. I want to like that game but the idea is the deaths should feel like your fault most of the time. Some of them are just arbitrary due to the controls.

I got Rogue Legacy a while back having heard a lot of complaints about the controls and I really don't understand it. They're really consistent and I can't think of a single time in the entire game where I thought something was bullshit and out of my control, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing or what people had problems with. This isn't a dig at anyone, just legitimately wondering if I just totally missed something.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

ChaosArgate posted:

All over a clip that lasts like 5 seconds as a joke. Seriously they stop even trying to play up that part of Wonder Pink's character so fast that I almost forgot she's supposed to be a model.

Well, yeah, but then she transitions into a boy-crazy, make-up and shopping loving, hot-tempered character who constantly flirts with Vorkken, and who flies into a rage whenever someone insults her looks.

Not that it's not an awesome game, and if I had a WiiU, I'd get it; but come on.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Even dark souls, the pinnacle of gaming, had a girl with huge tits. As a gamer and a human, I'm dissapointed in the state of games today.

[Edit] STALKER fixed this entire problem in the best possible way imho: no girls allowed, only muscular russian men.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Heart of the Swarm was such a letdown.

Retcons, incredibly predictable plot, tons of cliches and a limp climax.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't actually remember anything about that in MGR:R.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Anatharon posted:

I don't actually remember anything about that in MGR:R.

It was probably all in Codec calls, which you could be forgiven for never seeing because they're completely optional, somewhat lengthy, very numerous, and they trash the game's flow. I've never bothered listening to them outside of a couple from the first level, because that's valuable time I could be using slicing mooks in half and harvesting their cyborg spinal fluids.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Even dark souls, the pinnacle of gaming, had a girl with huge tits. As a gamer and a human, I'm dissapointed in the state of games today.

Here the disappointment usually comes from other players, because every female NPC is surrounded by creepy (as much as it's possible) player messages.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Amazing Chest Ahead

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bukowski posted:

Amazing Chest Ahead

Don't give up, skeleton!

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Here the disappointment usually comes from other players, because every female NPC is surrounded by creepy (as much as it's possible) player messages.

hahah no but it's halarous to say you want to tounge a girl npc's butthole! it's not harassing if it's not a real person, so it's all right being a creepy pervert!

Seriously though, player messages are what's dragging Dark Souls down. It's no different from being a creepy gently caress about your ~anime females~ or whatever, except now it's in my favorite games reminding me that soo many people liking the same game are creeps.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember when I saw a "but hole" message, and then saw another one, and then another one, and all those other times too. Those all sure were funny! And then here's "chest ahead" because there's a woman here ha ha it's so funy :vd:

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Jordbo posted:

hahah no but it's halarous to say you want to tounge a girl npc's butthole! it's not harassing if it's not a real person, so it's all right being a creepy pervert!

Seriously though, player messages are what's dragging Dark Souls down. It's no different from being a creepy gently caress about your ~anime females~ or whatever, except now it's in my favorite games reminding me that soo many people liking the same game are creeps.

When someone "rates" your message you get a free heal. After I saw how many rates a "tongue but hole" message had, I shamelessly made the most inappropriate messages I could think of to get random free heals throughout my first playhrough. I regret nothing.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I didn't know people got mad about those messages but the fact that I can drop a message to piss spergs off in dark souls does improve the game for me

to contribute, solitaire is dragged down by the fact that sometimes you spawn with many aces and sometimes you spawn with few. I have a very ace-dependant strategy and I find different spawns can have devastating effects for my campaign.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Lavender posted:

Well, yeah, but then she transitions into a boy-crazy, make-up and shopping loving, hot-tempered character who constantly flirts with Vorkken, and who flies into a rage whenever someone insults her looks.

Not that it's not an awesome game, and if I had a WiiU, I'd get it; but come on.

I'll take "vain and boy-crazy" over "rampant slut" any day.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

I got Rogue Legacy a while back having heard a lot of complaints about the controls and I really don't understand it. They're really consistent and I can't think of a single time in the entire game where I thought something was bullshit and out of my control, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing or what people had problems with. This isn't a dig at anyone, just legitimately wondering if I just totally missed something.

I just actually managed to get around to playing and completing rouge legacy last week, and there's no start up speed to any character's running, and a lot of enemies and yourself move fast with short weapon range, so it took me a while to stop dying just by running into things every time I went to stab them. also gently caress wargons, I still have trouble judging how close it takes getting before they start sprinting at me and I swear ive died to them the most 2nd only to doomtraits

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

So she's a caricature of a high school cheerleader. I mean if she were the only major female character I'd maybe understand the complaints about her characterization, but W101 also has Alice, who is strong and ends up saving the day like 90% of the time. Also, it's not like you really notice her character during the gameplay.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

I'll take "vain and boy-crazy" over "rampant slut" any day.

or
OR
OR

Or they could just make an interesting character without dipping into insulting stereotypes! Also, lol at those "rampant sluts" who enjoy sex, right? It's totally cool to shame sexually promiscuous people! All the cool, conservative kids are doing it these days!

Inco posted:

It was probably all in Codec calls, which you could be forgiven for never seeing because they're completely optional, somewhat lengthy, very numerous, and they trash the game's flow. I've never bothered listening to them outside of a couple from the first level, because that's valuable time I could be using slicing mooks in half and harvesting their cyborg spinal fluids.

They are. But when people say things like "dude it's just one scene" or "it's totally optional" I have to wonder why they felt the need to put it in, period. What if we switched the stereotype? What if we gave Kevin, a good-natured black guy, a bunch of Codec conversations where Raiden gets onto him for eating chicken and watermelon so much?

Bad stereotypes are bad stereotypes, and they bring down otherwise great games.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I didn't know people got mad about those messages but the fact that I can drop a message to piss spergs off in dark souls does improve the game for me

to contribute, solitaire is dragged down by the fact that sometimes you spawn with many aces and sometimes you spawn with few. I have a very ace-dependant strategy and I find different spawns can have devastating effects for my campaign.

I don't think it pisses most people off, it's more like "Oh, it's that again." :geno: Similar to the feeling I get when I see the 5 million "Praise the sun" messages on the way into town.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

or
OR
OR

Or they could just make an interesting character without dipping into insulting stereotypes! Also, lol at those "rampant sluts" who enjoy sex, right? It's totally cool to shame sexually promiscuous people! All the cool, conservative kids are doing it these days!

They are. But when people say things like "dude it's just one scene" or "it's totally optional" I have to wonder why they felt the need to put it in, period. What if we switched the stereotype? What if we gave Kevin, a good-natured black guy, a bunch of Codec conversations where Raiden gets onto him for eating chicken and watermelon so much?

OR you could not be a screaming idiot

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Screaming Idiot posted:

or
OR
OR

OR

You could not make stupid posts about something like this.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Gwendolyn was an illusion, an evil gross monster man making a woman with huge tits to get gamers to do what they want them to do is p. funny.

Captain Lavender posted:

Don't forget that she's :airquote:18:airquote:, rounding out the trifecta of dumb things anime spergs get super defensive about.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

ArtIsResistance posted:

I don't get it, don't you feel at least a little uncomfortable with people saying sexual things about fantasy characters..? I'm not pissed off, but I think it's weird :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jordbo posted:

I don't get it, don't you feel at least a little uncomfortable with people saying sexual things about fantasy characters..? I'm not pissed off, but I think it's weird :shrug:

No? Dude there are creepy fans of literally everything. You might as well say everything you've ever enjoyed has been brought down by their creepy fans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

No? Dude there are creepy fans of literally everything. You might as well say everything you've ever enjoyed has been brought down by their creepy fans.

The majority of creepy fan stuff isn't integrated into the game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Screaming Idiot posted:

or
OR
OR

Yes, it would be great if they could make an interesting character without dipping into insulting stereotypes! But I'm not sure if you're aware of this but I don't personally make these games. loving shocking, I know! So I can only judge them as they are released and personally I feel less uncomfortable with a woman being interested in men (which is a real thing some women do!) than with a female character made by men dry-humping everything around her for the sole purposes of being masturbation fantasy for other men.

But please, tell me more about how women shouldn't be portrayed as hurtful stereotypes but being a literal sex object with no other defining character traits is just fine. :allears:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Who What Now posted:

Yes, it would be great if they could make an interesting character without dipping into insulting stereotypes! But I'm not sure if you're aware of this but I don't personally make these games. loving shocking, I know! So I can only judge them as they are released and personally I feel less uncomfortable with a woman being interested in men (which is a real thing some women do!) than with a female character made by men dry-humping everything around her for the sole purposes of being masturbation fantasy for other men.

But please, tell me more about how women shouldn't be portrayed as hurtful stereotypes but being a literal sex object with no other defining character traits is just fine. :allears:

Just shut the gently caress up about this, jesus.

Sexual stereotyping has been discussed dozens upon dozens of times in this thread and the ones before it and it is never ever interesting to read or attempt to sidestep.

blunt for century has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Dec 16, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Screaming Idiot posted:

or
OR
OR

Or they could just make an interesting character without dipping into insulting stereotypes!

I know this is a bit of a poor defense, but it came up in Chip Cheezum's LP. Every single main member of the Wonderful Ones is a cheesy cliche, it's not just Pink. Red is the straight-faced, truth-and-justice hero type, Blue is a cocky, selfish lone wolf, Green is a snobby Frenchman, White is a proverb-spouting ninja. Saying that Pink is bad because she's 'dipping into stereotypes' is disingenuous, because it's not like she's the only character that does.

But, the issue that does come up is that everyone else plays with that cliche they started with. White's proverbs are completely irrelevant and nobody's got time for them, Green is a fat child who's snobby about fast food, Red and Blue are fully-rounded characters with pathos and all. The problem with Pink is that they don't really do anything to play with expectations, to make her character anything more. She's just 'The Girl', played straight.

It's not as bad as it could've been, frankly. The two other main female characters get arguably more screentime than Pink and are far more impressive with it, and Pink gets some nice moments every so often despite her character being a bit too by-the-book (and, yes, arguably offensive). That doesn't excuse it, and Platinum's history with female characters is pretty shonky regardless, but it could've been far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010